Confirmed with Link: Wings out of the bidding for Lecavalier, according to Khan (post #743)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Another thing to consider: Lecavalier doesn't have a ton of great years left. Montreal isn't really on the cusp of winning it all (and showed that in the playoffs), but Detroit might be closer. More specifically, Lecavalier is similar in age to Zetterberg and Datsyuk (and others), and so that move might make more sense. He can sign in Detroit for what will be everyone involved's last kick at the can, and then head back to TB for a victory lap before calling it quits.

If he signs in Montreal, they might not be truly ready to go until he's about ready to retire. Even if they can win it all at that point, he might not be a big part of the team by then.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Hard to have it both ways sir; either Holland is too conservative and won't pay fair market value so he doesn't get the big names. Or, he pays the price of tea in china because that's what the market bears.

I dunno who's right, but we've tried nickle and dime-ing it with retreads; I'm fine with paying the price to get VL4 as long as we aren't locked up for more than 3-4 years.

I dont know that Vinny warrants 2m more per year than DET was willing to give Filppula. And age vs contract vs productivity is also a potential concern. Holland isnt in the business of overpaying for anyone. He didnt with Suter or Parise and he wont now

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Hard to have it both ways sir; either Holland is too conservative and won't pay fair market value so he doesn't get the big names. Or, he pays the price of tea in china because that's what the market bears.

I dunno who's right, but we've tried nickle and dime-ing it with retreads; I'm fine with paying the price to get VL4 as long as we aren't locked up for more than 3-4 years.

How often to legitimate top line centers hit free agency? Especially guys his size and abilities. The Wings would be stacked for years to come at center, and would have top legit scoring lines, a second line better than most teams top lines. If this doesn't hasten the Filppula departure I have no idea what does

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I dont know that Vinny warrants 2m more per year than DET was willing to give Filppula. And age vs contract vs productivity is also a potential concern. Holland isnt in the business of overpaying for anyone. He didnt with Suter or Parise and he wont now
Size. Leadership. Goalscoring. If I could upgrade a Filppula to a Lecavalier for 2 mil (and age him 5 years in doing so), I would do it every day of the week.

I'm very much not a Filppula fan, though.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013

This post is stunning:amazed:

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto

Agree to disagree. I really don't think Detroit's contract situation with Filppula will have any bearing on what Holland offers Vinny or if Vinny accepts or not.

Different class of player.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Size. Leadership. Goalscoring. If I could upgrade a Filppula to a Lecavalier for 2 mil (and age him 5 years in doing so), I would do it every day of the week.

I'm very much not a Filppula fan, though.
The going rate for a 20 goal 50 point players is around 4.5m. Thats what Vinny is. He does bring a bit more to the table as a center so he could see a little more, but 5.5 would be as high as I'd go

This post is stunning:amazed:
I didnt say Vinny wasnt a better player...Im just not sure he's 2m better

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
There is no "going rate" to keep in mind. Vinny Lecavalier is worth more or less depending on how many other options there are. For a guy like him, there really aren't any comparable options. It's pretty much 5'11 Steve Weiss or 6'4 Vincent Lecavalier. I'd pay the extra mil to upgrade to Lecavalier in a heartbeat.

People are always shocked by player demands, but the price of not signing a good player when you really need one is a far higher price than one would think.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Eastern Conference eams with room

Islanders
Devils
Senators
Maple Leafs
Panthers
Blue Jackets
Sabres
Rangers
Red Wings
Canadiens

Can't speak for the Amenities.

I gotta think that the Senators and Leafs will make a push. Rangers too. They've got cash to burn

I really miss the pre-salary crap era.

That being said, I REALLY hope that Holland picks up Vinnie.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
If it's true that he's staying in the East, you've got to think it's going to come down to Detroit, Montreal, NYR, and Toronto.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
There is no "going rate" to keep in mind. Vinny Lecavalier is worth more or less depending on how many other options there are. For a guy like him, there really aren't any comparable options. It's pretty much 5'11 Steve Weiss or 6'4 Vincent Lecavalier. I'd pay the extra mil to upgrade to Lecavalier in a heartbeat.

People are always shocked by player demands, but the price of not signing a good player when you really need one is a far higher price than one would think.

See, I'd go on record as saying Weiss ain't worth 5.5; don't get me wrong I know he's got a fair chance of getting it because of "the market" but that deal would scare me/piss me off.

I have absolutely no problem paying Vinny 6.5; come on, we wanted an impact player. Impact players cost $$, especially in a weak market. Every single person who's been complaining about Holland's "stones" should be thrilled if this happens; I'm more worried about how mad I'm going to be when it doesn't!

You do it on the cheap and you get guys like Sammy; aren't we done with that yet?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
If it's true that he's staying in the East, you've got to think it's going to come down to Detroit, Montreal, NYR, and Toronto.

I think Ottawa will be in on any major FA with all of their cap space and need to add offense to their forward lines. Although unless he's blown away by an offer from the Sens, he may turn them down just to avoid the wrath of the Habs fanbase.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Asked whether there'd be worse fates than being teammates with Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, Lecavalier laughed. "Definitely, those guys, they're one of the best duos in the league. And I mean, Detroit, they've made the playoffs the last 20 years. They're a great team. They're a great organization.

"It'd definitely be a place that I think I would consider, for sure."

http://www.freep.com/article/201306...avalier-detroit-red-wings-tampa-bay-lightning

Sounds pretty good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad