Why is Yakupov a bust?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Galchenyuk would have went #1 if he didn't have a serious knee injury in his draft year, Yakupov was good in the O but you could see his flaws then and most of us knew he wasn't worth the hype.

I wanted Murray but he hasn't exactly turned heads either. I remember Galchenyuk was considered the safe pick because of his size.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I'd just like to know how so many so-called hockey people, including Mackenzie, thought this kid was the next Bure, and 'the best Russian prospect since OV'.

it just goes to show, they don't know everything and they get it completely wrong sometimes.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
One of the many poorly developed Oilers players over the years.

The Oilers were not going to "develop" a brain for him.

He is the least intelligent hockey player I have ever seen.
I'd just like to know how so many so-called hockey people, including Mackenzie, thought this kid was the next Bure, and 'the best Russian prospect since OV'.

it just goes to show, they don't know everything and they get it completely wrong sometimes.

Bob McKenzie never makes evaluations on prospects himself.

He interviews, sorts and lists the general scouting consensus. Which is why his list is easily the most accurate year after year.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

The Oilers might not have been able to do it, but there are teams who certainly manage to teach young players well, and build their skills. It's called "development", and it's not easy, but it can be done if the player is receptive. If you have a coachable player and a coach that's willing to teach (not all players are willing to listen and not all coaches are willing to spend the time), then players can and frequently do get better.

The Oilers spent a good decade ignoring that concept, deciding that all of their high picks knew everything they would ever know about hockey at age 18, throwing them into the NHL with no instruction, hoping that magic would happen. It didn't work. Other teams don't do that.

Was Yakupov ever a guy who could learn? I don't know. People have opinions, I never watched him enough to make a judgement. Can he still learn? Likely not. Once habits solidify, they're hard to break. The window has likely passed. Probably best to let him go to the KHL in peace, filing him under the categories of "players whom the Oilers' incompetence ruined forever" and "what might have been".

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Obviously "low hockey IQ" is the answer beleived by most here. How in the world did that get by soooo many scouts that it made him the consensus #1 overall pick? He played at a pretty high level at WJC and dominated.

I find it hard to believe this guy is that much of a bust. I still want to blame a decent chunk on the joke Oilers franchise at the time and then being buried in a 3rd line role ever since.

Throw him on Crosby or Malkin's wing and I bet he's a 30 goal scorer real quick.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Obviously "low hockey IQ" is the answer beleived by most here. How in the world did that get by soooo many scouts that it made him the consensus #1 overall pick? He played at a pretty high level at WJC and dominated.

I find it hard to believe this guy is that much of a bust. I still want to blame a decent chunk on the joke Oilers franchise at the time and then being buried in a 3rd line role ever since.

Throw him on Crosby or Malkin's wing and I bet he's a 30 goal scorer real quick.

Doesn't always work out that way, but if I was him, that's what I'd do.

Sign for $1.2 mill or something real low for one season in Pittsburgh. If you can get it going there, then you have an NHL career, if not, then hello KHL.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

People said the same thing about Devan Dubnyk when he was on the Oilers. A little time with Sean Burke when he was with the Coyotes and look at him now.

The Oilers have a long list of prospects they bungled the development of and when they went elsewhere they prospered.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Vegas seems like an obvious choice, they will be starved for offense so he could be 1 or 2 RW there and they could overlook bad defense if he could chip in 20 plus goals.

if they are starved for offense why would they want yakupov who last showed he was capable of anything offensively in juniors ?

he is, for a variety of reasons, not made for the NHL game. his best option is to go to the KHL, and try to get people interested in him again not go to bust out of his third team in three years because he's not top 6 material ( even on an expansion team) and has no idea how to play a bottom six role.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

throw a ham sandwhich on crosby's or malkin's wing and they score the same amount. The game isnt " how can we make yakupov better" the game is " can yakupov be better than player X "? so far the answer is no.

He's NEVER shown he deserves first or second line minutes, that's his problem. Yet people think that he somehow deserves these minutes based on where he was drafted 6 years ago. have people simply forgotten every thing that has happened in the mean time ?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

He didn't dominate WJC though. One of the first times I doubted him as an Oiler prospect. Tarasenko and his line were dominant though. Yak looked like a passenger on a crazy strong Russian junior team.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Wish more Blues fans would comment on this, as I haven't watched him this year. The whole time he was an Oiler, I was thinking he should watch every game tape of Tarasenko as a template for how to make Yaks skills useful in the NHL. So when he was traded, wished him the best and hoped Hitchcock plus Tarasenko were his best chance at turning it around.

Yak reminds me of a person whose brain falls out when in distress. Like that friend you had in school that knew everything the night before a test only to do poorly on it because they were nervous. I was the same playing hockey if my father was present, as he would nitpick the entire game after. Brain would fog... less able to see the play.

The Oiler's totally screwed up the development of Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak, and Gags. Too many young players at once without any shelter nor competition from decent vet players for roster spots/icetime. Plus Eakins. Example; RNH was the first line centre almost immediately. Between being totally in over his head and Hall hogging the puck, his offensive vision and creativity just died in development. The things he was heralded as having for making him a 1OA to begin with. Haven't seen it in 2 years... maybe a little bit at the WCH. Now people are goating him as the reason the Oilers don't win every game and want him gone. (Oil fans always have a scapegoat) Years of suffering through watching one of the worst teams in history just to watch the pieces that justified those years turn into little. grrrr

That got off track. Yak, so many things to like and still hope he turns a corner to NHL player. PS Never understood the Bure comparisons, skate nothing alike.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well i thought he had the tools, i just think some players cant handle the pressure & expectations of being #1. he is a speedy , creative player but he looks lost & by himself when trying to make a play. i feel bad for the guy , hard not to call him a complete bust.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Yakupov didn't even have that impressive WJC stats, in a broader context. 17 points in 14 games is good, but Kuznetsov looked much better on the ice and on the stat sheet.

Bure? Yeah he was voted best WJC forward as a 17-year old in Anchorage, Alaska in front of older guys like Fedorov, Mogilny, Roenick and Modano....

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Would like the pens to take a chance on him if he's available. Pittsburgh has resuscitated Schultz, Daley, and Niskanen's careers over the past few years. Perhaps they can do the same for Yakupov. There would be almost zero pressure on him in Pittsburgh.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Never understood the Bure comparisons, skate nothing alike.

Apparently he idolized Bure growing up.

That shouldn't say much though. Peter Forsberg, for example, idolized HÃ¥kan Loob while growing up, and he turned out quite a different player than Loob stylistically.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
As many posters have mentioned, his hockey IQ is low by NHL standards. He has some plus skills, but even that area is cause for some concern. For example, he has tremendous speed, and while it can be disruptive it is rarely dangerous. He has difficulty handling the puck at speed, so the speed doesn't really help much carrying the puck to create offense. His low IQ makes it difficult for him to process how plays are developing, so he is often quick to an area that takes him out of the play. He has really good hands when given time and space, but that is extremely rare at the NHL level, especially when the player is unable to create said time and space for themselves.

He is just too reliant on other players to utilize the skills he has, but his low hockey IQ makes it really difficult for anyone to develop chemistry with him because he lacks the ability to understand the game at a level that allows him to process and anticipate his linemate's next move.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He was more talented than other players, and never really had to use his hickey-IQ as a result. He was rushed in to the NHL and never given the chance to develop a strong mental game. His mind couldn't keep up with the speed of the NHL, and he would have benefited from playing in the AHL to develop that IQ against slower and less talented players, where he would have still held a skill advantage over most. This would have boosted his confidence and taught him how to use his skill at an NHL-level.

So it's one of 3 things....
1. His hockey-IQ was never high enough to be an NHL player
2. He was poorly developed and his brain was never given a chance to catch up to his skill level
3. 1 and 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad