Confirmed with Link: Wings out of the bidding for Lecavalier, according to Khan (post #743)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
Speaking of Malik, I'm surprised he hasn't shot down the Lecavalier discussion yet.

Sort of like "there's no way Yzerman becomes Tampa's GM" or "there's no way Detroit signs Modano."

I'm not sure I know what that means, other than that it is reinforcement for myself to continue not reading Malik :laugh:

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
You're wrong and you're dumb and I hate you. Kidding. I like Lashoff more than most around here apparently, but even I don't think he's in the same universe as Brad Stuart.

I continue to hate his ex-wife. That's pretty much all I can do at this point. My issue with Lashoff is I don't think he's good enough right now to see regular minutes. I do think he's 23 years old and that might change however; which is where a lot of people differ afaict. I don't think he's super talented, but you don't have to be to become a better skater/passer. You just have to work at it.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
But the other thing too is that most people meant the Stuart comparison in the sense of the underperforming Brad Stuart we knew for a few years in Detroit. He had a stretch where he was a pretty iffy #4, so I don't think the Lashoff comparison was such a crime. Mind you, the comparison first came about not that long after Lashoff won gold at the WJC with Team USA. There was a time when he seemed like he had some promise to him.

That's agreeable context. And in addition, people often use examples as a comparison in style, not necessarily level of play or value, which is often misconstrued. Despite Stuart's original pedigree, he and Lashoff are similar in style. There are significant differences as, at his height, Stuart was a top-pairing guy and Lashoff will likely never be more than a bottom-pairing guy, but there are still strong similarities.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Unfortunately, Custance doesn't have Detroit on his list of the top five destinations for Lecavalier. Custance is pretty plugged in with Holland, but who knows.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I continue to hate his ex-wife. That's pretty much all I can do at this point. My issue with Lashoff is I don't think he's good enough right now to see regular minutes. I do think he's 23 years old and that might change however; which is where a lot of people differ afaict. I don't think he's super talented, but you don't have to be to become a better skater/passer. You just have to work at it.

Lashoff's biggest weakness is his positioning once there is significant opposition pressure in our zone. He's prone to chasing and can get a little lost. He will need to improve in that area, and I think he will. But his efficiency in working the puck out of the zone and not being at all affected by a strong forecheck is impressive. And for a young defensive defenseman, I think his passing is pretty good. I definitely don't see it as a weakness. He's a very solid #7 right now, imo, and he has the upside to solidify himself as a #5-6 defensive defenseman in the future.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Unfortunately, Custance doesn't have Detroit on his list of the top five destinations for Lecavalier. Custance is pretty plugged in with Holland, but who knows.

This coming from someone who had to add a -lund to his screen name after leading us astray once before!

But to get back on topic, some prominent media people are putting Detroit in the hunt for Lecavalier. St. James and Khan, but also Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun. At least those last two make their living on knowing what's going on in the league.

I like this post better :laugh:

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
You should read Malik, but ignore all paragraphs that don't involve links.

I can't do it, just too much garbage to sift through :laugh: Between my own amateur-hockey-watching, posts on this forum, articles on RWC and LWL, and scraps posted at MLive, I can get my prospect fix withough Malik :)

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Lashoff's biggest weakness is his positioning once there is significant opposition pressure in our zone. He's prone to chasing and can get a little lost. He will need to improve in that area, and I think he will. But his efficiency in working the puck out of the zone and not being at all affected by a strong forecheck is impressive. And for a young defensive defenseman, I think his passing is pretty good. I definitely don't see it as a weakness. He's a very solid #7 right now, imo, and he has the upside to solidify himself as a #5-6 defensive defenseman in the future.
Lets be honest...Lashoff will never be a permanent staple on any part of DET's blue line. BUT THEY DONT NEED HIM TO BE. He's 3 years worth of reliable insurance (at a cheap price) until one of Sproul/Ouellet/Marchenko/Jensen/Nicastro/Almquist/Backman/Neldomlel are ready to step in.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Lets be honest...Lashoff will never be a permanent staple on any part of DET's blue line. BUT THEY DONT NEED HIM TO BE. He's 3 years worth of reliable insurance (at a cheap price) until one of Sproul/Ouellet/Marchenko/Jensen/Nicastro/Almquist/Backman/Neldomlel are ready to step in.

Define "permanent" :) Never say never. The odds may be against him, but I can certainly see him carving out a role like Andreas Lilja did for a handful of years.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Did that really get said much around here?

I'm here an awful lot and I don't recall ever reading that, and it seems like something I'd notice and get a great laugh out of.

Nobody said anything even close to that, at least not on these boards. The most praise Lashoff got was that, during the regular season, his brain didn't reside in his ass. This was the point of the season where the D corps looked really terrible.

Lashoff looked very bad come playoff time, and should be the #8 behind CC, but it looks like Babcock/Holland want to make him the prime backup.

You should read Malik, but ignore all paragraphs that don't involve links.

This. Malik is good at linking a lot of good info in one place, but his opinions...are his own.

But to get back on topic, some prominent media people are putting Detroit in the hunt for Lecavalier. St. James and Khan, but also Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun. At least those last two make their living on knowing what's going on in the league.

Detroit being the hunt and having a reasonable chance at landing him are two different things. That said, Detroit is on the short list (probably), but Montreal just seems so obvious.

RedWingsNow*

I'm here an awful lot and I don't recall ever reading that, and it seems like something I'd notice and get a great laugh out of.

There were people saying he was as good this year as Stuart was last year when "Stuart checked out," yet another silly groupthink idea

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Form Khan's twitter:

Lecavalier said on conference call he doesn't have list of teams in mind but added he was a Wings fan growing up, along with the Habs.

It's not a wife from the area, but it's something.

no.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don;t follow the Tampa roster closely. But this move is still surprising.
Does Tampa have better places to spend money?

I think Stevie has plan B; whether it's trade in works or something. They do have Johnson and Killorn who have outside shot at playing two C but wouldn't bet on it. Johnson doesn't have many games on his belt and is like 5'8 or so. Killorn looked good last year, but it was just rookie season for him and he was at wing.

Barkov imo, isn't ready for 2 C yet.

But he may have bought Vinny bc if he's injured next year.. you're stuck with him.

I guess RDS is saying that Lecavalier will NOT play in the West. Seems like that shortens the list quite a bit. Who needs a 2nd line center in the East?

Florida
NYI
Washington
Buffalo (have many C's but could use Vinny)
Toronto
NJ
Columbus

MTL is set at C imo but with Vinny on the table, you never know.

I would have to think that if DET brings in Vinny (and I hope they do. Perfect fit on DET's 2nd line) its going to have to be for the money he was willing to give Filppula, or at least very close. Holland will still want to go out and get a Penner like player to add some size.

In regard to Yzerman's prowess as a GM, he's still trying to clean up the mess Lawson left so lets reserve judgememnt for now. Saw this earlier today:

Jeff Marek ‏@JeffMarek 5m
Lawton had him (Vinny) going to the Habs for Price, Pacioretty, a 1st and either Subban or McDonaugh

Lawson wouldnt pull the trigger :facepalm:

Well, to be fair, Vinny was monster back then. One of the best players in the league.

But yeah, still.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 6 min
So far, he's been asked about Canadiens (he will listen if they call) and Red Wings (he would consider it)...does say he wants longer term

Joe Yerdon ‏@JoeYerdonPHT 13 min
When asked about going to Detroit, Vinny says Yzerman was his favorite player growing up. Awkwaaaaard.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 19 min
I think Lecavalier just said (in French) he is open to everything and doesn't have a list of teams

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
So far, he's been asked about Canadiens (he will listen if they call) and Red Wings (he would consider it)...does say he wants longer term

Okay, I just wet myself. (too much? :) ) Please oh please oh PLEASE tell me we have a real chance of doing this. Honestly this would make me the happiest I've been during the offseason since we won a Cup/signed Hossa to try and win another.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010

Joe Yerdon ‏@JoeYerdonPHT 13 min
When asked about going to Detroit, Vinny says Yzerman was his favorite player growing up. Awkwaaaaard.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 19 min
I think Lecavalier just said (in French) he is open to everything and doesn't have a list of teams

I don't want to see him with a six or seven year contract. Otherwise, I would love to see him sign here.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Nice to hear that the Wings were one of his favorites growing up, but I'm always skeptical that that has anything to do with where a player will sign a contract.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Vinny was set to make 10m per year in salary over the next 3 years (30m). 5m per + buyout money for the next 3 years = 28.3m. Sadly it wont account for his 9m in bonus money over that span, but.....

I don't want to see him with a six or seven year contract. Otherwise, I would love to see him sign here.
No more than 4 imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad