Value of: William Nylander

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There is zero reason for thr Leafs to trade a bluechip centre prospect like Nylander.

Teams who made similar moves only did so due to locker room issues (Seguin)nor not getting along with their coach (RyJo) and in both instances the team trading the centre got he lesser asset in return.

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
I think Willie N gets traded. A few years ago he was the big hype - the Leafs best prospect in years. Now Marner and Matthews have overshadowed him...I think Nylander is upset that he is now a "complimentary" piece and no longer the top dog. People have questioned his work ethic in the past...don't forget...

I have no insight on how Nylander feels but you may be right about him being traded.

Leafs would either have to trade him now with him still being on his ELC AND being expansion draft exempt or boost him up even more if he is to eventually be traded.

It seems the Leafs did the same thing the Oilers did a few drafts ago; go on the hunt for "coke machines" (Lowetide)

I think Leaf brass might see they have the skill now but need the size to get the right mix. Finding big talent that can play with skilled talent is harder than one might think. Oilers have been on the hunt for years but it seems that is something Chiarelli is good at finding.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think Willie N gets traded. A few years ago he was the big hype - the Leafs best prospect in years. Now Marner and Matthews have overshadowed him...I think Nylander is upset that he is now a "complimentary" piece and no longer the top dog. People have questioned his work ethic in the past...don't forget...

Nobody who has a quality opinion has ever seriously questioned his work ethic.

He had a mild reprimand from his AHL coach during the past playoffs, but that's hardly indicative of a persistent pattern.

He's absolutely not a "complimentary piece", he's one of the big three prospects for the Leafs who is slated for a full time jump to the NHL come the fall.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I have no insight on how Nylander feels but you may be right about him being traded.

Leafs would either have to trade him now with him still being on his ELC AND being expansion draft exempt or boost him up even more if he is to eventually be traded.

It seems the Leafs did the same thing the Oilers did a few drafts ago; go on the hunt for "coke machines" (Lowetide)

I think Leaf brass might see they have the skill now but need the size to get the right mix. Finding big talent that can play with skilled talent is harder than one might think. Oilers have been on the hunt for years but it seems that is something Chiarelli is good at finding.

Brian Burke is that you?

I agree we'll need to ship off some skill for size when the time comes, but at the time we'll know what we have in those skilled players as they will be developed.

Zero chance we're going to ship off Nylander before we know exactly what we have in him, especially only for size. That'd be such a Leafy thing to do... Nylander developing into a star forward while we have some oaf who only has size.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

What did he do that made you think he is upset?

Did he yell at you, or sulk or something?

I've never met the young man, so I wouldn't have a clue as to what he's thinking. What's your source of knowledge?

You aren't just imagining this, or making it up, are you?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Quick!

Trade all the prospects not named "Matthews" for more draft picks that we can trade away as soon as they're picked!

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
Brian Burke is that you?

I agree we'll need to ship off some skill for size when the time comes, but at the time we'll know what we have in those skilled players as they will be developed.

Zero chance we're going to ship off Nylander before we know exactly what we have in him, especially only for size. That'd be such a Leafy thing to do... Nylander developing into a star forward while we have some oaf who only has size.

It wouldn't be like that.

The earliest the Leafs would trade him would be before the expansion draft and it would either for a defenceman or a big SKILLED winger to play with Matthews and Marner. A rough example would be Crouse + something (depending on how both develop next season).

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Teams in the Leafs position do not trade high quality prospects without giving them a shot. Yes, the Leafs need D, they need help everywhere.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Teams in the Leafs position do not trade high quality prospects without giving them a shot. Yes, the Leafs need D, they need help everywhere.

Exactly. Someone could develop into a sure fire top D man in the league from our prospects and any number of our bluechip prospects could sputter.

It's almost as if some Leaf fans think that every player we draft will be exactly as they promised to be at the draft.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
you wouldn't trade him for Trouba? I would.

You'd trade the player that went ppg over his last 12 games in his first cup of coffee in the NHL who just turned 20? Trouba is a very nice piece who fills a long term need, but you have to see what Nylander becomes before you trade a prospect/player of his calibre. We'd also have a void to fill at C immediately following the trade.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It wouldn't be like that.

The earliest the Leafs would trade him would be before the expansion draft and it would either for a defenceman or a big SKILLED winger to play with Matthews and Marner. A rough example would be Crouse + something (depending on how both develop next season).

I'm not following the logic that the Leafs should trade their skilled centre prospect for a bigger winger with less skill..... there's no reason for the Leafs to do this.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I could see Matthews - Nylander being a datsyuk - Zetterberg for Toronto one day given their skill levels. You shouldn't trade them. Toronto likely finishes bottom 6-7 next year at which point you can shoot for a top D prospect.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Leafs Nation would go berserk if management reverted to trading young talent before it matured. It would re-open old wounds and cause Leafs fans to jump off tall bridges.

Trading Matthews/Marner/Nylander before they've even had a decent shot at the bigs just can't be done. It's against the law in Leafs Nation.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

he was hyped a few years ago yes....but yeah he did go out and put up a 1.18ppg in the AHL as a junior aged player..which is beyond ridiculous. TSN has him as the #1NHL prospect before the draft so there is that. leafs dont move a top 10 prospect and potential top line player for anything less than an equally young franchise potential dman. (provorov, juolevi, hanifin etc) you get the idea.

Willie won't be moved for the right to pay trouba 6.5 million a year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad