Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I personally wouldn't trade Zegras. I would play him at center and let him shine.

However, if management thinks that a top line W and D are what's missing from a cup contending core then trading Zegras can make sense. You can fill both of those with #3 and #5 picks.

Why trade Zegras to draft a similar caliber forward? Because Zegras has never been good on the wing. So, if the solution to the wing problem is Zegras, then you're probably better off trading him and drafting a winger.

Like I said though, I personally wouldn't trade him. But, if you keep him he has to play center.

Perry was Here

Jun 17, 2024
What?? You think they’d offer the 26oa? For a kid who scored 60 in his first two seasons? That would be a massive slap in the face offer. Frankly the only way I’d trade zegras for the 5th is if we didn’t think his style was how we wanted to play and was conducive to winning in the playoffs.
Are you going to trade a 5th OA for a player that just had groin problems, a broken ankle, a 15 point season and looked ineffective at the WC? The trade rumors began because the Montreal media thought they could get Zegras for cheap.

Perry was Here

Jun 17, 2024
Now I've definitely heard it all. A pick around 26 is what you trade for 2 months of a 2nd/3rd liner (like Henrique for example) or 2nd pairing D, not a 60-point (minimum) C/W who has at least 3 years of control left.
Actually, wanting to trade Zegras for a 5th OA in a crap draft is hearing it all.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
Actually, wanting to trade Zegras for a 5th OA in a crap draft is hearing it all.
Are you going to trade a 5th OA for a player that just had groin problems, a broken ankle, a 15 point season and looked ineffective at the WC? The trade rumors began because the Montreal media thought they could get Zegras for cheap.

Which one is it? Zegras isn't worth a 5th overall or the 5th overall in the "crap draft" isn't worth Zegras

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
so we just letting Habs fans troll our board now?

also it's incredbily stupid to value a player solely on a injured season (that came from freak accidents) and a pointless tournament the US never gives a f*** about, but then ignore the 2 full seasons of actual good play. if you're a Ducks fans, you're dumb, if you're a Habs fan get the f*** out

Perry was Here

Jun 17, 2024
Which one is it? Zegras isn't worth a 5th overall or the 5th overall in the "crap draft" isn't worth Zegras
1st. I don't want to trade Zegras
2nd. I don't think Montreal would trade the 5th for Zegras
3rd. They would try to get him cheaper
4th. All of you sound like you want to trade Zegras to Montreal so you must be Montreal fans.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
1st. I don't want to trade Zegras
2nd. I don't think Montreal would trade the 5th for Zegras
3rd. They would try to get him cheaper
4th. All of you sound like you want to trade Zegras to Montreal so you must be Montreal fans.
I don't want to trade Zegras he's my favorite player, I just thought it was funny that you are saying Montreal would never trade the 5th overall for Zegras because it's too valuable for such a broken down shitty player and they'd try to get him cheaper while also saying that you wouldn't trade Zegras for that 5th overall because it's a crap draft and you obviously think he's worth more than that 5th overall pick.

Perry was Here

Jun 17, 2024
I don't want to trade Zegras he's my favorite player, I just thought it was funny that you are saying Montreal would never trade the 5th overall for Zegras because it's too valuable for such a broken down shitty player and they'd try to get him cheaper while also saying that you wouldn't trade Zegras for that 5th overall because it's a crap draft and you obviously think he's worth more than that 5th overall pick.
I don't think Montreal would consider the 5th when Zegras is at his lowest value. He's at his lowest value because of a 15 point season and injuries. Also, if there is any truth to the rumor that Verbeek's price was either Guhle or Reinbacher and Montreal still said no, then they do not value Zegras very high and be more inclined to offer the 26th OA + a roster player they could do without. Which would be extremely obscene.

My value of Zegras is much higher than a 5th OA pick. If this draft was deep and had unbelievable players and there was someone I thought would be an upgrade over Zegras then I would consider it. If it was the 2022 draft where Jiricek, Gauthier and Mintyukov were available at 5th OA then I would consider it. However I don't think in the cap era, there has ever been a team trading a 5th OA or better on draft day in between the 3rd selection and the pending 5th selection which was suggested.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't think Montreal would consider the 5th when Zegras is at his lowest value. He's at his lowest value because of a 15 point season and injuries. Also, if there is any truth to the rumor that Verbeek's price was either Guhle or Reinbacher and Montreal still said no, then they do not value Zegras very high and be more inclined to offer the 26th OA + a roster player they could do without. Which would be extremely obscene.

My value of Zegras is much higher than a 5th OA pick. If this draft was deep and had unbelievable players and there was someone I thought would be an upgrade over Zegras then I would consider it. If it was the 2022 draft where Jiricek, Gauthier and Mintyukov were available at 5th OA then I would consider it. However I don't think in the cap era, there has ever been a team trading a 5th OA or better on draft day in between the 3rd selection and the pending 5th selection which was suggested.

What you're saying is MTL is trying to buy extremely on the cheap by focusing only on one out of three full seasons by Zegras, which was marred by injury. Injuries are bad luck. They, MTL, will only send the 26th OA.

Yet you believe Zegras is worth more than the 5th.

Who cares what MTL thinks, especially if you believe last year was probably the outlier in Zegras' three full seasons in the NHL. Two years of 60+ points on a rebuild team vs one bad year full of injuries.

Zegras
DateGame setGamesGAPtsppg+/-
2023-24Total
31​
6​
9​
15​
0.484​
-1​
Oct to Nov1 to 12
12​
1​
1​
2​
0.167​
-4​
Dec to Jan13 to 20
8​
3​
2​
5​
0.625​
-1​
Mar to Apr21 to 31
11​
2​
6​
8​
0.727​
4​

It's very interesting to notice each time Z returned from injury his scoring rate and defense improved. (Source: Hockey-Reference) Z's was able to recover his scoring prowess last year despite it being a bad season. Why even sell at all?

There's no need to take MTL's position when it's a cow manure position to begin with.

Perry was Here

Jun 17, 2024
What you're saying is MTL is trying to buy extremely on the cheap by focusing only on one out of three full seasons by Zegras, which was marred by injury. Injuries are bad luck. They, MTL, will only send the 26th OA.

Yet you believe Zegras is worth more than the 5th.

Who cares what MTL thinks, especially if you believe last year was probably the outlier in Zegras' three full seasons in the NHL. Two years of 60+ points on a rebuild team vs one bad year full of injuries.

Zegras
DateGame setGamesGAPtsppg+/-
2023-24Total
31​
6​
9​
15​
0.484​
-1​
Oct to Nov1 to 12
12​
1​
1​
2​
0.167​
-4​
Dec to Jan13 to 20
8​
3​
2​
5​
0.625​
-1​
Mar to Apr21 to 31
11​
2​
6​
8​
0.727​
4​

It's very interesting to notice each time Z returned from injury his scoring rate and defense improved. (Source: Hockey-Reference) Z's was able to recover his scoring prowess last year despite it being a bad season. Why even sell at all?

There's no need to take MTL's position when it's a cow manure position to begin with.
I never suggested trading Zegras for the 5th. I just said I don't think Montreal would. On draft day. In between the 3rd and 5th selection.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If the Ducks are intrigued by Sennecke they should just take him at 3OA.

If the Ducks take Demidov at 3OA I could easily see a Zegras trade to Montreal being announced less than 30 minutes later.
I still have trouble seeing any , trade that doesn't help us next year.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I guess we’ll just have to the situation play out.
I suppose so. And to be clear, I understand there can be other moves to improve the team and trading Z wouldn't be the only thing he does. I'm just of the opinion that PV would just be making his job harder by making extra work for himself.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I warmed up to Lindstrom. At first I thought his hockey iq was too low and he was going to be a guy that dominated juniors where he was a man amongst boys. I’m starting to see him as an extremely complimentary winger that can score and change the entire dna of our team. I wouldn’t mind at all if we took him and tried to hunt for a defensive rhd with our next two picks. I think there is a decent shot to find a defensive top 4 d with a late first or early second.

Maybe move up with our 2nd pick and try to get Emery. That’s a home draft draft if you ask me.

Last edited:

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Zegras is 23 and has 154 points in 211 games on truly, historically bad teams. Nearly every professional hockey person and most fans online agree he has immense talent and the potential to score way more in the future. The only logical trade is for an upgrade, not picks.

Again, it is bonkers to me that anyone thinks trading Zegras for picks makes sense. Let's do the math: say the Ducks trade Zegras to Montreal for the 5th and they pick a forward at #5. That player will need a minimum of 1 year and most likely at least 2 before playing NHL games. Typically, it takes players a few years to figure out the NHL and consistently contribute in a meaningful way. So, that #5 pick won't be contributing meaningfully for realistically 4+ years. Additionally, that player may never reach their potential.

So, the Ducks trade a player they spent years developing, who has the potential to break out in a huge way or who at least can contribute 60+ points per year for a mystery box that will take years to find develop, may not be as good, and may never work out at all. Somehow, this makes sense? Trading Zegras for picks is nonsensical and, if PV were to do this, he should lose his job for terrible asset management. It literally makes no sense unless you don't want to see the Ducks ever improve as a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad