Why is Yakupov a bust?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Looks like a case of zero confidence right now. Not sure how else you can explain going from .354 goals per game as an 19 year old to .081 as a 23 year old, declining each season in between.

Nope. He probably played top-6 minutes and PP time early in his career, but on the Oilers he's been third liner for the last 2 seasons. Explains the drop.

Same with Nuge. Far less soft minutes. Although Nuge has decided to throw away his playmaking skills completely.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I swear, the more I watch hockey the more I'm coming to the mindset that I will take a smart player with limited physical tools over a guy with no hockey brain. Seeing the difference between (say) Brayden Point and Vlad Namestnikov... give me the short dude with all sorts of brains over the skilled guy who only gets to the right spot on the ice by accident every time.

Yup, which is why I think Dylan Strome is a giant bust and why I've been a huge fan of Draisaitl since juniors - the guy ooozes hockey sense.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
He HAS shown some growth in his game this year. He's a lot more responsible defensively, and he's actually developed some chemistry with his linemates (Barbashev and Paajarvi or Sanford). I think a lot of that is Barbashev playing well. Maybe having a fellow-Russian on his line is buoying his spirits.

If I could decree his path, he would sign with the Blues and play big minutes in the AHL next year. Maybe a full year like that. I think if he could emulate Paajarvi's path it would be the best option for him to become a contributing NHL player, at least a solid 3rd line contributor who scares opponents with his speed.

But the problem is the 2.5M qualifying offer. He's not worth that, and I don't think the Blues will pay it. They may sign him for 1.5M or 1M. But if he is available as UFA is there someone else who'd take him at a better price? At what point will he prefer the KHL? Seeing Paajarvi salvage his career (he looks like a solid 3rd line player now and has transformed his game in the AHL) may help Yakupov to be more patient in this process.

I hope the Blues find a way to keep him, but he's probably not worth the cap hit and investment of a roster spot since he's not effective in a 4th line role. You want your spare forwards to be more versatile, and he won't grow if he doesn't get enough minutes. Tough situation, but that's where he is now.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
Blues should try and qualify him at 2.6 until he's a UFA imo. Put him on a two way contract and let him play in the AHL if he's not gonna be playing in the NHL. I think his family is in North America now so I'd probably assume that he's not gonna be leaving any time soon. He's fast and just needs some confidence rebuilt. I think this Blues team could revitalize his confidence.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
His assist last night shows exactly what's wrong with him. Entering the zone and Pietrangelo is wide open on the right side; he tries to deke through Yotes' defense by himself. He ends up losing the puck, but fortunately for him it bounces right for Pietrangelo.

He also had a pretty good scoring attempt last night. He definitely needs to work on passing, hopefully he makes some connections with the other players on the team and starts jelling. I think Yeo and our team's sense of community can help him get his groove back or allow for him to develop into a better player. He just really didn't fit the Hitchcock system at all.

Reactions: Fixxer

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
"Oh God, I need to impress everyone to save my career and sense of self so I'm going to do this instead" - Yakupov on every single bad decision he makes that could end up being a highlight reel if he pulls it off.

Yak's the epitome of forcing it. He wasn't like this in his rookie season. Hell, he looked smart but raw in his rookie season.

He needs to buy into working with a sports psychologist and accept that he has to work with where he is now, not how he used to or wants to be.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
"Oh God, I need to impress everyone to save my career and sense of self so I'm going to do this instead" - Yakupov on every single bad decision he makes that could end up being a highlight reel if he pulls it off.

Yak's the epitome of forcing it. He wasn't like this in his rookie season. Hell, he looked smart but raw in his rookie season.

He looked like a headless chicken in his rookie season. He had some good moments for sure but he was super streaky in that season as well.

Credit for Krueger sheltering him as much as he could. I remember a lot of fans criticizing Ralph for not letting Yakupov play as much or with the right linemate even in that season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad