Proposal: Who's Interested? Chiarot for two 2nd's and a B+ prospect

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's fine, I just don't agree. Players generally go improve, but at some point you are close to the player you are going to be. The analytics show that he's still very much close to the player he was in Winnipeg. In fact, he had his best year in Winnipeg. And notice I'm not saying Chariot is a bad player, he definitely has his usefulness. But 100% disagree with the whole, he's so much better now than in Winnipeg idea.

I've seen many pre determined analytic approaches that lacks the full context. Basically looking at it with a set outcome in order to justify it.

Honest question: Do you think that GM's who are interested in Chiarot are idiots and HF board posters are the geniuses? Were not talking about one or two GM's here and there are many reputable members of the media who are also on board with his value.

If he was the same player he was with the Jets, he would have not been played 23-25 min a game by Julien, Ducharme, and now MSL. Yes we disagree on this and I bet you players on the Pens, Leafs, Jets, and Knights would agree with me over you.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So his numbers suffer due to overuse but he's matured with more ice time? Which is it bud?

That's a loaded question that I will avoid cause you have your mind already made up. Sorry, but I'm on the side of actual GM's in the NHL and reputable members of the media. You can disagree and you are entitled to it but the only numbers of value to you are the ones that fit your narrative where you completely ignore anything else that stands in the way. Not going through this again bud

I recall devalue attempts made towards Patch as well. "Sucks in the playoffs". Same devalue was attempted towards Toffoli a few weeks ago. "There is no way Toffoli returns a 1st". Pretty sure the Flames are happy with Toffoli today and Chiarot's new team will be happy with him too.

Have a nice day.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
That's a loaded question that I will avoid cause you have your mind already made up. Sorry, but I'm on the side of actual GM's in the NHL and reputable members of the media. You can disagree and you are entitled to it but the only numbers of value to you are the ones that fit your narrative where you completely ignore anything else that stands in the way. Not going through this again bud

I recall devalue attempts made towards Patch as well. "Sucks in the playoffs". Same devalue was attempted towards Toffoli a few weeks ago. "There is no way Toffoli returns a 1st". Pretty sure the Flames are happy with Toffoli today and Chiarot's new team will be happy with him too.

Have a nice day.
You are the master of not addressing anything that's negative about Chiarot. Quickly becoming the Habs version of bernmeister. Cheers!

Reactions: IIxGURUxII

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I've seen many pre determined analytic approaches that lacks the full context. Basically looking at it with a set outcome in order to justify it.

Honest question: Do you think that GM's who are interested in Chiarot are idiots and HF board posters are the geniuses? Were not talking about one or two GM's here and there are many reputable members of the media who are also on board with his value.

If he was the same player he was with the Jets, he would have not been played 23-25 min a game by Julien, Ducharme, and now MSL. Yes we disagree on this and I bet you players on the Pens, Leafs, Jets, and Knights would agree with me over you.

I don't think they are idiots, but many suffer from short term thinking IMO. Every year we see GM's spend more on TD acquisitions than they should IMO. Chariot could provide some value to a team looking to go on a run. But no team IMO should be thinking about adding him to play a pivotal role in their top 4. He can play a support role. And personally, I don't think GM's should trade valuable assets at the TD for support pieces.

My point is though, that he's not somehow a massively different player than he was in Winnipeg.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think they are idiots, but many suffer from short term thinking IMO. Every year we see GM's spend more on TD acquisitions than they should IMO. Chariot could provide some value to a team looking to go on a run. But no team IMO should be thinking about adding him to play a pivotal role in their top 4. He can play a support role. And personally, I don't think GM's should trade valuable assets at the TD for support pieces.

My point is though, that he's not somehow a massively different player than he was in Winnipeg.

Some teams regret the rentals and some don't. The bubble teams that might make the playoffs or loose in the 1st round should not be trading futures. I agree there. But the legit contenders who are close to cup should be making those moves IMO. Are the Leafs in that position? Yes but past moves did not work so I get why some would be concerned cause doing that season after season with no playoff success can wear on you.

Last edited:

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I wouldnt trade those two prospects together for anyone on the habs. Take your late first or two 2nds for chiarot and be happy you got it.

Anyone on the Habs?

Come on!!

I get the point you wouldn't trade those two for Chiarot, but anyone on the Habs, that's absurd

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Anyone on the Habs?

Come on!!

I get the point you wouldn't trade those two for Chiarot, but anyone on the Habs, that's absurd
Context is important as well. Suzuki is a good young player, Caufield as well, Anderson etc but those are the leafs two best prospects and fill two important needs with elc as well. Montreal has more then a few good players but none fit the leafs long term.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Context is important as well. Suzuki is a good young player, Caufield as well, Anderson etc but those are the leafs two best prospects and fill two important needs with elc as well. Montreal has more then a few good players but none fit the leafs long term.

A few Leafs fans are interested in Chiarot from what I have noticed. Might not pay the price in the thread title but some have offered something close to that. So not all see it the same way.

The major distraction to this thread title is the bullies trying to devalue him to crap or a 7th rounder. Foolish

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
nyr not interested, except as taking back an expiring to expunge cheaper but multiyear Nemeth, preferably w/o retention, from roster going forward.
Howev, don't think we remotely close to agreeing on proper compensation NY adds to do that.
Otherwise, no interest whatsoever.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Some teams regret the rentals and some don't. The bubble teams that might make the playoffs or loose in the 1st round should not be trading futures. I agree there. But the legit contenders who are close to cup should be making those moves IMO. Are the Leafs in that position? Yes but past moves did not work so I get why some would be concerned cause doing that season after season with no playoff success can wear on you.

I agree for the most part, but I don't think teams should be spending 1st round picks and valuable prospects. I forget what thread it was in, but someone posted the teams that spent those assets over a time period and the cup winners. It was very rare that the team spending won the cup, and the players acquired for high cost were very rarely impact performers.

For me, I think as a GM you should use the TD to fill out depth, and use mid round picks and prospects to get it done. The only time I'd look to spend a 1st is if the player is coming with term, or if I was a clear top team (so drafting guaranteed around 25, and the guy I'm getting is like a Giroux type, and it's cup or bust time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree for the most part, but I don't think teams should be spending 1st round picks and valuable prospects. I forget what thread it was in, but someone posted the teams that spent those assets over a time period and the cup winners. It was very rare that the team spending won the cup, and the players acquired for high cost were very rarely impact performers.

For me, I think as a GM you should use the TD to fill out depth, and use mid round picks and prospects to get it done. The only time I'd look to spend a 1st is if the player is coming with term, or if I was a clear top team (so drafting guaranteed around 25, and the guy I'm getting is like a Giroux type, and it's cup or bust time.

Tampa has managed their cup contender status and the timing of trading futures well IMO. Leafs are better than a 1st round team IMO but they have traded futures where it did not work. Dubas should get some heat for that but he is trying. Will he try again? Not sure but lets say you reach the 2nd or 3rd round and fall short? Will you have a different opinion then and say, man, we should have traded our 1st for "that guy". It could be a risk in both ways. It's a tough business for sure

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

Ha ok, that makes sense.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Do you think the rumors of Dubas calling about Chiarot are true or false? In other words, if he ends up trading for Chiarot, will you be pissed off?
Not really pissed off more disappointed that he didn't address the more obvious and important holes. Chiarot would be a decent add for any team including the leafs, just think our assets could be better spent on a position of need.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not really pissed off more disappointed that he didn't address the more obvious and important holes. Chiarot would be a decent add for any team including the leafs, just think our assets could be better spent on a position of need.

What's your position of need? RD? Who's the best target? I'm curious

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Lol. Nah it wasn’t. It was because Carey save da puck. Once Carey cooled off, so then did the habs.
I think it was some lucky run, but Prices biggest influence came in the first series. The second series was a sweep, I probably couldn’t played in net, and perhaps in the Vegas series, in game, he was instrumental in them not going down 0-2, but for the remaining games of the series, Montreal was flat out better than them.

What he was most of the was solid, reliable and mistake free, but I really don’t agree with the narrative we saw a playoff goaltending performance for the ages.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
What's your position of need? RD? Who's the best target? I'm curious
I mentioned the positions of need in a previous post, but currently Goaltending is number 1 and Lw is 2, Rd is a need if we get the right player ie Mayfield or to a lesser extent soucy. Hagel would be my choice for left wing, all three have 1 thing in common contracts that run past this season that are cheap for what they bring.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Players hold different values to different teams. I stated I believed he was worth a late 1st or two seconds, just not to the leafs. We have Reilly, brodie, sandin, Muzzin, dermott who can all play the left side well. Hes not a need for the leafs at all. If he played on the right side then that would be slightly different. We have 8 capable NHL d with 3 who can play both sides effectively. Adding a d would be nice but Left wing and goaltending are our biggest holes right now.

I may be a biased Habs fan, but I think Chariot is exactly what the Leafs need for their top 4. If he can round out your top 4 in the postseason, isn’t it worth the late first which really loses the high value it had after the draft in most cases? I was convinced we’d get an easy first for Chariot at the beginning of the season, now I’m not 100% percent certain. But that value is definitely close. And I think both fanbases end up happy in the end, especially if the Leafs find success in the playoffs.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
Maybe 1 second rounder. Toews cost 2 seconds and you want to add a B+ prospect to that for Chiarot? Hard pass.

Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Per Elliotte Friedman in his latest 32 thoughts.

#8. One GM called the rental defence market soft and a couple of his compatriots agreed. A major reason? There is a lot of them.

chiarot is a 3rd pair on just about any contender. He’s not fetching 2 2nds and a prospect.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Per Elliotte Friedman in his latest 32 thoughts.

#8. One GM called the rental defence market soft and a couple of his compatriots agreed. A major reason? There is a lot of them.

chiarot is a 3rd pair on just about any contender. He’s not fetching 2 2nds and a prospect.
3rd and a prospect

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it was some lucky run, but Prices biggest influence came in the first series. The second series was a sweep, I probably couldn’t played in net, and perhaps in the Vegas series, in game, he was instrumental in them not going down 0-2, but for the remaining games of the series, Montreal was flat out better than them.

What he was most of the was solid, reliable and mistake free, but I really don’t agree with the narrative we saw a playoff goaltending performance for the ages.

The other angle to this is are we going to take away from what a guy like McDonagh can do cause Vasi is also unreal in the playoffs? Not saying Chiarot is the exact same value as McDonagh but why is Chiarot being targeted or devalued when he was a large part of the Habs physical top 4D? The Price narrative is comical. Not worth much but when it comes to devaluing Chiarot, Price is golden and you don't need a good top 4D in front of him. :facepalm:

I will admit that without no playoffs for the Habs due to Covid (both 2020 and 2021 playoffs), Chiarot's value would not be as high as it is today. What players accomplish with the circumstances at play is not to be thrown under the rug. NHL GM's have taken noticed in the eye test department and we are talking about 5-10 NHL GM's where also reputable members of the media have spoken to the same things. Fans ignoring all these parts and taking one sided angles is just basically cancer culture on HF boards.

What does he return? Might not be a 1st but the package will be solid. And he is going to help out a team for their playoff run. Warrior type that skates very well and raises his game in the playoffs. A guy you want to play with vs against. I stand firm on that. Posters who are not interested should just stay away and avoid their foolish devalue attempts. Noise we don't need and its nonsense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad