Player Discussion Will Cuylle

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
As far as raw talent, Kakko has far more. No question on that. However, in the many years that Kakko has been here, how many times has he scored a goal the way Cuylle did on the offsides goal? Zero. Kakko lacks everything Cuylle has as far as the attack dog mentality. Yes, Kakko is definitely better in those areas, but the kid lacks finish. Cuylle has a level of finish, or finish attitude, that Kakko just seems to have lost at some point. Cuylle just seems to make the most of what he has vs Kakko just seeming to fall way short of what he has. Cuylle is a middle six forward. Never going to be a 1st line guy and can definitely be a 2nd with the right line mates in the perfect situation. Great 3rd liner. Kakko should never be worse than a solid 2nd liner with the tools he has. He just doesn't attack in the way he should. He should be a monster coming off the wall and attacking the net and he seems like he is content to be a Craig Janney style playmaker.
Oddly enough, Kakko IS attacking this year. Which is why I think it will be easily a better year stats wise for him than two years ago when he had 40 pts. No finish? He had 18 EV goals as a 21 year old…
Love both players. Love them on the line together with Fil. I’ve wanted to see this combo since the start of last year. I just think saying that Kakko WISHES he was the player Will is is kinda nuts.
Listen, if Cuylle ends up having an even better year than Kakko has this year that will be a huge plus. I’m not looking to pit one against the other. I just don't think Cuylle is as good an NHLer as Kakko, and Kakko was ahead of him at his age as well. Despite not living up to his draft position. Right now that 50-72-24 line is line 2. So IMO they are both 2nd line wingers. At least for now. Guess we will see if they can maintain. I think they can. A lot will depend on Fil staying healthy.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Cuylle and Kakko COMPLIMENT eachother. It shouldn't be a one or the other, it's both. Cuylle has the straight line speed and strength to get in on the forecheck but Kakko has the puck protection and strength to win the puck and make a play with it. Chytil being the puck transporter just works on that line too.
Yup. Their strengths and skill sets compliment each other. All three of them. I’m thrilled this has become a line this year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Cuylle needs a miracle to become a top6 player lol.
I don't understand this line of thinking. What is it about Cuylle that suggests to you, or anyone else, that he can't be a top 6 player?

Is it because he's more of a grinder than a dangler? Maybe he won't be the type of player who drives a line, but why can't he be a guy who compliments other good players? Why can't he be a 30/60 guy, or better?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't understand this line of thinking. What is it about Cuylle that suggests to you, or anyone else, that he can't be a top 6 player?

Is it because he's more of a grinder than a dangler? Maybe he won't be the type of player who drives a line, but why can't he be a guy who compliments other good players? Why can't he be a 30/60 guy, or better?

He very easily could be that type of guy. His production in Hartford, as a rookie, suggests that he could be that 2nd/3rd line power forward winger. I really hate line numbering anyways. For all intents and purposes that Chytil line is the 2nd line on this team right now at 5v5

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

Honestly he’s a top 6 player on this team right now. 50-72-24 is line 2 IMO. We’ll see if that can be maintained, but he’s got enough upside.

Reactions: NYR Viper

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
LOL at the Cuylle and KK arguments. I have no idea which has a higher ceiling. I could see people say Will has the size and better speed. I can also see people say KK has shown good defense and a 20/40 season. They both flash good stuff but neither has put it all together (yet). It would be really cool if we could get 60-75 goals this season from that 3rd line though. :)

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Kid is legit. I don’t understand the no top 6 upside? He does everything well, maybe nothing elite, but he can skate really well, especially for a 6’3” 210+ 22yo. He has a real good shot, plays 200’ and hits everything. Put up 50 pts in 87 AHL games including the Covid no OHL year when he was only 19. He’s been a point producer at every level he’s played. He’s dripping with top 6 potential IMHO. He’s 22yo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad