Classic Wrestling Discussion: Part III & Wrestler Poll

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which 5 wrestlers do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Aries popping up immediately and giving people the bird after taking John Morrison’s finisher comes to mind as one of the more unprofessional things I’ve ever seen

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Oh hell yes !!!!!! I'm definitely going to watch this show. :thumbu:

from cagesideseats.com:

Old-school wrestling fans and those interested in the genre’s history will want to mark their calendars and set their DVRs for August 8, as PBS is set to premier an exciting new wrestling documentary.

Mid-Atlantic Gateway, a website dedicated to the history of Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling, shared the news on social media:

PBS finally made the show available on-line. :thumbu:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Watching the Takeovers and that 6 man ladder match for the North American belt in 2018 was something else

Adam Cole vs Killian Dain vs Lars Sullivan vs Velveteen Dream vs Ricochet vs EC3

Kinda sucks Lars and Velveteen are bad ppl, they both had oodles of potential and had great performances

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
Watching the Takeovers and that 6 man ladder match for the North American belt in 2018 was something else

Adam Cole vs Killian Dain vs Lars Sullivan vs Velveteen Dream vs Ricochet vs EC3

Kinda sucks Lars and Velveteen are bad ppl, they both had oodles of potential and had great performances
To me that was the peak of talent in NXT. I was at a bachelor party trip in Austin with that match going on my laptop, and 3 non-wrestling fan friends couldn't pull themselves away from watching.

IMO Dream would have been a WWE World champion by now if not for his, ahem, life transgressions.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
To me that was the peak of talent in NXT. I was at a bachelor party trip in Austin with that match going on my laptop, and 3 non-wrestling fan friends couldn't pull themselves away from watching.

IMO Dream would have been a WWE World champion by now if not for his, ahem, life transgressions.
It’s funny you say that- my exact thought watching that was “wow this is a match I’d show non-fans to get them into it”

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I didn't see it live, but Antonio Inoki vs the Great Antonio would make the list for me
Earthquake vs Koji Kitao from SWS. After the match fell apart after he stopped cooperating Kitao topped everything off by grabbing a mic and saying that wrestling was fake. It should come as no surprise that he was instantly fired.

Akira Maeda breaking a defenseless Riki Choshu's orbital bone with a shootkick.

Rikidozan double-crossing Kimura.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I was going to start a new thread but maybe I will just post it here.

Why in the past 20+ years have they got rid of the simple 2 minute promo. When I was young my favorite part of wrestling was watching the wrestlers give there 1-2 minute spiel leaving me want to hear more, but as the new century was coming around they started to become longer and longer, many times making me hope that it would end soon. As the years went on they became even worse and more scripted. I get it that the WWe felt like scripted long promos was the way to go but why does it seem like every other wrestling organization feels the need to copy them. I do think there is a market out there for a wrestling company that goes back to unscripted 2 minute promos after a match of somebody telling us how they want to win the championship because it means they will have sex with hotter chicks and eat better quality steaks.

Reactions: sabremike

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sucks Lars Sullivan is a shitty person, he really has been a huge standout in these NXT shows im rewatching. It’s like Snitsky and Lesnar had a baby

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Why in the past 20+ years have they got rid of the simple 2 minute promo. When I was young my favorite part of wrestling was watching the wrestlers give there 1-2 minute spiel leaving me want to hear more, but as the new century was coming around they started to become longer and longer, many times making me hope that it would end soon. As the years went on they became even worse and more scripted. I get it that the WWe felt like scripted long promos was the way to go but why does it seem like every other wrestling organization feels the need to copy them. I do think there is a market out there for a wrestling company that goes back to unscripted 2 minute promos after a match of somebody telling us how they want to win the championship because it means they will have sex with hotter chicks and eat better quality steaks.
I think a lot of it has to do with the changing nature of the business where those were used to sell tickets in specific markets and as that was surpassed by PPV and TV as revenue drives it faded away. I 100% agree bringing them back would be a good idea.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think a lot of it has to do with the changing nature of the business where those were used to sell tickets in specific markets and as that was surpassed by PPV and TV as revenue drives it faded away. I 100% agree bringing them back would be a good idea.

Simple fact is you won't out WWe the WWe so best to find stuff that other fans want. While I do think there is a market for some of the stuff AEW is pushing that looks to be like 700k, they have to find other things the WWe might not be doing and add that as well. I think a huge portion of the former audience is sick of the 15+ minute soap opera'ish in ring bits and might prefer a more short and sweet simple approach to promos.

Beyond that most of the greatest moments in promo history were not written in the backroom by a bunch of writers it was just some creative person coming up with something on the spur of the moment. Would Writers today for instance come up with Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
so i'm watching this Japanese movie and
Screenshot 2024-09-07 131035.jpg

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

Those still happen in Japan.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A lot of it is just how the presentation has changed. Way back in the day wrestling was largely house shows, occasional TV stuff, and then the big PPVs.

The advent of live weekly TV changed how you present your product. You can't just progress a year long story over life 6 segments and some short after match promos.

You need weekly content to make someone watch every week so you get your stars on way more often, longer promos, more involved storylines.

I question if a pure old school style weekly show which is 90% wrestling and just short promos would be able to carry an audience to stay on TV.

Personally I have always been surprised no one has decided to do more Lucha Underground type stuff where things are even more cinematic.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You need weekly content to make someone watch every week so you get your stars on way more often, longer promos, more involved storylines.

I would argue how many wrestlers today would you consider to be stars? When you see guys on TV wining 50% or even say less then 75% of the time every other week it sort of devalues them when they lose 25-50% of the time. Beyond that you need a reason to care about them which even a 2 minute promo could do

Maybe I have an antiquated idea of what, who or how to make a star but the best way is to have a person constantly win for like 6+ months on TV while giving a little time to talk to get himself over.

And I do agree the way wrestling works today their is more emphasis on the tv shows being the prime source of generating revenue so it does change the way you have to do things, but surely there can be alternative ways to get people over in the 5+ hours a week of content ERA of wrestling.

At the end of the day I do think some wrestler the general audience(not hardcore one) views as a star wrestling some jabronee in a 3-5 minute squash match then giving a 2 minute post match interview saying how he is the best will attract more casual viewers then a 15 minute 4 star match by 2 great wrestlers who nobody beside the hardcore fans care about because both guys lose to often.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would argue how many wrestlers today would you consider to be stars? When you see guys on TV wining 50% or even say less then 75% of the time every other week it sort of devalues them when they lose 25-50% of the time. Beyond that you need a reason to care about them which even a 2 minute promo could do

Maybe I have an antiquated idea of what, who or how to make a star but the best way is to have a person constantly win for like 6+ months on TV while giving a little time to talk to get himself over.

And I do agree the way wrestling works today their is more emphasis on the tv shows being the prime source of generating revenue so it does change the way you have to do things, but surely there can be alternative ways to get people over in the 5+ hours a week of content ERA of wrestling.

At the end of the day I do think some wrestler the general audience(not hardcore one) views as a star wrestling some jabronee in a 3-5 minute squash match then giving a 2 minute post match interview saying how he is the best will attract more casual viewers then a 15 minute 4 star match by 2 great wrestlers who nobody beside the hardcore fans care about because both guys lose to often.

I do agree that if you want someone to stand out and really get over with crowds and attract more eyeballs, that there needs to be some character work to get people invested in you beyond being a good worker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad