OT: Winnipeg ICE sold - Moving to Wenatchee, Washington renamed Wenatchee Wild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Big trade for the ICE announced right before last night's game... they picked up veteran defenceman Graham Sward from Spokane in exchange for D Jaren Brinson and several draft picks, including a 2023 first rounder. I'm not familiar with the Chiefs but according to Mike Sawatzky he's a big, physical d-man who bumps up the average on the ICE's somewhat undersized blue line.

Interestingly, last season's big trade was also with the Chiefs for big forward Jack Finley who is now in the TBL system.

According to Sawatzky's Free Press article, Sward is expected to be in the lineup soon, and possibly as early as Tuesday night for the ICE's home game vs. the Everett Silvertips.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Tough battle last for the ICE but they prevailed. Everett is a really good team, nice to see some local boys doing well there with Zaplitny (who I remember last season from the Winnipeg Blues) and Hofer both scoring.

Olen Zellweger is unreal, the guy plays huge minutes and makes massive contributions at both ends of the ice. Very effective at defusing threats in his own end but has offensive skill too, he got a goal for Everett and is one of his team's top scorers. It's the first time I've seen him play in the WHL and I was very impressed.

ICE were OK but they looked like they had their hands full at times, there were stretches where the box collapsed in front of their net with startling regularity leaving it to Hauser to bail them out. No question they were missing Conor Geekie who had a one-game slewfooting suspension. Graham Sward was also in the building but not dressed, he will be a big add heading into next week's doubleheader against the undefeated Red Deer Rebels.

Good, lively crowd on hand for an early season Tuesday nighter. That's something you wouldn't have really seen in the past couple years.

Reactions: Guardian17

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
An update to a story from earlier this year, it appears Winnipeg is getting a Canadian Elite Basketball League franchise for the 2023 season.

It had been rumored that 50 Below was an interested party to own the team, but apparently due to issues on getting that new arena built, the team will be operated by an ownership group helmed by David Asper. The short-term solution for now is for the team to play out of an upgraded Investors Group Athletic Centre, located right down the hallway from Wayne Fleming Arena.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I've said a few times in these threads that building or expanding at the UofM would be the best plan. Lots of parking, rapid transit, surrounded by young adults looking for cheap entertainment. Could be shared with the Men's and Women's Bison and now it can be shared with Asper's basketball team too.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I'm looking forward to this week's big showdown between the ICE and the undefeated Red Deer Rebels. WHL bragging rights are on the line!

I had to reluctantly miss Saturday's game so I didn't get a chance to have a look at Graham Sward. I'm hoping that having him in the lineup will bolster the ICE's defensive corps. Also nice to see Connor Dale getting his first two goals vs. Tri-Cities.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Well, after two impressive wins against the league's only remaining undefeated team, there's no doubt who the WHL's big dog is now. Nice to see that the ICE could turn it up and play a physical game against a heavy team like Red Deer. Honestly, these games may have been the high point of Owen Pederson's junior career... he was doing everything, laying down hits, grinding in the corners, making plays and he capped it all off with a 5 pt (2 G, 3 A) performance last night. Amazing.

Ben Zloty was a defensive hero doing some excellent two way work. Lambos looked like he had his hands full at times but in fairness Red Deer is a tough team and he had some tough assignments to go with loads of ice time.

Powerplay was on fire last night, they went 4 for 5 which is awesome considering it has been struggling a bit at least as compared to last year. Good job on the PK too, especially Tuesday night when they drew penalties a few but it wasn't an issue last night as the ICE played a much more disciplined game.

And not that anybody asked, but my favourite ICE player now is Zach Benson. This kid is absolutely magic to watch, unreal skating, excellent hands, great playmaking ability but can shoot too. He is the most underhyped player relative to ability, in my view he is worth the price of admission. He was excellent before but he has taken it to the next level this season.

Hats off to Connor McClennon and Skyler Bruce on their 2G performances last night, as well as to Daniel Hauser who logged 2 wins in 2 nights against a very tough opponent. Hauser is still undefeated on the season!

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
The ICE get a goaltending upgrade through a trade with the Spokane Chiefs:

The Winnipeg ICE have acquired goaltender Mason Beaupit and an eighth round pick in the 2023 WHL Prospects Draft from the Spokane Chiefs in exchange for goaltender Dawson Cowan, a fourth round pick in the 2025 WHL Prospects Draft as well as a third round pick and sixth round pick both in the 2026 WHL Prospects Draft.

Beaupit, 19, from Surrey, British Columbia, was Spokane’s Most Valuable Player last season. The 6’5”, 190 pound netminder has played 71 games with the Chiefs over the past four WHL regular seasons.

A fourth round pick, 108th overall by the San Jose Sharks in the 2022 NHL Draft, Beaupit attended Canada’s World Junior Summer Camp and played in the 2022 Kubota CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game.

Beaupit was selected by Spokane in the fourth round, 82nd overall in the 2018 WHL Prospects Draft.

I know that Cowan was maybe not the greatest backup ever but I thought he was serviceable, his numbers were 2.52 and 0.901 for a 3-1 record so far this season. The ICE will have a top notch duo between the pipes now.

It's fun to watch the ICE loading up for a serious playoff run... who will they set their sights on next?

Reactions: Guardian17

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com

I know that Cowan was maybe not the greatest backup ever but I thought he was serviceable, his numbers were 2.52 and 0.901 for a 3-1 record so far this season. The ICE will have a top notch duo between the pipes now.

It's fun to watch the ICE loading up for a serious playoff run... who will they set their sights on next?

I just got his autograph in the mail yesterday, maybe he knew something was up...:dunno:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

They sure like to trade with Spokane :laugh:

Hopefully Beaupit turns it around, because his numbers this year suggest he’s actually a downgrade on Cowan.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
They sure like to trade with Spokane :laugh:

Hopefully Beaupit turns it around, because his numbers this year suggest he’s actually a downgrade on Cowan.

Yeah, I've also noticed a propensity for trading with Spokane! Bertholet and Form for Finley (with draft picks mixed in), Brinson for Sward (with draft picks mixed in), before that there was Ginnell to Spokane for picks, now Cowan for Beaupit with picks.

I'd be curious to know the rationale for this trade... I didn't think Cowan was bad from what I've seen of him. Certainly good enough to play a sound backup role. Beaupit's numbers have taken a dive this season but they were better before. I guess you have to account for the fact that Spokane is a weaker team overall.

Reactions: snowkiddin

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Anyone else starting to wonder what this team's long-term prospects in Winnipeg are looking like? On the ice, the team is 100% firing on all cylinders, they've won 13 in a row, they are basically as close as you get to perfect.

But off the ice, it seems pretty dire. There is still no prospect of an arena deal, and the team owner has lost out on a bid for a CEBL basketball team that might have strengthened the business case for a new building.

Attendance is still pitiful for the most part. It was announced on Saturday as 1,526, but I'm not sure there were even half that many people actually in the seats. And every game there is some kind of half price or BOGO ticket offer to juice the numbers. Even for the marquee matchup involving the Pats this Thursday and Saturday there was a BOGO offer for both games. The attendance numbers would be awful even if this was a last place team, but they're the exact opposite of that... they are pretty well the most exciting team in North America that isn't in the NHL.

I get that 50 Below's timing wasn't perfect when they moved the team from Cranbrook to Winnipeg. It coincided with the Jets doing well, and now of course the Bombers use a lot of the oxygen in the room. Throw the pandemic in the mix which killed two years of playoffs, and that didn't help. But I'm sure they were expecting things to start taking off this year on the business side, and by all appearances they really aren't. I have no idea about the finances of the WHL, but even if the owners aren't losing money, you would have to think they are leaving money on the table, because there are other places where a team like this would be packing them in.

I'm starting to wonder what the owners have planned... I would assume the team will be here for at least one more season beyond this one (simply because we haven't heard any rumours coming from prospective new locations), but after that?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Anyone else starting to wonder what this team's long-term prospects in Winnipeg are looking like? On the ice, the team is 100% firing on all cylinders, they've won 13 in a row, they are basically as close as you get to perfect.

But off the ice, it seems pretty dire. There is still no prospect of an arena deal, and the team owner has lost out on a bid for a CEBL basketball team that might have strengthened the business case for a new building.

Attendance is still pitiful for the most part. It was announced on Saturday as 1,526, but I'm not sure there were even half that many people actually in the seats. And every game there is some kind of half price or BOGO ticket offer to juice the numbers. Even for the marquee matchup involving the Pats this Thursday and Saturday there was a BOGO offer for both games. The attendance numbers would be awful even if this was a last place team, but they're the exact opposite of that... they are pretty well the most exciting team in North America that isn't in the NHL.

I get that 50 Below's timing wasn't perfect when they moved the team from Cranbrook to Winnipeg. It coincided with the Jets doing well, and now of course the Bombers use a lot of the oxygen in the room. Throw the pandemic in the mix which killed two years of playoffs, and that didn't help. But I'm sure they were expecting things to start taking off this year on the business side, and by all appearances they really aren't. I have no idea about the finances of the WHL, but even if the owners aren't losing money, you would have to think they are leaving money on the table, because there are other places where a team like this would be packing them in.

I'm starting to wonder what the owners have planned... I would assume the team will be here for at least one more season beyond this one (simply because we haven't heard any rumours coming from prospective new locations), but after that?

I wondered that as well.

The ICE are really hampered by their venue.

It's disheartening watching the highlights of home games and seeing the seats half empty.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Pats had a strong start last night, highlighted by the Bedard goal 10 seconds in. 98 fully exploited Prosofsky's turnover in his direction and then proceeded to absolutely undress him. I like Prosofsky but putting him up against Bedard was a tall order for someone of his skill set, not really sure what the logic was there. He settled down after that rough start, but it looked like 55 was running around all night trying to keep up. At least the packed house of fans there to see Bedard got their highlight reel goal right off the top :laugh:

The Pats looked way better than the last time I saw them play the ICE in Regina last month, they managed to make a game of it but the ICE just unloaded in the 3rd. Matt Savoie 6 point night (3G, 3A), what more needs to be said. Kind of a Kyle Connor-like explosion that we were all waiting for, ha.

Bottom line, Bedard is awesome but the rest of the Pats are mediocre at best. I don't think Saturday night is going to look much different.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

I never understood why an ownership group would bring a WHL team here, when the NHL Jets and AHL Moose are already here. The market is over-saturated. Winnipeg only has 750,000 people. Even Toronto and Montreal have had problems keeping three teams profitable, and are often forced to put one of the clubs in the suburbs.

It's a shame, but if the Jets or Moose left town, I can see a well managed WHL team succeeding, but I never thought having three teams in Winnipeg would work. The entertainment dollar is already stretched thin with the Jets, Moose, Bombers, and Goldeyes here.

Last edited:

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
I never understood why an ownership group would bring a WHL team here, when the NHL Jets and AHL Moose are already here. The market is over-saturated. Winnipeg only has 750,000 people. Even Toronto and Montreal have had problems keeping three teams profitable, and are often forced to put one of the clubs in the suburbs.

It's a shame, but if the Jets or Moose left town, I can see a well managed WHL team succeeding, but I never thought having three teams in Winnipeg would work. The entertainment dollar is already stretched thin with the Jets, Moose, Bombers, and Goldeyes here.
Ask that to Calgary, adding the Wranglers to their Saddledome schedule.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Ask that to Calgary, adding the Wranglers to their Saddledome schedule.

That is true, but metro Calgary has nearly double the population of metro Winnipeg.

I always kind of thought the timing of bringing the ICE to Winnipeg was a bit weird, virtually any time from 1996-2015 would have been better except for the year that the NHL returned to Winnipeg. I'm sure a WHL team in Winnipeg in, let's say, 1999 would have been a huge deal in comparison. But that said, the ICE are doing a decent job carving out a niche for themselves. They are developing a solid little fanbase. I guess the question is whether it will be enough to sustain them.

Anyway, big rematch against Regina tonight, let's see if the ICE can make it 15 in a row!!! 😲

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad