Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Not sure why you would call this hire a step backwards? His resume tells me that he needs to be given a chance. I'm hoping this works out.
You knew Bowler would be hiring sooner rather than later so he could step away from the bench. Sounds like he plans on being active coming up in The Trade deadline.
How about hiring a coach first.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If Torres is being given a chance to showcase his HC talent, given his current approach, I have no issue. The team has responded well and now they've hired Newbury to help him, allowing Bowler to focus on the deadline. People wanted a thorough search for an assistant, at least, and not just some family guy... they got it. Let's see what Newbury can do.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Not sure why you would call this hire a step backwards? His resume tells me that he needs to be given a chance. I'm hoping this works out.
You knew Bowler would be hiring sooner rather than later so he could step away from the bench. Sounds like he plans on being active coming up in The Trade deadline.
Personally I would prefer the coach hire his own assistants. Finding a coach and not giving him much autonomy isn't a good look. If you want to make the case that Newbury is valuable for the rest of the year I can buy that. I just think they need to get a head coach.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Personally given the situation the SPITS are in,this is the best result we could expect. Perhaps in the NHL a veteran coach gets to pick his coaches or some of his coaches but this is not pro hockey. The GM chooses the coaches who run the team from the bench. Bowler has a lot of work ahead of him…so much that helping behind the bench is wasting his time.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Personally given the situation the SPITS are in,this is the best result we could expect. Perhaps in the NHL a veteran coach gets to pick his coaches or some of his coaches but this is not pro hockey. The GM chooses the coaches who run the team from the bench. Bowler has a lot of work ahead of him…so much that helping behind the bench is wasting his time.
I know what you're saying. The big thing is they're in that situation because of Bowler

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The one thing I'm not a huge fan of is we don't know how long Newbury is here. Bowler doesn't give out contract terms so we don't know if it's an "until the end of the season" thing or a "multi-season" thing.

With that being said, I almost wonder if Bowler DID hire his HC and it's Torres, and Torres had a part in Newbury's hiring? I'm surprised they even announced Newbury now, and not on Boxing Day or Wednesday or something.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

OHL Wish List: Christmas/Holiday Edition (Hockey News)….​

This edition gives predictions of each teams needs at the OHL trade deadline.
the SPITFIRES .Have been sellers this season, plan on the Spitfires to sell again at the deadline.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

OHL Wish List: Christmas/Holiday Edition (Hockey News)….​

This edition gives predictions of each teams needs at the OHL trade deadline.
the SPITFIRES .Have been sellers this season, plan on the Spitfires to sell again at the deadline.

Weirdly, Windsor hasn't really been sellers so far. I agree with her that we should be, as most of us know, but Bowler's done more "reshuffling" than "rebuild" to date.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The Petes have dealt some OAs, but I can't think of any team that has sold more than Windsor so far?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The Petes have dealt some OAs, but I can't think of any team that has sold more than Windsor so far?

Windsor has made four trades so far:

04 for 06 + picks
pick for 04
03+04+ pick for 03+04+picks
picks for 05

The OAs Windsor traded in the summer had to be traded to get to the limit.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
You can't equate those 03s and 04s. DeAngelis, Dionicio, and Christopoulos going out are big time seller moves. The others are just to stabilize the roster; they can't be considered buyer moves.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Collectively, age-wise, they've been pretty lateral. They dealt Dio/Christo because they won't be back next season so wanted assets. Now, if they move more OAs or 04s, and get 05/06 back, then that's the rebuild we expected.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Collectively, age-wise, they've been pretty lateral. They dealt Dio/Christo because they won't be back next season so wanted assets. Now, if they move more OAs or 04s, and get 05/06 back, then that's the rebuild we expected.
Expected .more..

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Here is a list of possible players that might be available in trade or placed on waivers…..….

O/A…….PEER…… MANCINI…… MAILLET…….
2004….MORNEAU….ABRAHAM…..ZHUGIN(IMP)
STRUTHERS..SMITH……CASTLE
TOMS…..MICHELONE…………………
( 3 O/A )…….
( 8 potential O/A next year )…………

Some moves would be limited by the number of cards available for incoming players……

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad