Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Idk. I wouldn't consider any place that was 53 minutes away my backyard. But I guess on a global scale it's quite close. Just depends on perspective.
I assume you take your car in for a checkup before venturing out for that 53 min drive? 😀

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I think everyone is bored if geography is the hot topic of the day.
You have that right.
That being said here are some numbers/ comments for various Spitfires prospects.
Today I will deal with goalies and dmen,with the forwards to follow.
Starting with goalies ages btw in brackets
Carter Froggett (17)- currently London Nationals Jr B-GP-14- 3.16,.892 save percentage, last 2 games .050 average 1 goals against, .975 save percentage, a shutout 2 wins after struggling abit after a brief 2 games with Windsor huge upside imo.
Tre Altiman-(18) La Salle Vipers-GP-24-2.67 goals against average,.924 save percentage, named goalie of the month in November by the league,has struggled lately 1-2 last 3 games 4.72 average 1-2 record,.901 save percentage, despite his small stature 5'9" plays a damn good game,just turned 18 6 weeks ago.
Dante Bertolin-(17)- GP-7,6-0 record with backup in Las Salle 3.07 average,.905 save per centage,last 3 starts 2.33 goals against, 3-0, .936 save per centage, has played very well lately, 6'-185, could challenge for a job in Windsor next if he continues his fine play acquired in 2nd round of last U18 draft.
Paulo Frasca-(17),playing for St Andrew's College which leads to University hockey usually GP-17, 3.02 average,.920 save per centage no win loss record found or recent games,never the less impressive numbers,he also is quite small 5'10-215 but in camp plus at St Andrew's has shown it doesn't matter,interesting to see what lies ahead for this player.
Cole Donahue-(16) have not been able to find where he is playing this season just turned 16 a week or so ago,was impressive at Spits camp and rookie camp too,good size,wait and see game with this goalie.

That's it for goalies,impressed for the most part looking forward to the future.

Up next the D.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Now a look at the D portion of Spitfires possible future players
Adrian Manzo-(16) R shot playing Jr B with LA Salle, 5th round pick in 23,GP-23,6G,17A,23,Pts,10 Pim,also 3 games with Windsor 1G,0A,has had an impressive with La Salle,best prospect at this position currently fully expect him to make Windsor next season and get into more games this year
Michael Lavigne-(16) drafted in the 6th round this past season,tough kid,looked good in pre season with Windsor, also in La Salle,,GP-24,0G,4A,50 Pims,has been in a couple of scraps so far this year,do expect him to compete for a job next year with Windsor
Gage Evans-(17),6'4"-205,drafted 14th round last year,rookie season with LaSalle this year,coming along nicely, aggressive, decent offense offered,GP-27,2G,6A,33 Pims, will challenge imo for position next year with Windsor, his father is a former Soo Greyhound, tough forward,hockey in the gene pool,works for me.
Evan Hjelholt-(17) just turned 17- 9 days ago big body D drafted 1st round in the recent U18 draft,playing B with Strathroy,GP-24,0G,4A,31Pims, has played some games in Windsor this year 4,was ok will be interesting to see him develop the rest of this season.
Jacob English (17) drafted 8th round last year 6'2"-165,needs to add strength RH,has bounced between B and C hockey this year,good numbers in C,GP-12,2G,6A,22 Pims,B-GP-12,0G,1A,1Pt,0P,0Pim,needs work overall to get to next level hopeful but wondering.
Luke Laevens-(16),drafted in 15th round this past draft,Sarnia area,played with Nesbitt before,JrB-GP-3,0G,2A,2Pts,2 Pims,Jr C,GP-18,3G,10A,13 Pts,27 Pims, thought he looked at camp for a 15th rounder ,think he has a future,good size 6'-190,mobile and aggressive enough, looking forward to him at next year's camp.
With the Spits having a high 1st round pick expected this coming draft,plus another high one in the 2nd round with Niagara,plus Peterborough's 2nd round pick,no doubt will spend a pick on a D in the 1st 2 rounds,plus a high pick in the U18,and Euro draft too chance to add talent at all areas especially D and F.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Spoke with some sources, use that term lightly lmao. Sorry guys! Nada, nothing, zip, zero from the spit’s hierarchy!!! Like totally quiet they say. No rumours of any coach info, not even guys that have been given interviews!! They speculate that there hasnt been any interviews even offered… no news on any trade noise. They all agree Peer should likely be gone. Some odd happenings around the team for sure, no one knows what to think.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spoke with some sources, use that term lightly lmao. Sorry guys! Nada, nothing, zip, zero from the spit’s hierarchy!!! Like totally quiet they say. No rumours of any coach info, not even guys that have been given interviews!! They speculate that there hasnt been any interviews even offered… no news on any trade noise. They all agree Peer should likely be gone. Some odd happenings around the team for sure, no one knows what to think.
I have been told that Bowler has spoken to some coach prospects some names who have coached in this league before,others who haven't, also hearing though not confirmed that Perry Wilson will be returning as goalie coach.
Sworn to secrecy on some of the named,one for sure no longer considered.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I have been told that Bowler has spoken to some coach prospects some names who have coached in this league before,others who haven't, also hearing though not confirmed that Perry Wilson will be returning as goalie coach.
Sworn to secrecy on some of the named,one for sure no longer considered.
Didn't they speak to a few last time? And turned into nobody...

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I've said for a while that this group is very tight-lipped. I know names have been floated around but you're not going to get anything pop up unless the team wants them to.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Didn't work the first time. Why go back to the well? Cheap, easy and quick option. Not many other options out there? This move is hopefully not a prelude to things to come.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits announced today a new assistant coach,former OHler and Toronto Maple Leaf Kris Newbury (41) ,15 year pro,played 5 years in the O,NHL drafted,last 2 years assistant coach with Trenton of the OHJHL.
Was a gritty tough forward in his days both in Jrs and the pros, has coached youth hockey for awhile.
Interesting hire,will be on the bench Dec 28 at Mississauga.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Kris Newbury?
Isn't that backwards?
Not sure why you would call this hire a step backwards? His resume tells me that he needs to be given a chance. I'm hoping this works out.
You knew Bowler would be hiring sooner rather than later so he could step away from the bench. Sounds like he plans on being active coming up in The Trade deadline.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
interesting hire, I'm intrigued and looking forward to see what he brings to the table, spits have had a bit of success bringing in former NHL players, hiring him as a assistant though most likely means that Torres will remain HC for remainder of year. Wonder if BB will stay on the bench for the rest of the year as well

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
interesting hire, I'm intrigued and looking forward to see what he brings to the table, spits have had a bit of success bringing in former NHL players, hiring him as a assistant though most likely means that Torres will remain HC for remainder of year. Wonder if BB will stay on the bench for the rest of the year as well
News article says Bowler will help coach 1 last game in Missy on the 28Th and then step away from the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad