Transfer: Winter Transfer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Upamecano is terrific bringing the ball out from the back. He's as good with the ball as you'll see from a CB, and I think he's also more athletic.
Honestly I think Gomez and Upamecano are cut from the same cloth. Upamecano might have a higher ceiling because of his ability to carry the ball further but, they really are not too different from each other.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Honestly I think Gomez and Upamecano are cut from the same cloth. Upamecano might have a higher ceiling because of his ability to carry the ball further but, they really are not too different from each other.
If you asked me last season, I take Upa without question. I think I still take him but his recent form has definitely made it closer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you asked me last season, I take Upa without question. I think I still take him but his recent form has definitely made it closer.

Why? He's been very good this season despite the midfield in front of him really missing Laimer in that holding role...Kampl & Adams have done a fine job of filling in, but they don't provide nearly as much cover to the backline as Laimer & aren't as press-resistant with the ball.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

How many major surgeries has Gomez had now? Not trying to be a dick. But if they’re close, I’d consider injury history

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Upamecano is terrific bringing the ball out from the back. He's as good with the ball as you'll see from a CB, and I think he's also more athletic.
Those are two of Gomez's strongest traits, he's especially proficient at breaking the attacking line and driving into midfield with the ball. This year for example he's succeeded with every take-on he's attempted, and he's done more successful take-ons than Upamecano (the comparison here). His athleticism is also largely why he's used as the aggressive CB when paired with van Dijk, and can be used as a RB or LB as well.

Aside from injury, Liverpool very much believe in the ability of Gomez and it wouldn't make much sense for them to bring in a player that has basically the same profile, but isn't as proven.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Would make sense, as Upa is excellent with the ball. He plays a higher-risk style than most CBs and just like with Hummels (who plays a very similar style), that causes some folks who don't watch him regularly to focus too much on the times those risks bite him.

Missing how many more chances he cuts out before they even have the chance to materialize and how many chances he erases with his pressing-resistance on the ball. Klostermann & Konate are both very good, but they will have a much tougher job when Upa moves to Bavaria and we'll see them "suddenly making a lot more mistakes" than they were with Upamecano around.

Obviously, the kid can still improve his consistency further & he'll improve as he gets more experience against the best of the best, but some posters on here -- ironically some of the same ones who had no problem seeing this with Hummels when we were having these debates about him -- have been dramatically under-rating him & trying to judge him as though he played the Konate/Subotic role; rather than recognizing that he is the next evolution of the role that Mats pioneered.
Sounds a lot like Gomez, though I would say that Gomez has already reached a fairly high level of consistency. Unfortunately his injuries are starting to become a problem.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I mean LFC wanted Jonathan David this summer and could certainly use Botman now. At a minimum

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I get that Szoboszlai is built upon a lot of hype, but that seems like a complete steal. Is his contract running out or something?

Buyout clause that had to be triggered by last Tuesday and paid in full...plus Salzburg gets 20% of his next transfer fee.

A better metaphor would be one child giving part of their allowance to their younger sibling for that sibling's toy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Burner Account

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's not a manager though.

See above :)

I honestly think he’s gonna be at Barca. Laporte/Font presidency overmars as sporting director and Xavi as coach.
My bad. Just got off a little while ago and typed too quickly. You can insert anything in for manager and it describes Barca’s strategy the last few years. :laugh: Except Dest. He’s fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad