Why is McDavid so little known outside of hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hockey just never has taken as a marketable sport in the US. In the US when they run Gatorade "athlete montage" commercials, they cut Sidney Crosby out for the US audience because no one knows who the hell he is. That Canadian versions of those Gatorade ads have Crosby spliced in with the other athletes.

It just is what it is. Most of Crosby's marketing is in Canada (Tim Horton's especially).

In general, player-athlete marketing probably peaked in the 1990s with Michael Jordan and has been on a steady decline since. Look at Nike stock today is dropping because people are opting to buy what were once no-name brands.

I don't really follow baseball or NFL football even and could only name a few of the players (uhh ... Ohtani and Judge for baseball I guess ... Mahomes and Taylor Swift's BF for football). But back in the day it felt like everyone knew Ken Griffey Jr., Jose Canseco, Dan Marino, Derek Jeter, Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, Roberto Alomar (in Canada), and I knew like Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, Deion Sanders, Emmett Smith, Bo Jackson, etc. in the NFL even if I didn't follow the sport.

LeBron James, Steph Curry are relatively well know but they've been playing forever, I feel like Michael Jordan (for sure), Shaq, Kobe, Dennis Rodman, even Charles Barkley were as popular or moreso in their heyday.

If just feels like there isn't as much non-sports touch points for athletes these days too. I knew Ken Griffey Jr. not because I liked baseball that much, but because of the Ken Griffey Jr. video games, that seems to be less of a thing now. I knew Dan Marino because he was in Ace Ventura with Jim Carey, etc. etc.

You’re onto something. I think sports in general were more popular back before the internet and such. There are so many more entertainment options nowadays so there are less people who even watch sports.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Those guys all won a ton of championships though.

Not saying he’d be as popular as Tom Brady or Jeter but if Mr Game 4 had won the cup this year that would have given him a huge boost.

Matthew Tkachuk is the guy appearing on ESPN NBA show, not McDoofus
I'm talking about Sidney Crosby, who has won three championships.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Everyone always seems to want more exposure and I don't understand the notion that more growth is inherently good.

To an extent, sure.

I follow the WNBA. I just want the women to make good money. We're doing that. The average salary is trending to go over $200,000 per year in the next two years. The girls that are selling shoes and Gatorade are making millions. That's great. I'm very proud that the Liberty are averaging over 12,000 this year and that figure is over 10,000 even if you take out Caitlin Clark games. We have a nice little fanbase.

Do I need it to get any bigger? Not really. I'm in a nice little spot here. Would you rather A) Spend $150 for you and a guest to sit in the 10th row with 10,000 people who would die for the team or B) Spend $150 to sit by yourself in the upper bowl with tourists asking you how hockey works the whole game?

I've experienced choice B with the Rangers my entire life, and I can tell you for certain that growth is not always glamorous. My personal experience would be better if it were more niche. I could afford better seats at more games.
I really enjoyed your perspective. In this day and age where perpetual growth seems to be the only criteria or assessment for success, you touched upon a few points which are salient.

One thing I wonder is if let's say McDavid and hockey by extension becomes as popular, as say, football or baseball, would the game and its presentation change? I would say it will. May be more hoaky, trying to get eyeballs to the screens. Some of the traditions of the game may go down the wayside, in favour of trying to appease to the masses. Politically correct activity and perspectives would run amok, and players will probably succumb to the marketing thinking they are better and more entitled than they already are.

I would dare say part of the reason why hockey players are by and large much more humble and well grounded, is that the game is smaller, less known and as a result the players don't get a puffed head from all the attention. There is something very compelling for the fact that tickets are accessible and affordable for the average fan and not a barrier to entry like some sports.

Reactions: Machinehead

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Those guys all won a ton of championships though.

Not saying he’d be as popular as Tom Brady or Jeter but if Mr Game 4 had won the cup this year that would have given him a huge boost.

Matthew Tkachuk is the guy appearing on ESPN NBA show, not McDoofus

No offence, but Tkachuk is a huge goof. If I saw him on some show, and it wasn’t hockey related, I would turn the channel. Ever thought that maybe McDavid doesn’t want to appear on these kinds of shows? Just because a guy is more reserved and quiet doesn’t make him a bad person.

I want Tkachuk on my team, but do I want to see his mug anywhere else outside hockey? Nope.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You’re onto something. I think sports in general were more popular back before the internet and such. There are so many more entertainment options nowadays so there are less people who even watch sports.

I think sports are still very popular but the individual athlete in terms of marketing isn't.

There's no one in golf remotely close to as popular as Tiger Woods in his hey day today.

No one in any sport as popular as Michael Jordan was in his hey day (well maybe Messi globally).

No hockey player has come close to Gretzky.

The NFL is maybe getting a bit of a bounce right now because of the Taylor Swift effect but outside of Mahomes and Swift's BF, I honestly don't know many other NFL players by name.

The fact that Patrick Kane never really broke out in the US as a marketable star coast to coast makes it daunting for anyone else. You can't get a much better situation than that, American born guy, flashy style of play, several Cups, big TV market in Chicago, but he never really took off in the US as a big marketing draw.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
First of all Matthews isn’t the best player in the league, and Toronto has zero fan base in the United States.

Even Montreal has a bigger fan base here, nobody cares that Toronto is “one of the biggest markets”.
Toronto is one of the biggest NHL markets and the Leafs are a very well known brand in general.

Matthews isn't the best player in the league but he's the best goal scorer of this generation which is what really generates interest and he's American born yet he's just a tiny blip on the radar in terms of popularity in the states. My general point is that it's an NHL thing moreso than an Edmonton thing in terms of McDavid not being more popular even though I'm sure being in remote Edmonton plays a small part in it.

I also think this generation of players not being in the Olympics (on a world stage) plays a role as well. A lot of the greats in the past had their "Olympic Moments" which really boosted their popularity. McDavid, Matthews etc. haven't had that opportunity yet.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Hockey is a niche sport that is becoming more exclusive by the moment, and it is also much more difficult to market players that play 1/3 of the game that you often can’t distinguish as easily from one another as in other sports.

Reactions: torontoblood

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Plays for the smallest market in the league. It's hockey. No championships (yet). Lack of widespread games available nationally until their deal with TNT and ESPN. He doesn't have a big personality.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
  1. At the top of the list is Connor McDavid, the star center of the Chicago Blackhawks and the first overall pick in the draft. McDavid's skills on the ice have captivated fans, making his jersey the most sought-after in the NHL.

I'm not so sure your source is the most reliable.

After looking at another source it looks like they mistakenly named Connor McDavid instead of Connor Bedard LOL.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Toronto is one of the biggest NHL markets and the Leafs are a very well known brand in general.

Matthews isn't the best player in the league but he's the best goal scorer of this generation which is what really generates interest and he's American born yet he's just a tiny blip on the radar in terms of popularity in the states. My general point is that it's an NHL thing moreso than an Edmonton thing in terms of McDavid not being more popular even though I'm sure being in remote Edmonton plays a small part in it.

I also think this generation of players not being in the Olympics (on a world stage) plays a role as well. A lot of the greats in the past had their "Olympic Moments" which really boosted their popularity. McDavid, Matthews etc. haven't had that opportunity yet.
At first I was going to disagree but I think you're right. More people can name Raptors players than Matthews in the US.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

i'm telling you, I don't care how big the media market is in Canada, the Leafs have zero footprint in the US. Zero. Possibly less than Edmonton. Because at least Edmonton has a history of success within living memory.

Also Americans fans don't really care if he's American born or not.

Crosby, Ovechkin, Lundqvist are the most popular players of the last generation end they're not American. But they played for big American teams.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Plays for the smallest market in the league. It's hockey. No championships (yet). Lack of widespread games available nationally until their deal with TNT and ESPN. He doesn't have a big personality.
Edmonton is a very strong market. They do very well in attendance and merch. The ratings for the SCF were pretty good.

Gretzky created a whole generation of Americans who know who the Oilers are.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Edmonton is a very strong market. They do very well in attendance and merch. The ratings for the SCF were pretty good.

Gretzky created a whole generation of Americans who know who the Oilers are.
As great as he is, McDavid is not Gretzky. Gretzky dominated the league more than McDavid, shattered scoring records, won a bunch of cups, and appeared in more media.

Its too late for McDavid to catch him in the first 3 , but maybe he should marry a B-list Hollywood actress to increase his cache.

Also , attendance is meaningless.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
i'm telling you, I don't care how big the media market is in Canada, the Leafs have zero footprint in the US. Zero. Possibly less than Edmonton. Because at least Edmonton has a history of success within living memory.

Also Americans fans don't really care if he's American born or not.

Crosby, Ovechkin, Lundqvist are the most popular players of the last generation end they're not American. But they played for big American teams.
I see that you live in New York as well as I do so we can relate. I've interacted with a lot of people who have at best a casual understanding of hockey and almost unanimously they know who the Leafs are moreso than the Oilers. Most of them don't even know where Edmonton is on the map whereas most know where Toronto is.

Of course I didn't take a poll so I have no idea on a countrywide basis but I bet if there was a poll taken of a bunch of random people if they know the Edmonton Oilers or Toronto Maple Leafs that the overwhelming majority who don't answer neither would know the Leafs or at least know a little more about the franchise.

Those names you mentioned weren't really THAT well known. The NHL has had a marketing crisis for decades, people by and large don't really care about hockey and if they do it's more on an Olympic level than a professional league level. Lundqvist? Nobody outside of hockey circles or people who live in NY know that guy. Oshie is more popular because of his Olympic moment.
Being in NY you should know this all too well. It's the Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets and Knicks before you even get to the Rangers and the Rangers have a pretty decent sized fanbase so can you imagine in markets where hockey is even less popular? Nobody cares about the NHL and the NHL is awful at marketing their stars, those are the biggest reasons why NHL superstars aren't more popular, not because McDavid plays in Edmonton.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
He's the most electrifying player since Mario Lemieux and a human highlight reel. Blazing speed, soft hands, elite vision, passing, and IQ, scores goals, gamebreaker, he's got it all. So why hasn't his name broken out outside of hockey circles?

One argument I often hear is that he isn't a big media personality but neither is Crosby and he's the most famous player since Gretzky or Lemieux. In fact, I would argue Crosby was more famous before even playing his first game. The hype leading up to his draft was unprecedented in the world of hockey and made him a bigger media sensation than McDavid despite his wooden and typical NHL personality.

Another one I hear is the market he plays in, but Gretzky's heyday was in Edmonton and it didn't stop him from being the most famous player of the time by a wide margin. Surely, Edmonton wasn't a bigger city in the 80s than it is now? Washington also wasn't a particularly large hockey market before Ovechkin.

There is also the cup argument, but Ovechkin was a superstar even non-hockey fans knew about for years before he made the playoffs. I would argue he was also more popular than McDavid ever was before he played his first NHL game.

McDavid just won a Conn Smythe in a losing effort, but this has done nothing for him. Even to this day, people outside of hockey circles might know Crosby or Ovechkin. McDavid's name never approached their level despite being arguably better than either of them. He should have overtaken them by now as these are his prime years and these two are in the twilight of their careers, yet their status outside of hockey eludes him.

Even in his historical 2022-23 season, his jersey wasn't even in the top 5 most sold ones. In fact, I don't think McDavid ever had the top-selling jersey in his career in a given year.

I don't think there has ever been such a disparity between talent and fame. What is the reason for this?
Personality of a wet saltine

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As great as he is, McDavid is not Gretzky. Gretzky dominated the league more than McDavid, shattered scoring records, won a bunch of cups, and appeared in more media.

Its too late for McDavid to catch him in the first 3 , but maybe he should marry a B-list Hollywood actress to increase his cache.

Also , attendance is meaningless.
Ok. Very good point that everyone agrees with and nobody is questioning.

• Haha
Reactions: Coffey

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Because he has the personality of a paper bag and isn't marketable.
As funny as this is it's true in general with hockey players. They are pretty bland and don't create too many headlines. They are not flashy and generally you can't even tell who they are when they are out and about in the public especially in the USA.

You don't see NHL players with entourages going to parties or events like the NBA. I'd say MLB is quite similar to NHL in they don't get as much attention as NFL and especially NBA players. Nothing against McDavid but besides 99 I don't think any player that I can recall got attention outside of the league.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Because for the longest time the NHL marketed only about 6 or 7 teams to a wide audience. They sold the idea that teams were more important than the players who play on them, especially if they were in larger markets. When some of those markets fell off the map they had no idea what to do.

Actual donkeys could market hockey better than the NHL.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I think sports are still very popular but the individual athlete in terms of marketing isn't.

There's no one in golf remotely close to as popular as Tiger Woods in his hey day today.

No one in any sport as popular as Michael Jordan was in his hey day (well maybe Messi globally).

No hockey player has come close to Gretzky.

The NFL is maybe getting a bit of a bounce right now because of the Taylor Swift effect but outside of Mahomes and Swift's BF, I honestly don't know many other NFL players by name.

The fact that Patrick Kane never really broke out in the US as a marketable star coast to coast makes it daunting for anyone else. You can't get a much better situation than that, American born guy, flashy style of play, several Cups, big TV market in Chicago, but he never really took off in the US as a big marketing draw.
Good points. I am doubtful that golf will ever get back to the prominence it once had with Tiger in every tournament. They are still covering him periodically, certainly not because of his current performance but name recognition and the associated attention/eyeballs. But I think that ship has sailed a long time ago. Scottie Scheffler can win every tournament going forward, but there is not that same singular excitement Woods had. Perhaps it is total domination of a sport, that may not be as popular as the big 4 team sports. I think maybe that's why Caitlin Clark has so much attention. Dominating her sport in every respect.

I wonder whether to a certain degree, there is also a wholesomeness about marketability. The aforementioned Clark is likely marketable partly because she represents a wholesome "role model" type of player - though I to this day don't know too many kids who look up to athletes - admire their performance yes. Woods, before his affairs was fairly squeaky clean. That bodes well to companies who want to market an athlete.

By the way, I have no idea who "Messi" is. I had to look him up and when I saw soccer, I realized that's why I don't know - I have zero interest nor knowledge of anything soccer related.

It really does have to be a perfect storm of being at the right time at the right place to get that dominant media coverage like Gretzky, Jordan, and Woods got. Performance would really have to transcend one's sports in terms of how dominant one is. Of course there are all sorts of socio-political trends at play here too. Fans also like feel good stories, so seeing a small player dominate a sport or one who rose up from a lot of failures, creates a marketable backstory which helps to sell the player. Part of the problem with hockey is that it is becoming far less relatable to many kids, mostly due to cost as barrier of entry. I recently drove a bunch of kids home from a church event. One guy was talking about how he was playing at really high levels of AAA hockey or whatever it was. In the past the other kids in the car would ask questions and express interest. Now, I don't think any of the other kids were even listening or cared. All of them did not play hockey, and they had their phones were just doing whatever young people do. What was once a "wow, you play at such and such level and have played with such and such player" has now become ho hum.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He's the most electrifying player since Mario Lemieux and a human highlight reel. Blazing speed, soft hands, elite vision, passing, and IQ, scores goals, gamebreaker, he's got it all. So why hasn't his name broken out outside of hockey circles?

One argument I often hear is that he isn't a big media personality but neither is Crosby and he's the most famous player since Gretzky or Lemieux. In fact, I would argue Crosby was more famous before even playing his first game. The hype leading up to his draft was unprecedented in the world of hockey and made him a bigger media sensation than McDavid despite his wooden and typical NHL personality.

Another one I hear is the market he plays in, but Gretzky's heyday was in Edmonton and it didn't stop him from being the most famous player of the time by a wide margin. Surely, Edmonton wasn't a bigger city in the 80s than it is now? Washington also wasn't a particularly large hockey market before Ovechkin.

There is also the cup argument, but Ovechkin was a superstar even non-hockey fans knew about for years before he made the playoffs. I would argue he was also more popular than McDavid ever was before he played his first NHL game.

McDavid just won a Conn Smythe in a losing effort, but this has done nothing for him. Even to this day, people outside of hockey circles might know Crosby or Ovechkin. McDavid's name never approached their level despite being arguably better than either of them. He should have overtaken them by now as these are his prime years and these two are in the twilight of their careers, yet their status outside of hockey eludes him.

Even in his historical 2022-23 season, his jersey wasn't even in the top 5 most sold ones. In fact, I don't think McDavid ever had the top-selling jersey in his career in a given year.

I don't think there has ever been such a disparity between talent and fame. What is the reason for this?
Marketing and advertising in the USA. If he played in a large us market hed market hed make alot more money.

Sports like hockey and football because of whearing helmetsvits hard to get recognized

In football generally only the QB gets the ad money because hes interviewed more without a helmet on do prop li e recognize him

Basketball and soccer players done wear them so facial recognition beconesceeasier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad