Why is McDavid so little known outside of hockey?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
McDavid doesn't have much of a personality really.

Also, as mentioned before, Gretzky didn't become a big US celebrity until he was traded to L.A.
McDavid is Charles Barkley compared to Sidney Crosby but Crosby became a household name because he played in Pittsburgh, and the Penguins became a powerhouse pretty quickly. Took the Oilers almost a decade to make the finals for the first time with him. Being stuck in Edmonton is why nobody outside of hockey fans cares or knows about him, no matter how good he is.

If he was in Chicago, Boston, NY, Philly, or Pittsburgh he’d be more well known.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
A place like LA or a special personality would certainly give his name more prominence. This doesn't change the fact that even then he wouldn't be as known as he should be because the NHL is unable to create hype.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Plays far from the limelight in Edmonton, and seems physically ill when it does shine on him. Displays limited personality, which is his right but it’s also the media’s right to try to find someone more engaging to talk to about the sport.

He also hasn’t won a title yet, which limits his ability to be the uncontested face of the sport. It’s also added mounting pressure on him, which probably exacerbates his caution when dealing with a media that otherwise would desperately like to promote him more.

It’s the combination of all these things.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
He has the personality of a wet paper bag. He plays in Edmonton, which is a shit time zone to try and watch hockey casually. Hockey is not that popular. Lots of reasons.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Reminds me of Mike Trout in that he prefers to not play the celebrity circuit even though both his and McDavid's respective leagues would benefit if they did more marketing perhaps (McDavid's case it might be to move to a big US hockey market like the East Coast teams).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Reminds me of Mike Trout in that he prefers to not play the celebrity circuit even though both his and McDavid's respective leagues would benefit if they did more marketing perhaps (McDavid's case it might be to move to a big US hockey market like the East Coast teams).
That's why it's also on the player, as well as the NHL and team. But, you can only market someone who is truly comfortable being in the limelight.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Connor will never possess this magnetism
img006.jpg
He looks like he just started a job as a pool boy for an old lady predator and he isn't sure why she keeps wanting to take his picture shirtless.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Because the NHL is stupid enough to let a generational talent get drafted by a team playing on the North Pole.

The NFL or NBA would have rigged the draft to make sure he goes elsewhere.

Imagine McDavid playing in any US market and he's better known here. Not saying he'd be more popular than Lebron or Mahomes but he would be significantly more popular than currently.
Thankfully the NHL doesn’t rig drafts, like you suggest other leagues would do.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I don't buy the personality thing. Have you guys seen Lionel Messi? He has to be the most awkward person in the world.

Hockey just is what it is in terms of popularity. The only guy that "regular" people know is Gretzky. Not even Lemieux.
Older generations it’s Gretzky, newer generations it’s Crosby

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Its a few things:

Hockey is a very niche sport, not many players in league history have become famous outside of hockey.

He plays in a small media market.

He is not a very exciting interview.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
McDavid is Charles Barkley compared to Sidney Crosby but Crosby became a household name because he played in Pittsburgh, and the Penguins became a powerhouse pretty quickly. Took the Oilers almost a decade to make the finals for the first time with him. Being stuck in Edmonton is why nobody outside of hockey fans cares or knows about him, no matter how good he is.

If he was in Chicago, Boston, NY, Philly, or Pittsburgh he’d be more well known.
Well, is Matthews that well known? He's even an American player playing in one of the biggest NHL markets and I can tell you with certainty that there's plenty of people I know who aren't NHL fans who have no idea who he is in America. I didn't poll the rest of Americans but I'm pretty sure that Matthews is relatively low on the popularity scale in the states.

I think McDavid playing in Edmonton is only a small reason why he isn't more popular. I mean, Gretzky is a household name relatively and he was before he left Edmonton.
It's the NHL, not many people in the states care about the NHL relative to most other sports and it'll probably always be that way, a niche sport. It's an NHL thing more than an Edmonton thing IMO.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well, is Matthews that well known? He's even an American player playing in one of the biggest NHL markets and I can tell you with certainty that there's plenty of people I know who aren't NHL fans who have no idea who he is in America. I didn't poll the rest of Americans but I'm pretty sure that Matthews is relatively low on the popularity scale in the states.

I think McDavid playing in Edmonton is only a small reason why he isn't more popular. I mean, Gretzky is a household name relatively and he was before he left Edmonton.
It's the NHL, not many people in the states care about the NHL relative to most other sports and it'll probably always be that way, a niche sport. It's an NHL thing more than an Edmonton thing IMO.
Over the years NBC, MSPN and TNT have tried to market Matthews nationally on their broadcasts, but he and the Leafs have flopped every time. I think they’ve changed their strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad