Line Combos: Who's our backup goalie and bottom 6 forwards for the 2019-2020 season?

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Do you want a left side composed of; Yandle, Matheson and Gardiner :naughty:
tenor.gif

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
I am having a hard time understanding how we have the cap space add a top 4 D, Bread, a No. 1 goalie and resign a couple of forwards. Thoughts?
It isn't unless Luongo retires. Only way you can bring in Hoff, Bob, and a dman is if he's gone. Otherwise Hoffman has to be traded.

Dnigly13

Jun 21, 2017
My thought is you need to trade pysyk and Reimer for cap reasons for 2020-2021 season. Lu can be a back up next year if needed the needs to retire (also this is best for the cap).

Lineup should look like this
Fowards
Hubby Barky Dads
Bread Borg Hoffman
Vatrano Tro (Tippett/FA/McGinn)
Hunt Shehan Hawk

Bench
Colton
Tippett/FA/McGinn

Defense
Math Ekblad
Yandle FA/Trade
Weeger Brown

Bench
McChosen/FA/Other internal option

Goalie

FA
Lu/Monty

Goalie is the biggest option to get creative. If Monty could be the starter next year or 20/21, 21/22 season it would be a shame to sign Bob to 6 years and have the wasted cap space for 3 years. Ideal situation is to sign a goalie in FA for 3 years and allow Monty to ease in.

Also, potentially, Lu can be your back up in 20/21 playing 20 games. If he gets hurt or does not have "it", then he goes on LTIR and Monty becomes the back up, but I do not want Monty sitting in the NHL for 20 games played next 3 years.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I know Panarin is rated as a top five player in the league. He has 25 goals and 50 assists so far this year.

Is he with close to double Hoffman's salary next year and several million for 5 or 6 years after that?
Comparatively? Not worth it. Hoff is more valuable, given the prices.

But, why not have both...why is it always either or....?

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
I know Panarin is rated as a top five player in the league. He has 25 goals and 50 assists so far this year.

Is he with close to double Hoffman's salary next year and several million for 5 or 6 years after that?
Hoffman will be 7-7.5 million. Is an extra 2-3 million per year worth a better player that's 2 years younger? Yes for me.

Comparatively? Not worth it. Hoff is more valuable, given the prices.

But, why not have both...why is it always either or....?

Again the price won't be far off. And they can't have both unless Lu retires, which I'm assuming he's not at this point. If he does, we can get everyone. But if he doesn't and they sign Panarin and keep Hoffman, they are either not signing a dman or goalie, and they need both.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
Do we know have enough cap space / picks or young talent to trade in order to get Panarin keep Hoff and get a solid D man and goalie ?

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
That was my assumption

I went over the numbers earlier here, and in a previous thread. We will be a shade over $21 million with a projected $83 million cap next season. Bob and Panarin will cost us $19 million at the most IMO, then you have your RFAs you need to re-sign as well. Our best option, if we were to sign those two, would be to trade Reimer without retaining salary, and Lou either retires or goes to LTIR. Even then, we would still need to move someone in order to gain the cap space to add a Dman.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I went over the numbers earlier here, and in a previous thread. We will be a shade over $21 million with a projected $83 million cap next season. Bob and Panarin will cost us $19 million at the most IMO, then you have your RFAs you need to re-sign as well. Our best option, if we were to sign those two, would be to trade Reimer without retaining salary, and Lou either retires or goes to LTIR. Even then, we would still need to move someone in order to gain the cap space to add a Dman.

Yeah, it definitely won't be 'easy'.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Cap with Lu retired and Reimer bought out (worst case scenario as they can't move him) is a shade over 58.5 million. Pysyk is easily moved unretained at 2.7 million. That puts Florida at 55.8 million. I see 18 million combined for Panarin/Bob so that puts Florida at 63.8 million. No notable UFAs/RFAs. Florida would have almost 10 million, that's more than enough for a dman and to sign depth bodies.

Reactions: EnforceTheLaus

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Gotcha assuming Luongo retires which seems like a toss up at this point we may be in good shape.

**** hire Luo to some front office position make him an offer to retire and stay with the organization.

Don't think he's done. But since his twitter acc is the most entertaining one leaguewide he should definitely take over the teams twitter account once he retires:D

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Cap with Lu retired and Reimer bought out (worst case scenario as they can't move him) is a shade over 58.5 million. Pysyk is easily moved unretained at 2.7 million. That puts Florida at 55.8 million. I see 18 million combined for Panarin/Bob so that puts Florida at 63.8 million. No notable UFAs/RFAs. Florida would have almost 10 million, that's more than enough for a dman and to sign depth bodies.

Your math is wrong.

55.8 + 18 is 73.8, not 63.8

Add to that the RFAs we need to sign, and we will be very tight with cap space.

Here is part of my previous thread, with corrected cap number:

$61.95 million current cap
$83 million projected cap
$21.05 million cap space

Panarin - yr/$10 million AAV
Bob $8 - million AAV
Sheahan - $1.7 million AAV
Hawryluk - $1 million AAV
McCoshen - $1.3 million AAV
Weegar - $1.1 million AAV
Brouwer - $1.1 million AAV

$24.2 million total
$3.1 million over cap

Luongo $4.5 million cap hit ($1.288 cap hit if he retires)
Reimer $3.7 million cap hit ($960k cap hit if bought out)
Pysyk $2.7 million cap hit

If Lou retires, we will be right at the cap ($82.9)
If Lou retires, and Reimer is traded away without retention, we will have $3.7 million cap space.
$6.4 million if we move Pysyk as well.

We also have Lammikko, Greco, and Downing as RFAs. So its not going to be that easy to add an upgrade to the Dline without thinking about moving someone significant up front.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
other than us, who would be the front runners for bob? us, i doubt buffalo, detroit doesnt have the money for him, i really only see us from the atlantic. carolina? philly maybe with hart as a backup. the blackhawks with crawfords situation? st louis will go with binnington? canucks? oilers? coyotes?

if we're offering similar money i doubt hed go for carolina, and we have no state income taxes. philly has hart playing great, young and still a relatively small sample size but going after a bobrovsky isnt dire. st louis as mentioned already has binnington playing fantastic. why go to the edmonton? or arizona. i realistically see us, chicago if they move on from crawford due to the concussions, and vancouver. his dollar would go further here, and the usual stuff like its a great place to live and russians like it here. though vancouver looks beautiful and i doubt anyone would complain about living in chicago.

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
other than us, who would be the front runners for bob? us, i doubt buffalo, detroit doesnt have the money for him, i really only see us from the atlantic. carolina? philly maybe with hart as a backup. the blackhawks with crawfords situation? st louis will go with binnington? canucks? oilers? coyotes?

if we're offering similar money i doubt hed go for carolina, and we have no state income taxes. philly has hart playing great, young and still a relatively small sample size but going after a bobrovsky isnt dire. st louis as mentioned already has binnington playing fantastic. why go to the edmonton? or arizona. i realistically see us, chicago if they move on from crawford due to the concussions, and vancouver. his dollar would go further here, and the usual stuff like its a great place to live and russians like it here. though vancouver looks beautiful and i doubt anyone would complain about living in chicago.
Imo, Carolina and Columbus are the other teams that could be in play for Bob. Any other team will add a decent goalie on the market and we should/could trade for him. The only exception being NJ, but I don't see how they could try to make that cap work.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Your math is wrong.

55.8 + 18 is 73.8, not 63.8

Add to that the RFAs we need to sign, and we will be very tight with cap space.

Here is part of my previous thread, with corrected cap number:

$61.95 million current cap
$83 million projected cap
$21.05 million cap space

Panarin - yr/$10 million AAV
Bob $8 - million AAV
Sheahan - $1.7 million AAV
Hawryluk - $1 million AAV
McCoshen - $1.3 million AAV
Weegar - $1.1 million AAV
Brouwer - $1.1 million AAV

$24.2 million total
$3.1 million over cap

Luongo $4.5 million cap hit ($1.288 cap hit if he retires)
Reimer $3.7 million cap hit ($960k cap hit if bought out)
Pysyk $2.7 million cap hit

If Lou retires, we will be right at the cap ($82.9)
If Lou retires, and Reimer is traded away without retention, we will have $3.7 million cap space.
$6.4 million if we move Pysyk as well.

We also have Lammikko, Greco, and Downing as RFAs. So its not going to be that easy to add an upgrade to the Dline without thinking about moving someone significant up front.
Come on you know I meant 73.8 :laugh:

Even assuming your numbers, which are um, generous to say the least (1.7 for Sheahan and 1.2 for McCoshen?) the other RFAs you mention are minimum players, Florida's going to have 4.5 to 5 million minimum, that is more than enough to add a good upgrade there.

I'm convinced this is already done behind the scenes.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
IMO we should pass on Bob if it takes above $6.5 million to resign him and even then we should think twice. Performance matters. Playing behind a very solid D in the defense oriented system run by Torts, Bob has a 9.09% save percentage this season allowing 2.72 goals per game. Those numbers would presumably balloon for the worse playing behind Florida's porous, mistake prone D, which gives up way too many high quality scoring chances. I have not seen the analytics but I would bet our D is bottom five or worse in the league on 5-5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad