Prospect Info: Wings Prospect Discussion

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Not sure if this had been posted previously, but the KHL actually put out a highlight video of Buchelnikov. I'm high on him (seem to be higher on him than most around here). After finally getting out from SKA and not getting a ton of ice time with his new team at first, he started producing at a pretty good pace once he got regular ice time and PP time. I think he will have a big year this year. The thing I notice about him is that even though he's not big, he still drives to the middle and goes to the net. He has a little fire in him.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Not sure if this had been posted previously, but the KHL actually put out a highlight video of Buchelnikov. I'm high on him (seem to be higher on him than most around here). After finally getting out from SKA and not getting a ton of ice time with his new team at first, he started producing at a pretty good pace once he got regular ice time and PP time. I think he will have a big year this year. The thing I notice about him is that even though he's not big, he still drives to the middle and goes to the net. He has a little fire in him.

Let's hope he continue to progress enough to join big club in the future. He also seems like very nice guy

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
One day I am thrilled about the prospect pool and the next I am not. The prospect I find most troubling is ASP. I just do not think his talent translates to the NHL. He isn't big or strong enough to play D in the NHL and, while skilled from the back end the League is seeing more and more of that (and how to play against it) with the likes of Makar and Hughes.

Henkka said:

I like to predict things. That's my job.

I have the same skill. Where do I apply?

Experience. I recall the first time it hit me that i had this skill. I was in a whore house in Tijuana. It was about 3 AM and as I prepared to grab a cab, head to the border, walk across and drive home it hit..... Right then and there I predicted my divorce. Oh, but it gets better. Before I ever entered the courtroom I predicted, I am going to lose all my wealth and end up in an apartment. Oh, but wait, there is more. I also predicted I would be driving a car never in the same decade in which I was living AND that I would have to work until 70. Still have 15 years on that one, but it looks spot on.

I predict I will be your boss soon.

Reactions: OldnotDeadWings

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
One day I am thrilled about the prospect pool and the next I am not. The prospect I find most troubling is ASP. I just do not think his talent translates to the NHL. He isn't big or strong enough to play D in the NHL and, while skilled from the back end the League is seeing more and more of that (and how to play against it) with the likes of Makar and Hughes.

Experience. I recall the first time it hit me that i had this skill. I was in a whore house in Tijuana. It was about 3 AM and as I prepared to grab a cab, head to the border, walk across and drive home it hit..... Right then and there I predicted my divorce. Oh, but it gets better. Before I ever entered the courtroom I predicted, I am going to lose all my wealth and end up in an apartment. Oh, but wait, there is more. I also predicted I would be driving a car never in the same decade in which I was living AND that I would have to work until 70. Still have 15 years on that one, but it looks spot on.

I have never understand why Larionov was so successful, he didn't have size or speed , his stick handling was average . ASP, just like Igor
has special hockey IQ, he reads play like no one else. ASP will be fine

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I mean, Axel was measured at 5'11" 180lb at the combine. He was also one of the better all-around performers. Top 25 in balance (both legs), top 10 in VO2, top 15 in endurance, and #1 in the bench press. When he comes to NA he'll probably be close to 200lbs. Stout MFer. Think Rafalski but taller.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I have never understand why Larionov was so successful, he didn't have size or speed , his stick handling was average . ASP, just like Igor
has special hockey IQ, he reads play like no one else. ASP will be fine

While I like the Rafalski analogy, yours does not work. LOL Easier to be smaller at a forward position. I would argue Larinov had outstanding stick skills. That dude didn't need to be fast because he never needed to look at the puck. He knew where IT was AND where his linemates were. Dude could pass like nobody's business. He also came into the NHL at 29. Could have have made it at 22? I dunno, but the path to the NHL is much easier for smaller players as a forward than on D.

Reactions: Guyver and lilidk

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Not sure ASP is going to get much bigger than what he is now, but if the league has figured out how to play against Makar and Hughes it's news to me. No reason at this point not to be fairly optimistic about ASP .
I'll take the first world problem of having a Norris winner that the league "has figured out how to play against" any day

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
While I like the Rafalski analogy, yours does not work. LOL Easier to be smaller at a forward position. I would argue Larinov had outstanding stick skills. That dude didn't need to be fast because he never needed to look at the puck. He knew where IT was AND where his linemates were. Dude could pass like nobody's business. He also came into the NHL at 29. Could have have made it at 22? I dunno, but the path to the NHL is much easier for smaller players as a forward than on D.
It's much easier for smaller defansman Nova days.
My all time favorite red wings defansman was Paul Coffey , also wasn't big , only 6 '

• Wow
Reactions: norrisnick

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC

I mean, Axel was measured at 5'11" 180lb at the combine. He was also one of the better all-around performers. Top 25 in balance (both legs), top 10 in VO2, top 15 in endurance, and #1 in the bench press. When he comes to NA he'll probably be close to 200lbs. Stout MFer. Think Rafalski but taller.
Norrisnick is right, ASP is not some small ass twig of a kid. I do not have a worry about him there as much, especially since he is excellent as escaping pressure

Personally having watched ASP about 10 SHL games of his this year... He's different. I see movement, decision making, and attacking all in tight space at a HIGH level. The way he uses his edges and feet in combination with his hands to be deceptive is that of a highly dynamic modern NHL defenseman. His shot is a complete weapon in every way

On the defensive side you can see him becoming more assertive as the season went on. Not puck watching and instead forcing the attacker to make a decision under pressure. I do understand he didn't play on the top pair and often played on the 3rd pair. He's gonna need more time to get up to par there, which is totally fine when we've got Mo and Ed to do the heavy lifting before and during his time in Detroit

Once he couples consistent defensive habits with his offensive game... I'm quite optimistic about the impact he will bring to this team. Very special prospect and we are lucky to have grabbed him at #17 having already grabbed Danielson

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017

Didn’t ASP test out as the strongest player at that years combine? Not sure where I read that but it was likely somewhere on this site

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Didn’t ASP test out as the strongest player at that years combine? Not sure where I read that but it was likely somewhere on this site
someone posted it above. I believe the reference is to this test:

Bench Press Test @ 50% Body Weight​

RankPower (watts/kg)Player
18.39 Axel Sandin Pellikka (Skelleftea)
2 7.92Charlie Stramel (Univ. of Wisconsin)
3 7.61Mathieu Cataford (Halifax Mooseheads)
47.58Lukas Dragicevic (Tri-City Americans)
57.13Ryan Leonard (NTDP)
67.09Cameron Allen
77.07Jonathan Castagna
87.06Bradly Nadeau
97.04Brad Gardiner
107.03Nate Danielson

Reactions: lilidk

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Norrisnick is right, ASP is not some small ass twig of a kid. I do not have a worry about him there as much, especially since he is excellent as escaping pressure

Personally having watched ASP about 10 SHL games of his this year... He's different. I see movement, decision making, and attacking all in tight space at a HIGH level. The way he uses his edges and feet in combination with his hands to be deceptive is that of a highly dynamic modern NHL defenseman. His shot is a complete weapon in every way

On the defensive side you can see him becoming more assertive as the season went on. Not puck watching and instead forcing the attacker to make a decision under pressure. I do understand he didn't play on the top pair and often played on the 3rd pair. He's gonna need more time to get up to par there, which is totally fine when we've got Mo and Ed to do the heavy lifting before and during his time in Detroit

Once he couples consistent defensive habits with his offensive game... I'm quite optimistic about the impact he will bring to this team. Very special prospect and we are lucky to have grabbed him at #17 having already grabbed Danielson

I have no interest in being right, I just haven't seen a skillset that suggests he will be successful on the defensive side of the puck at the NHL level. He is staying in Sweden in his D+2 for a reason.

Reactions: Realgud

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I have no interest in being right, I just haven't seen a skillset that suggests he will be successful on the defensive side of the puck at the NHL level. He is staying in Sweden in his D+2 for a reason.

He could be average to above average defensively but I’m never going to expect ASP to be relied on for shutdown minutes. And that’s ok.

Vector Cereal

Jan 30, 2020
I think the NHL comparables for ASP are Dunn or Montour. Not seen as a game breaking, point per game, fourth forward-type, but could put up 60+ points and not get pushed around defensively. Not a guy to play as your #1 25+ minute a night Dman, but behind Seider I think he can be a 2nd best Dman (and will probably be a luxury as our 3rd best Dman behind Mo and Ed).

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Been busy today and just looked at the score board. We had a game today USA u20 vs Sweden . It's 7:2 , Augustine in the net and Plante with 3 points

Chris Peters from Flohockey was impressed:

"Plante is being given some really good looks with this team, playing on USA Blue’s first power play unit with Hagens, Leonard, Perreault and Buium. He is a very smart player who makes good decisions with the puck and has some creativity. There’s also a good work ethic there and he showed off his speed at various points. I think he made a positive impression with the maturity of his game. "

Link

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Concerns are valid but they have very little, if anything, to do with why he's staying in Sweden. If he can have a full season in the SHL where he builds on the defensive play he showcased in the playoffs it would go a long way to alleviate concerns for me personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad