Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
He’s not a playoff type - unless someone can prove me wrong

I listen to TSN Overdrive to and from work. Ray Ferraro yesterday said it best - you can’t win in the playoffs with small, non physical players. You need ‘giants’ out there to handle the physical play. Terry is not that

Tough to prove you wrong when Terry has yet to play in an NHL playoff game. I guess McDonald and Selanne weren't winners in the playoffs either. How do you know what we can get from Zegras when he also hasn't played a game in the playoffs, and is smaller than Terry?

There's all types of "playoff" styles. You can't win with only skill guys, you also can't win with only grinders. Every team has a mixture.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
He’s not a playoff type - unless someone can prove me wrong

I listen to TSN Overdrive to and from work. Ray Ferraro yesterday said it best - you can’t win in the playoffs with small, non physical players. You need ‘giants’ out there to handle the physical play. Terry is not that
5’9” Marchessault just won the Conn Smythe (though I still think it should’ve been Eichel).

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
When Madden was asked about late risers, amidst his answer, he said:

“You have to look at the season or the previous two seasons as a whole to try to predict what the future five will look like. So that's the way we go about it.”

That doesn’t make it sound like they’d take a “late riser” in Sennecke, who performed better in the second half than the first.

To me, that makes it sound like Sennecke might not be a late riser for them. He might have been high on their list all along due to the underlying skill set, and the second half surge in production was what got the public on board.

I think what Madden's saying is that "late risers" in the public sphere are completely divorced from the internal conclusions teams have drawn. So Sennecke's rise might not tell the Ducks anything they don't already know.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
To me, that makes it sound like Sennecke might not be a late riser for them. He might have been high on their list all along due to the underlying skill set, and the second half surge in production was what got the public on board.

I think what Madden's saying is that "late risers" in the public sphere are completely divorced from the internal conclusions teams have drawn. So Sennecke's rise might not tell the Ducks anything they don't already know.
Yeah, he made that pretty clear that "late risers" are a phenomenon of the public crowd who likes to armchair scout.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
When Madden was asked about late risers, amidst his answer, he said:

“You have to look at the season or the previous two seasons as a whole to try to predict what the future five will look like. So that's the way we go about it.”

That doesn’t make it sound like they’d take a “late riser” in Sennecke, who performed better in the second half than the first.

Not even the second half of the season. It was the last 12 games of the regular season and playoffs.

Sennecke
SeasonGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
D+0
63​
27​
41​
68​
1.08​
33​
Oct-Jan
42​
15​
24​
39​
0.93​
16​
Feb-Mar
21​
12​
17​
29​
1.38​
17​
Playoffs
16​
10​
12​
22​
1.38​
9​

Now, let's look that that Feb-Mar group.

SenneckeLast21 games
SeasonGamesGAPtsPPG+/-
Las 21 games
21​
12​
17​
29​
1.38​
17​
First 9
9​
5​
2​
7​
0.78​
-2​
Last 12 games
12​
7​
15​
22​
1.83​
19​

That's a very small sample when compared to 63 regular season games.

There is definitely a risk with Sennecke because we don't know if it did take him that long to get accustomed to his taller and longer frame.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
What’s the justification on taking Silayev over Demidov ? I must be missing something as it makes no sense
He's a prospect who could become one of the best defensive dmen in the NHL. Demidov could become one of the best offensive wingers. It's a matter of taste and who they think is likelier to hit that projection.

Reactions: Kalv

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Also people will always speculate if certain teams think about him playing over in Russia is an issue of itself and then for him specifically the level of competition. Not that the last one is his fault at all

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
What’s the justification on taking Silayev over Demidov ? I must be missing something as it makes no sense
Watching the recently concluded playoffs should make the answer self-evident. Assuming that the Ducks believe Silayev can contribute some offense in addition to defense, he will be a monster playoff performer in a few years. It's all about roster composition as opposed to creating an all-star team.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
Current Vegas odds for whatever it's worth

1719434075694.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad