Confirmed with Link: Wings out of the bidding for Lecavalier, according to Khan (post #743)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think they have a very legitimate shot.

Of course if I am Vinny I do one of two things. I sign a one year deal for the most money possible wherever. Option two especially given his recent health I would seriously consider having the surgeries I need and since I am out of the NHL, I can have full recovery while on HGH, blood spinning the whole nine yards. Then sign next year with Tampa.

I wonder just how bitter he is over the NHL blocking Tampa and Toronto finding the loophole in the CBA. Vinny is a pillar of the community down there, him and his wife absolutely love it. This has to be an awfully tough day for him, feel for the guy and hope he honestly considers Detroit.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Interesting, but what would Tampa get out of it?

Depending on how the cap hit and salary was structured they could get him back with a FAR lower salary but a higher cap hit, and Detroit could possibly agree to keep some of that salary if needed to make the deal work.

Its a long shot, but i thought the relationship between Yzerman and Holland might be put to use in this situation.

I think its unlikely with us joining the same division next year though, neither team has any reason to do each other favors.

RedWingsNow*

There are lots of NHL teams that can use Vinny LC.
Wouldn't Toronto be a player, too?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ah, didn't know that. I can live without Franzen and his contract then, if it means Vinny.

That isn't the first contract you should think of in terms of ridding problems unless you're a Franzen hater. Some are, even as a guy that defends him, I think they should hold onto one of the buyouts for next summer just in case it looks like that might be a better idea. But there is just no reason to do it this year.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
There's lightning and a hell of a storm going on right now. It's a sign from the Gods old and new that Vinny will sign with Detroit :)

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
That isn't the first contract you should think of in terms of ridding problems unless you're a Franzen hater. Some are, even as a guy that defends him, I think they should hold onto one of the buyouts for next summer just in case it looks like that might be a better idea. But there is just no reason to do it this year.

The problem is if Franzen retires early the Wings get charged a cap hit now. he's 33 now, will be be retired before the 2019-2020 season. I think it's almost a given

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
With all the wings young guys right now if they wanted they could add Vinny for a high cap hit over the short term and play a lot of young guys.

A ~50 point, 2 way center with size is exactly what the wings need for the second line. Use Sammy and Clearys money on him and youre probably close to having what you need

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Amnesty Franzen. Restructure his contract or tell him buh-bye. Sign Vinny.

What do you do then if we buyout Franzen and Lecavalier decides to go to Montreal even for less money than we are offering?

We'd need to replace 2 top 6 forwards in free Agency with not a lot of good options left.

100% this

Keep a buyout option for next off-season if we land Vinny then Tatar or Nyquist makes a big push in development, or if Franzen declines next season we can buy him out then.

Far less risky and playing Franzen and Vinny together is probably better than any other combo you could make in Free Agency.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The problem is if Franzen retires early the Wings get charged a cap hit now. he's 33 now, will be be retired before the 2019-2020 season. I think it's almost a given

I don't and I see almost no way if he doesn't want to play out his contract that he isn't sitting on LTIR. So little concern, but you could buy him out after next year if it really scares you to death or he is flat out awful. Right now he just isn't a guy that should be talked about for it, they don't need to today and there are plenty of other options before you get close to it.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
What do you do then if we buyout Franzen and Lecavalier decides to go to Montreal even for less money than we are offering?

We'd need to replace 2 top 6 forwards in free Agency with not a lot of good options left.

100% this

Keep a buyout option for next off-season if we land Vinny then Tatar or Nyquist makes a big push in development, or if Franzen declines next season we can buy him out then.

Far less risky and playing Franzen and Vinny together is probably better than any other combo you could make in Free Agency.
I said if it means Vinny

I really don't have a problem with Franzen, more so his contract. If Vinny signs I can live without Franzen's contract. It does make sense to wait a year though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Signing Vinny could give Detroit a top 6 of

Z Dats Brunner/Nyquist

Franzen Vinny Brunner/Nyquist

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Red wings chances of getting him is atleast better now when Wings are officially an Eastern Conference team

Personally I'm pretty excited about him mentioning us specifically as a possible destination; although I concede that it could be a negotiating tactic. I mean they definitely want Montreal to think they're bidding against SOMEONE to ensure he gets the best price possible for his services.

Still, I'm hopeful. (soul crush coming in 5, 4, 3, 2,...)

Stuck in Socal

Dec 31, 2009
He will not sign with us.

Nothing will happen this off-season other than the resigning of Brunner, and probably Cleary.

I don't want to spoil the parade, but I just think this is a negotiating tactic on his part. He is going to end up in Montreal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Z Dats Brunner/Nyquist

That is championship caliber. Vinny isn't what he once was (thanks a lot Matt Cooke, yet another one) but he is still a very dynamic player in my opinion, especially on his on nights. You could also do some crazy matchups come playoffs and certain series, running the big three and I would call it that even if they are all older down the middle, good luck with that. Can you imagine Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Vinny getting to play a third pairing in the NHL, I mean in Vinny's case he honestly never seen one, not in his entire career.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Nothing will happen this off-season other than the resigning of Brunner, and probably Cleary.

I don't want to spoil the parade, but I just think this is a negotiating tactic on his part. He is going to end up in Montreal.
The "all 29 teams" part is a negotiating tactic. But if it's his goal to win another cup, there's not much point to him going to Montreal. I think Detroit is a stronger candidate if we're talking about playoff games won in the next 3 years. and Vinny has got his money coming to him from the buyout. I don't see him as seeking a huge payday from Montreal just so he can golf.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

While I think you're probably right, there's no reason not to try.

I think the WIngs can offer him more money than Montreal, although thats debatable based on who the Canadiens plan on bringing back.

He's a far better option than Weiss though.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
You guys saying that Montreal isn't where Vinny will go if he wants to win a Cup confuse me.

You are aware that they were the #2 seed in the East and have the reigning Norris Trophy Winner on their squad right? We're a 7th seed with the guy who finished 2nd for the Selke?

I mean okay, Ottawa made them look stupid but I'm not sure it's automatic that Vinny's going to think they're no-hopers. They could tweak (say by adding a guy like, Vinny perhaps?) and contend.

I mean not that any of this matters because all that really matters is what Vinny and his agent think; but it seems really weird to me to say "we've got the Cup run edge" when they finished 2nd in the conference.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The "all 29 teams" part is a negotiating tactic. But if it's his goal to win another cup, there's not much point to him going to Montreal. I think Detroit is a stronger candidate if we're talking about playoff games won in the next 3 years. and Vinny has got his money coming to him from the buyout. I don't see him as seeking a huge payday from Montreal just so he can golf.

His wife and he are both from the area if I remember right. On the flip side they aren't going to leave Tampa, that is their full-time home at this point, they have made that quite clear. And he has watched his boss do the same thing, keeping his home in Detroit and commuting a lot. He knows how well that works.

I wonder how fractured the relationship is, Stevie by most accounts really liked Vinny. I bet this is the hardest decision Stevie has ever made, seriously worse than bump guys off team Canada. This is basically if Bowman succeeded in getting Yzerman out of town when he tried. Tough day down there.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
You guys saying that Montreal isn't where Vinny will go if he wants to win a Cup confuse me.

You are aware that they were the #2 seed in the East and have the reigning Norris Trophy Winner on their squad right? We're a 7th seed with the guy who finished 2nd for the Selke?

I mean okay, Ottawa made them look stupid but I'm not sure it's automatic that Vinny's going to think they're no-hopers. They could tweak (say by adding a guy like, Vinny perhaps?) and contend.

I mean not that any of this matters because all that really matters is what Vinny and his agent think; but it seems really weird to me to say "we've got the Cup run edge" when they finished 2nd in the conference.
I'm rrrrreally not sold on that Montreal team, like you might have guessed. I think they have a lot of middling talent that won't take them far in the playoffs. I'm a Carey Price fan, but I wonder if he's going to get run out of town by their crazy media. I also think it's ridiculous that Subban won the Norris. I think they're the sort of team that lives and dies by their power play, and you can't build a postseason team like that.

So, in all, not sold. Regular season performance, especially in the East, means almost nothing. I guess we'll see for ourselves pretty soon, though.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Z Dats Brunner/Nyquist

That's a hell of a lot stronger than it's been in years :D. Hope it happens, and your other point of using Cleary and Sammy's money for the bulk of Vinny's next season REALLY drives it home.

He'll get plenty of offers and will have his pick of teams for the most part. I'd go 3 years/$21M and hope that works. I'm sure he'll see 4 and 5 year deals also from a few teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad