Confirmed with Link: SKA Officially Terminates Matvei Michkov’s Contract - He’s Coming!

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
That's a false dichotomy though, and you're ignoring the part of the equation where Johansen's $4MM would also be used to acquire more assets. Would you rather have #28-32 or mid-late 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th? It's less of a slam dunk that it appears just because "1st rounder." Even if they buy out Johansen, he's on the cap in 2025-26, with Hilferty already doing jazz hands about free agency.

Jake Walman, who has been useful recently and has rehab value, was traded at $3.4MM x 2 years for pick #53 the week of the draft. Hell, I remember the Flyers asked for a 1st last fall to take on Joseph, a solid player, from Ottawa at $2.95MM x 3 years. Taking on absolutely useless cap dumps you don't want to play will cost. The Walker trade was......fine. It's nowhere near as bad as the bath they took on Petersen at 2 x$5MM for an AHLer.
I'd do the Walker trade 10/10 times again if I could. It's one year of RyanJo as of right now.

What realistically are they getting to take on with 4MM? Another 2? a 3?

Rather see what happens with the Avs and maybe we get lucky and it lands in the lower 20s.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
It's fine you want to believe and that you would like to convince others to try, but this isn't going to help make anyone feel better about the management of the team. He didn't do anything remarkable to "handle" the Hart situation. He appears to have done some good behind the scenes work to get Fedotov out, but it's unclear if Ivan is even an NHLer, let alone worth 3+ per. He may have done some good work to get Michkov over, but I suspect that was going to happen regardless. The Provorov trade was fine. The Walker trade was fine. Poehling is fine. Tippet's extension is maybe fine? Rizzo is a lottery ticket. Hathaway? Picks acquired via cap space is fine.

What's going to get people here on board with this management isn't any kind of a hard sell from the organization, the media, or other fans, but rather when the process starts looking right. If they come out of the draft having focused on BPA over fit, high ceiling over high floor, speed/skill/IQ over grit/size/safe, then people might start to be a little more optimistic around here.
Find me any part of that post that's trying to convince anyone of anything. Find me the hard sell. I was just stating an opinion on Brieres moves so far. I'm genuinely excited that we might actually be going in the right direction.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
These are all 4th line stats

ESP/60
Cates 1.32
Poehling 1.28
Hathaway 0.94

Bu-bu-but they're so good defensively that it makes up for anemic offense! Nope. The only forwards with a worse ES GF% than that trio were Nic D and Cam A.

I would wager real human money that if you could ask and get an honest answer, management would admit that they think you can have too much talent and that having you much talent is a LOT worse than not having enough.

The only "con" I can think of for Michkov coming over is that it will make them think "ah shit we've hit our talent limit." Of course, the cap situation means the end result is the same regardless of the actual thought process

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
“Briere has made some solid moves so far”

>ohhh Mr. Positivity over here, bet you love Torts too
>bunch of fourth liners nothing to see
>lmao, as if anything has changed
>none of those things count because they’re not home runs
>look at the positivity police trying to convince us everything is hunky dory
>sure but he didn’t weaponize cap space ENOUGH
>the authentics are so stupid they think everything is perfect

Someone should make an HFFlyers meme.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
This thread was going great until one guy said he thought Briere is maybe decent, and a dozen people piled on to say “lmao no he’s not, it’s all shit you contrarian freak”

Reactions: Jettany

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This thread was going great until one guy said he thought Briere is maybe decent, and a dozen people piled on to say “lmao no he’s not, it’s all shit you contrarian freak”

You actually have no idea of the background here or the context. It's ok to admit ignorance and walk away!

Fact is, you saw people in agreement based.on that context and therefore you had to take the opposite stance whether it's right or not!

You can keep being wrong if you want! But it looks weird!

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Hard to be positive when the trends we’ve seen forever still remain.

What’s there to be excited about? Hoping Torts doesn’t f*** over the one above average they have in Matvei?

They had a chance for change after Hextall. Ran back to the old ways. Had a chance after Fletcher, and Scott. Doubled down on keeping the country club together, with better optics/marketing.

They care more about honouring the past, and ensuring the country club has been “right” in their philosophies - than actual success.

f*** ‘em all

The most exciting thing is Chloe Laughton.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'll say it once because the thread needs to get back to happy and positive discussion, which is our usual habit when left to our own devices:

There are numerous people here who routinely express optimism and hope. They may meet disagreement (but often they do not!), but overall they have a smooth experience because they're just talking about the team we all love. The idea that all positivity is rewarded with a call of heresy is negative garbage. It is untrue. A lie.

Do you know what is met with hostility? Being a dick. That's all it comes down to. It's that simple. Being a dick is negative behavior, and will be met with the same.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'll say it once because the thread needs to get back to happy and positive discussion, which is our usual habit when left to our own devices:

There are numerous people here who routinely express optimism and hope. They may meet disagreement, but overall they have a smooth experience because they're just talking about the team we all love. The idea that all positivity is rewarded with a call of heresy is negative garbage. It is untrue.

Do you know what is met with hostility? Being a dick. That's all it comes down to. It's that simple. Being a dick is negative behavior, and will be met with the same.
This is the exact opposite of what’s going on! You guys are the ones being dicks! I don’t see anyone — literally zero people — being super positive or optimistic in this thread. I see *some* people expressing measured satisfaction with Briere’s performance to date, and I see dozens of sarcastic and dismissive responses calling those people pollyannas who make excuses for management.

You guys take any comment that expresses even a modicum of satisfaction with Briere/Jones and call that “positivity” and “optimism”. No! Just because people don’t meet your incessant level of criticism does not make them hopeful or optimistic. You are the biggest offender. Every other post you make is some unclever, sarcastic remark about “haha let’s all be optimistic”. Nobody is demanding optimism of you.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is the exact opposite of what’s going on! You guys are the ones being dicks! I don’t see anyone — literally zero people — being super positive or optimistic in this thread. I see *some* people expressing measured satisfaction with Briere’s performance to date, and I see dozens of sarcastic and dismissive responses calling those people pollyannas who make excuses for management.

You guys take any comment that expresses even a modicum of satisfaction with Briere/Jones and call that “positivity” and “optimism”. No! Just because people don’t meet your incessant level of criticism does not make them hopeful or optimistic.

I think you have a very negative outlook that prevents you from seeing the positivity. Let it shine in.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Find me any part of that post that's trying to convince anyone of anything. Find me the hard sell. I was just stating an opinion on Brieres moves so far. I'm genuinely excited that we might actually be going in the right direction.
“Briere has made some solid moves so far”

>ohhh Mr. Positivity over here, bet you love Torts too
>bunch of fourth liners nothing to see
>lmao, as if anything has changed
>none of those things count because they’re not home runs
>look at the positivity police trying to convince us everything is hunky dory
>sure but he didn’t weaponize cap space ENOUGH
>the authentics are so stupid they think everything is perfect

Someone should make an HFFlyers meme.

Look, I'm trying to be conciliatory here, honestly, but this is the actual meme, not the other way around. If BStix just says kudos to Danny for getting Michkov to come over earlier than expected, then none of this "piling on" happens. He'd even get some affirmative grunts and nods from the crowd. Instead we're treated to, let's face it, an underwhelming list of pros that have absolutely nothing to do with Michkov. It sure as hell reads like a hard sell to try to change the tenor of the discussion surrounding management. Which is fine, I guess, but then expect lots of pushback when you start talking up the Hart situation, Hathaway, etc. That's not negativity for negativity's sake, it's not shutting down a dissenting opinion in bad faith, and it's not unwarranted, because much of what was on the list is nothing for anyone to hang their hats on.

Honestly, all I want is for the Flyers to have an absolutely stellar draft this weekend. I think that's all anyone here wants. We'd all genuinely love to be excited about the team again.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Look, I'm trying to be conciliatory here, honestly, but this is the actual meme, not the other way around. If BStix just says kudos to Danny for getting Michkov to come over earlier than expected, then none of this "piling on" happens. He'd even get some affirmative grunts and nods from the crowd. Instead we're treated to, let's face it, an underwhelming list of pros that have absolutely nothing to do with Michkov. It sure as hell reads like a hard sell to try to change the tenor of the discussion surrounding management. Which is fine, I guess, but then expect lots of pushback when you start talking up the Hart situation, Hathaway, etc. That's not negativity for negativity's sake, it's not shutting down a dissenting opinion in bad faith, and it's not unwarranted, because much of what was on the list is nothing for anyone to hang their hats on.

Honestly, all I want is for the Flyers to have an absolutely stellar draft this weekend. I think that's all anyone here wants. We'd all genuinely love to be excited about the team again.
Nobody’s trying to change anyone’s opinion on any of those things. That wasn’t a “hard sell”. That’s one dude telling you his opinion, and then dozens of frequent posters entering with hostility to tell him he’s wrong for believing it.

The hostility was not from the person expressing moderate satisfaction with Briere. It was entirely from the hoarde that (as usual) piled on to say “no, it all sucks and you’re silly for thinking anything otherwise”.

I don’t know. Maybe people can’t see it when they’re part of the crowd, but this is obviously what happened. It feels like trying to explain water to a fish. It’s just the level of righteous indignation that I find genuinely fascinating. People are legitimately *upset* to see fans who are not quite as despondent as them. And it’s not even fans who are overly happy! Just moderate expressions of cautious satisfaction set this off!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nobody’s trying to change anyone’s opinion on any of those things. That wasn’t a “hard sell”. That’s one dude telling you his opinion, and then dozens of frequent posters entering with hostility to tell him he’s wrong for believing it.

The hostility was not from the person expressing moderate satisfaction with Briere. It was entirely from the hoarde that (as usual) piled on to say “no, it all sucks and you’re silly for thinking anything otherwise”.

I don’t know. Maybe people can’t see it when they’re part of the crowd, but this is obviously what happened. It feels like trying to explain water to a fish. It’s just the level of righteous indignation that I find genuinely fascinating. People are legitimately *upset* to see fans who are not quite as despondent as them. And it’s not even fans who are overly happy! Just moderate expressions of cautious satisfaction set this off!

Ok, my actual last word: he absolutely is trying to change opinions. He gets extremely angry that people aren't as optimistic as him. This has happened numerous times. He comes in and starts shitting on everyone who expressed any scrap of skepticism about anything. This is why I say you are clearly missing context here, as I don't recall seeing you around the prior times he's done it.

In short, he acts like a dick and then gets mad when people don't love it.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Ok, my actual last word: he absolutely is trying to change opinions. He gets extremely angry that people aren't as optimistic as him. This has happened numerous times. He comes in and starts shitting on everyone who expressed any scrap of skepticism about anything. This is why I say you are clearly missing context here, as I don't recall seeing you around the prior times he's done it.

In short, he acts like a dick and then gets mad when people don't love it.
Again, a total inversion of the situation. Perhaps consider why it is SO inflammatory and triggering when someone — just one person! — expresses mild satisfaction.

There are posters here who literally post nothing but scorching rage at everything the Flyers do, and they get no critical response from the crowd. But the second someone says “I actually kinda like Briere so far”, it’s pages and pages of sarcastic remarks, unresponsive doomerism, etc. Maybe try considering why that sentiment is SO controversial here?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Again, a total inversion of the situation. Perhaps consider why it is SO inflammatory and triggering when someone — just one person! — expresses mild satisfaction.

There are posters here who literally post nothing but scorching rage at everything the Flyers do, and they get no critical response from the crowd. But the second someone says “I actually kinda like Briere so far”, it’s pages and pages of sarcastic remarks, unresponsive doomerism, etc. Maybe try considering why that sentiment is SO controversial here?

But people express mild satisfaction all the time without getting that reaction. That's the thing. I've even done it! Nothing about the opinion itself is controversial. The entire presentation is.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Angst, here

You guys take any comment that expresses even a modicum of satisfaction with Briere/Jones and call that “positivity” and “optimism”. No! Just because people don’t meet your incessant level of criticism does not make them hopeful or optimistic. You are the biggest offender. Every other post you make is some unclever, sarcastic remark about “haha let’s all be optimistic”. Nobody is demanding optimism of you.
This place is like a long Beavis and Butthead episode, where one is only cool if they criticize everything.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

I can genuinely say, hand on heart, that it was meant as a, " Briere is getting some positive shit done", just a list of stuff that I'm actually happy we (as in the organisation) have achieved, it wasn't meant to incite another round of bashing. The fact that it was taken as that is pretty shitty.

I don't think many people actually expected to see Michov for another 2 years. We got him and Fedotov now. I'm excited, f*** me I guess.

It's getting pretty tiresome that anything that isn't negative is met with this "Mr positivity" or "authentic" trope. If that doesn't work, then it's "stop policing the forums". It's getting to the point where it's pointless posting. I'll only get another infraction.

Edit: on cue....

Reactions: Random Forest

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Once again, no one was criticizing ANYTHING about Michkov coming over until Mr. Positivity came in with likely ulterior motives, based off of prior history, with his post.
It's lame that criticsm of the org, rightfully so, is labeled as negativity. You can be happy if you want for the fact that some 4th line caliber players (who the Flyers regularly target) got signed by the team, but it's a bad look to get mad when not everyone sports the same boner for said players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad