Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Take a look at what Hamilton/Brantford has done over the past 5 years. Take a look at their draft cupboard (overflowing) while staying relevant and will be in contention again this year. That’s more on the scale of masterful than what BB has done.
I think they actually managed to win an OHL Championship too. For the 19 teams in the league that need to operate on a cycle, Hamilton is currently the model to follow.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Take a look at what Hamilton/Brantford has done over the past 5 years. Take a look at their draft cupboard (overflowing) while staying relevant and will be in contention again this year. That’s more on the scale of masterful than what BB has done.
Right they weren't as good as Windsor in 22-23 but they sold Morrison/Diaco/Hayes/White/Humphrey and got a haul of picks. This past year they improved and still moved Donovan/Van Vliet for more picks. Had the OHL ROY in O'Brien and return a lot this year. Also with losing their GM Nov 1st to the NHL.

Reactions: frontsfan67

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
I think they actually managed to win an OHL Championship too. For the 19 teams in the league that need to operate on a cycle, Hamilton is currently the model to follow.
Most know why the constant hyperbole lol. I'll be glad to go on record about it again if allowed.
Right they weren't as good as Windsor in 22-23 but they sold Morrison/Diaco/Hayes/White/Humphrey and got a haul of picks. This past year they improved and still moved Donovan/Van Vliet for more picks. Had the OHL ROY in O'Brien and return a lot this year. Also with losing their GM Nov 1st to the NHL.
Super duper, incredibly fantastic, unreal, genius ....... over the top, masterful lol.

Last edited:

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
and what did you think he would say? even if he was pissed off about it, do you think hed come out and say it?

honestly, like when was the last time a kid come out and said 'damn, i hate that i got traded here' on a public forum.
Well.... he waived his NTC. If he wasn't excited about the move, he could have chosen to stay in North Bay

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well.... he waived his NTC. If he wasn't excited about the move, he could have chosen to stay in North Bay

I don’t think Mathurin had a full NTC that comes with a gold education package. I believe NB allows all their players a sort of limited NTC in good faith.

Reactions: windsor7

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
missing the point.

I’m sure he is, it’s it about him, it’s about the poster assuming that anything posted on the team website is it or and actual true feelings.

I remember a kid who played that hated it in wk fair but his quotes were always so happy and smiley on the website. it’s a team website, they never put anything g other the perfect happy on it.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
If he was drafted hy the Wings, it’s an advantage to,play next door as far as I can eee. Hopefully he’ll get lots of quality minutes. I haven’t seen anywhere if he’s physical or not but you can expect that as a defensive D-man that will be part of his makeup.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
If he was drafted hy the Wings, it’s an advantage to,play next door as far as I can eee. Hopefully he’ll get lots of quality minutes. I haven’t seen anywhere if he’s physical or not but you can expect that as a defensive D-man that will be part of his makeup.
He was quoted in the paper that the Wings told him that they liked him but haven't seen him play enough hockey yet. You might be onto something. Although he is attending Chicago's main camp.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
It helps when the OHL’s ROY only wanted to play there.

Not saying they aren’t doing a great job there, but there is always reasons as to why that are outside the scope of “good management”

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Heres the point. Yes he waved his no trade clause, that MAY signify a want out of NB OR a want to come here. We dont know. Every player that gets moved does the PC thing, doing anything else is likely a career ender. Dont believe ANYTHING you read in the news. Its usually written by pr people not the athletes true feelings.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Heres the point. Yes he waved his no trade clause, that MAY signify a want out of NB OR a want to come here. We dont know. Every player that gets moved does the PC thing, doing anything else is likely a career ender. Dont believe ANYTHING you read in the news. Its usually written by pr people not the athletes true feelings.
Absolutely.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

With 7 D signed 2005-8 and 2 OA options at D, NB might not have been an option for Mathurin. NB cannot not roster 6 OAs and probably cannot even keep their best and/or preferred three since finding a team for the twins as a package could be challenging.
I have no doubt Windsor was a team of his choosing though.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Y'all are the only page on here who argue about these things I swear 😂. Got a good NHL drafted OA Dman & the last day has been a fight over if he's truly pumped to be there or not lmao.

Breathe guys. Only a couple more weeks & u can argue about stuff ON the ice 😂😂

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Y'all are the only page on here who argue about these things I swear 😂. Got a good NHL drafted OA Dman & the last day has been a fight over if he's truly pumped to be there or not lmao.

trust me, it’s not a fight about if he’s happy to be here, it’s a poster who tires to only find the absolute best news coverage and present it as factual. I’m sure the kid is happy to be here, but don’t use a quote on the team website to prove it lol. If he said ‘I hate it here’, they won’t be publishing that lol

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If you'd rather use the Windsor Star quote...

"... A lot goes into it and you have to see if (the move) matches up with your play. With Windsor, it didn't take long to decide I'm a very good fit. Talking to guys, everyone says what a good spot Windsor is to play and how we'll you're treated ... I think Windsor will do a lot for me and hopefully I'll be able to do a lot for them."

The kid seems happy to be here, to play that leadership role, to help turn the D around. Maybe he's the complete opposite but he's sure hiding it well.

For what it's worth - I don't remember the last time a new player said they were "pumped" to be coming here, especially on the team's page. Usually it's a generic "I look forward to joining the team" quote. Thus, it stood out as different.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I can't wait for camp. It's going to feel like a much different team and that's kind of needed right now.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

"... A lot goes into it and you have to see if (the move) matches up with your play. With Windsor, it didn't take long to decide I'm a very good fit. Talking to guys, everyone says what a good spot Windsor is to play and how we'll you're treated ... I think Windsor will do a lot for me and hopefully I'll be able to do a lot for them."

The kid seems happy to be here, to play that leadership role, to help turn the D around. Maybe he's the complete opposite but he's sure hiding it well.

For what it's worth - I don't remember the last time a new player said they were "pumped" to be coming here, especially on the team's page. Usually it's a generic "I look forward to joining the team" quote. Thus, it stood out as different.
Can't take the star seriously.
They have to print everything is rosey.
Only paper in town.
Lots of swamp land available.
Good price..

I can't wait for camp. It's going to feel like a much different team and that's kind of needed right now.
Heard u state that before.
Past years..

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

not really, but it’s at least independent. I do t doubt for a second he said that, I’m sure he means it, but I keep asking and you keep dodging, if he was not happy (and I’m not saying he is), he would never say he was. so what’s the point with all the quotes. I know a kid that was forced to go somewhere (pressured), cried when he left and hated the situation but in the news all he said was how great everything is. It’s hockey talk.

the star dropped the ball on the Greg Walters hiring, he lied a few times for sure but they never bothered to ask a follow up. they don’t really have an interest in hard news, it’s fine just don’t put a ton of value in it.

Reactions: Teflon and windsor7

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Ryan Kennedy Twitter - Had a great chat with Ethan Belchetz, the first overall pick to Windsor in the OHL draft, the other day. Story to come, but he told me one of his off-season goals was to get a bit leaner: He was 6-foot-4, 235 pounds at the start, now he's 222 pounds.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
but I keep asking and you keep dodging, if he was not happy (and I’m not saying he is), he would never say he was. so what’s the point with all the quotes.
I know a kid that was forced to go somewhere (pressured), cried when he left and hated the situation but in the news all he said was how great everything is. It’s hockey talk.

I'm not dodging anything. There was clearly some shock to his system but, once he stepped back to evaluate, he knew this was a chance to show something. Otherwise, he wouldn't have waived his NTC. I swear, I remember a player in the last couple of seasons who was told of a trade to Windsor but refused. Someone older... might have been from a Western Conf team, too? Anyway... I posted the quotes to show his reaction to being traded here. Whether people want to believe him or not is up to them.

I get that situations happen where a kid will say "I'm happy to be going to (team)", but inside is devastated. That's understandable. However, that doesn't mean every trade is like that. If you know that the Mathurin is not happy to be coming here and this is all a facade, please, tell us. Otherwise, I'm going by what he's said in the paper. That's what I have right now.
Ryan Kennedy Twitter - Had a great chat with Ethan Belchetz, the first overall pick to Windsor in the OHL draft, the other day. Story to come, but he told me one of his off-season goals was to get a bit leaner: He was 6-foot-4, 235 pounds at the start, now he's 222 pounds.

That's impressive and, from what I understand, his skating isn't an issue at all. Let's see how it translates into OHL games.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
not really, but it’s at least independent. I do t doubt for a second he said that, I’m sure he means it, but I keep asking and you keep dodging, if he was not happy (and I’m not saying he is), he would never say he was. so what’s the point with all the quotes. I know a kid that was forced to go somewhere (pressured), cried when he left and hated the situation but in the news all he said was how great everything is. It’s hockey talk.

the star dropped the ball on the Greg Walters hiring, he lied a few times for sure but they never bothered to ask a follow up. they don’t really have an interest in hard news, it’s fine just don’t put a ton of value in it.
Very little value In stars quotes.
Bad media

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Still hoping for another D man. Fingers crossed on the goalie front… on paper the team is better. Still lots to think about. How do the rookies mature and gel, goalies, coaching staff. These are true unknowns. Lots to clean up from last year, coaching staff is my biggest concern, no real D coach, and 2 coaches with a very questionable resume. Cautiously optimistic here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad