Confirmed with Link: Wings out of the bidding for Lecavalier, according to Khan (post #743)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

Lashoff's biggest weakness is his positioning once there is significant opposition pressure in our zone. He's prone to chasing and can get a little lost. He will need to improve in that area, and I think he will. But his efficiency in working the puck out of the zone and not being at all affected by a strong forecheck is impressive. And for a young defensive defenseman, I think his passing is pretty good. I definitely don't see it as a weakness. He's a very solid #7 right now, imo, and he has the upside to solidify himself as a #5-6 defensive defenseman in the future.

I think Lashoff is a better passer than he is a defensive guy.
For one, he's not really that physical. He doesn't "work guys over." He doesn't hit "hard." He competes -- like Drew Miller competes.

His problem is that he's brutal defensively. He picks the wrong guys. He doesn't tie guys up. He goes to the wrong places.

Some of that is being 22. But some of that is not having a very good head on his shoulders.

But whatever. Babcock finally realized how dumb it was to put Lashoff in the lineup. He needed a refresher course on it in the playoffs, unfortunately, and woke up before it was too late

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Nice to hear that the Wings were one of his favorites growing up, but I'm always skeptical that that has anything to do with where a player will sign a contract.

Me too, except when the player says it after they get bought out.

Right now it's a two horse race with Montreal and Detroit, but we'll see what other teams throw him a wildcard offer. There's quite a few teams hard up for a center of his caliber.

RedWingsNow*

I don't want to see him with a six or seven year contract. Otherwise, I would love to see him sign here.

Like I said -- I'd offer him $6.5M for three seasons---

But do i need to bring out the point totals of centers who are 36 and older again?

We can't offer him 5-6 years and be stuck paying $20 million to three over-the-hill centers 3 years from now.

I love the idea of Vinny LC- but i have to play the veto card beyond 3 years and wouldn't blame Holland if he can't can't get it done if he ends up signing for 6 years, 30M with some team.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I know Daly warned against circumventing the rules by having another team buyout a player for you, then signing him back at a lower cost but what about a scenario like this.

Lecavalier might want to finish his career in Tampa, what if Lecavalier, Yzerman and Holland worked out a deal that all sides are happy with, we keep him for a year or 2 then deal him back to Tampa to finish out his career there.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Tatar wont be top 6. Nyquist has an outside shot but I think they may give it to someone else

You're probably right. But he should be. Playing Brandon Saad in the top 6 worked out alright for the Hawks.

I could live with this.

Gator-Pavel-Z
Mule-Vinny-Brunner(Bert)
Nyquist-Helm-Tatar
Miller-Andersson-Toots(Eaves)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I see him going to Montreal. Would be nice, but not worried about whether he comes here or not.

King Kovalchuk

Jul 7, 2010
Apparently hes interested in playing for Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130627/SPORTS05/306270074/

Speaking during an afternoon conference call, Lecavalier said he's interested in Detroit. "If you just think about the Detroit Red Wings, it's actually a team I grew up idolizing. Them and Montreal were my favorite teams. Ironically, Steve Yzerman was my favorite hockey player."

Edit: Nvm didn't see the 6th page.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
You're probably right. But he should be. Playing Brandon Saad in the top 6 worked out alright for the Hawks.

This is something I'd like to see Babcock start doing.

Rookies like Nyquist and Tatar paid their dues to make the team, now that they've arrived I'd like to see them in positions to succeed.

Not only will they both produce far better #'s in the top 6, they'll probably learn more both by playing with and facing better opposition.

You can always move them down the line-up if problems arise, but at least give them the opportunity to succeed.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
This is something I'd like to see Babcock start doing.

Rookies like Nyquist and Tatar paid their dues to make the team, now that they've arrived I'd like to see them in positions to succeed.

Not only will they both produce far better #'s in the top 6, they'll probably learn more both by playing with and facing better opposition.

You can always move them down the line-up if problems arise, but at least give them the opportunity to succeed.

I've been thinking the same thing for years- don't be afraid to put young guys in roles that take advantage of their skill sets. Like you said, you can always bounce them down the lineup or into the pressbox if they screw up too badly.

Babs' typical MO of rigidly burying young forwards down the lineup regardless of skill probably isn't the best tactic for every player. In a similar vein, his automatic reaction to move "his guys" up the lineup when injuries happen instead of giving a skilled young guy a real shot in the top 6 isn't always ideal, either.

RedWingsNow*

I know Daly warned against circumventing the rules by having another team buyout a player for you, then signing him back at a lower cost but what about a scenario like this.

Lecavalier might want to finish his career in Tampa, what if Lecavalier, Yzerman and Holland worked out a deal that all sides are happy with, we keep him for a year or 2 then deal him back to Tampa to finish out his career there.

Interesting, but what would Tampa get out of it?

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
I think Lashoff is a better passer than he is a defensive guy.
For one, he's not really that physical. He doesn't "work guys over." He doesn't hit "hard." He competes -- like Drew Miller competes.

His problem is that he's brutal defensively. He picks the wrong guys. He doesn't tie guys up. He goes to the wrong places.

Some of that is being 22. But some of that is not having a very good head on his shoulders.

But whatever. Babcock finally realized how dumb it was to put Lashoff in the lineup. He needed a refresher course on it in the playoffs, unfortunately, and woke up before it was too late

Given his age and the fact it was his first season in the NHL, Lashoff was pretty physical. He led Wings defensemen in hits-per-game in the regular season after all. He's far more physical for a defenseman than Miller is for a forward. And he does a good job in front of the crease.

"Brutal defensively"? I disagree. But it's relative. He was no more brutal defensively than Kindl, who has a ton of experience on him. Or Smith for large chunks. He's young. He already has the difficult parts of the game down pretty well. It's the easy stuff he needs to work on, which bodes well for him.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Tatar wont be top 6. Nyquist has an outside shot but I think they may give it to someone else

I agree on Tatar, but I think Nyquist has the inside track on a spot, depending on how the rest of the offseason goes. Nyquist was top-6 in the playoffs and acquitted himself well.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
This is the guy that Holland needs to go all in for, it's right there for the taking. Give him up to $6.5mm/yr and then start the buy outs and trades for the cap space. This is as close to a no brainer as there is.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
If 'all in' means 5 years or more, I don't want that.
he's certainly capable of a top 6 role...but I think DET is going to sign one more player anf fit them in to the top 6. Now if Bert retires, then perhaps

This is the guy that Holland needs to go all in for, it's right there for the taking. Give him up to $6.5mm/yr and then start the buy outs and trades for the cap space. This is as close to a no brainer as there is.
He's not getting payed more than Hank

If 'all in' means 5 years or more, I don't want that.
4 at the most. Id prefer 3. Dont know how age will affect his production (which is what I'd be hesitant to give him for than 5.5m)

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan

100% yes. This is a chance to get a big, great goal scoring center. This opportunity rarely comes around. 6.5 for 4 years would be great. DO IT KENNY!!!!

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Fair enough. @ 6.5, Vinny can go elsewhere

Hard to have it both ways sir; either Holland is too conservative and won't pay fair market value so he doesn't get the big names. Or, he pays the price of tea in china because that's what the market bears.

I dunno who's right, but we've tried nickle and dime-ing it with retreads; I'm fine with paying the price to get VL4 as long as we aren't locked up for more than 3-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad