Winnipeg Naming Discussion pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazz

This boat is 4 real!
Nov 6, 2005
Do we know for sure that is True North?

With other recent trademarks they have used "6282980 Manitoba Limited Partnership" and the law firm they have used has been Aikins, Macaulay & Thorvaldson LLP.

I believe it to be legit, the date lines up and tnse have used this law firm.

This doesn't mean the team will be the Jets, even though it seems more and more likely. Tnse may simply want the rights to the name to make money off vintage merch. They could very well market a new brand and the Jets brand.

Metzen

Sep 9, 2005
I believe it to be legit, the date lines up and tnse have used this law firm.

This doesn't mean the team will be the Jets, even though it seems more and more likely. Tnse may simply want the rights to the name to make money off vintage merch. They could very well market a new brand and the Jets brand.

Does no one read what I write? I posted that at #861:

I don't know if anyone has connected the dots for the updated register of the Winnipeg Jet's trademark. The trademark has a "Security Agreement Placed on File" and the representative? A winnipeg firm called Pitblado LLP. Apparently, they have ownership stakes with True North.

Bruce King, managing partner of Pitblado LLP, says the growing number of healthy aboriginal-owned businesses is also keeping lawyers hopping. The biggest and most mainstream by far is the Tribal Councils Investment Group of Manitoba. Representing 55 Manitoba First Nations and more than 100,000 First Nation members, it has meaningful ownership stakes in Arctic Beverages, Perimeter Airlines, Bieber Securities, Big Freight Systems, First Canadian Fuels, First Nations Bank of Canada, True North Sports & Entertainment, Paragon Pharmacies, Westfield REIT, and Radisson Hotels.

I don't quite understand what a security agreement is though. CIPO explains it as:

Security Agreements

Publication Date: 1987-04-08

The Registrar of Trade Marks will permit the placement of "Security Agreements" on the files of trade marks in the circumstances where such trade marks have been put up as security. Notes to this effect may be entered on the register on payment of the amendment fee of $25.00. An example of the note places on the register in a recent case was "Security Agreement Placed on File - Jan. 1987".

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Do we know for sure that is True North?

With other recent trademarks they have used "6282980 Manitoba Limited Partnership" and the law firm they have used has been Aikins, Macaulay & Thorvaldson LLP.

There was a post in this thread that got buried about the connection to Pitblado. Someone involved with them is a stakeholder in TNSE.

EDIT: beat to the punch

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
When Bill Daly met with TNSE the other week, one of the topics they discussed was the name and branding. One thing that he was emphatic about was, that though the decision is ultimately up to the owners, there are guidelines that each team should follow as to respecting the identity and brands of other teams. Not infringing on them, and establishing their own identity.

For all intents and purposes, the Jets did NOT die in 1996. They moved to Phoenix. It seems like people here don't think much of the Coyote's fans. The attitude towards them is disdainful. I find that disturbing, and a bit sad. Considering that they've done nothing to slight Winnipeg, and have honored past Jets players, etc. Like it or not, I think we have to respect the Phoenix/Jets franchise. Yes, even though it is in limbo right now.

Regardless of the perceived size or passion of the fan bases, don't you think it would be somewhat disrespectful to the Thrashers and Coyotes fans to 'pretend' that this team is somehow the Jets franchise come back? Because it's not.

IMHO, asking the NHL to retcon history and strip it from the Phoenix franchise, stick it on our team, and pretend Atlanta never existed, is absolutely ridiculous.

And don't you think there is enough imagination behind the ownership, and passion with the fans here, that we could look forward and start something strong and fresh, instead of always looking back? There is a great opportunity here for that. I wore a Jets shirt today to the Goldeyes game, I cleaned my old caps the other day, and I dusted off that avatar of the car I designed in Forza to the left. I cried when the Jets left. Even still, I have to say that despite all this nostalgia and sentimentality I feel...I also feel it's a bit like constantly pining for an old girlfriend. It's a little sad, and it holds you back.

Again I think Chipman respects hockey history and continuity within the NHL. That talk Daly had with TNSE must only have reinforced that. Because of this I think the only way we will see the Jets return, is if they are called the Manitoba Jets. And we would not have the history of the Winnipeg Jets no matter what. I think that is firm. I don't think the NHL is willing to rearrange their history so readily.

All due respect, but that's incredibly convoluted. Virtually NOBODY is going to care about the Thrashers history in Winnipeg. Just like virtually NOBODY in Phoenix gives a damn about Jets history down there. Who does care about the name and the tradition? A hell of a lot of people in Winnipeg and the rest of Canada.

Going in a new direction because a couple of sweaters are hanging in the rafters in Glendale, AZ for the next 10-12 months is just absurd. It'd be like if the NFL brought back the "Ohio Browns" because, y'know, the new team wasn't really the same as the one that left for Baltimore.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
All due respect, but that's incredibly convoluted. Virtually NOBODY is going to care about the Thrashers history in Winnipeg. Just like virtually NOBODY in Phoenix gives a damn about Jets history down there. Who does care about the name and the tradition? A hell of a lot of people in Winnipeg and the rest of Canada.

Going in a new direction because a couple of sweaters are hanging in the rafters in Glendale, AZ for the next 10-12 months is just absurd. It'd be like if the NFL brought back the "Ohio Browns" because, y'know, the new team wasn't really the same as the one that left for Baltimore.

This. No one in Phoenix cares. The only Jet they brag about having in their history is Selanne.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
I keep seeing this link to the Winnipeg Jets trademark (posted first above). What does it mean?

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/t...184&extension=0&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=1

You see a trademark that was registered in Canada in 1990, after which several 'actions' have been noted. We see the current owner is the NHL and that a change of title was registered in 2000.

We see the name of a Winnipeg law firm, Pitblado LL.P., which was likely the firm used in the original registration back when Shenkarow et. al owned the Jets. In fact, Pitblado is listed as an "interested party" -- likely because they represented the previous owner of the trademark.

We see in 2002 a security interest recorded with similar actions taken in 2007 and 2011.

It looks like the NHL had at some point given Citibank a security interest in the Winnipeg Jets trademark (likely along with a bundle of other such intellectual property rights) to secure some type of obligation the NHL had to Citibank, likely some type of financing (see footnotes).

It appears that the recent noted action in 2011 was simply in relation to this obligation the NHL had to Citibank and similar to previous actions noted in 2002 and 2007.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the topic of this thread so perhaps I am missing something?

GHOST

Last edited:

Eaglepride*

I keep seeing this link to the Winnipeg Jets trademark (posted first above). What does it mean?

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/t...184&extension=0&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=1

You see a trademark that was registered in Canada in 1990, after which several 'actions' have been noted. We see the current owner is the NHL and that a change of title was registered in 2000.

We see the name of a Winnipeg law firm, Pitblado LL.P., which was likely the firm used in the original registration back when Shenkarow et. al owned the Jets. In fact, Pitblado is listed as an "interested party" -- likely because they represented the previous owner of the trademark.

We see in 2002 a security interest recorded with similar actions taken in 2007 and 2011.

It looks like the NHL had at some point given Citibank a security interest in the Winnipeg Jets trademark (likely along with a bundle of other such intellectual property rights) to secure some type of obligation the NHL had to Citibank, likely some type of financing (see footnotes).

It appears that the recent noted action in 2011 was simply in relation to this obligation the NHL had to Citibank and similar to previous actions noted in 2002 and 2007.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the topic of this thread so perhaps I am missing something?

GHOST

People are (rigthfully) assuming the security interest could be True North asking for the logo rights IF so, we'll have our answer.

To me its a no brainer Winnipeg has been dieing for the return of the Jets, they've shown tremendous support and passion (sold out in 3 days), screamed go Jets...I mean, how much more evidence does TNSE need from the fans?

BUT I think they should wait for the BoG cause you never know.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Code:

Peter I agree that there is no way this group didn't have the name ready to go.

They are very sharp people and at a minimum they are figuring out how best to launch their new name or more likely they are looking really hard at the Jets.

Let's say for one second they changed their mind due to the public outcry and TNSE decided on the Jets. That would mean they would have needed time to internally debate....they would have to inform the league of the move and the desire for the history of the team and retired numbers (this would be doable but might have some hair on it).....then they would need to convince any Thrashers Players to switch numbers in conflict with retired numbers unless they changed the policy....maybe a bit sensitive. Then they would need to possibly rebrand with new Jets logo....all printing on tickets and written material. Maybe a deal has to be struck with Manitoba lotteries on a repositioning of deal that may have been contingent on "Manitoba" being part of the name

All these issues and many more I haven't named could be a legit reason this is taking a while!

Peter I like your idea of the rollout concurrent with the 7th overall pick but I have one other idea

TNSE calls a press conference for Friday at noon eastern.....brown introduces Mark Chipman and Mark comes up to the microphone and says "I am here today to tell you that when we originally purchased the Atlanta thrashers we had planned to move forward in a new direction with a new name and had fully prepared for it. Due to the overwhelming outpouring of affection by our fans for the name "Jets" we decided to take time to reflect on this incredibly important decision. This is something we do not take lightly and we hear you. with that being said I would like to announce that we have decided to name our new NHL team the Winnipeg Jets (cue explosion of emotion and pandemonium)......due to the fact this direction was not decided on until last week we will be to going with the traditional sweater for this year and we will be running a contest over our first season for redesign and modernization of our Logo to be unveiled for the start of the 2012-13 season....once again we apologize for the delay and thank everyone for their patience on this highly sensitive and emotionally charged topic"

"we will open the floor now for question"

In my humble opinion this one simple move has little to no downside and a massive upside....they look smarter than ever for listening and adjusting the game plan

One mans opinion

I like this.

EDIT: Let's call them the Winnipeg Jetz :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Charlie Milles*

Say it with me everyone....

B-B-B-Bennie and the Jets :handclap:
Maxwell_Ben_1.jpg

Make him captain.

Lux Aurumque*

A deeper look into that trademark site shows that the same firm has gone after all Winnipeg Jets trademarks aside from the 70's-80's logo.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Will the winnipeg team have a name/logo/jersey for the draft? I think it would be kind of cool if they unveiled the jersey at the draft.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
People are (rigthfully) assuming the security interest could be True North asking for the logo rights IF so, we'll have our answer.

I'd say that people are (wrongfully) assuming the security interest has anything to do with True North. The security interest is likely held by a party that the NHL owes an obligation to -- most likely Citibank judging from the footnotes. The rights to the trademark are a kind of collateral for some obligation. That's why the security agreement was recorded.

GHOST

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010

GHOST

What you may be missing is that the security would possibly be transferred from the NHL to TNSE or its agents if TNSE was to acquire the Jets trademark from the league. Trademark goes to Winnipeg, so does the old security obligation. Perhaps TNSE assuming NHL obligations to Citibank is the price of regaining the old trademark and name.

I'm not sure this is any kind of smoking gun, but the timing here is odd.

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
What you may be missing is that the security would possibly be transferred from the NHL to TNSE or its agents if TNSE was to acquire the Jets trademark from the league. Trademark goes to Winnipeg, so does the old security obligation. Perhaps TNSE assuming NHL obligations to Citibank is the price of regaining the old trademark and name.

I'm not sure this is any kind of smoking gun, but the timing here is odd.

That Jets trademark link has circulated a couple of times as a "smoking gun" since TNSE was first rumored to be seriously pursuing a team. I don't believe it means anything. Pitblado has always been listed as the law firm, at least as of a couple of years ago - probably the law firm Barry Shenkarow used.

The same security agreement was modified on 06/02/2011 on the Quebec Nordiques trademark as well - also the same action 11/15/2002, and 01/17/2007 as with the Jets trademark.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/t...495&extension=0&startingDocumentIndexOnPage=1

Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
The only way I want the Jets to return is if the NHL not only gives the name but also the history of the Jets to the True North Franchise.

1) The name and all history of the Jets transfer to the True North Farnchise.

2) All Jets history is removed from the Phoenix Coyotes. Nobody in Phoenix cares about Hawerchuk or Hull or Steen or Essensa ;). Just start their history and records in 1996. All the banners etc are taken down..

The Jets/Yotes have banners? :amazed:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

See, I care about hockey history, and so do a few others here in this thread, or else we wouldn't be having this discussion. I also like to give the Coyotes' fans credit that perhaps they do, even though others may give them no credit all all. Of course, I could likely be very wrong and they perhaps could care less; but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Poor attendance and limbo ownership and all, I'm still giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I'll stand by my opinion that shifting around history shouldn't be done lightly, and yes we should acknowledge the Thrashers' history. The one banner, Dan Snyder, and all.

Our balls should be big enough that we should be able to deal with a new name. That is all. :D

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Agree that just because "someone else is doing it" doesn't make it right. But I just wanted to point out that there are other military themed teams out there, and it appears that no one has a problem with it. So, it would appear that you, and your family are in the minority on this one. Because like you said if these names don't appeal to women, and they are offensive to the military (ridiculous) then we should have seen numerous boycotts and protests of the Regina Pats and Brampton Battalion.

Plus, there is a big difference between our military conversation, and teams that are using racist names IMO.

Just to revisit this briefly: Winnipeg's football team is named 'The Blue Bombers' people! Most often just called 'Bombers'.

Charlie Milles*

Actually, I don't like any of those names all that much. I also don't like the "Cleveland Indians" or "Washington Redskins" or ND "Fighting Sioux". Just because other teams have chosen names like these doesn't make something similar an inspired choice, in my view. Toughness or determination doesn't come from the team name, after all.
Does the Notre Dame Fighting Irish bother you at all? It perpetuating a racial stereotype and all? It's amazing that this never comes up when people cry about the Blackhawks or the Braves. The anti-white sentiment in modern society is unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad