Player Discussion Elias Pettersson Talk | Also Chiropractors, the Medical Staff, and You

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Is Petey the most divisive player we've had since the twins were starting out?
Pretty much.

I think Miller is extremely overrated here but the divide isnt really there because I am alone on the other side of the chasm. :D

This isn't 'needs someone to complain about'.

Pettersson has 0 ES goals in 34 games. 1 ES goal in his last 40 games. He has looked absolutely horrific for half a season. This would be a major story for any superstar athlete in any sport in any city.

It's not 'hate'. It's one of our most important players playing so badly that if it continues it essentially ends our competitive window. It's a big f***ing deal.
How many ES goals does Miller have in that span?

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I'm amazed by how confident people are that this time it's different and it won't be 2022 all over again where everyone was irate about his multi-season spanning slump - and there were even rumours that his injury was fake too! Most of this board wanted to trade him and then he popped off for 40 goals and 100 points and looked amazing while doing it.

Also amazed at how confident a small number of people are that his injury was either fake or entirely insignificant and they definitely know that his dropoff in play is due to some other random factor with no supporting evidence instead of the known injury.

Lastly, also amazed at how even I am tempted to speculate with no evidence, I've never been entirely convinced that his wrist fully healed and wasn't an ongoing chronic injury with some ebbs and flows, but I have nothing really solid to base this on other than watching how he plays now compared to earlier seasons. Something about EP makes it irresistibly tempting to speculate.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm amazed by how confident people are that this time it's different and it won't be 2022 all over again where everyone was irate about his multi-season spanning slump - and there were even rumours that his injury was fake too! Most of this board wanted to trade him and then he popped off for 40 goals and 100 points and looked amazing while doing it.

Also amazed at how confident a small number of people are that his injury was either fake or entirely insignificant and they definitely know that his dropoff in play is due to some other random factor with no supporting evidence instead of the known injury.

Lastly, also amazed at how even I am tempted to speculate with no evidence, I've never been entirely convinced that his wrist fully healed and wasn't an ongoing chronic injury with some ebbs and flows, but I have nothing really solid to base this on other than watching how he plays now compared to earlier seasons. Something about EP makes it irresistibly tempting to speculate.

I have no doubts that at some point Pettersson with check back in and decide to compete again.

The question is how much time will be wasted before that happens.

And you don’t get a free pass for checking out for half a season.

The injury stuff is just lame excuses. Star players play hurt all the time and still find ways to show up and give acceptable performances. You’re an $11.6 million player. Suck it up and compete. Move your f***ing feet.

Reactions: sting101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The other thing that factors into reactions to this is that this pretentious aloof diva spent basically a year, prior to his play tanking, holding the city/franchise to ransom with his Lebron-esque ‘Will I/won’t I’ and cruises with Friedman about re-signing here and basically saying he was walking if the team didn’t compete.

Because of that, and because of the events of 2021, he gets zero benefit of the doubt from me in the way other players would. I don’t like him. I think he’s a pretentious little prick. But he’s also a fantastic, franchise-changing player when he’s competing and we’re basically married to him as fans so we’d better hope it sorts quickly. Someone needs to figure out how to push his buttons ASAP.

And I know this will get dozens of notifications overnight from the fanboys, and I know what you’ll say, and I don’t really have much interest in debating it.

• Wow
Reactions: Coffees

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
The other thing that factors into reactions to this is that this pretentious aloof diva spent basically a year, prior to his play tanking, holding the city/franchise to ransom with his Lebron-esque ‘Will I/won’t I’ and cruises with Friedman about re-signing here and basically saying he was walking if the team didn’t compete.

Because of that, and because of the events of 2021, he gets zero benefit of the doubt from me in the way other players would. I don’t like him. I think he’s a pretentious little prick. But he’s also a fantastic, franchise-changing player when he’s competing and we’re basically married to him as fans so we’d better hope it sorts quickly. Someone needs to figure out how to push his buttons ASAP.

And I know this will get dozens of notifications overnight from the fanboys, and I know what you’ll say, and I don’t really have much interest in debating it.
It almost seems like hes mad or sad that this team is ready to compete and before he was just building his resume for the next team/contract. Like the team called his bluff and got better, then he got hurt during a contract year and only we would overpay him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It almost seems like hes mad or sad that this team is ready to compete and before he was just building his resume for the next team/contract. Like the team called his bluff and got better, then he got hurt during a contract year and only we would overpay him.

It felt like he was laying all the groundwork for a Matthew Tkachuk-type forced exit, that he didn’t really want want to be here … and then yeah, the team suddenly is awesome so he signs. And ever since he’s looked like his dog died.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
if he wanted to leave he could have left

i do think he's relatively unhappy in vancouver and took the money because it was a sure thing and didn't require him to play out a risky arb year but i don't think he's sulking or pouting because he wants out

i think coaching is probably a big part of it. tocchet very clearly has a 'type' when it comes to forwards and players that don't fit don't play for him for long or struggle to adapt their games to what he wants. it happened with keller and to my eye it's happening with pettersson. i don't think his effort is really in question i think he's just playing a very conservative game that he isn't well suited to

Coffees

Take one step towards the direction you want to go
Nov 12, 2021
from strictly a HFboards standpoint, there has never been this many posters actively involved in a player discussion thread in a long time

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
from strictly a HFboards standpoint, there has never been this many posters actively involved in a player discussion thread in a long time

Well, I mean, it’s a Big F*cking Deal.

Whether you believe his play is totally explained by a minor injury or whether you think he’s a total flake, his play over a large sample size is a Big F*cking Deal.

If Nathan Mackinnon or Connor McDavid were putting up 1 ES goal and a sub-40 point pace over 40+ games, that’s the only thing those fanbases would be talking about too.

Coffees

Nov 12, 2021

Whether you believe his play is totally explained by a minor injury or whether you think he’s a total flake, his play over a large sample size is a Big F*cking Deal.

If Nathan Mackinnon or Connor McDavid were putting up 1 ES goal and a sub-40 point pace over 40+ games, that’s the only thing those fanbases would be talking about too.
Absolutely they would I agree. And what would our fanbase be doing if Mackinnon or McDavid have only 25 points by game 47? We would probably be laughing a lot but deep down knowing also those players will return to form.

Reactions: arttk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
As best I can tell JT Miller is 13-18-31 at ES in his last 40 games and Elias Pettersson is 1-12-13.

Ilya Mikheyev was 1-7-8 in his last 40 games as a Canuck at ES, for perspective.
Is this is what I mean by cherry picking…

For Petey you want to extend the 40 games into this season to show oh look the last 40 consecutive games is just 1 ES goal and then for Mik, let’s not count the 3 games beside Bedard where he got 0 across the board and then just extend the window out to include a couple more ES assists. It’s shit like this where you are doing uneven comparisons just to get to the conclusion you want.

If you compare the same game samples, Petterson put up 3-9-12 in ES and 7-16-23 including PP. Like I said, it’s not where you want it to be but at the same time not the dramatic as you guys want it to be which is JuSt OnE GoAl OMG CaN YoU BeLiEvE It?

Absolutely they would I agree. And what would our fanbase be doing if Mackinnon or McDavid have only 25 points by game 47? We would probably be laughing a lot but deep down knowing also those players will return to form.
I am guessing other fan base would be more supportive and not ripping their personal character.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

To be honest I don’t even know what your perspective about this anymore other than f*** this guy. It’s as if you are waiting for him to slump so you can say, yeah f*** this is who he is, not the other 300+ games, that’s a mirage. This is the real Petey, f*** him.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Is this is what I mean by cherry picking…

For Petey you want to extend the 40 games into this season to show oh look the last 40 consecutive games is just 1 ES goal and then for Mik, let’s not count the 3 games beside Bedard where he got 0 across the board and then just extend the window out to include a couple more ES assists. It’s shit like this where you are doing uneven comparisons just to get to the conclusion you want.

If you compare the same game samples, Petterson put up 3-9-12 in ES and 7-16-23 including PP. Like I said, it’s not where you want it to be but at the same time not the dramatic as you guys want it to be which is JuSt OnE GoAl OMG CaN YoU BeLiEvE It?

I am guessing other fan base would be more supportive and not ripping their personal character.
Mack was torn to shreds until he focused on his health and hockey and has kept that up since then. People knew he could be better. Petey showed how good he was in Sweden and started out great here. Then slumped, then got even better, then got so bad its glaringly worrisome. We know he can be better which is why theres comments about why isnt he at least skating hard if he has a hurt wrist, why doesnt he do what we’ve seen him do before, why doesnt he smile or pump up teammates, why doesnt he break a sweat during games these days

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
To be honest I don’t even know what your perspective about this anymore other than f*** this guy. It’s as if you are waiting for him to slump so you can say, yeah f*** this is who he is, not the other 300+ games, that’s a mirage. This is the real Petey, f*** him.
If in 40-odd games over two seasons a player looks nothing like he looked earlier in his career it's a serious problem. I don't think anyone's saying one version is more "real" than another and MS hasn't offered an explanation apart from that he could be the same player he was earlier if was in a different frame of mind, which I don't think we can know. It's certainly possible one of his injuries took away a lot of range/mobility somewhere in his body.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
He’s Swedish, that’s the answer. If he is not acting Canadian it’s because he’s Swedish.
Salming and Hoglander and Edler and Sundin and Forsberg and Alfredsson are Swedish too.but this is just you cherry picking a tiny part of what I said and isnt any gotcha moment. Mack was torn to shreds for his shitty play because people knew he could be better. People are doing it to Petey and its well deserved at the moment because we know he can do better

• Haha
Reactions: Coffees

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
If in 40-odd games over two seasons a player looks nothing like he looked earlier in his career it's a serious problem. I don't think anyone's saying one version is more "real" than another and MS hasn't offered an explanation apart from that he could be the same player he was earlier if was in a different frame of mind, which I don't think we can know. It's certainly possible one of his injuries took away a lot of range/mobility somewhere in his body.

Yeah he’s slumping, actually, it’s 2 games this season so he could come out next game and put up 3 points and this would all be moot. He could also continue to not score for the next 10 games and folks in this thread will continue to rip and talk about his personality.

Salming and Hoglander and Edler and Sundin and Forsberg and Alfredsson are Swedish too
Have you seen Naslund and the twins play here? Yeah people have different personalities. Actually I don’t think I have seen Edler show emotion like ever. Edler, Petey, Sedin, Naslund, Ohlund are like incredibly stoic on the ice.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Yeah he’s slumping, actually, it’s 2 games this season so he could come out next game and put up 3 points and this would all be moot. He could also continue to not score for the next 10 games and folks in this thread will continue to rip and talk about his personality.
Sorry, this is simply not true. He is visibly, tangibly not the same player he was. This isn't simply a slump or dry spell.

Coffees

Nov 12, 2021
Into the AM’s we enter and the conversation just got hilarious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad