Will Mitch Marner become star?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is Marner going to be a star

• Yes

• No

• Already is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Different teams provide different opportunities.

A 30th. place team obviously can give an easier path for some players to get playing time over a playoffs team.

You'd have to think most teams are happy with their 2015 draft picks in the top 10, outside of maybe Arizona.

Marner didn't make his NHL debut in his draft year, some might have thought that was a negative considering how bad the Leafs were, but taking an extra year didn't hurt him, and taking 2 extra years won't hurt other players.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
Babcock either puts Matthews against the opposition best line or Kadri line defensively against them, and looks for mismatches with the Bozak line.

ATOI/g confirms Mitch, Bozak and JVR are 7th, 8th 9th/10th in ice time thus making the Leafs 3rd line. Marner gets 15:37 ATOI / season where all players on Matthews and Kadri lines get more icetime than Mitch.

Even in Marner's recent 4 point game he only got 13:15 ice time, because Babcock shelters the Bozak 3rd line.
Marner was 3rd in even strength ice time last year and 6th this year .

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner shut everyone up last year and it won't be any different this year. The credibility lacking posts are awesome, really like seeing them.

Its like, well I can't let anyone try appreciating Marner because of my agenda or whatever sooo.... better find someone playing really well to compare him to. When that compatable has a good game then woooohooo I'm going to try rubbing it in.

Desperate credability problems when you need to do that. Barzal is playing awesome. I hope he keeps it going.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marner shut everyone up last year and it won't be any different this year. The credibility lacking posts are awesome, really like seeing them.

Its like, well I can't let anyone try appreciating Marner because of my agenda or whatever sooo.... better fine someone playing really well to compare him to. When that compatable has a good game then woooohooo I'm foing to try rubbing it in.

Pathetic credability problems when you need to do that. Barzal is playing awesome. I hope he keeps it going.
Marner had this kind of production at a lower age. Its pretty clear Marner is the better player.
With that being said, Barzal isnt better and thats fine. Islanders have a good young player regardless. All though expect Barzal to regress a little.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That remains to be seen. I’m not even sure he plays centre though. Marner plays with our (second) best goal scorer.
Good point. I dont hate the guy. Barzal is a tremendous young talent. However I dont think Barzal is better then Marner though. Marner scored 61 points as a rookie last season at a younger age.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Some of you don't seem to understand HF logic. It's impossible for two players in a comparison to both be good. One must be bad and the other one must be good. Those are the rules around here.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
WHY don’t people make a poll and take it to the main board. Marner is a leaf. Barzal probably wishes he was a leaf.

Let’s just talk about marner

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
WHY don’t people make a poll and take it to the main board. Marner is a leaf. Barzal probably wishes he was a leaf.

Let’s just talk about marner
its just that icky guy that keeps trying to trash Brazal and pump Marner for some childish reason? lol Its pretty clear he hasn't even seen Brazal play and claiming he is nothing more than a PP guy. smh

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Marner's playing so well lately that NHL.com counts him as two players.

Attachments

• DoubleMitch.png
    DoubleMitch.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 18

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
If Bozak was capable of depositing the puck into a wide open net from six inches out, it would have been another two points for Marner tonight.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If Bozak was capable of depositing the puck into a wide open net from six inches out, it would have been another two points for Marner tonight.

Ah, that was a bad break. Clearly hit Shattenkirk's stick.

I don't get how Mitch could look so bad, and now so good. Its great, but I do worry about players whose High and Low have such a variance (see Jake Gardiner for reference). It could well be an age/experience thing, and I guess time will tell. Either way, the Mitch we have seen this last week is what I hope we get to see going forward. He's been absolutely stellar with the puck.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wonder what the future holds for Marner if his current linemates leave via UFA?

Who will he play with next year if that is the case if Babcock sticks with his current top 2 lines?.

Hyman -- Matthews -- Nylander
&
Marleau -- Kadri -- Brown (to replace Komarov) on checking line.

Can't see Babcock using Mitch with Kadri as a checking line as coach using him to drive his own line.

XXXXX ----- XXXXX ---- Marner

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

Who will he play with next year if that is the case if Babcock sticks with his current top 2 lines?.

&

Can't see Babcock using Mitch with Kadri as a checking line as coach using him to drive his own line.

Easy, slide Nylander to the middle to play with Kapanen and Grundstrom, move Mitch on to Matthews line.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
^

Kapanen/Leivo - Tavares - Marner

:naughty:

Its one of the reasons I would be all over JT if he hit the market as a UFA.. Not sure how realistic that might be but Marner with Tavares would like what is happen with NYI and Josh Bailey.

If Nylander remains pinned to Matthews wing then who is Marner's centre going forward (as JT is more a wish than realistic)?

If the plan is to move Nylander to the middle to centre the 3rd line and Marner plays there then who plays on the top line with Matthews at RW as Babcock doesn't seem to like Mitch there?

Marner's future success will really depend on who his future linemates are to help determine how things will play out for him. IMO

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Its one of the reasons I would be all over JT if he hit the market as a UFA.. Not sure how realistic that might be but Marner with Tavares would like what is happen with NYI and Josh Bailey.

If Nylander remains pinned to Matthews wing then who is Marner's centre going forward (as JT is more a wish than realistic)?

If the plan is to move Nylander to the middle to centre the 3rd line and Marner plays there then who plays on the top line with Matthews at RW as Babcock doesn't seem to like Mitch there?

Marner's future success will really depend on who his future linemates are to help determine how things will play out for him. IMO

I agree although I doubt management and Babcock will want to pin Marner on more of a checking line. They'll look put more offensive minded players with him in the long run. He's the catalyst and all they need to do is find players that can keep up and have some chemistry with him while having some ability to finish.

Tavares might be the perfect fit. Potential cap concerns asides, rolling Matthews-Nylander out and then Tavares-Marner with Kadri's line slotting behind would be a matchup nightmare for coaches.

While I like Nylander at centre in the long run it's entirely possible that he may not move over full time for another couple of seasons. We all pencil him in as Bozak's replacement but he actually could replace Kadri in a few seasons once his contract is up.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

&

Kapanen $$$$$ Marner????

Kapanen for me is a important add on Marners line.
Firstly i think kapanen is going to be a scorer in the Nhl.
Secondly, he is a really good defensive player also and Marner can be also with the right linemates. Plus they could be dangerous shorthanded.
Kadri could be their center because he is likely losing his checking winger in Komarov. So thats two lines broken up by free agency.

Seems more of a question for after the trade deadline.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If this organization can't convert Marner or Nylander into a legit and viable C, that will be a full stop failure of this organization. Our whole future hinges on Marner or Nylander becoming the #2 elite C. Nothing we have in the pipe offers what we need to compete once Kadri and Bozak are done.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Easy, slide Nylander to the middle to play with Kapanen and Grundstrom, move Mitch on to Matthews line.

The chemistry willy has with Matthews works for me actually, keep Hyman there to do all the trench work and forchecking he is really good at.

Might as well call that a line because Babcock ain't changing Hyman out.

But as of today: the three amigos are 123 in team scoring!

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If this organization can't convert Marner or Nylander into a legit and viable C, that will be a full stop failure of this organization. Our whole future hinges on Marner or Nylander becoming the #2 elite C. Nothing we have in the pipe offers what we need to compete once Kadri and Bozak are done.

you getting a little carried away there lol,

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

You drama very well, but it is not true.
Cap space and asset management and draft and development will always be the key to sustained competitiveness.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
you getting a little carried away there lol,

We need that 2C to be around Malkin level and only Marner and Nylander are in a place where they can even recognize his name patch. We have terrible C depth if neither pan out. We would be reliant on a home run draft or FA we will have a tough time affording. Take your poison, this the reality. Kadri is getting older and will be the 3C for a little while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad