Confirmed with Link: Will Smith signs ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Hell yeah. Logan used to get extra fired up playing in Canada in those early years to seemingly shove it down the analysts throats.

Haha yeah, but I was also thinking about East Coast trips when Couture lost ROY to Jeff Skinner. Never forget lol.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It was definitely messed up to ask questions about Celebrini. I also think the whole situation may put a chip on his shoulder, and it will probably benefit him. I always felt like Couture played with a chip on his shoulder in his first few years in the league, and it seems to help him raise his game.
Couture consistently outplaying Eberle and Hall every time we played Edmonton was a fun sub-plot in the early 2010’s. :)

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
"Definitely the smell"
34ef8ee2-5d50-4577-a283-e9266b7ef5de_text.gif

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Petrecki wasn’t what we thought he’d be but there weren’t many better players looking back. Thankfully we moved up and drafted Logan.
The story about that draft is fascinating.

The Sharks entered without a first-round pick but soon managed to snag one from Toronto in exchange for Vesa Toskala. At the time, DW wanted the Sharks to draft a defenseman at #13...he saw it as the biggest hole in their lineup and wanted to take a big risk on a high-ceiling prospect. However, the scouting staff loved Couture; they had him #2 behind Kane. While there's no confirmation that this is what happened, I'm guessing once Couture came into range, the scouting staff pressed DW to move up and snag their preferred pick. But, then you still had DW's desire to get a defenseman with a high ceiling. Enter the second first-rounder, and the Sharks drafting Nick Petrecki.

The Petrecki pick is interesting because it points to how NHL teams draft...and how smart and dumb scouting staff can be. Burke wasn't a big believer in the pick...he just thought Petrecki had the highest ceiling. We now know that TJ Galiardi, Nick Spaling, and Yannick Weber were very high on his draft board...maybe without DW's mandate that's how they draft. That might seem fairly prescient until you realize that PK Subban wasn't even on their radar!

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
The story about that draft is fascinating.

The Sharks entered without a first-round pick but soon managed to snag one from Toronto in exchange for Vesa Toskala. At the time, DW wanted the Sharks to draft a defenseman at #13...he saw it as the biggest hole in their lineup and wanted to take a big risk on a high-ceiling prospect. However, the scouting staff loved Couture; they had him #2 behind Kane. While there's no confirmation that this is what happened, I'm guessing once Couture came into range, the scouting staff pressed DW to move up and snag their preferred pick. But, then you still had DW's desire to get a defenseman with a high ceiling. Enter the second first-rounder, and the Sharks drafting Nick Petrecki.

The Petrecki pick is interesting because it points to how NHL teams draft...and how smart and dumb scouting staff can be. Burke wasn't a big believer in the pick...he just thought Petrecki had the highest ceiling. We now know that TJ Galiardi, Nick Spaling, and Yannick Weber were very high on his draft board...maybe without DW's mandate that's how they draft. That might seem fairly prescient until you realize that PK Subban wasn't even on their radar!
Good stuff

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I'm honestly getting more hyped about Smith as time goes on. He seems like the perfect compliment to Macklin. Seems like he has elite drive and elite skills.

I dunno he hasn't convinced me that he has a lot of drive, let alone elite drive. Skill yes, he gets by a lot off his skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad