Windsor Spitfires 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I didn’t think the first period was that bad. A pretty bad 2 on 1, and then the second goal, looked pretty soft on Joey from down at the other end. Haven’t seen the replay yet.

Looked like we were playing overly aggressive to try and put it away early and had some bad breaks in our end. We out shot the Gens 15-8 in the first… 18-4 in the second, 17-5 in the 3rd.

Glad to see a coach rewarding great play. Greentrees numbers are insane so far. He’s getting a good chunk of quiet secondary assists. Overall, good weekend against some tough clubs.

6-1-1 is a great start. 13 of 16 points is unsustainable, but after each game I’m thinking a little bit more this club might be the real deal.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I didn’t think the first period was that bad. A pretty bad 2 on 1, and then the second goal, looked pretty soft on Joey from down at the other end. Haven’t seen the replay yet.

Looked like we were playing overly aggressive to try and put it away early and had some bad breaks in our end. We out shot the Gens 15-8 in the first… 18-4 in the second, 17-5 in the 3rd.

Glad to see a coach rewarding great play. Greentrees numbers are insane so far. He’s getting a good chunk of quiet secondary assists. Overall, good weekend against some tough clubs.

6-1-1 is a great start. 13 of 16 points is unsustainable, but after each game I’m thinking a little bit more this club might be the real deal.
I think you’re exactly like kitchener last year

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A few thoughts...

The Good:

- 50 shots on goal. That speaks volumes in itself.
- 17 shots against. Again...
- Greentree with a four-point night. He doesn't have to be "the guy" but he's doing everything right so far.
- Belchetz with five shots but no goals. Teams are realizing that he's a force and they're adjusting, but he's still getting chances, which is good to see.
- Costanzo didn't have to do much but was rock solid when he was called upon.
- Love to see guys like Walton get a goal. The kid has worked hard and deserved it.
- Oster certainly earned a star for the Gens. Without him, Windsor scores 7 or 8, maybe even more.
- Protas makes it looks easy. He's not flashy but give him a chance and he'll bury it.

The Bad:

- I didn't like the start at all. Windsor looked shaky and disorganized offensively, which didn't help defensively. I wasn't thrilled about either of the goals against but they could have been worse.
- Cowbells can be banned from sports and I wouldn't be upset. (this is me trying to think of anything negative)

Honestly, one of the more complete games you'll see from this team. They consistently outshot the Generals, rebounded from a couple of bad breaks, and showed why they're entering contender status. There's not much to be cranky about with a 6-1-1 record; nobody here expected that but I'll certainly take it.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Very pleased overall after today's game ve Oshawa,thought their 2nd goal was a softy,but the Spits put their heads and worked their ass off the rest of night and badly outplayed the Generals the last 50 minutes of the game and most everyone played well especially the line of Abraham, Potras and Greentree, 8 points combined for the group,Morneau line was very solid, Gaymes has really stepped aside from being a pest,very proficient not has 6 points in his 8 games in fact 6 points his last 6,great for a 14th round pick much like Morneau who was a15th rounder and he scored va PP goal.
Game winner was by Konnor Walton his 1st of the season.
Interesting stat about Walton he has 2 career goals in 76 games played and both were game winners.
Nice to see Costanzo settle down after allowing the 2nd goal though he was rarely tested after Oshawa led 2-0
Very proficient game by most players strong on all areas.
Spits still 1st overall in the league 6-1-1 after 8 games,and 5 of those games have been won on the road.
Costanzo now has won 6 in a row, 3 at home and 3 on the road, and by the way has only allowed 4 goals in those 3 games,1.33 average
His overall average is now 6-0,2.33 average and .925 save percentage.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I agree considering his situation Protas if he continues his impressive play he will be a 1 year one and done player unfortunately for Windsor but great for him,has huge upside,great pick by Bowler well done.
The only thing that might change things is if the Spits are a legitimate MEM cup candidate next year sometimes the big clubs will assign them back for leadership experience making a run. Fingers crossed lol.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I was talking about this with a buddy afterwards - do they buy small this season and build for next? Or do they buy big this season in case a few guys are gone next season?
If they keep this up to the deadline, Bowler may be forced to seriously go this year. D will still be the issue at the deadline. Joey showing goaltending is currently in a good place so far. 1 question mark everyone had to start the year. 6-0 is fantastic for JC and we've played some tough road games already. Need to keep foot on the gas when playing lesser ranked opponents as well.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If they keep this up to the deadline, Bowler may be forced to seriously go this year. D will still be the issue at the deadline. Joey showing goaltending is currently in a good place so far. 1 question mark everyone had to start the year. 6-0 is fantastic for JC and we've played some tough road games already. Need to keep foot on the gas when playing lesser ranked opponents as well.

Right now, it's a battle between "are they contending or are teams taking them lightly?" There's no true answer. However, if they keep this up until Christmas, and with Bowler already mentioning Musty as anything but "not a chance in Hell", it's tough to refuse a "buy", however big it may be.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Right now, it's a battle between "are they contending or are teams taking them lightly?" There's no true answer. However, if they keep this up until Christmas, and with Bowler already mentioning Musty as anything but "not a chance in Hell", it's tough to refuse a "buy", however big it may be.
Which side is the grass green on?

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I was talking about this with a buddy afterwards - do they buy small this season and build for next? Or do they buy big this season in case a few guys are gone next season?
I feel like this has 21-22 potential again. Planning the run for next year, but over performing for a conservative buying year. The only thing is… you wonder if Bowler regrets not going all in on that first go round. Imagine if we snagged Xhekaj… I don’t question we would’ve won the OHL.

I really like Protas, but with that AHL eligibility, in my mind, I already have him gone next year.

Does Bowler follow the same pattern, or does he regret not pushing that year and goes for the push now if we’re right there in contention?

I think his decisions this year will show whether he regrets not going for it a year earlier…

Either way, I’m here for the ride. This is going to be fun!

Reactions: OHLTG

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I don’t think of Musty as that attractive right now. I like our D core, but it could be better. I like our Forwards, but we have 3 quality top lines and come playoff time, with the extended commercial breaks, it’s rare more than 9 forwards see ice time anyways. If we’re going to spend, I’d rather pay top dollar for an 05 D Man, that’s highly likely to return next year, than a rental forward for mid-top prices.

Sure, could we add depth? I guess. But at zero cost, we’ve got some young guys that seem to have that potential to step up when needed. I wouldn’t put high expectations on most rookies, but I’m impressed with Garden and Lemieux, and well… I have high expectations of Belchetz.

If we have some major injuries I could see going out and getting some help up front, but with Davis sounding day to day and Outwater week to week, I don’t feel like we have much room up front.

Our rookie forwards are overproducing IMO. Even Gaymes is notching quality points. Martins the only one that’s got low numbers, but he’s got some zip, and creates some space for the scoring guys.

Saginaw Game 1? Maybe. I can’t see any team underestimating a team that was yet to lose in regulation coming into the weekend… regardless of where the CHL ranks them 😉

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I feel like this has 21-22 potential again. Planning the run for next year, but over performing for a conservative buying year. The only thing is… you wonder if Bowler regrets not going all in on that first go round. Imagine if we snagged Xhekaj… I don’t question we would’ve won the OHL.

Xhekaj is from Hamilton so I can't see anyone else getting him.
I don’t think of Musty as that attractive right now. I like our D core, but it could be better. I like our Forwards, but we have 3 quality top lines and come playoff time, with the extended commercial breaks, it’s rare more than 9 forwards see ice time anyways. If we’re going to spend, I’d rather pay top dollar for an 05 D Man, that’s highly likely to return next year, than a rental forward for mid-top prices.

That's almost exactly what I told my buddy. "I like Musty but we don't need him. Get me an 05 or 06 D with experience and we're looking good."
If we have some major injuries I could see going out and getting some help up front, but with Davis sounding day to day and Outwater week to week, I don’t feel like we have much room up front.

From what I understand, it's the other way around with Davis and Outwater.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Regarding Davis and Outwater if they have to be out 2 weeks that's fine with me because in just under 3weeks we lose Belchetz, Lemieux and Hicks to U17 tournament Canadian teams,only team in the league losing 3 to that tournament, 4 other teams have 2 going though 2 of those have 1 roster player and 1-16 year old in Junior B being invited.
Want to be careful re Davis and Outwater no need to rush.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Value buying is ALWAYS a good idea - - adding an under-the-radar 18 year old for a couple of inconsequential middling draft picks will improve your bottom six forwards or third pairing defence this year and then develop into a dependable middle six forward or second pairing defence next year. You might even get an extra OA season or trade him away to not only recoup the picks it cost to acquire him but also acquire even more quality or quantity of picks.

Just don’t make the catastrophic mistake of blowing your brains out and foolishly overpaying a half dozen top picks and quality 17 year old players for a one-and-done player like Musty or Colby Barlow.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Value buying is ALWAYS a good idea - - adding an under-the-radar 18 year old for a couple of inconsequential middling draft picks will improve your bottom six forwards or third pairing defence this year and then develop into a dependable middle six forward or second pairing defence next year.

Bowler's done surprisingly well with this; he got Maillet and Christopoulos a few years back for picks. However, if they're going for a run this season, they need a bigger guy, someone who's proven. I'm not saying Musty but a top pairing (or second pairing at most) D would be ideal.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
was not expecting a win today, a dazzling effort. Oshawa is considered a contender, in the 2nd and 3rd periods, the Generals could not touch the puck. Collecting 50 shots on goal against that squad is a great sign. Was surprised how quiet Sennecke and Barlow were, especially considering how high they were drafted. Could have been a reach by the Ducks taking him at 3rd overall. Barlow somehow has zero goals. Solid crowd of just under 5,100.

The development of basically every player compared to last season has been crazy. This is basically the same d -core with the addition of Mathuirin and the rookies(who look good).

Greentree with 16 points to lead the OHL. And Protas continues to dominate, with Nesbitt looking good at center on that line. Morneau seems to have improved his shot.

One of the hardest portions of the schedule is now almost done. Keep it going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad