Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
They can always put a 3rd pick on 50 player roster n have them play jrB

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ok so. Im glad my guys still have a bit of info i was starting to worry lol! Insiders had some initial concern, will he be meidema 2.0… nothing suggests that. Concerns about his size? A lot of opinions are because he grew and played early it likely wont be a bad adjustment. The kid who grows 5” over a summer can cause issues. It will be important to get the right coaching not just for Belch but for others. Need a motivator, a guy that not only comes with a solid resume but a guy the players can respect. Yes Welly fits that ideal but im hearing hes still having health issues. If someone knows better please let us know. Yes this draft is very important but the coaching staff even more so!!
As for the extra pick, im thinking some flyers for sure. Draft rules im not fully up on, can you trade the picks to move up on draft day? That might be an idea if so, or hes going to stock the cupboard in Lasalle.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I think the picks only trade window is closed now.
Bowler said at the presser that he had until 2PM today to make any trades and obviously he made the one. It could be an important one as supposedly a number of players are trying to get to places they prefer. A couple have supposedly signed tenders in the USHL for instance. Moving up this afternoon might put us in position to get one of these players.

Reactions: HockeyPops

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Bowler speaking was really rough. Made a few mistakes, stumbled over himself. He did not sound like a very confident GM. In fact he sounded the opposite and embattled.

Grasping at straws mentioning the Soo again and tossing in Oshawa as quick turnarounds. I guess he doesn't realize those teams are loaded with talent. More like hoping and trying to convince the public but he doesn't come off as confident.

You don't have to be a great public speaker but he has to come off better than that.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It would be great if he was a perfect public speaker, especially in that line of work, but that's not always the case. He's like many of us; we trip over words, say the wrong words, etc. I'm not going to hold that against him, esp knowing I've done the same in ugly situations.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It would be great if he was a perfect public speaker, especially in that line of work, but that's not always the case. He's like many of us; we trip over words, say the wrong words, etc. I'm not going to hold that against him, esp knowing I've done the same in ugly situations.
He's been an executive in hockey at different levels for 10 years at various stops. Like I said he doesn't have to be an eloquent speaker but he should be better than this. He's pretty much a CEO of this club he makes the hires. This is what comes with the territory. It's not like this is the first time he has faced the media or questions.

Reactions: Teflon and windsor7

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Bowler speaking was really rough. Made a few mistakes, stumbled over himself. He did not sound like a very confident GM. In fact he sounded the opposite and embattled.

Grasping at straws mentioning the Soo again and tossing in Oshawa as quick turnarounds. I guess he doesn't realize those teams are loaded with talent. More like hoping and trying to convince the public but he doesn't come off as confident.

You don't have to be a great public speaker but he has to come off better than that.
I understand you don’t like Bowler but if he’s not a great public speaker it doesn’t mean he isn’t a good GM. IT was once said that Bobby Orr spoke like a post graduate Mortermer Snerd but that didn’t make him any less of a hockey player.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Very little that u hold them accountable...

Well now that we have trees up front we need to build up size on D.
Some that actually play their position n don't think they r forwards be improvement..

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I understand you don’t like Bowler but if he’s not a great public speaker it doesn’t mean he isn’t a good GM. IT was once said that Bobby Orr spoke like a post graduate Mortermer Snerd but that didn’t make him any less of a hockey player.
For sure but he's a representative of the organization. You rarely ever hear Savagex2 or Schwab speak so there's one other guy. He knew he was selecting him for the past week. He's the spokesperson for this organization whether we like it or not. There's quite a difference between not being great and unpolished.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
He's been an executive in hockey at different levels for 10 years at various stops. Like I said he doesn't have to be an eloquent speaker but he should be better than this. He's pretty much a CEO of this club he makes the hires. This is what comes with the territory. It's not like this is the first time he has faced the media or questions.

That wasn't my point, though. People stumble over words, even if they've been involved with the public for years. If he does something wrong and people want to jump on that, so be it, I'll be there going "wtf?" with everyone else. I'm not going after the way he delivers a speech, though. Not everyone is as eloquent as we'd all prefer them to be.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
That wasn't my point, though. People stumble over words, even if they've been involved with the public for years. If he does something wrong and people want to jump on that, so be it, I'll be there going "wtf?" with everyone else. I'm not going after the way he delivers a speech, though. Not everyone is as eloquent as we'd all prefer them to be.
Have the day you deserve. Bye bye.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Definitely not everyone...

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Just watched the media conference, Belchetz appears mature beyond his years and speaks well.

I watched some highlights and he is a better skater than I expected, no he doesn't skate like Oliver Peer or anything but for his size he is quick. He has a ton of skill, good hands and a canon of a shot. I see why some scouts refer to him as a unicorn player. He should be able to contribute immediately. The one issue with getting players like this is they could only be here for two years and in the show. One thing people will like is his 'compete' was ranked 9/10. So he is a hard worker. They should try him at center, his skating will only improve.

With the 22 and 24 picks, you can get some really good players. There is always a few players that go later than projected.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
I wonder if one of the flyers will be Callum Croskery. USHL committed but appears to be close friends with Belchetz, might be able to convince him on Windsor now.
Do you really think he’ll last until the 3rd round?

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Anyone for tenders? Could be a wild evening at the OHL DRAFT TONIGHT .This was posted on Twitter this AM….
1712925163613.png

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
There is a proposal to allow 20 yr old CHL players to play in the NCAA after they graduate from the CHL or CHL released players who only played a FEW games. Insiders say it is 18 months away and has not been approved yet but expected to be implemented. NCAA coaches are pushing for it. That will shake up the flyers down the road.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
There is a proposal to allow 20 yr old CHL players to play in the NCAA after they graduate from the CHL or CHL released players who only played a FEW games. Insiders say it is 18 months away and has not been approved yet but expected to be implemented. NCAA coaches are pushing for it. That will shake up the flyers down the road.
It’s a win-all situation. Love it.

Reactions: Cherrydon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad