Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
453648879_1022983983166615_6462486840075942899_n.jpg

Getting ready for next season.
He's telling the Norm McDonald moth joke.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
On the road. Can't match.
I don't think the Avs were targeting Pionk.

MacK was dominant in the series no matter who was out there on D for the Jets, so they didn't have to.

Also, I don't think Johnson's comments about using analytics were about targeting individuals. It seemed like he was talking about exploiting the Jets' tendencies. Hard forecheck to fluster the breakouts, screen Hellebuyck, shoot from the point for tips. Once a team gets flustered and frustrated the wheels can fall right off...

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I don't know too many people who would say analytics won Colorado the series, but it almost certainly helped them prepare and adjust.

But the more important point is that you keep asking for 'evidence' and 'facts', which is good. That's what everyone wants these days, and is what the article is really saying. In that sense, the data points are just little 'bits' of information, factoids in mathematical form, that teams study to try to extract meaningful evidence. It's just a modern day form of detective work, with lots of noise, but also signals in all the information collected.

If you believe in evidence as an organization, then you need to commit to gathering statistical information, then having experts analyze it, then translating it back simply to the people that need it to make decisions.

With all apologies for beating my favourite drum, at the end of the day, one only needs to look at who wins and who loses on draft fantasy sports websites to see whether or not analytics has value, and whether or not systems based on analytics outperform systems that aren't.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I have a Chevy hockey card from back in the day somewhere, I'll have to check the PIMs. Got a Glen Sather one too. :laugh:
He had 250 PIMs plus in junior two yeqrs inna row. I didn't realize he was drafted 16th overall

Tough motherf***er

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Scholastic player of the year as well.

Odd how that was kind of common there for a few years with the tough guys. Baumgartner in 83-84 then Mark Janssens (hell of a fighter) for two seasons in a row until Chevy was scholastic player of the year in the Dub.

Jets have a smart squad,

previous Dub winners:

Chevy, Lowry, Morrissey

CHL overall winners:

Morrissey, Perfetti, Barlow.

Team Mensa :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Things have gone pretty dead here. Bombers thread has more activity than all the Jets threads combined. :laugh:

There were a few things that were expected to have happened by now, that should have happened by now, that have not.

McGroarty (and/or his camp) seem to have poisoned the well, preventing a trade from happening. The only things Chevy could do about that are to sell for pennies on the dollar or to wait. No surprise, he is waiting. It could be a long wait. Really nothing left for us to discuss there until something happens.

No such thing affecting Ehlers. Is he still quietly being shopped? Is he going to be extended? Is he going to be used as an own rental? Good questions but, again, not much more to be discussed there until something happens, or a good new rumour pops up.

There have been a few roster moves. What has gone is better than what has been added, IMO. The Jets were overachievers last regular season, again IMO. The rest of the Central has gotten better, at least on paper. Add up those factors and Jets could fall a long way next season. A single key injury could have them out of the PO. With just avg luck all around, I see them 4th in the Div next year.

Jets still have holes at RD, top 6C and possibly 3rd pair D. They lack really high end players. They have some good prospects that could come in and be effective filling those holes, either this season or next. Maybe. But they will still lack really high end or elite players.

I think Jets need a trade or two to address some of their issues. Not likely to get any elite level players in trade unless they get a near ready prospect who eventually develops to that level. Even prospects with that potential are hard to acquire by trade but just maybe possible.

McGroarty and Ehlers are presumably still available but haven't produced a move yet. I'm wondering if we could add trade chips and make something happen? I don't mean lesser pieces like Stanley or Iafallo or Pionk who have been mentioned. They would already be available as adds for the right return. Lets say we add Perfetti and Connor as possible trade chips. Would that give us enough to spring something loose?

Obviously any trade scenario would need to consider replacing whoever we part with. But we have some near ready replacements in the system. Integrating more than 1 or 2 of them would equal a youth movement and maybe a step back for a year. But what is the problem with that if the alternative, running it back, also means a step back? And then there would be the return package.

I'm not proposing anything specific here. I'm looking at the subject of this thread and not being thrilled by the prospect of subtracting a couple of key players and otherwise going into the season with the same group that was so clearly not good enough in the PO. I'm soliciting ideas.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Things have gone pretty dead here. Bombers thread has more activity than all the Jets threads combined. :laugh:

There were a few things that were expected to have happened by now, that should have happened by now, that have not.

McGroarty (and/or his camp) seem to have poisoned the well, preventing a trade from happening. The only things Chevy could do about that are to sell for pennies on the dollar or to wait. No surprise, he is waiting. It could be a long wait. Really nothing left for us to discuss there until something happens.

No such thing affecting Ehlers. Is he still quietly being shopped? Is he going to be extended? Is he going to be used as an own rental? Good questions but, again, not much more to be discussed there until something happens, or a good new rumour pops up.

There have been a few roster moves. What has gone is better than what has been added, IMO. The Jets were overachievers last regular season, again IMO. The rest of the Central has gotten better, at least on paper. Add up those factors and Jets could fall a long way next season. A single key injury could have them out of the PO. With just avg luck all around, I see them 4th in the Div next year.

Jets still have holes at RD, top 6C and possibly 3rd pair D. They lack really high end players. They have some good prospects that could come in and be effective filling those holes, either this season or next. Maybe. But they will still lack really high end or elite players.

I think Jets need a trade or two to address some of their issues. Not likely to get any elite level players in trade unless they get a near ready prospect who eventually develops to that level. Even prospects with that potential are hard to acquire by trade but just maybe possible.

McGroarty and Ehlers are presumably still available but haven't produced a move yet. I'm wondering if we could add trade chips and make something happen? I don't mean lesser pieces like Stanley or Iafallo or Pionk who have been mentioned. They would already be available as adds for the right return. Lets say we add Perfetti and Connor as possible trade chips. Would that give us enough to spring something loose?

Obviously any trade scenario would need to consider replacing whoever we part with. But we have some near ready replacements in the system. Integrating more than 1 or 2 of them would equal a youth movement and maybe a step back for a year. But what is the problem with that if the alternative, running it back, also means a step back? And then there would be the return package.

I'm not proposing anything specific here. I'm looking at the subject of this thread and not being thrilled by the prospect of subtracting a couple of key players and otherwise going into the season with the same group that was so clearly not good enough in the PO. I'm soliciting ideas.
Nothing to discuss that has not been discussed 10X over.
Take a holiday for the month of August ... Chevy does his major signings in September anyways.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A quick and limited summary of the roster strength going into the upcoming season, based on xGAR/60 for players expected to make up season roster.

The roster looks stronger than going into 2022/23, but doesn't have as much strength at the top as the 2023/24 roster (with much of that driven by Nino and Vilardi, who are still on the roster but had lesser seasons last year).

Overall, the median is higher than going into last season, with the average being a bit lower. A lot will be determined by how well Perfetti, Vilardi and the 3rd D pair perform. Also, Pionk needs to be a lot better next season.

1722626563988.png

• Haha
Reactions: hockeyarena

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
A quick and limited summary of the roster strength going into the upcoming season, based on xGAR/60 for players expected to make up season roster.

The roster looks stronger than going into 2022/23, but doesn't have as much strength at the top as the 2023/24 roster (with much of that driven by Nino and Vilardi, who are still on the roster but had lesser seasons last year).

Overall, the median is higher than going into last season, with the average being a bit lower. A lot will be determined by how well Perfetti, Vilardi and the 3rd D pair perform. Also, Pionk needs to be a lot better next season.

View attachment 898815
1722629367400.png
1722629394764.png

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Now that we are in August we will be in a dead zone for awhile. Action will pick up as camps get close to opening in September. I guess we can restart the Ehlers Vs Connor debate for shits and giggles.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Now that we are in August we will be in a dead zone for awhile. Action will pick up as camps get close to opening in September. I guess we can restart the Ehlers Vs Connor debate for shits and giggles.
I didn't realize there was a debate

Connor is a soft, one dimensional scorer who doesn't play defense

Ehlers is the best player ever

I thought we had come to a consensus on that by now

:sarcasm:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Connor Scheifele Vilardi
Ehlers Lambert Laine
Nino Lowry Perfetti
Barron Namestnikov Appleton

Chibrikov, Kupari, Gus
Iafallo moved in Laine deal.

Morrissey Demelo
Samberg Pionk
Heinola Miller

Salomonsson/Stanley

Helle
Kahkonen
It really seems like the Jets aren't going to make any more moves...Signing Perfetti is the last piece of the puzzle...

If you go by one way contracts the Jets are likely not giving a spot to Lambert out of camp. Namestnikov would be the likely 2C to start, though it is possible that Perfetti gets that gig. With a new coach, who seems to have more confidence in him. That could alter lines a little. Gus and Kupari seem to be the guys battling for 4th line vs. PB.

8 defensemen seems probable, with one of Fleury or Coughlan winning the final spot...Maybe both get send down if a forward wins a spot in TC.

I'm going to say that Perfetti bridges at about $3.25 million AAV, and if my math is any good you subtract Comrie, AJF, JAD off the Puck Pedia roster, add Heinola, Fleury/Coughlan, Perfetti, and the remaining cap space is about $3.25 million...that seems to be the comfort zone Chevy likes to operate in other than the one year the Jets spent to the Cap, had to waive Nash since they wouldn't waive Beaulieu, to call up Berdin with Hellebuyck out short term, and missed the playoffs with little room to manoeuver..last couple of years Jets haven't LTIR'd anyone when injured, just used the extra Cap space to bring up multiple players, and still have Cap space for deadline deals.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It really seems like the Jets aren't going to make any more moves...Signing Perfetti is the last piece of the puzzle...

If you go by one way contracts the Jets are likely not giving a spot to Lambert out of camp. Namestnikov would be the likely 2C to start, though it is possible that Perfetti gets that gig. With a new coach, who seems to have more confidence in him. That could alter lines a little. Gus and Kupari seem to be the guys battling for 4th line vs. PB.

8 defensemen seems probable, with one of Fleury or Coughlan winning the final spot...Maybe both get send down if a forward wins a spot in TC.

I'm going to say that Perfetti bridges at about $3.25 million AAV, and if my math is any good you subtract Comrie, AJF, JAD off the Puck Pedia roster, add Heinola, Fleury/Coughlan, Perfetti, and the remaining cap space is about $3.25 million...that seems to be the comfort zone Chevy likes to operate in other than the one year the Jets spent to the Cap, had to waive Nash since they wouldn't waive Beaulieu, to call up Berdin with Hellebuyck out short term, and missed the playoffs with little room to manoeuver..last couple of years Jets haven't LTIR'd anyone when injured, just used the extra Cap space to bring up multiple players, and still have Cap space for deadline deals.
If the Jets pay Perfetti about 3.3M on a bridge and run a 22 player roster (13F 7D 2G) they will have about 4M in cap space to begin the season.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If the Jets pay Perfetti about 3.3M on a bridge and run a 22 player roster (13F 7D 2G) they will have about 4M in cap space to begin the season.
Ok my math is ballpark then, because I just added $25 000 swapping Heinola and Fleury for AJF and JAD and subtracted Comrie ($825 000), which would give Chevy $6,601,309 to work with, and Perfetti as the only signing to come.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

WARNING: TLDR Thunder storm at the lake this morning post.

New seasons are a bit of a crap shoot.

I was listening to NHL network on XM season ending GM report Cards yesterday and Boomer Gordon gave Chevy and A grade. It was nice to hear an outsiders perspective. He recapped pretty well that after the Vegas loss, Bones melt down, PLD wanting out, Wheeler needing to be bought out, and the rumors of Scheifele and Helly wanting out he thought the Jets were going to have to tear it down.

He felt getting Helle and Schief done, PLD moved for a good package, then the type of season the team had where they gave up the fewest goals in the NHL while having no trouble scoring was pretty much as good as it gets for a GM’s effort given how dire things had looked.

Honestly before that report I had been reflecting a bit more on how good last season was and how much fun it was to watch our team most nights. Of course there were ups and downs but 52-24-6 for 110 points was outstanding.

The playoffs really REALLY soured me but I am starting to at least be able to appreciate what that team got done in the regular season.

It leads me to believe that Mark and TNSE will head into this season with some confidence that they have a good hockey team. I don’t expect any panic.

Now to 2024-2025 projections that is interesting. I will wait to see what our final roster looks like. August is always quite.

Things I am currently pondering (I will probably make full predictions before the season):

Can Arniel keep the team playing that (“Jets hockey”) defensive, pressure, system the Jets played last season?

How will the goaltending do this season?

What is the over under for Gabe on games played? I am expecting 50ish.

Will any prospect emerge (Ville or Lambert)

How will Hail Mary Alphie do on the Moose/Jets.

How will Cole’s season go under a new coach.

How will the new coaching staff perform.

Obviously it will be interesting to follow the loose ends (Ehlers status, Mr Magoo)

I think this is still a good hockey team but we captured lightning in a bottle last season and that team overachieved in the regular season IMO.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

What action will pick up as we get close to camps opening? Action here? Sure, we will have things to talk about, starting with the Young Stars Tournament. But training camp is not a time when trades happen. Early season? Nope, not often.

I think Jets need change. As time passes it becomes less and less likely until the TD gets close. McGroarty for another 2C rental? Ehlers as an own rental and then walks? Is that what we should expect?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
WARNING: TLDR Thunder storm at the lake this morning post.

New seasons are a bit of a crap shoot.

I was listening to NHL network on XM season ending GM report Cards yesterday and Boomer Gordon gave Chevy and A grade. It was nice to hear an outsiders perspective. He recapped pretty well that after the Vegas loss, Bones melt down, PLD wanting out, Wheeler needing to be bought out, and the rumors of Scheifele and Helly wanting out he thought the Jets were going to have to tear it down.

He felt getting Helle and Schief done, PLD moved for a good package, then the type of season the team had where they gave up the fewest goals in the NHL while having no trouble scoring was pretty much as good as it gets for a GM’s effort given how dire things had looked.

Honestly before that report I had been reflecting a bit more on how good last season was and how much fun it was to watch our team most nights. Of course there were ups and downs but 52-24-6 for 110 points was outstanding.

The playoffs really REALLY soured me but I am starting to at least be able to appreciate what that team got done in the regular season.

It leads me to believe that Mark and TNSE will head into this season with some confidence that they have a good hockey team. I don’t expect any panic.

Now to 2024-2025 projections that is interesting. I will wait to see what our final roster looks like. August is always quite.

Things I am currently pondering (I will probably make full predictions before the season):

Can Arniel keep the team playing that (“Jets hockey”) defensive, pressure, system the Jets played last season?

How will the goaltending do this season?

What is the over under for Gabe on games played? I am expecting 50ish.

Will any prospect emerge (Ville or Lambert)

How will Hail Mary Alphy do on the Moose/Jets.

How will Cole’s season go under a new coach.

How will the new coaching staff perform.

Obviously it will be interesting to follow the loose ends (Ehlers status, Mr Magoo)

I think this is still a good hockey team but we captured lightning in a bottle last season and that team overachieved in the regular season IMO.
All are good questions

For me, the big one will be whether Arniel keeps the same style of play that Bones had, or will he tweak it?

It's my personal belief that the effort/exertion need to be successful in that system leads to players fatiguing as the season rolls on. I think that was one reason for our collapse two seasons ago, and contributed to our bad streak last season (that was righted towards the end) and ultimately the playoff shitshow

It's a lot easier to play that way early on in the season before nagging injuries creep in and everyone gets ground down

I seem to recall a Dallas player last year commenting that playing "Bones hockey" wins games but isn't "fun" to do

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What action will pick up as we get close to camps opening? Action here? Sure, we will have things to talk about, starting with the Young Stars Tournament. But training camp is not a time when trades happen. Early season? Nope, not often.

I think Jets need change. As time passes it becomes less and less likely until the TD gets close. McGroarty for another 2C rental? Ehlers as an own rental and then walks? Is that what we should expect?
In what ways do you think the Jets' current roster is inferior to the beginning of last season?

I'd say that back-up goaltending is weaker. The 3rd D pair might be weaker, depending on how Miller and Heinola/Stanley etc. pan out. 2nd D pair might actually be better with Samberg-Pionk, based on past pair performance.

I think the forwards are as good or better (based on development of Perfetti and Barron).

I think it's up to the coaches to ensure that Scheifele's line doesn't get buried 5v5 and the special teams improve (especially the PK).

110 points is a very high bar, but the overall roster hasn't really diminished and improvements in the special teams might offset some of the deficits.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00