Line Combos: Who's our backup goalie and bottom 6 forwards for the 2019-2020 season?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think Bob is the safest bet to sign as well. What's great about Panarin is Columbus biting the bullet and keeping him at the deadline. Now we get a chance to land a truly elite player at no cost.

And Manson coming here would be a dream fit for us, he'd be my ideal pick too. Sad to say it looks like Anaheim isn't interested in moving him though. Gonna be interesting to see who we we'll land.

GR mentioned Ryan Murray on Columbus as an example of a Top 4D we'd potentially land, i'm for it.

If CBJ misses the playoffs, you think Duchene will re-sign? I'm keeping an eye on them for many reasons, to see if the all-in move implodes in their face, how well Bob and AP look in playoffs and if Duchene re-signs.

Ya ANA moving Montour threw a huge audible into the Manson plan. They aren't stacked with RD at all and we don't have a great RD prospect who's NHL ready to offer up.

What other realistic RD options do you see? Murray is an option for sure, curious what he will get as a RFA. He isn't overly physical but does block shots, does majority of DZ starts while providing some offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flooven

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Surprised that would even cross your mind considering how much you love Trocheck! ;)
Just asking a question, bet yer ass I love Vincent Trocheck!
I think Lou shouldn't be counted on to play more than 20/25 next season whether it's Bob or Monty.

That's why I think Monty should get more starts this year - season is over, give him some NHL experience
Big reason to try him vs this Boston team so we can tell if we even need Bob Howieor whoever else(NOT SMITH)...but I'm afraid were gonna see everyone from this year stick around

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
If CBJ misses the playoffs, you think Duchene will re-sign? I'm keeping an eye on them for many reasons, to see if the all-in move implodes in their face, how well Bob and AP look in playoffs and if Duchene re-signs.

Ya ANA moving Montour threw a huge audible into the Manson plan. They aren't stacked with RD at all and we don't have a great RD prospect who's NHL ready to offer up.

What other realistic RD options do you see? Murray is an option for sure, curious what he will get as a RFA. He isn't overly physical but does block shots, does majority of DZ starts while providing some offense.

Great question. I'm honestly really curious on who we go with. Missing that second piece on the blue line with Matheson killed us. Need an experienced guy that plays a sound defensive game. Nothing fancy needed. Vegas and TB both seem like good trade partners to me, but who knows. Although I remember reading something about Tallon having his eye on a certain dman already. Idk why this move excites me more than Panarin/Bob lmfao

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Great question. I'm honestly really curious on who we go with. Missing that second piece on the blue line with Matheson killed us. Need an experienced guy that plays a sound defensive game. Nothing fancy needed. Vegas and TB both seem like good trade partners to me, but who knows. Although I remember reading something about Tallon having his eye on a certain dman already. Idk why this move excites me more than Panarin/Bob lmfao

Who on VGK/TB do you fancy?
I like Cernak (TB) a lot. He needs to work on skating more but he's a hit machine, young and could be a decent #4 on a ELC for next year and 5-6 yr x $4 million type deal ahead. Doubt he's available but they have Foote as a RD prospect too and he's doing pretty good in the AHL.

Hedman - McDonaugh
Serg - Foote is a pretty solid top 4 going forward.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
There’s a pretty damn good power forward available via UFA michael ferland who can actually play. Anyone else see him as a fit?

Also so much arguing back n forth about whether it’s our D or Goalies’ fault. It sounds like we’re going to upgrade both anyway, so who cares. Let’s just see what happens in the offseason. If we can land Bobrovsky and a physical shutdown Dman, it’s going to fix a lot of problems with this roster.

Then if we’re lucky enough to land Panarin even better. If we’re lucky enough to lure a coach Q, even better better.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
There’s a pretty damn good power forward available via UFA michael ferland who can actually play. Anyone else see him as a fit?

Also so much arguing back n forth about whether it’s our D or Goalies’ fault. It sounds like we’re going to upgrade both anyway, so who cares. Let’s just see what happens in the offseason. If we can land Bobrovsky and a physical shutdown Dman, it’s going to fix a lot of problems with this roster.

Then if we’re lucky enough to land Panarin even better. If we’re lucky enough to lure a coach Q, even better better.

I don't mind Ferland, but it'll be a brutal contract, so as long as we can come to terms with that lol

Also, I feel like Tallon is going to go nuts on the draft floor...look for significant moves to be made.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
I don't mind Ferland, but it'll be a brutal contract, so as long as we can come to terms with that lol

Also, I feel like Tallon is going to go nuts on the draft floor...look for significant moves to be made.

Well we need something to look forward to and new things to complain about. So I'm for it lol.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So are we totally sure we need Panarin here? Feel Bob and a top 4 D man may be enough and allows to have more cap flexibility. Not saying we dont need another top 6 forward but do we need Panarin at 10 million?

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
So are we totally sure we need Panarin here? Feel Bob and a top 4 D man may be enough and allows to have more cap flexibility. Not saying we dont need another top 6 forward but do we need Panarin at 10 million?

We can do a Dman, Bob, add a good 3rd line forward, and re-sign both Daddy and Hoffman. There are so many options to go with over the summer. I hope Tallon looks at this from different angles, before jumping straight for Panarin and Bob.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I would personally grab Panarin and Bob then trade Hoffman + for a D. Team would be AMAZING.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
We can do a Dman, Bob, add a good 3rd line forward, and re-sign both Daddy and Hoffman. There are so many options to go with over the summer. I hope Tallon looks at this from different angles, before jumping straight for Panarin and Bob.

Should we re-sign Dadonov? I worry more about him than Hoffman the next 3-5 years. He's been snake bit but also just looks lost when he isnt producing. Guess itll depend on what his agent asks for but I wouldn't offer more than 4 x $5.5 million tbh.

I agree, dont make it seem like Panarin is the top priority. Bob would be more important and then the D upgrade.

What D-man would you be after?

I would personally grab Panarin and Bob then trade Hoffman + for a D. Team would be AMAZING.

Kinda dont want to trade Hoffman and his 35 goal shot. I think Tippett and Vatrano could ease the loss if we did trade him but he's been pretty steady in his office and just feel with the growth of our forward prospects, adding a top line forward may not be necessary. Sort of leaning towards a gritty 2nd/3rd line guy who can help when the games get tough down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, part of me wants to see Panarin here but I also want more grit and toughness in the forward group too. A better version of McGinn if possible. Ferland?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
If we sign Panarin, he'd be our best offensive player. It's very rare that you can do something like that and it's even rarer that a guy like that might want to play for the Panthers. To me, it's a no brainer. This team needs to get in the playoffs and you do that with talent. Toughness is important in the playoffs, but during the regular season, it's mostly insignificant. And I'd rather overpay for a mediocre tough 3rd liner once we can consistently make the playoffs.

I'd rather get a cheaper goalie + Panarin + Dman instead of Bob + 3rd liner + Dman.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
OT question: Is anyone in agreement and its not clear cut for me... Trade Trocheck 100% keep Hoffman. We just don't need him, especially if we are making a run for Panarin or a Solid D man.
He took some rough penalty's at awful moments in last nights game.

Also it seemed like he got quite a lot of ice time, could this be to showcase him for a trade ? It seems like this season when we saw unusually more play from someone they end up getting traded in the near future.

Thoughts ?

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018

Id rather trade Trocheck and X then Hoffman. He has had a tough time on 5v5 and learning to pass and look for open guys vs just being a sniper. However he is adjusting quickly to being a better all around player and quickly. He is passing much more and making plays.

I wish I could say the same for Trocheck. I love him and his off ice presence is huge, but it seems like he just tries to carry in solo every time he gets the puck and turns it over....

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Should we re-sign Dadonov? I worry more about him than Hoffman the next 3-5 years. He's been snake bit but also just looks lost when he isnt producing. Guess itll depend on what his agent asks for but I wouldn't offer more than 4 x $5.5 million tbh.

It's easy to say Hoff over Dadonov at the moment because he is having a career year and Dads is struggling. But Dadonov was a beast last year and still is a more complete player and creates more.

Also what happens if Hoffman starts to struggle on the PP? Trocheck had a monster last year yet people still complained because he scored so many points off the PP. Well Hoffman is scoring nearly 50% of his points on the PP right now which is way more than Tro ever did.

Reactions: klabob

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Id rather trade Trocheck and X then Hoffman. He has had a tough time on 5v5 and learning to pass and look for open guys vs just being a sniper. However he is adjusting quickly to being a better all around player and quickly. He is passing much more and making plays.

I wish I could say the same for Trocheck. I love him and his off ice presence is huge, but it seems like he just tries to carry in solo every time he gets the puck and turns it over....

Trocheck is nowhere near the player he was last year. He's clearly struggling with his skating and doesn't seem to have any lower body strength.

Also Zero chance Tro goes before Hoffman. No more reason needed than he's a center and Hoff is a winger. And it's would be pretty stupid to sell low on him even if they did consider moving him.

Reactions: klabob

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If we sign Panarin, he'd be our best offensive player. It's very rare that you can do something like that and it's even rarer that a guy like that might want to play for the Panthers. To me, it's a no brainer. This team needs to get in the playoffs and you do that with talent. Toughness is important in the playoffs, but during the regular season, it's mostly insignificant. And I'd rather overpay for a mediocre tough 3rd liner once we can consistently make the playoffs.

I'd rather get a cheaper goalie + Panarin + Dman instead of Bob + 3rd liner + Dman.

Panarin better be the Conn Smythe winner if we lift the Cup. Been watching him lately and he doesnt wow me like the hype built up around him. Just hoping Tallon doesnt roll out a blank check and can get both SB/AP for under $20million combined.

It's easy to say Hoff over Dadonov at the moment because he is having a career year and Dads is struggling. But Dadonov was a beast last year and still is a more complete player and creates more.

Also what happens if Hoffman starts to struggle on the PP? Trocheck had a monster last year yet people still complained because he scored so many points off the PP. Well Hoffman is scoring nearly 50% of his points on the PP right now which is way more than Tro ever did.

For sure, both could struggle next year, dont feel we need both Hoff and Dads long term. Hoff is basically stealing all of Tro's PP goals.
I agree Dads is the better 5 on 5 player but I shudder to think where we would be if we didnt havent Hoffs shot on the PP this year. Probably would have helped us get a top 5 pick if he wasnt here but just dont think both should be re-signed. So curious how this will play out.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Panarin better be the Conn Smythe winner if we lift the Cup. Been watching him lately and he doesnt wow me like the hype built up around him. Just hoping Tallon doesnt roll out a blank check and can get both SB/AP for under $20million combined.

For sure, both could struggle next year, dont feel we need both Hoff and Dads long term. Hoff is basically stealing all of Tro's PP goals.
I agree Dads is the better 5 on 5 player but I shudder to think where we would be if we didnt havent Hoffs shot on the PP this year. Probably would have helped us get a top 5 pick if he wasnt here but just dont think both should be re-signed. So curious how this will play out.
I really don't care who lift the Conn Smythe if we win, we can't even make the playoffs. Pysyk could be lifting it for all I care, I'd probably be running in the street and too excited to even notice the Conn Smythe exist. Maybe he doesn't impress you, plenty of people are not impressed with Huberdeau or Barkov and that's fine. They are still great players, same goes with Panarin.

Our PP was ranked 21st last season and this year it is 2nd. So no, he isn't stealing Tro's goals, he's scoring where neither Tro nor anyone else on the team was.
I really don't care who we should re-sign, we'll see next season and I wouldn't trade either in the offseason. I want this team to be stacked for next season.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I really don't care who lift the Conn Smythe if we win, we can't even make the playoffs. Pysyk could be lifting it for all I care, I'd probably be running in the street and too excited to even notice the Conn Smythe exist. Maybe he doesn't impress you, plenty of people are not impressed with Huberdeau or Barkov and that's fine. They are still great players, same goes with Panarin.

Our PP was ranked 21st last season and this year it is 2nd. So no, he isn't stealing Tro's goals, he's scoring where neither Tro nor anyone else on the team was.
I really don't care who we should re-sign, we'll see next season and I wouldn't trade either in the offseason. I want this team to be stacked for next season.

Just meant hes stealing Tros goal in the sense Tro was the PP goal leader last year. All the main PP players are on pace to set new records in PP pts. But I keep reading our PP success is not sustainable? Dont see why not especially if Tippett makes the team and gets time on the 2nd PP unit.

I agree, we all want a stacked team, just need to be a bit firm and not roll over to Panarins demands. $9.5 million per year is more than fair.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Just meant hes stealing Tros goal in the sense Tro was the PP goal leader last year. All the main PP players are on pace to set new records in PP pts. But I keep reading our PP success is not sustainable? Dont see why not especially if Tippett makes the team and gets time on the 2nd PP unit.

I agree, we all want a stacked team, just need to be a bit firm and not roll over to Panarins demands. $9.5 million per year is more than fair.

I feel like hoff has had a huge impact on our power play. He's good at keeping the puck in play and then kind of sneaks away for a bit before getting a pass for his cannon shot. Everyone knows its coming but he's still about to do it, pretty impressive.

The advanced stats are not favorable for our power play, like % shooting chances and we have a high shooting percentage which is usually considered not sustainable, plus we give up more shorthanded goals and chances, but the eye test tells me we have a pretty good power play when hoff is out there.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Our power play was simply middling until Trocheck got hurt and Hoffman was placed on the top unit.

We started with the 5 forward debacle and went 0/18

Then we did Huberdeau Barkov Dadonov Yandle Trocheck

Then we tried Dadonov Barkov Hoffman Yandle Trocheck

We stayed middling to below average.

When Trocheck went down we went with the unit we have now and we boomed. Besides his finishing ability, the amount of space he creates is crazy. Defenders worry about his shot a lot which sets up space on the side opposite of where he currently is.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Watching our top guys fly last night, that’s a stacked offense. If you have a chance to add panarin, you do it, especially adding him to the existing group.

Yes we need goaltending badly, and I’m not really on the Monty camp just yet (for backup, yes). But if he can supply just average goaltending, then I go for panarin over bob anyday. We can always trade for a cheaper option, someone who may not be as good as bob but not nearly as expensive. When was the last time a Stanley cup winner had a goalie with a cap of 8+?

Add panarin, keep our existing guys for at least this upcoming season. Use the rest of the money (the money that would go to bob) to get a middle of the road goalie with Monty backing up (preferably, even tho I doubt Luongo retires), and trading picks and prospects for a top-4 D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad