Line Combos: Who's our backup goalie and bottom 6 forwards for the 2019-2020 season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Why would STL do that? They want to win now and would most likely prefer to have Trouba over picks and prospects.

For sure they can hold onto Pietro as their own rental and risk letting him walk. They have a young RD in San Antonio putting up solid numbers. They can always trade some of their forward prospects for a young RD that has top 4 potential. Not sure if they have a ton of capspace to pay Trouba a big deal?

The 3 way trade is hard enough as it is let alone having two teams trade their stud D in the same division. That's why I feel Manson would be an easier trade.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I'd stay away from Byufglien to be honest. He relies on physicallity and I fear his breakdown is imminent ala Lucic. Though he is a defenseman so it wouldnt be as bad.

Pietroangelo WAS available when they were sucking, but that changed.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
If the ducks are going into a rebuild, after trading montour is imagine if they wanna move one more D they’d prefer it to be Fowler and retain lindholm and Manson. But Fowler is under contract longer, Manson would be easier to move, and could get potentially a better return.

We have plenty of picks to work with along with denisenko, Tippett, heponiemi, Borgstrom (unlikely), and Noel.

Ground will cost too much cap wise, pesce I don’t think will get moved. He’s valuable to begin with, with that contract he’s even more valuable, they probably wouldn’t trade him for huberdeau. They’d try and move Hamilton and keep Slavic and pesce I’m sure.

Get Manson, pair him with yandle on the top line. Pair Ekblad with matheson on the second and let him Ekblad run that line, matheson should focus more on D, let Ekblad make the majority of the outlet passes

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
Well we need 3 upgrades (SG, T4D and T6F) in terms of players. 2 of those are rumored to come here without giving up assets (possibly mid picks for negotiating rights) and a new possible coach whether that's Boughner or Capuano.

Bobrovsky should be the easiest to land, we have the assets to land a top 4 RD and the free agent winger group is not bad. Just curious why you dont feel they can pull it off?

There's gonna be a lot of teams going after Panarin, its far from guaranteed that him and Bob both sign here. Sure we're in the conversation, but you never know what happens in free agency.

If that comes together, we still have to trade some serious capital for a top 4 defenseman. Yeah we have the assets, but Tallon never trades his first round picks. Which means possibly settling for a budget option, or moving a productive forward to get what we want. Wouldn't be happy doing either. Ideally, I'd like to see Tallon nut up and trade a 1st+prospect if it means getting the right guy.

This would be the biggest offseason in franchise history as far as acquisitions go. I'm wishful but not getting my jammies in a twist yet. This is the Panthers we're talking about here.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
There's gonna be a lot of teams going after Panarin, its far from guaranteed that him and Bob both sign here. Sure we're in the conversation, but you never know what happens in free agency.

If that comes together, we still have to trade some serious capital for a top 4 defenseman. Yeah we have the assets, but Tallon never trades his first round picks. Which means possibly settling for a budget option, or moving a productive forward to get what we want. Wouldn't be happy doing either. Ideally, I'd like to see Tallon nut up and trade a 1st+prospect if it means getting the right guy.

This would be the biggest offseason in franchise history as far as acquisitions go. I'm wishful but not getting my jammies in a twist yet. This is the Panthers we're talking about here.

All fair points, the goaltender and defenseman are more important than Panarin though as the winger market is bigger. Definitely more likely Bob signs here out of the 3 big upgrades imo. Signing one of Bob or Panarin would only help the allure of someone else signing or accepting a deal here no? Manson is my D choice because he cant block a trade and doesnt have to be protected in expansion.

Yes Tallon does need to finally pull the trigger on a big trade. If he drafts another forward with the 2019 1st, he can be fired even if we make the playoffs next year.

Theres only one or two D in the top 10 mock drafts and a lot of teams ahead of us need D.
Feel most teams will be after Tippett/Heponeimi more than Denisenko but I'm fine with offering up the 2019 1st + Denisenko + 2020 2nd + Malgin + Pysyk/Reimer for that D upgrade. Both the pick and Denny are 2-3 years away from making any big impact on the team.

Tallon has never been shy to sign/overpay UFAs which gives me some confidence he can sign at least one of Bob/Panarin/top 6 forward so that leaves the trade. I'm also confident with Tallon when it comes to trades, feel this is his biggest strength. Hes just never done one with offering up such a futures based package. Time will tell but 2/3 upgrades should be fairly easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flooven

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
[...]

Yes Tallon does need to finally pull the trigger on a big trade. If he drafts another forward with the 2019 1st, he can be fired even if we make the playoffs next year.

Theres only one or two D in the top 10 mock drafts and a lot of teams ahead of us need D.
Feel most teams will be after Tippett/Heponeimi more than Denisenko but I'm fine with offering up the 2019 1st + Denisenko + 2020 2nd + Malgin + Pysyk/Reimer for that D upgrade. Both the pick and Denny are 2-3 years away from making any big impact on the team.
Out of curiosity - what would you do if we got lucky in the lottery and got the 3rd overall pick?
By the general consensus, the best Dman in the draft is Byram who has been ranked around the 4-8 spot. Most draft sides say that after Hughes and Kakko, the group between 3-9 is quite close. Obviously there's still a lot of time left but if the draft was right now and you had the 3rd overall pick, what would you do with it? Grab the BPA whether that's Byram or not (which is generally considered the best strategy with these top picks)? Grab Byram even if he isn't the BPA? Try to trade down just a spot or two hoping to still grab him? Trade down more to grab one of the other first round Dmen while getting another late first round or second round pick? Or trade the pick away completely (this is generall advised against but it would be a very strong trade chip and we do need that D upgrade)?

I mean it won't happen. Would be interesting though.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Out of curiosity - what would you do if we got lucky in the lottery and got the 3rd overall pick?
By the general consensus, the best Dman in the draft is Byram who has been ranked around the 4-8 spot. Most draft sides say that after Hughes and Kakko, the group between 3-9 is quite close. Obviously there's still a lot of time left but if the draft was right now and you had the 3rd overall pick, what would you do with it? Grab the BPA whether that's Byram or not (which is generally considered the best strategy with these top picks)? Grab Byram even if he isn't the BPA? Try to trade down just a spot or two hoping to still grab him? Trade down more to grab one of the other first round Dmen while getting another late first round or second round pick? Or trade the pick away completely (this is generall advised against but it would be a very strong trade chip and we do need that D upgrade)?

Tough question!! Give me the rest of the work day to figure it out my plan of attack. What would you do?

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
;)

We're actually getting the 1st overall pick!;)

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'd stay away from Byufglien to be honest. He relies on physicallity and I fear his breakdown is imminent ala Lucic. Though he is a defenseman so it wouldnt be as bad.

Pietroangelo WAS available when they were sucking, but that changed.
Haha I'm gonna want him in a Panthers jersey until he retires!

Remember he's very useful on the PP too

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

I'd grab BPA unless that's a winger, we have drafted a lot of them recently. So either a center or a dman, whoever that is. I wouldn't reach for anyone or overthink things. Our center prospect pool is abysmal, worst than our defensive one imo. We'll need to replace Trocheck soon enough since I don't think we'll be able to afford him and Barkov and just losing him to UFA would be a tragic mistake.

I certainly wouldn't trade the number 3 pick for anything other than a young "top pairing" dman with lots of term on his contract, which is unrealistic imo. (guys like Heiskanen, Klingberg, Slavin, Parayko, Jones, Ellis, Sergachev, Provorov, Sanheim)

Dnigly13

Jun 21, 2017
I'd grab BPA unless that's a winger, we have drafted a lot of them recently. So either a center or a dman, whoever that is. I wouldn't reach for anyone or overthink things. Our center prospect pool is abysmal, worst than our defensive one imo. We'll need to replace Trocheck soon enough since I don't think we'll be able to afford him and Barkov and just losing him to UFA would be a tragic mistake.

I certainly wouldn't trade the number 3 pick for anything other than a young "top pairing" dman with lots of term on his contract, which is unrealistic imo. (guys like Heiskanen, Klingberg, Slavin, Parayko, Jones, Ellis, Sergachev, Provorov, Sanheim)
If Columbus loses their FA, maybe we can get Jones? Take BPA not a winger.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012

There’s only 5 guys that I truly care about in the draft. Hughes, kakko, byram, cozens, and podkolzin. After that it’s open. If we got 3rd and Hughes and kakko are off the board, I’d trade it (obviously depends on the return but I assume itd garner a good return). No more waiting for prospects, our prime time to compete is now. We’ve done this song and dance long enough. All three of those remaining guys I’m sure will end up being fantastic, but I’d trade it. If we kept it I’d take cozens or byram. Podkolzin has the highest ceiling imo but is a little more risky. With high picks I prefer to go for the safer picks.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@PSLguy so is Bednard is another year away from even possibly coming around...Sam and Lu for next year sounds like the plan. I still wouldn't ever be opposed to drafting another G.

My problem is relying on Lu's health whether or not he plays 30 or 40.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
There’s only 5 guys that I truly care about in the draft. Hughes, kakko, byram, cozens, and podkolzin. After that it’s open. If we got 3rd and Hughes and kakko are off the board, I’d trade it (obviously depends on the return but I assume itd garner a good return). No more waiting for prospects, our prime time to compete is now. We’ve done this song and dance long enough. All three of those remaining guys I’m sure will end up being fantastic, but I’d trade it. If we kept it I’d take cozens or byram. Podkolzin has the highest ceiling imo but is a little more risky. With high picks I prefer to go for the safer picks.
I'm surprised you are higher on Cozens and Podkolzin than Turcotte.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
You'd rather we had Jones than Barkov?

He didnt say that. He is saying Seth Jones is untouchable for them, just like Barkov who is untouchable for us.

And in a vaccuum, A #1 D is just as if not more important than a #1 C depending on the make up of your team. So to some, Jones is more important than Barkov but not to others.

Reactions: I am not exposed

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Tough question!! Give me the rest of the work day to figure it out my plan of attack. What would you do?
I pretty much agree with what Klabob wrote (he's right about our prospect depth at C being just as bad or worse than our D-depth). So grab the BPA unless it's a winger and no trading down unless we're sure we can still get our guy there.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I pretty much agree with what Klabob wrote (he's right about our prospect depth at C being just as bad or worse than our D-depth). So grab the BPA unless it's a winger and no trading down unless we're sure we can still get our guy there.

Sounds about right, pick the BPA and you're basically forced to trade one of the forward prospects + 2020 pick//OR//Hoffman + for a top 4 RD upgrade.

Only way I trade down is if we flip picks with a team inside the top 10 while getting a top 4 RD with us adding a pick/prospect to even it out.
Ex: FLA 3rd OV + 2020 2nd round pick + mid level prospect (Malgin/McCoshen) + Pysyk/Reimer for Manson + #6-9.
The market for this type trade would be so small so it's very unlikely.

We could still draft a decent C with middle 6 potential (who can replace Tro if he's traded later or walks in FA) or one of the D prospects (but most of them are LD, would prefer a RD) in that 6-9 slot . As much as we need to stock the farm on defense, feel we can skip a year and bring in the prime aged RD now in trade, the mid round picks will be used for more C, D and G. Need to learn how to start drafting outside the top 10 if we're going to be a consistent playoff team.
As Klabob said, most of the prime aged defenders he mentioned, the GM's would prefer to hold onto their stud D who are producing now.

Doubt any GM really ever trades a top 3 pick but of course it's way easier to trade it from #6 or beyond. Only thing is, we've seen tons of top 10 picks moved 4-5 years into their career and before they become UFA's so it's all based on the team's current state of build.
Just ready to see Tallon pull of a futures based deal and as long as it's outside the top 3 pick which is very likely, I'm for trading it to bring in the RD upgrade.

Last edited:

Flooven

Nov 21, 2018
SoFla
All fair points, the goaltender and defenseman are more important than Panarin though as the winger market is bigger. Definitely more likely Bob signs here out of the 3 big upgrades imo. Signing one of Bob or Panarin would only help the allure of someone else signing or accepting a deal here no? Manson is my D choice because he cant block a trade and doesnt have to be protected in expansion.

Tallon has never been shy to sign/overpay UFAs which gives me some confidence he can sign at least one of Bob/Panarin/top 6 forward so that leaves the trade. I'm also confident with Tallon when it comes to trades, feel this is his biggest strength. Hes just never done one with offering up such a futures based package. Time will tell but 2/3 upgrades should be fairly easy.

I think Bob is the safest bet to sign as well. What's great about Panarin is Columbus biting the bullet and keeping him at the deadline. Now we get a chance to land a truly elite player at no cost.

And Manson coming here would be a dream fit for us, he'd be my ideal pick too. Sad to say it looks like Anaheim isn't interested in moving him though. Gonna be interesting to see who we we'll land.

GR mentioned Ryan Murray on Columbus as an example of a Top 4D we'd potentially land, i'm for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePatientPanther

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I'm wondering what our first round + Trocheck might bring in if it looks like we ain't keeping him past a couple years...

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
@PSLguy so is Bednard is another year away from even possibly coming around...Sam and Lu for next year sounds like the plan. I still wouldn't ever be opposed to drafting another G.

My problem is relying on Lu's health whether or not he plays 30 or 40.

I think Lou shouldn't be counted on to play more than 20/25 next season whether it's Bob or Monty.

That's why I think Monty should get more starts this year - season is over, give him some NHL experience

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad