Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Jets are very to be similar going into this season as they were last season. The main difference is just on D, where Dillon and Schmidt are out, and likely replaced in their roles by Samberg and Miller, with Heinola likely stepping into the 3rd pair LD role. They might take a bit of a step back on D, but I don't think it will be a big difference in overall quality.

At forward, I think they could have a very similar roster as last season, with the possibility that Lambert makes the jump with Iafallo or Appleton perhaps going down a peg.

Last season the Jets had some significant injuries at F, but their D was remarkably healthy. That might be the biggest variable affecting the quality of the roster this season. Another variable might be whether players like Perfetti and Samberg can take a significant step forward in level of play.

The other major difference is at back-up goalie. Brossoit was very strong, and I doubt that Kahkonen or Comrie match his performance. That might cost the Jets a few wins more directly.

Finally, I think a lot of the Jets' success will depend on effective deployment of the roster, particularly ensuring that the coaches optimize the contributions of Ehlers and Perfetti and limit the usual drag of a Connor-Scheifele top line combination creates defensively.
We also got a unanimous Vezina type season out of Helle. As good as he is, natural to expect some regression there as well.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I was really upset about those trades too. The good news is, “if” the Jets take a step back this season - and its made very clear the Jets aren’t making the playoffs before the trade deadline (because we know how Chipman thinks)… Pionk, Appleton, Ehlers, Iafallo and Namestnikov are all UFA’s after this upcoming season. They could easily return in trades what was lost last season. And 2025 is supposed to be a better draft than 2024.

Apart from Ehlers I don't think there's significant value in those guys at the deadline. 3rds and 4ths.

Reactions: WolfHouse

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
He might also not be overplayed by a Jurassic coaching staff that "doesn't believe in things" like goalies being able to be overplayed.

Attachments

• 1722175881851.png
    1722175881851.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Excerpts from tomorrow's Wpg Free Press article: Strength in Numbers

One of the primary focal points during the (upcoming Jets coaches') summit will be analytics, which Arniel said ... in May will take on a greater role under his watch.

The move is being applauded by external experts in the field, who believe the Jets have been lagging behind some of their competition when it comes to the so-called fancy stats game.

“It would certainly seem like the Jets haven’t used analytics...to their capacity....compared to teams that are all-in on analytics, like Colorado, Florida and Carolina,” said Byron Bader, the Calgary-born creator of Hockey Prospecting, a data-driven player comparison and drafting tool.

The Colorado Avalanche are credited with using analytics to make adjustments on the fly to bury the Jets in the first round of the playoffs. (Fred Greenslade / The Canadian Press files)

For the second consecutive post-season, Rick Bowness was unable to launch his own counter-punch, and his group was quickly ushered into the golf season.

Bader said some of Winnipeg’s brightest offensive stars and biggest minute-munchers — Mark Scheifele and Kyle Connor up front, and Neal Pionk on the blue line — are some of the biggest culprits..... meaning caution is often needed when it comes to their deployment.

“They have an all-world goalie in...Hellebuyck that can cover up a lot of mistakes,” said Bader. “Teams...more engaged on the analytics side may use those types of players more strategically.”

“Analytics and data analysis aren’t going anywhere. It’s becoming more and more prominent,” Bader said. “The motto in nearly any industry right now, not just sports, is, ‘the more data the better.’.. All the best teams that are winning currently are heavily focused on analytics.”

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

One of the primary focal points during the (upcoming Jets coaches') summit will be analytics, which Arniel said ... in May will take on a greater role under his watch.

The move is being applauded by external experts in the field, who believe the Jets have been lagging behind some of their competition when it comes to the so-called fancy stats game.

“It would certainly seem like the Jets haven’t used analytics...to their capacity....compared to teams that are all-in on analytics, like Colorado, Florida and Carolina,” said Byron Bader, the Calgary-born creator of Hockey Prospecting, a data-driven player comparison and drafting tool.

The Colorado Avalanche are credited with using analytics to make adjustments on the fly to bury the Jets in the first round of the playoffs. (Fred Greenslade / The Canadian Press files)

For the second consecutive post-season, Rick Bowness was unable to launch his own counter-punch, and his group was quickly ushered into the golf season.

Bader said some of Winnipeg’s brightest offensive stars and biggest minute-munchers — Mark Scheifele and Kyle Connor up front, and Neal Pionk on the blue line — are some of the biggest culprits..... meaning caution is often needed when it comes to their deployment.

“They have an all-world goalie in...Hellebuyck that can cover up a lot of mistakes,” said Bader. “Teams...more engaged on the analytics side may use those types of players more strategically.”

“Analytics and data analysis aren’t going anywhere. It’s becoming more and more prominent,” Bader said. “The motto in nearly any industry right now, not just sports, is, ‘the more data the better.’.. All the best teams that are winning currently are heavily focused on analytics.”
"Analytics guy hypes analytics"

Gotcha

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
That is one interpretation of the article, but I wouldn't call it particularly....analytical.:sarcasm:

The article is about our new coaching staff embracing analytics, so naturally they interviewed a hockey analytics expert to help explain this emerging trend to their readers.
What I found interesting, and to no one’s surprise, was the mention of the Schiefele/KC combo being poor defensively. I would really like to see Ehlers on that top line, or at least to try it for a while. Our best run last year was when KC was hurt so it would be worth a try, IMO.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I'd just like to know how you can say analytics won Colorado the series without a single shred of evidence to back that up...MacKinnon credited Mittlestadt with dominating Monahan as the series changer. You could say that Colorado's defense applied a lot more pressure as a difference. You could say Colorado's PP won them the crucial game 3 and there were no analytics in De Melo's blown tire or Pionk's own goal, both pivotal plays, to my knowledge...Evidence please.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

This is encouraging.
Sounds like this article echos what many of us have been saying for a long time.

What I found interesting, and to no one’s surprise, was the mention of the Schiefele/KC combo being poor defensively. I would really like to see Ehlers on that top line, or at least to try it for a while. Our best run last year was when KC was hurt so it would be worth a try, IMO.
I would be very supportive of a blockbuster trade featuring Connor as one of the big pieces.
I just don’t think we can go very far with his defensive liabilities/lack of effort.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'd just like to know how you can say analytics won Colorado the series without a single shred of evidence to back that up...MacKinnon credited Mittlestadt with dominating Monahan as the series changer. You could say that Colorado's defense applied a lot more pressure as a difference. You could say Colorado's PP won them the crucial game 3 and there were no analytics in De Melo's blown tire or Pionk's own goal, both pivotal plays, to my knowledge...Evidence please.
Mind offering your source on the MIttlestadt vs Monahan quote

Reactions: hn777

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Post series interview with MacKinnon...he didn't mention Monahan, that's my addition...but seriously where's the evidence...facts in that statement...sounds like a non hockey guy making himself relevant... And I am not against analytics...but xG for sheltered players is a bogus stat..real analytics are stats no fan had access to, we've seen Garret throw out passing efficiency stats. There's possession stats without shots, for sure...I imagine shift lengths are heavily scrutinized in their impact...zone clears...on and on things that are never discussed because they aren't public stats.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Post series interview with MacKinnon...he didn't mention Monahan, that's my addition...but seriously where's the evidence...facts in that statement...sounds like a non hockey guy making himself relevant... And I am not against analytics...but xG for sheltered players is a bogus stat..real analytics are stats no fan had access to, we've seen Garret throw out passing efficiency stats. There's possession stats without shots, for sure...I imagine shift lengths are heavily scrutinized in their impact...zone clears...on and on things that are never discussed because they aren't public stats.
Mittelstadt was matched up with Scheifele far more than Monahan.... Can you post the line matchups?

Reactions: hn777 and voyageur

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I'd just like to know how you can say analytics won Colorado the series without a single shred of evidence to back that up......Evidence please

Post series interview with MacKinnon...he didn't mention Monahan, that's my addition...but seriously where's the evidence...facts in that statement...
I don't know too many people who would say analytics won Colorado the series, but it almost certainly helped them prepare and adjust.

But the more important point is that you keep asking for 'evidence' and 'facts', which is good. That's what everyone wants these days, and is what the article is really saying. In that sense, the data points are just little 'bits' of information, factoids in mathematical form, that teams study to try to extract meaningful evidence. It's just a modern day form of detective work, with lots of noise, but also signals in all the information collected.

If you believe in evidence as an organization, then you need to commit to gathering statistical information, then having experts analyze it, then translating it back simply to the people that need it to make decisions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad