Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Talk | The Slow Crawl to the Season

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wonder how we can fit in Gibson and Zegras . Probably need to send big Val the other way , Manson too (that’s just for salary /cap)??

Something has to be done .
My ideal trade is to swing for the fences:

Fowler @ 50% retention
Gibson

For

Girard
Wood
Georgiev
Gulyayev
Zellers/other prospect not named Ritchie
2026 2nd

Reasons Anaheim does it:
Finally moves on from Gibson after years of shopping him, letting Dostal become the official #1. They also get 6 years younger from Fowler to Girard which fits their timeline better, can let Georgiev walk as a UFA, add an A level prospect defensemen plus another prospect and 2nd.

Reasons Colorado does it:
Get a similar style defensemen to Girard albeit one who is bigger and stronger, but 6 years older. They swing for the fences hoping Gibson can return to being a great goaltender, and they free up 1.35M in cap space to activate all of Landy/Nuke/Lehkonen without needing to make additional moves.

Reactions: AvalancheSpeedsters

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Fowler @ 50% retention
Gibson

For

Girard
Wood
Georgiev
Gulyayev
2026 2nd

Reasons Anaheim does it:
Finally moves on from Gibson after years of shopping him, letting Dostal become the official #1. They also get 6 years younger from Fowler to Girard which fits their timeline better, can let Georgiev walk as a UFA, add an A level prospect defensemen plus another prospect and 2nd.

Get a similar style defensemen to Girard albeit one who is bigger and stronger, but 6 years older. They swing for the fences hoping Gibson can return to being a great goaltender, and they free up 1.35M in cap space to activate all of Landy/Nuke/Lehkonen without needing to make additional moves.

Honestly disagree with you all trying to get rid of Wood. Just saying..

Reactions: Alienblood

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Fowler @ 50% retention
Gibson

For

Girard
Wood
Georgiev
Gulyayev
2026 2nd

Reasons Anaheim does it:

You make them retain a little on Gibson, maybe not 50%, but something.

It's purely for cap purposes unless the Ducks retain 2.5M less and we keep Wood.

Personally, I'd get rid of the dummy because dumb as f*** hockey players don't win games in the playoffs.

Wood has been more valuable than Ross f***in Colton IMO, the dude isn't even running the 3C effectively, nor looked any better playing up as a winger.

4x4 is a fat f***in failure. Wood has earned his money.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You make them retain a little on Gibson, maybe not 50%, but something.

Wood has been more valuable than Ross f***in Colton IMO, the dude isn't even running the 3C effectively, nor looked any better playing up as a winger.

4x4 is a fat f***in failure. Wood has earned his money.
I think both are bad and ideally the Avs move on from both asap.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think both are bad and ideally the Avs move on from both asap.
That's a weak response..

Wood has contributed, hit people, been first to pucks, and the other hasn't even come close to earning his check.

They don't automatically get to be lumped together because we acquired them around the same time.

One is paid to play north south, hit, skate fast, and go to the net, the other is paid to drive a f***in line, and do those things. 4M vs 2.5M

Reactions: Alienblood

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's a weak response..

Wood has contributed, hit people, been first to pucks, and the other hasn't even come close to earning his check.

They don't automatically get to be lumped together because we acquired them around the same time.
I don't know why you'd say that when last season Colton had 40 points to Wood's 26, and Colton had 141 hits to Wood's 107.

Wood skates fast. He also skates stupid. Colton has just barely higher hockey IQ than Wood to me. Both are dummies. Both can go.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wood is a zero IQ 4th line banger. If he’s doing that, he’s great. Problem is he’s a third liner here and paid like one. I think the same can be said about Colton, but at least Colton has some offensive pop to his game.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What on earth has Miles Wood done through 3 games this season for you to be so defensive of him yet so anti-Colton?

You realize even this season Colton has 12 hits to Wood's 3, and 2 points to Wood's 1?

His job? Go to the net, hit people, and
play physical.

4x4 is paid to do more than that.

I wanted Ross traded badly though before the draft while he still looked good. That contract is dog shit if he can't actually run the third line.

Wood is absolutely fine. He's just a physical bottom six winger.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Wood is a zero IQ 4th line banger. If he’s doing that, he’s great. Problem is he’s a third liner here and paid like one. I think the same can be said about Colton, but at least Colton has some offensive pop to his game.

2,5M is barely 3rd line money. But I agree, he should mostly be on the 4th line and play up only in case of injures.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He has 3 hits in 3 games because he can't read plays fast enough to make hits.

Is that really doing his job?

He has a goal, and has beat out icings multiple times.

It a completely different expectation. One makes 2.5M the other 4M.

Wood is fine, Ross Colton isn't running our third line as a center and isn't scoring or creating shit playing up on the wing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
2,5M is barely 3rd line money. But I agree, he should mostly be on the 4th line and play up only in case of injures.
With 3rd liners you can get a lot of run out of term to lower the AAV. Which is what they did to keep it from 3-3.5m. It’s a fundamental problem to be paying a 4th liner, 3rd liners money. Avs have enough excess value issues, and that contract compounds it.

Even healthy the 3rd line is dumb as rocks and plays a pure 4th line style of game. LOC does what he can, but he can’t solve all those issues. Against bad teams, it’s fine to have that as a 3rd line. Against good teams, it is an easily exploitable line.

It would do the Avs a lot of good to rethink how they operate as a 3rd line and get Bednar to be willing to play a different style there.

Wood is fine, Ross Colton isn't running our third line as a center and isn't scoring or creating shit playing up on the wing.
Colton isn’t running the third line because Bednar… not Colton.

Colton has been very far from good, but he’s not high on my list of issues so far.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
His job? Go to the net, hit people, and
play physical.

4x4 is paid to do more than that.

I wanted Ross traded badly though before the draft while he still looked good. That contract is dog shit if he can't actually run the third line.

Wood is absolutely fine. He's just a physical bottom six winger.
Colton has more points, hits, shots and blocks than Wood since last season... Colton has significantly outplayed him and is arguably more worth his contract than Wood.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

They're both bottom six forwards. Just because Colton makes 4M doesn't mean his expectations are otherworldly higher than Wood's. He will outproduce Wood again this season as he should.

Wood isn't doing anything right now to warrant any positive talk of him. I defended him last year but I am fully aboard the "Trade Wood" train asap.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

That offense pop isn't showing for me. The game is way faster than he can process playing top six minutes. I'd rather they keep him at center on the third line than play him up tbh. He's at least average there if he has the right wingers.

They're both bottom six forwards. Just because Colton makes 4M doesn't mean his expectations are otherworldly higher than Wood's. He will outproduce Wood again this season as he should.

Wood isn't doing anything right now to warrant any positive talk of him. I defended him last year but I am fully aboard the "Trade Wood" train asap.

It's almost twice as much lol?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
With 3rd liners you can get a lot of run out of term to lower the AAV. Which is what they did to keep it from 3-3.5m. It’s a fundamental problem to be paying a 4th liner, 3rd liners money. Avs have enough excess value issues, and that contract compounds it.

Even healthy the 3rd line is dumb as rocks and plays a pure 4th line style of game. LOC does what he can, but he can’t solve all those issues. Against bad teams, it’s fine to have that as a 3rd line. Against good teams, it is an easily exploitable line.

It would do the Avs a lot of good to rethink how they operate as a 3rd line and get Bednar to be willing to play a different style there.

Colton has been very far from good, but he’s not high on my list of issues so far.

"Even healthy" :laugh: I wish!

But, if this team was 100% healthy and coke free, Wood wouldn't touch the 3rd line.

Drouin MacK Rants
Landy Mitts Nuke
Lehky Colton LOC
Wood IDK Kovalenko

And I'd imagine Kovalenko is going to be above Wood in hierarchy quickly the way he is playing. 2,5M is 0,5-1M too much for 4th liner tho.. Wood contract isn't horrible but it's not good either. We'd be better off without it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That offense pop isn't showing for me. The game is way faster than he can process playing top six minutes. I'd rather they keep him at center on the third line than play him up tbh. He's at least average there if he has the right wingers.

And he has almost twice as many points? While out hitting him?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

For a guy like Colton… 2 points in 3 games isn’t bad and he’s generated chances. Out of a 40 point sort of player, he’s around where you should expect.

I agree at him being at Center. Kelly 3C is an enormous issue on the team.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

No, he isn't, but I'm not taking Wood and Colton being evaluated the same way lol.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
"Even healthy" :laugh: I wish!

But, if this team was 100% healthy and coke free, Wood wouldn't touch the 3rd line.

Drouin MacK Rants
Landy Mitts Nuke
Lehky Colton LOC
Wood IDK Kovalenko

And I'd imagine Kovalenko is going to be above Wood in hierarchy quickly the way he is playing. 2,5M is 0,5-1M too much for 4th liner tho.. Wood contract isn't horrible but it's not good either. We'd be better off without it.
They won’t be healthy… but Bednar really loves his lines that work the way he intends them to play. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t try to keep the roaring 20s together beyond logic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad