Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I wouldn't say that. A lot of fans didn't want McT but he was talked about as a possible pick. Hampus was really out of left field when he was picked.

While it may have seem like McTavish was talked about as a possible #3 pick, I think I was the only one who touted McTavish at #3, long before the rest of the scouting media started to change their ranking of McTavish. Even after updating their rankings, other scouting media didn't have McT up high. If I didn't pipe in with McTavish at #3, then this board wouldn't have thought of him as a potential pick. McTavish was an "out of left field" pick at #3.

NHL.com's Kimelman didn't have McTavish in his top-4 forward prospects

Smaht Scouting had McTavish going 15th OA.

MyNHLdraft had McTavish going 5th to Columbus.

Pronman's mock had McTavish going 6th to Detroit.

Pronman's ranking had McTavish in Tier 4 middle of the lineup forward, #9OA ranking.

McKenzie didn't have McTavish in his top-3 prospect ranking.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
While it may have seem like McTavish was talked about as a possible #3 pick, I think I was the only one who touted McTavish at #3, long before the rest of the scouting media started to change their ranking of McTavish. Even after updating their rankings, other scouting media didn't have McT up high. If I didn't pipe in with McTavish at #3, then this board wouldn't have thought of him as a potential pick. McTavish was an "out of left field" pick at #3.

Pronman's ranking had McTavish in Tier 4 middle of the lineup forward, #9OA ranking.

I do remember one person really hyping McTavish. Guessing it was you. It definitely sounded like a hot and unrealistic take. Good call

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The late firsts don't make much sense to me because those are all dart throws anyway. Jamie only stands out because they publicly said they were going dman no matter what in that draft.

Murray actually told us post 2019 draft that were gonna get a center with our first pick. We were fortunate to have Zegras fall to us. If Z wasn't there, then I think Krebs would have been our pick. We had a trade proposition in place if he fell to #18. Krebs got snatch up at #17.

Same thing for the 2021 draft, they wanted an impact forward despite D Hughes and D Clarke were available.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Agreed. It sounds to me like they are going to be drafting for upside.

So the question is, who would they deem to have the most upside?

I would think it takes Dickinson off the board.

I'm not so sure about that. Dickinson had a huge jump in production, both offensively and defensively, between D-1 and D+0 seasons. Same with Lev. Both making themselves into 2-way D-men. Their upside is still growing since they were able to improve so much between one summer.

Dickinson, Stats.png

Lev, USHL and NCAA stats.png

Lindstrom looks like he can be an offensive beast in the NHL.

Lindstrom, Cayden (EP card rating).png

Demidov might have the highest offensively upside of any player, including Celebrini. Demidov isn't the best 2-way forward. That title belongs to Celebrini.

Reactions: Dostwall

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
I'm not so sure about that. Dickinson had a huge jump in production, both offensively and defensively, between D-1 and D+0 seasons. Same with Lev. Both making themselves into 2-way D-men. Their upside is still growing since they were able to improve so much between one summer.

View attachment 885397

View attachment 885398

Lindstrom looks like he can be an offensive beast in the NHL.

View attachment 885399

Demidov might have the highest offensively upside of any player, including Celebrini. Demidov isn't the best 2-way forward. That title belongs to Celebrini.
Lindstrom would compliment our forward core so nicely. That injury is such a bummer, but if they don’t think it’s an issue I’m definitely ok with him as the pick.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
My question is, why are a ton of people who are looking into these prospects on* the outside so obsessed with Lindstrom and his injury, but yet doctors and GMs don’t? (Or they are not making it as big of a deal?)

I feel like this injury thing is being overblown. If his injury was that serious, wouldn’t he be dropping down the rankings?

Last edited:

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
My question is, why are a ton of people who are looking into these prospects out the outside so obsessed with Lindstrom and his injury, but yet doctors and GMs don’t? (Or they are not making it as big of a deal?)

I feel like this injury thing is being overblown. If his injury was that serious, wouldn’t he be dropping down the rankings?
The true test will be on draft night...he should go top 5.

Reactions: Trojans86

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
Am I the only one concerned if they take Silayev (who has to spend 2 more years in Russia) with the russia/ukranian conflict and other geopolitical bs going on?

I mean I know its impossible to tell if things will escalate or not, but its not out of the realm of possibilities for Putin to get in the way of him coming over here to play in some way.

idk, maybe im out to lunch

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Am I the only one concerned if they take Silayev (who has to spend 2 more years in Russia) with the russia/ukranian conflict and other geopolitical bs going on?

I mean I know its impossible to tell if things will escalate or not, but its not out of the realm of possibilities for Putin to get in the way of him coming over here to play in some way.

idk, maybe im out to lunch
Every Russian that has wanted to come over in the last couple of years has come over. There was just a mini-combine in Florida featuring many Russian prospects. Arizona drafted two Russians at 6 and 12 last year. Madden just said in the Derek Lee interview that the organization wouldn't have a problem drafting Russians.

It's not an issue to take a Russian like Demidov or Silayev if they are the impact player PV/MM want.

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
Am I the only one concerned if they take Silayev
I can’t speak to any political stuff going on, but I am slightly concerned that Silayev wasn’t at the combine or the agent’s showcase.

To me, that’s a way bigger concern than Demidov’s status.

At the end of the day, I don’t think it’s a huge deal. Just draft who you deem the best player.

Reactions: lwvs84

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I can’t speak to any political stuff going on, but I am slightly concerned that Silayev wasn’t at the combine or the agent’s showcase.

To me, that’s a way bigger concern than Demidov’s status.

At the end of the day, I don’t think it’s a huge deal. Just draft who you deem the best player.
Not picking on you, but I’ve seen this question before. This was the agent’s showcase for players he represents (which is why players from previous drafts were there). Silayev is not represented by his agency. Contrary to what seems to be the popular belief, Milstein represents many Russian players but not all of them.

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
Not picking on you, but I’ve seen this question before. This was the agent’s showcase for players he represents (which is why players from previous drafts were there). Silayev is not represented by his agency. Contrary to what seems to be the popular belief, Milstein represents many Russian players but not all of them.
Oh yeah, I get why he wasn’t there. (I don’t feel picked on, don’t worry)

I’m just saying that if you’re gonna have concern over any Russian player, I’d be more concerned about the one who you haven’t had the chance to speak with in person. But like I said, I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Reactions: ADHB

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

I had us picking Big Mac early as well.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
My question is, why are a ton of people who are looking into these prospects on* the outside so obsessed with Lindstrom and his injury, but yet doctors and GMs don’t? (Or they are not making it as big of a deal?)

I shared this thought a while back on this thread. If Lindstrom's injury was so bad like Luneau or Krebs, then he wouldn't still be considered in the top-10 for lots of mocks. Krebs fell to 17th. Luneau fell to 53rd of the second round.

Since the a doctors have stated that Lindstrom's back injury didn't require surgery, it's a common injury, it shouldn't bother him going forward, and proving it didn't bother him at the combine workouts, then he's gone from top-10 and back into the top-5 for lots of mocks. The fact he was still considered a top-10 prospect before the combine and good doctors' recommendations means his injury isn't going to hamper his play all that much.

IMO, Lindstrom's drop from top-5 to top-10 was due to him not being on the ice for the second half of the season. Do you bank on his first half? Or if you go deeper dive do you go with his D-1 and first half of his D+0 season?

Lindstrom, EP stats.png

Lindstrom made a significant jump in goal scoring and scoring between his D-1 and D+0 seasons. He's already 6'4 and 216 lbs! He could be a "one-and-done, D+1" like McTavish. McTavish played in only 24 total games in his D+0 season: 13 NL-B reg season games, 4 NL-B playoff games, and 7 WJC-18 games.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Oh yeah, I get why he wasn’t there. (I don’t feel picked on, don’t worry)

I’m just saying that if you’re gonna have concern over any Russian player, I’d be more concerned about the one who you haven’t had the chance to speak with in person. But like I said, I don’t think it’s a big deal.
I think he'll be here before the draft, and they can interview him face to face then. And I believe he's been willing to do phone or zoom interviews from Russia.

Reactions: Dostwall

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Madden had some interesting comments

He said they've debated 8 players for the 3rd pick

When asked about the defensemen his comments about Silayev stood out to me, when you call a kid a unicorn that means you think he can be special
Yeah.
Last year Madden's comments ended up being a good hint they weren't going Fantilli.
He gave the most boring vanilla view of Fantilli but gave such nice compliment view of Carlsson and Smith. It was enough for me then I started believing they were gonna pass on Fantilli the day before the draft.

He now gives sort of a boring view of Levshevnov while quite the praise towards Buium and Silayev.
Sounds like they are passing on Levshunov.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I feel like Chicago ends up going levshunov…. They likely another 2 years at the bottom and will have plenty of chances to fill forwards in those drafts.

Rhd is the hardest spot to fill in nhl, if you can find an impactful one at the draft I think you take it

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Another thing Madden has said is that pick 3 will be an impact player within 5 years. That seems like a long time so the player we select may have a bit of development to go until they are ready
That can apply to Demidov, Buium, Yakemchuck and Silayev.
To me Levshunov, Lindstrom and Dickinson won't need as long before making an impact.

Demidov is 6'05 so he's gotta get stronger and it'll be a few years before he's putting up 60+ points like Zegras, would like to see him dominate AHL after he's out of the KHL but he might just be too good for it. Buium also needs to get stronger since he's only 6'05 and needs to develop more.
Yakemcchuck needs to work on his defensive side and skating for a few years.
Silayev will need a bit of time like Chara did before making an impact, he's got 2 years of development in KHL and then in the NHL he'll start off slowly. I think its very possible given how the coaches wanted Silayev to play more defensively, that his offensive is underrated and his defense overrated.

I think Size of Demidov and Buium shouldn't discount the impact they could have cause its not like they are Mitchkov/Zellweger level of small.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
That can apply to Demidov, Buium, Yakemchuck and Silayev.
To me Levshunov, Lindstrom and Dickinson won't need as long before making an impact.

Demidov is 6'05 so he's gotta get stronger and it'll be a few years before he's putting up 60+ points like Zegras, would like to see him dominate AHL after he's out of the KHL but he might just be too good for it. Buium also needs to get stronger since he's only 6'05 and needs to develop more.
Yakemcchuck needs to work on his defensive side and skating for a few years.
Silayev will need a bit of time like Chara did before making an impact, he's got 2 years of development in KHL and then in the NHL he'll start off slowly. I think its very possible given how the coaches wanted Silayev to play more defensively, that his offensive is underrated and his defense overrated.

I think Size of Demidov and Buium shouldn't discount the impact they could have cause its not like they are Mitchkov/Zellweger level of small.
Got to include Sennecke as well. He had a massive growth spurt and will need to bulk up considerably to fill his 6'2.75 frame

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad