Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think we're more likely to see Sean Walker than Roy. Rangers have sniffed around walker for a while. He'll be cheaper and hes good so I'm good with it. Can't imagine they're moving Trouba with out a replacement lined up.

I'd rather trade for Zegras than sign Kane.

At least one has some upside though I know how that one likely turns out. I can guarantee Kane's numbers fall off a cliff and he isn't the answer for the wonder twins.

Amazing that they're going to move on from 2 of the 3 guys I really wanted them to move on from but it looks like they're going to keep the guy who they reallllly needed to move on from.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I liked Robertson when I saw him in his first Traverse City tournament....however, he hasn't really progressed as much as I thought he would. The injury he had really didn't help his progress either. At this point in time, I'm not surprised at their (supposed) decision.

I'd go as far as saying he hasn't progressed at all. He's the same guy he was the day he turned pro. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Reactions: majordomo

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think we're more likely to see Sean Walker than Roy. Rangers have sniffed around walker for a while. He'll be cheaper and hes good so I'm good with it. Can't imagine they're moving Trouba with out a replacement lined up.

At least one has some upside though I know how that one likely turns out. I can guarantee Kane's numbers fall off a cliff and he isn't the answer for the wonder twins.

Amazing that they're going to move on from 2 of the 3 guys I really wanted them to move on from but it looks like they're going to keep the guy who they reallllly needed to move on from.
Zegras would be far more interesting just because of the upside potential, even though he falls into the same boat as Kane stylistically. I get options are limited and there’s a cap crunch for next season so maybe the Rangers aren’t willing to add someone with multiple years, but it’s a bit disappointing to see these are the targets for the 1st line RW spot.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

Agreed. I don't think Kane comes here & does what he did last season... maybe that's because I saw what he did do while here (yes I know he had surgery)

Zegras would hurt but getting younger would make me happier than going w/an Kane hoping he can age like Marty St. Louis

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Zegras would be far more interesting just because of the upside potential, even though he falls into the same boat as Kane stylistically. I get options are limited and there’s a cap crunch for next season so maybe the Rangers aren’t willing to add someone with multiple years, but it’s a bit disappointing to see these are the targets for the 1st line RW spot.

Oh I know it’s not a fit with Zegras either but we’re going to go that route I’d rather him than Kane. At least with him there is the element of possible improvement.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA

There isn't much of a cap crunch per say this coming season. If there is no dead weight coming back in addition to the retention in the Trouba deal, they Rangers will have about $18.5M in cap space with 12 forwards (Kreider, Zib, Panarin, Trocheck, Laff, Chytil, Kakko, Cuylle, Vesey, Brodz, Rempe and Edstrom) 3 Dmen (Fox, Miller and Jones) and 2 goalies (Shesh and Quick).

Schneider and Lindgren shouldn't top about $5M of that unless they want to lock up Schneider long term which i would not be against.

That would be around $13M for 2 Dmen and 2 forwards with most being depth players aside from (hopefully) a top 4 LD and a top 6 RW.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
There isn't much of a cap crunch per say this coming season. If there is no dead weight coming back in addition to the retention in the Trouba deal, they Rangers will have about $18.5M in cap space with 12 forwards (Kreider, Zib, Panarin, Trocheck, Laff, Chytil, Kakko, Cuylle, Vesey, Brodz, Rempe and Edstrom) 3 Dmen (Fox, Miller and Jones) and 2 goalies (Shesh and Quick).

Schneider and Lindgren shouldn't top about $5M of that unless they want to lock up Schneider long term which i would not be against.

That would be around $13M for 2 Dmen and 2 forwards with most being depth players aside from (hopefully) a top 4 LD and a top 6 RW.
2025 not this upcoming season is what I meant my bad

Reactions: UAGoalieGuy

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I could see Detroit being on his list of teams. He's from Michigan. He gets to Re-join his longtime buddy Andrew Copp.

With that said. I would highly doubt it would be a trade for just futures. Like picks or prospects etc. Money has to come the other way. Reports are Yzerman is looking to go hard for Stamkos.

For the Rangers, next season is the big cap crunch with Shesterkin, Lafreniere and Miller. If Trouba to Wings is real i would guess it for someone with an expiring contract after next year. Fabbri is the only forward that expires after next season. On D, Matta or Petry. Petry is #2RD now for the Wings.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
No it hasn't. Time zones are still a thing.
[/QUOTE]
Nothing says it can't be if Trouba waives early. Sounds like they've already approached him & Detroit is clearly not on his list of teams he won't go to. It's all semantics at this point anyway...it's not like he has to report there today or tomorrow. He's probably at some 5 star golf resort anyway.

No it hasn't. Time zones are still a thing.
Oops, yeah. My bad.

No need for the snark though.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Agreed. I don't think Kane comes here & does what he did last season... maybe that's because I saw what he did do while here (yes I know he had surgery)

Zegras would hurt but getting younger would make me happier than going w/an Kane hoping he can age like Marty St. Louis
But went Marty's game went south, it went south in a hurry.

Patty would do well here next year.
Maybe year 2 also.

Year 3? Ew.

Let's just say, I'm hoping for 2 yrs personally.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Tampa fan here:

Stamkos is a winger at this point. He is a way better finisher than playmaker. He's a good faceoff guy. You put him with a guy who can carry the puck and make a play and he'll still pot 35+ in his sleep. You put him on the left circle on the PP and your PP instantly becomes one of the best in the league if you run the right scheme. Dude is a warrior, even though his game hasn't always translated in the playoffs. He has had great playoff stretches though (including this year), and will give everything He's got. He's not the greatest making quick decisions with the puck. He'll do his best to win battles on the boards, but at this point won't be able to because of the wear on his body. He'll frustrate you sometimes for sure.

Overall, if you're looking for a champion that gives his all and makes your offense instantly dangerous with his goal scoring than he's your guy. If you're looking for him to transform your team and take over a playoff series that's not what you're gonna get.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Tampa fan here:

Stamkos is a winger at this point. He is a way better finisher than playmaker. He's a good faceoff guy. You put him with a guy who can carry the puck and make a play and he'll still pot 35+ in his sleep. You put him on the left circle on the PP and your PP instantly becomes one of the best in the league if you run the right scheme. Dude is a warrior, even though his game hasn't always translated in the playoffs. He has had great playoff stretches though (including this year), and will give everything He's got. He's not the greatest making quick decisions with the puck. He'll do his best to win battles on the boards, but at this point won't be able to because of the wear on his body. He'll frustrate you sometimes for sure.

Overall, if you're looking for a champion that gives his all and makes your offense instantly dangerous with his goal scoring than he's your guy. If you're looking for him to transform your team and take over a playoff series that's not what you're gonna get.
He'd be redundant here to Zibanejad anyway, who is also basically a winger at this point.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Tampa fan here:

Thanks for the update, sounds like a guy who’s not a great fit for the Rangers at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00