OT: Winnipeg ICE sold - Moving to Wenatchee, Washington renamed Wenatchee Wild

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
The Pats were ripe for the picking, playing their third game in three nights (they had a game in Regina on Saturday and then bussed it to Winnipeg for a game on Sunday...seriously, what is with that schedule) and without some key players including a certain #98. On top of all that, their goalie was starting his first WHL game.

The ICE scored early and often in the first two periods. This game was all about the depth players with the bottom 6 scoring most of the goals. The Shilo/Friesen/Bruce line especially had a solid night, with each member getting a goal.

The frustrated Pats started getting pretty physical in the second half of the game, but it didn't matter because the ICE had it locked down by then. It was another great night at the ICE Cave...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Just scrolling through hockeyDB and Mason Beaupit’s stats are horrible.

Not sure I’m a fan of that trade. Hopefully he can turn it around.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Just scrolling through hockeyDB and Mason Beaupit’s stats are horrible.

Not sure I’m a fan of that trade. Hopefully he can turn it around.

I wish we got a little more insight on trades from the local media. Obviously the team won't say much. Mike Sawatzky of the Free Press is the only local media source who truly "reports" on the team, so if he doesn't dig into it then we have no idea.

I will say, Beaupit's stats are coloured by the fact that Spokane sucks. They're a last place team. Cowan's stats have plunged since getting traded there. By contrast, Beaupit's numbers have improved since coming to Winnipeg. And Beaupit has looked decent between the pipes, not really any worse than Cowan. I still wonder what motivated it, though.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I wish we got a little more insight on trades from the local media. Obviously the team won't say much. Mike Sawatzky of the Free Press is the only local media source who truly "reports" on the team, so if he doesn't dig into it then we have no idea.

I will say, Beaupit's stats are coloured by the fact that Spokane sucks. They're a last place team. Cowan's stats have plunged since getting traded there. By contrast, Beaupit's numbers have improved since coming to Winnipeg. And Beaupit has looked decent between the pipes, not really any worse than Cowan. I still wonder what motivated it, though.
Still, he’s rocking a cool .873 since he’s come to Winnipeg. I haven’t had a chance to watch much this year, but those stats aren’t very good.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Canada's World Juniors roster has been named. No Savoie, Geekie, Lambos or Benson. Disappointing. Lambos was on the team last year. Hockey Canada has never been free of politics, is this another case?

No Lambos?! That's crazy.

I don't get how you can have three first rounders and one future first rounder on an utterly dominant team and not have room for any of them on a WJHC roster. It doesn't make sense.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada's World Juniors roster has been named. No Savoie, Geekie, Lambos or Benson. Disappointing. Lambos was on the team last year. Hockey Canada has never been free of politics, is this another case?

Take a look at the lineup... forwards are humungous except two....

Brennan OthmannForwardL6'018001-05-2003Pickering, Ont.Peterborough (OHL)
9nophotoJoshua RoyForwardL6'019308-06-2003Lévis, Que.Sherbrooke (LHJMQ)
1013952Logan StankovenForwardR5'817002-26-2003Kamloops, B.C.Kamloops (WHL)DAL '21 (2, 47)
1113929Dylan GuentherForwardR6'217504-10-2003Edmonton, Alta.Arizona (NHL)/Edmonton (WHL)ARI '21 (1, 9)
12nophotoReid SchaeferForwardL6'421909-21-2003Spruce Grove, Alta.Seattle (WHL)EDM '22 (1, 32)
1414869Zach DeanForwardL6'019201-04-2003Mount Pearl, N.L.Gatineau (LHJMQ)
1514049Shane WrightForwardR6'019201-05-2004Burlington, Ont.Seattle (NHL)/Kingston (OHL)SEA '22 (1, 4)
1615792Connor BedardForwardR5'1018507-17-2005North Vancouver, B.C.Regina (WHL)'23 (, )
17nophotoColton DachForwardL6'420501-04-2003Fort Saskatchewan, Alta.Kelowna (WHL)CHI '21 (2, 62)
18nophotoCaedan BankierForwardL6'219001-26-2003Surrey, B.C.Kamloops (WHL)MIN '21 (3, 86)
1915461Adam FantilliForwardL6'219510-12-2004Nobleton, Ont.University of Michigan (Big Ten)'23 (, )
20nophotoZack OstapchukForwardL6'319805-29-2003St. Albert, Alta.Vancouver (WHL)VAN '18 (1, 12)
2114113Nathan GaucherForwardR6'320711-06-2003Richelieu, Que.Québec (LHJMQ)
214116Nolan AllanDefenceL6'319304-28-2003Davidson, Sask.Seattle (WHL)CHI '21 (1, 32)
313920Olen ZellwegerDefenceL5'1018209-10-2003Fort Saskatchewan, Alta.Everett (WHL)ANA '21 (2, 34)
4nophotoTyson HindsDefenceL6'318803-12-2003Gatineau, Que.Sherbrooke (LHJMQ)ANA '21 (3, 76)
514040Brandt ClarkeDefenceR6'218502-09-2003Nepean, Ont.Los Angeles (NHL)/Barrie (OHL)LAK '21 (1, 8)
2414038Ethan Del MastroDefenceL6'420601-15-2003Freelton, Ont.Mississauga (OHL)CHI '21 (4, 105)
2516024Kevin KorchinskiDefenceL6'318506-21-2004Saskatoon, Sask.Seattle (WHL)CHI '22 (1, 7)
2714907Jack MatierDefenceR6'420204-08-2003Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.Ottawa (OHL)

Number PlayerPosCatchesHeightWeightDOBHometownCurrent TeamNHL Draft
113937Thomas MilicGoaltenderL6'117504-14-2003Coquitlam, B.C.Seattle (WHL)'23 (, )
2914036Benjamin GaudreauGoaltenderL6'217201-11-2003Corbeil, Ont.Sarnia (OHL)

That's your answer... going big...

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Tough news for Lambos. HC typically brings back returnees as well, from what I can recall, so must have been some close competition in camp. Politics aside, just how it goes sometimes.

On the positive side, I suppose, it's good news for the Ice to keep the band together and hopefully keep gaining ground on teams.

Need to make my way out to a few more games. Always fun watching Savoie, Geekie and Lambos cause havoc.

Reactions: Guardian17

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Tough news for Lambos. HC typically brings back returnees as well, from what I can recall, so must have been some close competition in camp. Politics aside, just how it goes sometimes.

On the positive side, I suppose, it's good news for the Ice to keep the band together and hopefully keep gaining ground on teams.

Need to make my way out to a few more games. Always fun watching Savoie, Geekie and Lambos cause havoc.

I was thinking the same thing about the silver lining for the ICE... it won't hurt to have Lambos around a little more. Maybe it will be a motivating factor for him?

And on your list of players, don't forget Zach Benson. I think he just might be the most entertaining player on the team this season!

Reactions: Mooche

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I was thinking the same thing about the silver lining for the ICE... it won't hurt to have Lambos around a little more. Maybe it will be a motivating factor for him?

And on your list of players, don't forget Zach Benson. I think he just might be the most entertaining player on the team this season!

Er, no kidding, my bad on that one.

Benson is going to be a stud. Been a lot of fun to watch him develop over the past few seasons, too. Love that rugged element to his game.

Whoever nabs him near the top of the 2023 Draft is going to be a happy team in the future.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Er, no kidding, my bad on that one.

Benson is going to be a stud. Been a lot of fun to watch him develop over the past few seasons, too. Love that rugged element to his game.

Whoever nabs him near the top of the 2023 Draft is going to be a happy team in the future.

Apart from his on ice abilities, one thing I love about Benny is his sheer enthusiasm. He's a bit like Ehlers in that regard. He's good at what he does, he loves what he does, and it shows. Lots of smiles and good vibes.

Fun fact: Benson grew up in a carny family (well, sort of). His family owns a large travelling amusement ride company that operates in BC, AB and SK:

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
WHL fines 50 Below Sports + Entertainment $500,000 for failure to build new facility in time for 2023-24 season.

This is not something you do if you are trying to encourage construction of a new arena and have the team remain in the market. For instance, I doubt Bettman and the NHL board are fining the Coyotes for failing to have a proper arena.

This sounds to me like a situation where the WHL has given up on Fettes + Cockell and they're trying to get them to sell the team and move it somewhere else. Because when you have a team playing out of a tiny temporary arena and they are probably struggling to get by due to their limited capacity and let's face it, fairly low demand, saddling them with a half million dollar fine could be the death blow for the organization. When 50 Below is already in the hole for X dollars, adding another $500,000 to the tab might be enough to make them walk away.

Interesting that 50 Below won't say anything about this either. I can tell you that whenever I talk to someone out of town fans about the ICE, the arena is the first thing they always ask about. I'd imagine Fettes + Cockell must get these questions on a daily basis. But they haven't spoken out publicly in over two years.

This is pretty grim news for the future of the ICE. I'm starting to think there may not be a next season, at least in Winnipeg.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is not something you do if you are trying to encourage construction of a new arena and have the team remain in the market. For instance, I doubt Bettman and the NHL board are fining the Coyotes for failing to have a proper arena.

This sounds to me like a situation where the WHL has given up on Fettes + Cockell and they're trying to get them to sell the team and move it somewhere else. Because when you have a team playing out of a tiny temporary arena and they are probably struggling to get by due to their limited capacity and let's face it, fairly low demand, saddling them with a half million dollar fine could be the death blow for the organization. When 50 Below is already in the hole for X dollars, adding another $500,000 to the tab might be enough to make them walk away.

Interesting that 50 Below won't say anything about this either. I can tell you that whenever I talk to someone out of town fans about the ICE, the arena is the first thing they always ask about. I'd imagine Fettes + Cockell must get these questions on a daily basis. But they haven't spoken out publicly in over two years.

This is pretty grim news for the future of the ICE. I'm starting to think there may not be a next season, at least in Winnipeg.

Junior Hockey sucks as a business model unless you are one of the few "have" teams in the CHL and by few I mean few. You don't get into junior hockey ownership to make money.

Kelowna, London, and one of the Quebec teams were usually the teams that had a "for profit" enterprise. Other than that If you are doing well you break even.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
This isn't a good sign, however I don't think it means it's all over and done with. This could be about the WHL putting pressure on 50 below to move forward. If friendly nudges and reminders haven't worked they might be trying some tough love. I'm suggesting that the fine could be waived if 50 below deliver an updated plan and some near term steps to begin development.

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com

I'll question the low demand argument: even with a Jets game taking place downtown, the Ice have been selling out their grandstand seating for much of the last few weeks. You're getting a sense that the hockey fans now know about this team, that this team is really good, and they're coming into the stands. Also, not seeing as many giveaways on their socials, suggesting they aren't needing to fill those seats.

Reactions: Guardian17

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
This isn't a good sign, however I don't think it means it's all over and done with. This could be about the WHL putting pressure on 50 below to move forward. If friendly nudges and reminders haven't worked they might be trying some tough love. I'm suggesting that the fine could be waived if 50 below deliver an updated plan and some near term steps to begin development.

That makes sense. The goal is to prompt some kind of action, not to punish Fettes + Cockell. But if they haven't been able to get an arena deal done in the last three years, I'm not sure what's likely to change now that inflation is driving up costs. If it was a tough thing to pull off in 2019, it's probably going to be a lot harder to do it in 2023.

I'll question the low demand argument: even with a Jets game taking place downtown, the Ice have been selling out their grandstand seating for much of the last few weeks. You're getting a sense that the hockey fans now know about this team, that this team is really good, and they're coming into the stands. Also, not seeing as many giveaways on their socials, suggesting they aren't needing to fill those seats.

That's fair. They are doing better at the gate. If you go to a weeknight game you are likely to see a decent crowd, whereas in past seasons there would have been multiple empty rows of seats. But I do get the impression that they still rely heavily on giveaways and discounts. There are always steep discounts being promoted on social media, and all the minor hockey teams and groups you see at games are generally there on free tickets. For such a small building, they do struggle to fill it up... this season there have probably only been a couple legit sellouts. I'm sure prospective investors in an arena must get second thoughts when they see pictures like this, with all the empty seats in the background:

DEJ_3989-1024x683.jpg

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
WHL fines 50 Below Sports + Entertainment $500,000 for failure to build new facility in time for 2023-24 season.

I went to a playoff game last season and had a great time.

However, the bench seats hurt my ass and there was only one concession stand to get food and drinks.

If the ICE want to thrive they need a new building.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
I went to a playoff game last season and had a great time.

However, the bench seats hurt my ass and there was only one concession stand to get food and drinks.

If the ICE want to thrive they need a new building.

Point of order: there is a second concession area. In addition to the one at the north end of the building, there is one at the south end of the building as well, in the lobby area. There are also three other bars (one on the main concourse, two at ice level) for beverages. So it isn't too bad.

I can't help out with the bench seats, though :laugh:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Point of order: there is a second concession area. In addition to the one at the north end of the building, there is one at the south end of the building as well, in the lobby area. There are also three other bars (one on the main concourse, two at ice level) for beverages. So it isn't too bad.

I can't help out with the bench seats, though :laugh:

Didn't see them, but, thanks for the clarification. :thumbu:

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020

Wow. Some damning accusations in that statement. But would the Free Press have reported the story as published if it was totally off base? A strange situation, if you ask me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad