Why did Quebec not get a team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
2 million ppl including the surrounding area is nothing. Utah has over 3 million not including the surrounding area.

Toronto has 2.6 million people. The gta is closer to 10 million ppl.

The jets are one of the least profitable teams in the league. The only good team that makes less $ is the panthers. The other teams that made less than them are: Buffalo, San Jose, Ottawa( another small market Canadian team), Arizona(obviously), and Columbus.

It’s a “bad take.” According to you’re economic expertise.

Atlanta to Winnipeg move probably saved 200 millions of losses in 10 years, that would have ultimately cost the teams via revenue sharing. I don’t think any owner complained.

my point isn’t that it would be a market like Toronto or Montreal. Just that it could be a breakeven operation like Winnipeg , with an added benefit of helping the Canadian tv deal (the real money maker ) with more Canadian games.

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Personally, I'd like to see a new version of the IHL form.

North American Conference
Canadian Division

Quebec City
Hamilton
Saskatoon
Halifax

American Division
Hartford
Baltimore
Milwaukee
Cleveland or Indianapolis

European Conference
Northern Division

Stockholm, Sweden
Helsinki, Finland
Copenhagen, Denmark/Malmo, Sweden (combined market)
Riga, Latvia or Oslo, Norway

Southern Division
Prague, Czechia
Vienna, Austria/Bratislava, Slovakia (combined market)
Munich, Germany
Zurich, Switzerland or Milan, Italy

• Haha
Reactions: Bixby Snyder

HockeyScotty

Sep 11, 2021
Atlanta to Winnipeg move probably saved 200 millions of losses in 10 years, that would have ultimately cost the teams via revenue sharing. I don’t think any owner complained.

my point isn’t that it would be a market like Toronto or Montreal. Just that it could be a breakeven operation like Winnipeg , with an added benefit of helping the Canadian tv deal (the real money maker ) with more Canadian games.
The details that I would like to see (that the NHL already knows in full detail) made public is the TV ratings currently in a market like Quebec City and what their advertising revenues are from those broadcast partners.

Yes, I believe that Quebec City would have a passionate fanbase in game day attendance and I appreciate the posts about disposable income which makes it look more appealing than the other smallest market: Winnipeg where we have seen ticket sales drop due to some economic and marketing issues.

What the conversation should be about is to what degree would their be an INCREMENTAL increase to the NHL revenue picture from the broadcast rights to have a team in that direct market versus the status quo and what the market for corporate sponsorship would look like; as compared to entering a new larger US market like Atlanta, Houston, etc.

So if the current greater Quebec City market (Capitale-Nationale region) has population of 757,950 or 839,311 using the Quebec Metropolitan Community definition (2021 census; used by Radio CBS website) and their TV Ratings are 30% x 800k = 240,000 viewers per game. If an NHL team moved that to 50% = 400,000; a 160,000 gain to the NHL broadcast package.

A new market like Atlanta might only get a 1% rating today but it's a 6,000,000 market so that is 60,000 viewers. A new team there might bump that up to 5% so that would be 300,000 viewers a gain of 240,000 new viewers. Then you factor in corporate sponsorships and USD$ vs CD$ and a merchandising market of 6,000,000 vs 800,000 and it quickly shows that IF DONE RIGHT; the larger markets like Atlanta, Houston, and Phoenix will be primary.

The 4th team is where things probably get a lot more nit-picky on numbers/projections and incremental impact.

Would a 2nd team in Greater Toronto Area be more beneficial, what about a 2nd team in the Chicago-Milwaukee market? The next largest standalone markets: San Diego, Portland, Baltimore, or return to Hartford? Go to mid-sized cities in the midwest that have a larger cachement area: Kansas City or Indianapolis.

Compared to the incremental increase in Quebec City that is when it will get interesting.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
Quebec is given opportunities to show they want a team every year during the preseason and they draw under 10k most of the time.

As @Shwag33 said, not enough corporate money, etc. plenty of reasons Quebec keeps getting left out.
Quebec regularly draws more than that to watch local Pee Wee teams play in Le Colisee every February. They can support an NHL team, comfortably, that's not the issue.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
Quebec regularly draws more than that to watch local Pee Wee teams play in Le Colisee every February. They can support an NHL team, comfortably, that's not the issue.
How many dates are those pee wee games on, what type of production values do those games have, how much does it cost to ice a pee wee team, and how much are the tickets?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It’s pee wee. It’s probably like 5 bucks for tickets or free. Lol

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

If the NHL did what they did for the Oilers, Coyotes etc for years, made a new owner keep the team in Atlanta vs allowing them to move asap, we'd see a different story.

Jets have shit attendance and aren't a bottom team. Atlanta had attendance, just awful owners. Huge difference in that situation. Bettman screwed Atlanta to bring the Jets back and the Jets barely have the attendance the Thrashers had their last few years whole being a better team in Canada because of hands off owners that weren't sabotaging the team.

I'd rather see Atlanta get a team than another Canadian one. For that bullshit they pulled on Atlanta, it's owed.

Reactions: Bixby Snyder

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
If the NHL did what they did for the Oilers, Coyotes etc for years, made a new owner keep the team in Atlanta vs allowing them to move asap, we'd see a different story.

Jets have shit attendance and aren't a bottom team. Atlanta had attendance, just awful owners. Huge difference in that situation. Bettman screwed Atlanta to bring the Jets back and the Jets barely have the attendance the Thrashers had their last few years whole being a better team in Canada because of hands off owners that weren't sabotaging the team.

I'd rather see Atlanta get a team than another Canadian one. For that bullshit they pulled on Atlanta, it's owed.

Preferring an NHL team in Atlanta versus Quebec is like saying Montreal would be a better NFL market then Kansas City, Indianapolis and Green Bay

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Preferring an NHL team in Atlanta versus Quebec is like saying Montreal would be a better NFL market then Kansas City, Indianapolis and Green Bay
Yet again, SIZE OF MARKET and MONEY is what matters. If Quebec has a group or individual ready to pay around $1.5B-2.0B, they may get a team. If not, then they don't.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Nah, a closer comparison to reality would be like saying "Montreal would be a better NFL market than El Paso, Baton Rouge, or Knoxville." And guess what? Montreal *would* be a better NFL market than places like that.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Yet again, SIZE OF MARKET and MONEY is what matters. If Quebec has a group or individual ready to pay around $1.5B-2.0B, they may get a team. If not, then they don't.
The south teams are the tiniest of tiny markets for NHL hockey. Go take a look at US viewership numbers in 2023 finals, then go look at Canadian numbers in 2021 and 2024.

When you have 50 fans for your Stanley Cup parade, you’re a tiny market.

Unfortunately, Quebec and Canada lacks the billionaire class of the US, so you’re right on that point. It won’t happen but as a fan, it should have, 10 years ago.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Taxes and having to speak French wouldn’t go over well with modern day prima Donna pro athletes. Shame would be awesome.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Nah, a closer comparison to reality would be like saying "Montreal would be a better NFL market than El Paso, Baton Rouge, or Knoxville." And guess what? Montreal *would* be a better NFL market than places like that.
Was just talking as a fan of the game. Atlanta have 0 hockey soul. We have enough of those

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The south teams are the tiniest of tiny markets for NHL hockey. Go take a look at US viewership numbers in 2023 finals, then go look at Canadian numbers in 2021 and 2024.

Unfortunately, Quebec and Canada lacks the billionaire class of the US, so you’re right on that point. It won’t happen but as a fan, it should have, 10 years ago.

Jets has a lower average attendance than their terrible predecessor in Atlanta had in all their years. So no, Canada as a whole doesnt automatically support a team more than a "southern team".

Quebec is a better hockey city, sure but it's not bigger in size or in dollars which is what counts.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Jets has a lower average attendance than their terrible predecessor in Atlanta had in all their years. So no, Canada as a whole doesnt automatically support a team more than a "southern team".

Quebec is a better hockey city, sure but it's not bigger in size or in dollars which is what counts.
Jets have a smaller rink and tickets are more expensive.

The Jets never lost money despite spending to the cap.

The Trashers lost 130M USD in their last 6 years of operation and if I remember correctly, they weren’t spending to the cap.

Reactions: MessierII

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Jets have a smaller rink and tickets are more expensive.

The Jets never lost money despite spending to the cap.

The Trashers lost 130M USD in their last 6 years of operation and if I remember correctly, they weren’t spending to the cap.

How much have Jets lost on hockey operations alone? Because thats the number you are giving for the Thrashers. And as the article alludes to, Jets have lost money on Hockey ops but kept afloat by other business.

Now you are comparing teriible incompetent owners vs competent ones. Not the argument that was discussed.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

The bigger reason why it won't happen is because the NHL has repeatedly said they are looking to grow the game of hockey. The Atlanta metro area is 6.3 million people. Houston metro is over 7 million. Put a team in either location, and there is a lot of untapped potential to attract new fans to the game. Where can you put a team in Canada that has that kind of growth potential, and wouldn't simply be existing NHL fans rooting for a new team?

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
It’s pee wee. It’s probably like 5 bucks for tickets or free. Lol
Correct. The point was that the place breathes hockey. There's not another city on earth that has the tradition running that deep. And to the other poster: I was responding to someone who claimed that low attendance at a couple of exhibition games was a sign that they wouldn't draw.

They would draw fans, extraordinarily passionate ones, and if there are issues, that's not one of them.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The bigger reason why it won't happen is because the NHL has repeatedly said they are looking to grow the game of hockey. The Atlanta metro area is 6.3 million people. Houston metro is over 7 million. Put a team in either location, and there is a lot of untapped potential to attract new fans to the game. Where can you put a team in Canada that has that kind of growth potential, and wouldn't simply be existing NHL fans rooting for a new team?
Don't forget that Jeremy Jacobs vetoed the Nordiques to get in back in 1979. That's one vote against. Canadiens vote is heavily influenced by bribes/indemnity, not uncommon for the Montreal region, politically.

There may be other owners who don't have any interest in QC, some of whom have something to gain from expansion (beyond Jacobs, Anschultz have some sway in American arena management rights).

Atlanta gets a team with a rink. Doesn't look good on Bettman moving a team from Atlanta to Winnipeg, and having them struggle now to fill their rink. Arizona is a market the league fought for. If an NBA owner expresses interest in the market, I think that gets the league's attention.

I think Hamilton would get the next Canadian team before Quebec, just based on demographics, and earning potential.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Don't forget that Jeremy Jacobs vetoed the Nordiques to get in back in 1979. That's one vote against. Canadiens vote is heavily influenced by bribes/indemnity, not uncommon for the Montreal region, politically.

There may be other owners who don't have any interest in QC, some of whom have something to gain from expansion (beyond Jacobs, Anschultz have some sway in American arena management rights).

Atlanta gets a team with a rink. Doesn't look good on Bettman moving a team from Atlanta to Winnipeg, and having them struggle now to fill their rink. Arizona is a market the league fought for. If an NBA owner expresses interest in the market, I think that gets the league's attention.

I think Hamilton would get the next Canadian team before Quebec, just based on demographics, and earning potential.
Hamilton will never happen because of the Leafs

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Hamilton will never happen because of the Leafs
I feel like Rogers takeover of Maple Leafs will leave Bell looking for a team now, and that's about as amicable as the two cable giants will split here in Canada. Bell could take a bigger share in Montreal, conceivably, but Southern Ontario without a doubt has the potential to support 2 NHL franchises, and give a little bit extra to Buffalo for being in their region, so to speak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad