Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
That is very concerning for a 17yo. Its way too much risk to pick him early he is definitely dropping.

Apparently teams have said they aren’t phased by it and ultimately draft trends are on his side. 2012 was the last draft where only one center went in the top five and that was a brutal year for the position. Maybe there’s something of a similarity, like how Grigorenko dropped a ton(albeit for different reasons), but chances are someone bites. My best guess is Columbus, who badly need size and probably at least need a hedge at the position.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Apparently teams have said they aren’t phased by it and ultimately draft trends are on his side. 2012 was the last draft where only one center went in the top five and that was a brutal year for the position. Maybe there’s something of a similarity, like how Grigorenko dropped a ton(albeit for different reasons), but chances are someone bites. My best guess is Columbus, who badly need size and probably at least need a hedge at the position.
Fantilli- Lindstrom as a 1-2 punch is quite scary. That’s a matchup nightmare.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
The recent behind the bench podcast with Martin Madden leads me to believe Lindstroms health is not an issue. He is also the only player Martin specifically named in the interview (granted it was in reference to the time missed during the season)

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Not all herniated discs are the same. I had a skiing accident and had a bulging disc that was hitting a nerve and gave me sciatica. I tried everything to fix it before finally going to the doctor who told me this is a very simple procedure. They sucked out a little disc and within 2 hours from walking into the surgery center I was at home sleeping off the meds. One hour later I was 100% healed and walking around. The doctor even said there was zero recovery time other than the incision healing. I could literally run the next day.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Not all herniated discs are the same. I had a skiing accident and had a bulging disc that was hitting a nerve and gave me sciatica. I tried everything to fix it before finally going to the doctor who told me this is a very simple procedure. They sucked out a little disc and within 2 hours from walking into the surgery center I was at home sleeping off the meds. One hour later I was 100% healed and walking around. The doctor even said there was zero recovery time other than the incision healing. I could literally run the next day.
Microdiscectomy?

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Montreal isn't going to offer up the 5th OA for Zegras. Sorry. If the balked at Reinbacher as a return for Zegras then they'll say no with the 5th. If the 5th was on the table I would expect to see Necas in a Habs jersey before Zegras.
Just to be clear, the "they" that balked were not team GM's. They are just posters on a message board. A message board that continually over rates the promise of draft picks and prospects, and that rarely ever gets projected trade packages correct.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
as much as i like lindstrom's game and think he'd fit in perfectly here, taking him at 3 with where this franchise is at currently is far too big of a risk

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Just to be clear, the "they" that balked were not team GM's. They are just posters on a message board. A message board that continually over rates the promise of draft picks and prospects, and that rarely ever gets projected trade packages correct.
Not entirely accurate, if you assume the reported ask was accurate then the reports also said they did not feel Mtl would aggressively persue him. That seems like confirmation that they don't really like the ask.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I can't remember a draft where it was so uncertain who we would pick.

I was going to say it would be funny if we went with somebody not named yet, but pretty sure 100+ players have been mentioned in this thread at this point.

Reactions: Kalv and lwvs84

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
do the math: say the Ducks trade Zegras to Montreal for the 5th and they pick a forward at #5. That player will need a minimum of 1 year and most likely at least 2 before playing NHL games. Typically, it takes players a few years to figure out the NHL and consistently contribute in a meaningful way. So, that #5 pick won't be contributing meaningfully for realistically 4+ years. Additionally, that player may never reach their potential.
I feel like one factor we’re overlooking is if Zegras himself is frustrated with the Ducks.

Let’s do the math: say Zegras is frustrated with the Ducks. He’s an RFA in two years. Then he has arbitration rights. If he doesn’t want to sign long-term and forces his way out like we’ve seen other RFAs, the Ducks are in a bad spot.

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023
There are a lot of guys I really like in this draft, but I think I'm in the minority here:

The Ducks can afford to take a risk. If this pick is a complete miss, it will be a bummer, but I like the young talent enough that I think this team can still compete for a Stanley Cup even with a complete bust. I want a high ceiling guy who make the Ducks an overwhelming death star.

I'm not saying throw out the floor completely or chase a ceiling with a small likelihood of coming to fruition, but if they chase a ceiling of a Silayev or Lindstrom, I won't be disappointed.

This team isn't the Ducks or the Sharks where they have to get a bunch of solid players. This team has talent in the system ready to go.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Well, nobody had Hampus on their list. Can't be sure about the other years in between.
Yeah, that is more akin to the McTavish pick though, where we thought maybe player A or player B and we went off the boards with player C.

This year we're debating between player A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J lol

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I feel like one factor we’re overlooking is if Zegras himself is frustrated with the Ducks.

Let’s do the math: say Zegras is frustrated with the Ducks. He’s an RFA in two years. Then he has arbitration rights. If he doesn’t want to sign long-term and forces his way out like we’ve seen other RFAs, the Ducks are in a bad spot.
Outside of the contract negotiation which isn't unusual there hasn't been any indication that he is unhappy. I think that narrative is a projection to try and explain why something like these trade rumors COULD be true.

Reactions: Dostwall

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yeah, that is more akin to the McTavish pick though, where we thought maybe player A or player B and we went off the boards with player C.

This year we're debating between player A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J lol
I wouldn't say that. A lot of fans didn't want McT but he was talked about as a possible pick. Hampus was really out of left field when he was picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad