Confirmed with Link: Will Smith signs ELC

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Is anyone saying the next league for Smith is the AHL? Literally, no one, from management, the media, or this thread are saying that. At the same time none of the org, his representation, or Smith himself are suggesting he’s guaranteed NHL ice all season.

Grier has made it clear he thinks Smith is ready and it’s not like The roster is chock full of high-talent forwards. The opportunity is being provided and Smith will have to earn his spot. I have no doubt that he’ll seize the opportunity; frankly for Smith this all probably a moot point and he’ll likely have an excellent first season that starts a little slow as he adapts, has a strong middle as he acclimatizes to NHL tempo, and tapers off towards the end as the grind of the much longer season wears on.

I also thought Sheng and Smith’s agent made a cogent point that the perception of college prospects holding all the leverage is greatly overblown by fans based off a small handful of cases. It isn’t the norm that college players are holding out on teams; it’s the rare exception.
You don't need to go through with an arbitration hearing to use the leverage of arbitration eligibility to get a better contract. We see this literally every year. In the same way, the mere fact that college players have the option to go UFA at 21/22 years old is enough to give them the upper hand in negotiations especially when they're an elite player like Smith.

Stop taking things Grier or player agents say to the media at face value. Their job is to advance the interests of themselves/their team/their client, not to be 100% transparent with fans.

Reactions: Patty Ice

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I think there was a guarantee in the sense that the Sharks weren't going to play Eklund-like shenanigans with Smith...if he could play in the NHL, that's where they want him.

Even putting aside the euro vs college transfer rules, I’m not sure the situations are all that similar. Their D+1 years could not be more different.

Eklund, for as much runway this board gave him, had about as underwhelming D+1 as you could have. After a short stint in the NHL where by counting stats he looked okay, he was clearly physically overwhelmed, and when sent back to Europe he proceeded to get injured (not his fault) and put up very uninspiring numbers. His next season he looked a bit better at the NHL level, but clearly still not ready. In the AHL he put together a solid, but not a terribly forceful, case that he should to be in the NHL.

Smith’s D+1 season is one of the best offensive performances in college hockey since Eichel. He’s used to playing on small ice, and is a bit more physically developed than Eklund was at the same point.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Is anyone saying the next league for Smith is the AHL? Literally, no one, from management, the media, or this thread are saying that. At the same time none of the org, his representation, or Smith himself are suggesting he’s guaranteed NHL ice all season.

Grier has made it clear he thinks Smith is ready and it’s not like The roster is chock full of high-talent forwards. The opportunity is being provided and Smith will have to earn his spot. I have no doubt that he’ll seize the opportunity; frankly for Smith this all probably a moot point and he’ll likely have an excellent first season that starts a little slow as he adapts, has a strong middle as he acclimatizes to NHL tempo, and tapers off towards the end as the grind of the much longer season wears on.

I also thought Sheng and Smith’s agent made a cogent point that the perception of college prospects holding all the leverage is greatly overblown by fans based off a small handful of cases. It isn’t the norm that college players are holding out on teams; it’s the rare exception.
It was literally what started this whole Smith is playing in the NHL not AHL conversation was someone saying welcome to the San Jose Barracuda as there is no way that grier is playing 2 teenagers the entire season in the NHL.

So yes someone is saying it.

And the fact that you state the team is stock full of high end talent and he will have to fight for a spot shows you have no idea what the Sharks actually look like today. Smith and Celebrini (if or when he gets drafted and signed) will be the 2 top skilled forwards on the team next season.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
You don't need to go through with an arbitration hearing to use the leverage of arbitration eligibility to get a better contract. We see this literally every year. In the same way, the mere fact that college players have the option to go UFA at 21/22 years old is enough to give them the upper hand in negotiations especially when they're an elite player like Smith.

Stop taking things Grier or player agents say to the media at face value. Their job is to advance the interests of themselves/their team/their client, not to be 100% transparent with fans.

Wait, what? GM’s and player reps don’t always disclose every detail of what transpires? You’re blowing my mind here.

Why are you so hung up that there must have been a guarantee of a roster spot for Smith? Does he not have his own ability to judge the situation and risks? Does he not posses enough confidence in himself and his game, to look at the Sharks situation and roster, and think “I can make that team”?

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
It was literally what started this whole Smith is playing in the NHL not AHL conversation was someone saying welcome to the San Jose Barracuda as there is no way that grier is playing 2 teenagers the entire season in the NHL.

So yes someone is saying it.

I’m sorry I missed that part. Well, whomever said that I disagree with them. Please allow me to rephrase:

Barring some dumbass in this thread, is anyone saying the next league for Smith is the AHL? Literally, no one, from management, the media, or any intelligent people in this thread are saying that.

I fully endorse this statement.

And the fact that you state the team is stock full of high end talent and he will have to fight for a spot…

Where did I say the team is stock full of high-end talent? I said “…and it’s not like The roster is chock full of high-talent forwards”.

I also said he’ll have to earn his spot on the roster; not that he will have to fight for it. To expound, because it seems like my perspective isn’t clear to you, when I say earn I mean that he’ll have to show he is better than the other options the future coach can deploy when also factoring in the benefits of giving Smith NHL reps now to foster his development. I fully anticipate he’ll do that, and considering the roster he’ll likely be joining I don’t think he’ll find securing a spot all that much of a fight; and the question is not if he’ll be at the NHL level, but how well he can do at the NHL level.

shows you have no idea what the Sharks actually look like today. Smith and Celebrini (if or when he gets drafted and signed) will be the 2 top skilled forwards on the team next season.

Well, f*** you too buddy :laugh: maybe you should read good. I’d not claim to be any expert, but I feel like I have a pretty reasonable grasp of where the roster is at and where Celebrini and Smith fit (hint, I don’t feel all that differently than you… you jerk)

Last edited:

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
0.0% chance Smith and/or Celebrini plays a single game for the Barracuda next season. Doing so would be foolish.

Reactions: DG93

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Don't want to wade into this week's pedantic shit fight, but FWIW Grier has so far proven himself to be a very plain speaker. When he doesn't want the public to know what he thinks, he says nothing, but everything he does choose to say seems to be direct and something you can take at face value.

Agents are a whole nother ball game but I really don't see why we have to argue about whether or not Smith was guaranteed a roster spot. The team made the case to him that he should sign an ELC, and he ended up agreeing.That should be enough for everyone here to move on, without having to call people stupid if they don't think there's a guarantee behind the scenes.

Nth Turtle Reborn

Mar 15, 2019
I guess being mired in the habits of misery can't be shaken off with a mere 1st overall pick result & promising previous pick giving us the good news he's coming to join, eschewing his college pals...

Fwiw I feel like we should all be holding hands with Alaska Nice & doing some mad tribal jig around a beach campfire while, at the worst, possibly lamenting poor Pavs most recent cup aspiration miss with a pouring of beer on the fire.

Our need to eviscerate every conversation into a confrontation should be getting tiresome, no? So one guy makes a flippant Barracuda remark, all the knives come out & suddenly the pedant heckles rise & we're squabbling like GMMG has given Pickles an extension!

We all have other shit going on but sometimes before hitting 'reply' with your dander up, breathe, recognise life is good (Sharks wise) & we all are getting a headstart on being watchable again thanks to collectively enduring the suck & getting some long overdue good fortune & news.

Let the animosity go, you'll feel better for it, this coming from someone for whom angry was a default setting.

This public service forum announcement was brought to you by the good people of gi it a rest already, the Charity that has your best interests at heart...

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I guess being mired in the habits of misery can't be shaken off with a mere 1st overall pick result & promising previous pick giving us the good news he's coming to join, eschewing his college pals...

Fwiw I feel like we should all be holding hands with Alaska Nice & doing some mad tribal jig around a beach campfire while, at the worst, possibly lamenting poor Pavs most recent cup aspiration miss with a pouring of beer on the fire.

Our need to eviscerate every conversation into a confrontation should be getting tiresome, no? So one guy makes a flippant Barracuda remark, all the knives come out & suddenly the pedant heckles rise & we're squabbling like GMMG has given Pickles an extension!

We all have other shit going on but sometimes before hitting 'reply' with your dander up, breathe, recognise life is good (Sharks wise) & we all are getting a headstart on being watchable again thanks to collectively enduring the suck & getting some long overdue good fortune & news.

Let the animosity go, you'll feel better for it, this coming from someone for whom angry was a default setting.

This public service forum announcement was brought to you by the good people of gi it a rest already, the Charity that has your best interests at heart...
I just read this and need to clarify something again, it’s “Alaskan Ice” though I do understand the confusion.
For the uninitiated, Alaska is quite nice. The other point, I don’t jig. Near a beachside fire or anyplace else. Natch.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I just read this and need to clarify something again, it’s “Alaskan Ice” though I do understand the confusion.
For the uninitiated, Alaska is quite nice. The other point, I don’t jig. Near a beachside fire or anyplace else. Natch.
You do seem nice though.

FWIW, the "fights" on this board are nothing compared to other team web forums I've been on. You folks should spend more time in Warrior fan groups. This place is actually pretty nice all things considered.

star-wars-you-will-never-find-a-more-wretched-hive-of-scum.gif

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
You do seem nice though.

FWIW, the "fights" on this board are nothing compared to other team web forums I've been on. You folks should spend more time in Warrior fan groups. This place is actually pretty nice all things considered.

star-wars-you-will-never-find-a-more-wretched-hive-of-scum.gif
It's not dazefan arguing what the GWG is...

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
That's funny that some people thought it was Alaska nice...I'm glad I kind of just always assumed it was Alaskan Ice lol. Also out of curiosity, why haven't you adjusted your username to reflect that?

Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad