First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Kempe Kopi Vilardi(better)
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Iaffalo Byfield Fiala
Grundstrom Lizotte Kaliyev
Kupari

Fagemo and many other prospects waiting for chances.

I just have a hard time seeing where turcotte fits in. Is his earliest opportunity 24-25 in a fourth line spot? Most of those guys will still be signed one more year after this one right?

I guess Lemieux, Lizotte, or Grundstrom would be the opportune spots barring any trades but other prospects will be competing too. Chromiak, Lafferiere, etc.

Feels like his window is very small and closing.

Also guys like JAD, Madden, & Thomas, will be competing with Turc at this point.

Just not sure he will make the Kings.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Depends on how good he is when he gets back and how quickly he develops. It is probably why Rosen believes Turcotte is likely trade bait, but who knows... Hopefully he develops into that one-two punch of Byfield-Turcotte down the middle with Vilardi on the wing... Too early to tell, but probably unlikely now...

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Iaffalo Byfield Fiala
Kupari

I just have a hard time seeing where turcotte fits in. Is his earliest opportunity 24-25 in a fourth line spot? Most of those guys will still be signed one more year after this one right?

I guess Lemieux, Lizotte, or Grundstrom would be the opportune spots barring any trades but other prospects will be competing too. Chromiak, Lafferiere, etc.

Also guys like JAD, Madden, & Thomas, will be competing with Turc at this point.

f*** yah…Turcotte will be special.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Depends on how good he is when he gets back and how quickly he develops. It is probably why Rosen believes Turcotte is likely trade bait, but who knows... Hopefully he develops into that one-two punch of Byfield-Turcotte down the middle with Vilardi on the wing... Too early to tell, but probably unlikely now...
Having seen Rosen’s piece. Do you have a link by chance?

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
like gabe i dont expct them to invest this much in him just to not see what he has to offer
I just don’t see it happening unless his game takes off and he can’t be denied. He’s small and injury proned. Maybe he hangs around until Kopi goes but meanwhile the next wave of prospects come filing into the system. With Byfield down is Turcotte playing third line center in the AHL? Is his future also on the wing? I’m hoping he can put it all together and stay healthy but this season could also just be a readjust season for him. I never gave up on Gabe but I don’t have the same spideysense for Turcotte.

Last edited:
Reactions: lumbergh

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Having seen Rosen’s piece. Do you have a link by chance?
It was a Reddit AMA, when asked about Turcotte's future with the team he responded:

I think there's a decent chance he doesn't factor in their future at all. He's been included in several trade discussions, and if they go after a bigger name via trade, he'll again be among the players they'd part with. I hope it works out for him and the team, because nobody deserves to go through the type of injury he suffered last spring, but he's still got a ways to go before his play has full organizational support.

Reactions: lumbergh

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Moore Danault Arvidsson
Iaffalo Byfield Fiala
Kupari

I think of Turcotte as future Iafallo, kinda like Fagemo is future Arvidsson. Unfortunately for him, Iafallo is signed for two more years after this one. If Turcotte comes back and puts together a good season in ONT, he reinserts himself as one of the first prospects to be called up Along side Fagemo. Turcotte needs to play well and be patient given the forward depth on the team.

I don’t see a long term future for Madden or JAD on the Kings. At this point all of the prospects you mentioned are trade bait, with Turcotte having the most value due to his draft position. that’s probably the reason why he is being included in trade talks.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I'm not sure what the rush is with Turcotte and figuring his roster spot. He literally just came back for one game. He has a long ways to go to prove he can play 50+ games a year. This season it's basically just getting into games and staying healthy. Any development is secondary almost to simply proving he is has a hockey career.

Next season, assuming all is well health wise, is where you will see if he can regain his high status and contend for a roster spot. I envision next season him bouncing back & forth. Then the 2024-2025 season is when he is a FT player. If somehow he exceeds expectations and gets back to elite prospect status over the next 12 months, then great -- he can be like AK34 last year.

Regardless, there will be spots next year and the year after. Even in the top 9. Moore is a FA after this seaosn and imo is not being signed unless we trade away one of more of Arvi/AI. Even if Moore is resigned and Arvi/AI stay, those guys will be gone in 1-2 season. So Turc can be a 4th liner building his way into a top 9 role once those guys are gone. Kopi has only 2 years left too right? Not to mention other potential trades made. Long ways to go over the next 12-24 months. Turc has plenty of time. This topic seems like 9-12 months too early.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
There will always be the option of creating roster spots when a player forces the decision. It’s a case of making a trade or not re-signing a veteran player. Simple but not necessarily easy decisions to make (people often confuse the 2 things). Blake will have no choice but to make decisions soon… letting a guy to UFA or risking losing them to waivers can be a decision also (Even if we don’t like it).

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
It always is around here. Remember, Kempe and Vilardi were busts....and Byfield will be too if he doesn't hit 35+ points this year at the NHL level.
The thing is that there are a load of prospects that get deeper each year. Waivers come into play as well.

Looking at the makeup of this team, I am seriously in doubt of where he slots in.

The question is does he marinate for two more years while the Kings wait for Kopi to retire or not? Is he moved to wing? Is his future a fourth line center?

We talk a lot about Fagemo, Thomas, JAD, Madden, his contemporaries in my mind, but now there is also Lafferiere, Pineilli, Chromiak, Helenius, Hughes, Jamison, etc. All will be in competition for spots sooner than later.

Of course he needs to be healthy before any long term decision is made. I’m just saying, he seems to be running out of room.

Given he is a 5OA, maybe his time line is extended. As a King I think his destiny is a bottom sixer at this point. If he makes it all.

Maybe a team takes a chance on his pedigree in a trade.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I'm not sure what the rush is with Turcotte and figuring his roster spot. He literally just came back for one game. He has a long ways to go to prove he can play 50+ games a year. This season it's basically just getting into games and staying healthy. Any development is secondary almost to simply proving he is has a hockey career.

Next season, assuming all is well health wise, is where you will see if he can regain his high status and contend for a roster spot. I envision next season him bouncing back & forth. Then the 2024-2025 season is when he is a FT player. If somehow he exceeds expectations and gets back to elite prospect status over the next 12 months, then great -- he can be like AK34 last year.

Regardless, there will be spots next year and the year after. Even in the top 9. Moore is a FA after this seaosn and imo is not being signed unless we trade away one of more of Arvi/AI. Even if Moore is resigned and Arvi/AI stay, those guys will be gone in 1-2 season. So Turc can be a 4th liner building his way into a top 9 role once those guys are gone. Kopi has only 2 years left too right? Not to mention other potential trades made. Long ways to go over the next 12-24 months. Turc has plenty of time. This topic seems like 9-12 months too early.
I agree him, by himself, is too early to worry about where he fits. But there's a growing number of prospects who, within the next few years, can be lost for nothing as they become waiver eligible.

Next season, the following forwards are waiver eligible should they stay in the org:
Austin Wagner
Lias Andersson
Samuel Fagemo
Akil Thomas
TJ Tynan
Aiden Dudas
Tyler Madden
Taylor Ward

Granted, most of those are acceptable losses or would go unclaimed.

But should you want to keep even 2 of those/not risk losing them, then the following season will add these forwards:
Quinton Byfield
Alex Turcotte

This also, of course, includes roster players of Gabriel Vilardi, JAD, Arthur Kaliyev. Nor does it include defensemen like Moverare, Bjornfot and Spence.

The Kings need to decide sooner rather than later where at least some of the more valuable players fit so they can plan accordingly, make appropriate trades and giving some opportunities.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Love Turcotte as a player. Fairly high skill level and isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. I thought he could make it as a top-6 NHL player and still do if it weren't for one obvious fact...

The guy is just a magnet for getting physically mashed. No player in Ontario took more of a beating than he did and that's even excluding the 2 massive hits he took. That combined with being injury prone would seem a future in the NHL is very low, unfortunately.

It's too bad, but if he had better situational awareness or whatever the skill is to avoid getting railed, I'd have higher hopes. I said it before, but he needs to get on the Blake Lizotte fitness plan cause he also takes a beating but rarely gets phased by it.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
tumblr_msth2u7L3D1shabqvo1_400.gif

No.

Execute him immediately.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Really depressing to see Turcotte’s development compared to everyone else in the top ten of that draft.

If we could go back in time and get Byram to fall to us, that would’ve been ideal. Oh well.

Reactions: LAKings88

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Couldnt we shoehorn him in somewhere on the wing if he stays healthy.

I'd try to shuffle Arvi and Durzi into a decent physical LD then plonk the Turk on the wing.

We need to make use of these young kids with cheaper contracts.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Really depressing to see Turcotte’s development compared to everyone else in the top ten of that draft.

If we could go back in time and get Byram to fall to us, that would’ve been ideal. Oh well.
I wish Blake pushed for Romanov this last off-season.

Romanov-Clarke would be an elite pairing.

aceofpace

Mar 19, 2016
I've always had more faith in Turcotte than Vilardi, so why should I lose faith now?

In fact, I imagine the roster to look something like this in 2 or 3 years, when we really should contend.

Kaliyev - Byfield - Vilardi
Fiala - Turcotte - Kupari
Moore - Danault - Kempe
Fagemo - Lizotte - Grundstrom

Reactions: Kurrilino

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Cap, depending on what happens with the D & Cal's contract losing one of Moore, Iafallo or Ardvidsson is quite possible before next year. King's will need cheap players to fill those roles. Turcotte can take all the time he wants.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Cap, depending on what happens with the D & Cal's contract losing one of Moore, Iafallo or Ardvidsson is quite possible before next year. King's will need cheap players to fill those roles. Turcotte can take all the time he wants.
M-A-D line has been the Kings best for two years. I’d be surprised if it broken up any time soon. Iaffalo could be trade bait sure.

If anything, the cap going up seems to in Moore’s favor to stay.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
M-A-D line has been the Kings best for two years. I’d be surprised if it broken up any time soon. Iaffalo could be trade bait sure.

If anything, the cap going up seems to in Moore’s favor to stay.

I know I'm stupidly high on Turcotte but I don't see a world in which he isn't at the VERY least a good utility winger like Iafallo/Moore.

I personally still think Arvidsson is kind of a pissy little bitch and my uneducated outsider opinion is he's the odd man out.

I think Moore loves home sweet home and will give us a fair deal.

I also think Iafallo loves it here, gets plenty of opportunity, and loves surfing. He also took a chance on us in the first place. I'd be bummed if he were traded but I get reality too.

Turcotte fills in for any of those guys at the very least and imo is an upgrade when all is said and done...but provided health. To me he's much more of a wild card than he was before the concussions. But on ability alone? I think he's GROSSLY underrated on this board and around the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad