Why is McDavid so little known outside of hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In addition to being an introvert it would help if he had won a Cup. Almost every major marketable athlete has won multiple titles in their sport. The one exception was LeBron James who was huge even before he won a Championship but winning multiple championships helped him as well.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Well, is Matthews that well known? He's even an American player playing in one of the biggest NHL markets and I can tell you with certainty that there's plenty of people I know who aren't NHL fans who have no idea who he is in America. I didn't poll the rest of Americans but I'm pretty sure that Matthews is relatively low on the popularity scale in the states.

I think McDavid playing in Edmonton is only a small reason why he isn't more popular. I mean, Gretzky is a household name relatively and he was before he left Edmonton.
It's the NHL, not many people in the states care about the NHL relative to most other sports and it'll probably always be that way, a niche sport. It's an NHL thing more than an Edmonton thing IMO.
First of all Matthews isn’t the best player in the league, and Toronto has zero fan base in the United States.

Even Montreal has a bigger fan base here, nobody cares that Toronto is “one of the biggest markets”.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The average random ass person outside of Canada doesn't know who Sidney Crosby is.
He’s one of the only Canadian hockey players any of my American friends can name. And that’s without them following hockey.

But of course everyone’s experience is likely to be different

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't buy the personality thing. Have you guys seen Lionel Messi? He has to be the most awkward person in the world.

Hockey just is what it is in terms of popularity. The only guy that "regular" people know is Gretzky. Not even Lemieux.
I’ve heard of Messi, but I have never seen him take a kick, watched a highlight, or even seen on commercial that know of. Other than commercials it’s the same with that basketball player. I have zero interest and many many many more people feel the same way about hockey.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he was in Chicago, Boston, NY, Philly, or Pittsburgh he’d be more well known.
Probably more well known, but in terms, but are we talking significantly more well known?

Chicago had Kane, Toews, Keith
Boston had Chara, Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta
NYR more their goalie than a top notch skater. Closest is Panarin as a free agent.

Chicago now has Bedard. Again, let's see in 5 years or so where he is.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He’s one of the only Canadian hockey players any of my American friends can name. And that’s without them following hockey.

But of course everyone’s experience is likely to be different
If I walked up to everyone at work right now, there's like two people here who I'm confident would have heard that name before.

Meanwhile, almost all of them would know Shaq, LeBron James, Derek Jeter, Tom Brady, etc.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hockey isn't that popular outside of hockey fandom, as other sports have far more cultural cache in the United States and mostly abroad.

You don't really need to boil it down more than that. Football and baseball stars are going to be bigger in the US and soccer and basketball stars are going to be bigger everywhere.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
In addition to being an introvert it would help if he had won a Cup. Almost every major marketable athlete has won multiple titles in their sport. The one exception was LeBron James who was huge even before he won a Championship but winning multiple championships helped him as well.
I doubt them winning game 7 would have changed much. He'd still be overlooked. Maybe he gets some interview on one of ESPN's mindless daily shows the next day. That's about it.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Probably not winning the cup yet. I do find it fascinating that pretty much everyone that comes up in the draft still have Crosby as their favorite player. Once again it probably has to do with the cups, but by the time Crosby was McDavids age right now (or even like when he was 22) I feel like all the new kids coming up the draft had him as their idol.
I honestly don’t think I’ve heard any up and coming prospects list McDavid as their favorite, which is pretty strange

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
If I walked up to everyone at work right now, there's like two people here who I'm confident would have heard that name before.

Meanwhile, almost all of them would know Shaq, LeBron James, Derek Jeter, Tom Brady, etc.
Also, casuals would confuse him with this guy.

640px-Conor_McGregor_2018.jpg

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Probably not winning the cup yet. I do find it fascinating that pretty much everyone that comes up in the draft still have Crosby as their favorite player. Once again it probably has to do with the cups, but by the time Crosby was McDavids age right now (or even like when he was 22) I feel like all the new kids coming up the draft had him as their idol.
I honestly don’t think I’ve heard any up and coming prospects list McDavid as their favorite, which is pretty strange
To be fair, they are all afraid that saying nice things about Edmonton players will make Edmonton want to draft them.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I don't know how much of this is due to Edmonton as much as it is due to hockey in general. As hard as it is to admit, go to the average young person or young adult in Canada and ask them to name more than a few hockey players. Many cannot - it's not just that hockey is still #4 amongst the top 4 sports in North America, but also the incidence of young people playing hockey has waned over the years. Less kids playing, less people watching, and then an increase in Canada in the interest of basketball and the NBA...lots of factors.

That said, I think it could also be how the NHL markets their players. I have no idea what the US markets are like, but I am doubtful with NBA, MLB and especially NFL prevalent, that much attention would be given to hockey. I kid you not - I was talking with some friends from church recently - their daughters were talking sports and they are not sports people - they all knew who Caitlin Clark was, but none of them (like 0 out of 3) knew who Connor McDavid was. Only 1 out of 3 knew who Crosby was and that's only because she saw someone wearing a jersey at school.

The other leagues can saturate the media, not just TV and online, but also print media like magazines, newspapers, etc. with the athlete they want to market, and it's everywhere. Hockey neither has the ability to compete in the US market with those other sports. I am not convinced if McDavid was playing for the Rangers that we wouldn't still be having this conversation, though maybe to a smaller degree.

I remember watching the NHL all star game this past winter - my son's girlfriend got him tickets to take him for his birthday but I tuned it to see if I could see them. I was horrified to see the broadcast of players skating around with their names displayed on top of them. Then realized it was a US network broadcasting it. Likely realizing that to get new viewers they need to help these viewers see who is who and keep track of their movements. I noticed Matthews name was almost always following him around - even then I am doubtful outside some of the major hockey markets, that the average sports fan would even know who Auston Matthews is, and he's one of the Americans' own.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why doesn't everyone love my sport as much as I do?

Summer is summering.
Everyone always seems to want more exposure and I don't understand the notion that more growth is inherently good.

To an extent, sure.

I follow the WNBA. I just want the women to make good money. We're doing that. The average salary is trending to go over $200,000 per year in the next two years. The girls that are selling shoes and Gatorade are making millions. That's great. I'm very proud that the Liberty are averaging over 12,000 this year and that figure is over 10,000 even if you take out Caitlin Clark games. We have a nice little fanbase.

Do I need it to get any bigger? Not really. I'm in a nice little spot here. Would you rather A) Spend $150 for you and a guest to sit in the 10th row with 10,000 people who would die for the team or B) Spend $150 to sit by yourself in the upper bowl with tourists asking you how hockey works the whole game?

I've experienced choice B with the Rangers my entire life, and I can tell you for certain that growth is not always glamorous. My personal experience would be better if it were more niche. I could afford better seats at more games.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Probably more well known, but in terms, but are we talking significantly more well known?

Chicago had Kane, Toews, Keith
Boston had Chara, Marchand, Bergeron, Pasta
NYR more their goalie than a top notch skater. Closest is Panarin as a free agent.

Chicago now has Bedard. Again, let's see in 5 years or so where he is.
Kane was definitely well known outside of hockey fans.

Bedard, I’m not sure. He didn’t really burst onto the scene like Crosby or McDavid. He had a good rookie season but wasn’t a 100 point superstar at 18 like those 2 were.

If Chicago can become a contender in 5 years maybe.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hockey just never has taken as a marketable sport in the US. In the US when they run Gatorade "athlete montage" commercials, they cut Sidney Crosby out for the US audience because no one knows who the hell he is. That Canadian versions of those Gatorade ads have Crosby spliced in with the other athletes.

It just is what it is. Most of Crosby's marketing is in Canada (Tim Horton's especially).

In general, player-athlete marketing probably peaked in the 1990s with Michael Jordan and has been on a steady decline since. Look at Nike stock today is dropping because people are opting to buy what were once no-name brands.

I don't really follow baseball or NFL football even and could only name a few of the players (uhh ... Ohtani and Judge for baseball I guess ... Mahomes and Taylor Swift's BF for football). But back in the day it felt like everyone knew Ken Griffey Jr., Jose Canseco, Dan Marino, Derek Jeter, Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa, Roberto Alomar (in Canada), and I knew like Joe Montana, Troy Aikman, Deion Sanders, Emmett Smith, Bo Jackson, etc. in the NFL even if I didn't follow the sport.

LeBron James, Steph Curry are relatively well know but they've been playing forever, I feel like Michael Jordan (for sure), Shaq, Kobe, Dennis Rodman, even Charles Barkley were as popular or moreso in their heyday.

It just feels like there isn't as much non-sports touch points for athletes these days too. I knew Ken Griffey Jr. not because I liked baseball that much, but because of the Ken Griffey Jr. video games on the Super NES, that seems to be less of a thing now. I knew Dan Marino because he was in Ace Ventura with Jim Carey, etc. etc.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Those guys all won a ton of championships though.

Not saying he’d be as popular as Tom Brady or Jeter but if Mr Game 4 had won the cup this year that would have given him a huge boost.

Matthew Tkachuk is the guy appearing on ESPN NBA show, not McDoofus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad