Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
About 4,000 for Flint, same as Plymouth. Saginaw is another possibility which is close to 5500. They supported the Memorial Cup.

It is only about money if they can sell tickets.
It all comes down to money. Period

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I see what you are saying, but my point is no matter how big the arenas are, you have to sell tickets.

If the tournament were held in Detroit, it would only be successful because Canadians would by tickets. Canadians would fill the LCA. Windsor seats 6500 and Grand Rapids seats about 12,000. People in Grand Rapids will not pay the high prices to see Germany play Czechia. They might pay to see the US play, but they will be at the LCA. You could put Germany-Czechia at 110,000 seat U-M stadium and you would only get the same 2000 to 3000 attendances. If that is all you are going to draw, a smaller arena is cheaper to rent. You have to know the market.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I see what you are saying, but my point is no matter how big the arenas are, you have to sell tickets.

If the tournament were held in Detroit, it would only be successful because Canadians would by tickets. Canadians would fill the LCA. Windsor seats 6500 and Grand Rapids seats about 12,000. People in Grand Rapids will not pay the high prices to see Germany play Czechia. They might pay to see the US play, but they will be at the LCA. You could put Germany-Czechia at 110,000 seat U-M stadium and you would only get the same 2000 to 3000 attendances. If that is all you are going to draw, a smaller arena is cheaper to rent. You have to know the market.
Would be quite expensive here to watch Germany play a game that means little in the standings..

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Would be quite expensive here to watch Germany play a game that means little in the standings..
Exactly, but Canadians have heard of the WJC, the Americans have not. I have lived in the US for my entire life (70 years) and 60 years in the Detroit area. Hockey knowledge in the US (especially Detroit) is limited to the NHL. The WJC is huge in Canada. There is a better chance to sell tickets to a meaningless in game in Windsor, than the US.

I thought about going to Ottawa this year, but the prices at the Senators rink are higher than I am willing to pay. The prices at the 67s arena are much lower, but I would want to see the US or Canada,

In Ottawa, the Semis and Final, as well as all of Canada's games will be near sell outs. At the second arena, they will be lucky to outdraw the 67s because of the prices.

We are on the same page, but having Windsor as the 2nd rink will outdraw any rink in the US, simply because Canadians are aware of the WJC.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Exactly, but Canadians have heard of the WJC, the Americans have not. I have lived in the US for my entire life (70 years) and 60 years in the Detroit area. Hockey knowledge in the US (especially Detroit) is limited to the NHL. The WJC is huge in Canada. There is a better chance to sell tickets to a meaningless in game in Windsor, than the US.

I thought about going to Ottawa this year, but the prices at the Senators rink are higher than I am willing to pay. The prices at the 67s arena are much lower, but I would want to see the US or Canada,

In Ottawa, the Semis and Final, as well as all of Canada's games will be near sell outs. At the second arena, they will be lucky to outdraw the 67s because of the prices.

We are on the same page, but having Windsor as the 2nd rink will outdraw any rink in the US, simply because Canadians are aware of the WJC.
Got to be better options then.
Hosting the useless games for very high prices is not a good option

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
For the WJC 2nd venue, I would say yes. For the WJC 1st venue - No.

First venue has to be 10k+ but I still think the second has to be 5,500+. It hasn't been below that since 2010 and I don't see it dropping now.

Hockey Canada won't drop the prices in Ottawa. That's a supply-and-demand thing and Canadians will (likely) fill that place even with sky-high prices. In Toronto/Montreal in 2017, the cheapest were $642 and those were likely in the high nosebleeds. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for the entire 2016 tournament in Helsinki but it was close to $600 Cdn... total... and almost every ticket included at least two games. Those were for second row, too.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
First venue has to be 10k+ but I still think the second has to be 5,500+. It hasn't been below that since 2010 and I don't see it dropping now.

Hockey Canada won't drop the prices in Ottawa. That's a supply-and-demand thing and Canadians will (likely) fill that place even with sky-high prices. In Toronto/Montreal in 2017, the cheapest were $642 and those were likely in the high nosebleeds. I don't remember exactly how much I paid for the entire 2016 tournament in Helsinki but it was close to $600 Cdn... total... and almost every ticket included at least two games. Those were for second row, too.
That was 7 years ago.
Out priced here now..

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Wait. I mean, I get it that it’s WJC and Toronto/Montreal but is that $642 a game? In 2017 dollars? I imagine that’s CDN but still….for $700 I ain’t goin unless it’s a Gold medal game with my country playing.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Wait. I mean, I get it that it’s WJC and Toronto/Montreal but is that $642 a game? In 2017 dollars? I imagine that’s CDN but still….for $700 I ain’t goin unless it’s a Gold medal game with my country playing.

I believe it was an entire tournament, but the point was that very top nosebleeds in Toronto/Montreal were going for a very similar price to second row in Helsinki. I remember being shocked at the price difference but realizing it was supply-and-demand.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I believe it was an entire tournament, but the point was that very top nosebleeds in Toronto/Montreal were going for a very similar price to second row in Helsinki. I remember being shocked at the price difference but realizing it was supply-and-demand.
It's all about money.
Shouldn't be shocked about the price.
Prices have skyrocket every year.
Out priced here.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
No way it was 650 for the entire tourney. It was more for Londons last Memorial Cup and I'd bet when Windsor hosted it was over 600 for all the games.

No way it was 650 for the entire tourney. It was more for Londons last Memorial Cup and I'd bet when Windsor hosted it was over 600 for all the games.
If wrong I'll own it.
But I do remember someone wanting a ticket early and agreeing to a price only to back out and whine to a common friend they wanted a better deal lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy