Proposal: Who's Interested? Chiarot for two 2nd's and a B+ prospect

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt it. Just because you choose to ignore the breakdown of how much he drags down every d partner and block the users trying to inform you, doesnt mean GMs do.

If you doubt it, make the $100 bet? You seem confident that he really does drag down every partner so what are you afraid off? An actual NHL GM overlooks the "drag down" narrative cause they are dumb? :sarcasm:

The "drag down" narrative is a witch hunt. You can apply that to many others who have usage/ice time like that. But you are entitled to believe what you want to believe.

I'm going to repeat this cause you won't make the bet but you "doubt it"... How confident are you? Not that confident right?
Your price (2nd and C prospect)
vs
My price (two 2nd's and B+ prospect)

It might fall in the middle but bet you it's way closer to my price than yours. I'm very confident ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Devonator and Doc5

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Weird. For several weeks Montreal fans were telling Avs fans that the secret formula to success was/is Price as a goalie. Now you have a different angle - I mean reason - for shaking someone down.
The reason habs went t the SCF last year was a mean defensive thatw as able to physically dominate their opponent and Price.

But again, we get it, Leafs would ratrher have 3 80+pts player and get kick out in the 1st round when slashing and cross checking becomes a thing

Reactions: Suave

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I'd rather hold out for the first rounder. Habs have enough 2nds/B prospects. And many more will be coming in for other players that will be dealt before the deadline or during the offseason.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
If you doubt it, make the $100 bet? You seem confident that he really does drag down every partner so what are you afraid off? An actual NHL GM overlooks the "drag down" narrative cause they are dumb? :sarcasm:

The "drag down" narrative is a witch hunt. You can apply that to many others who have usage/ice time like that. But you are entitled to believe what you want to believe.

I'm going to repeat this cause you won't make the bet but you "doubt it"... How confident are you? Not that confident right?
Your price (2nd and C prospect)
vs
My price (two 2nd's and B+ prospect)

It might fall in the middle but bet you it's way closer to my price than yours. I'm very confident ;)
Lol witch hunt. Sure buddy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lol witch hunt. Sure buddy.

It is a witch hunt. Chiarot is not the only guy you can target to devalue like that. I'm pretty sure actual NHL GM's are aware of this as well.

Do the same thing towards Muzzin, McDonagh, or any other D man that has 20+ min/game and are of the physical/D zone usage narrative. Be fair and put the time in to get the right context.

So I repeat, if you doubt it and are confident, make the bet.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Chiarot is not a top 3 dman, hes probably playing too much time in mtl and hes not even close to be in the same category of mcdonaugh... but hes an excellent #4 you can help a lot of team for sure.

2nd +prospect b or 2 2nd could be fair value for a rental

Reactions: Just a Fan

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
It is a witch hunt. Chiarot is not the only guy you can target to devalue like that. I'm pretty sure actual NHL GM's are aware of this as well.

Do the same thing towards Muzzin, McDonagh, or any other D man that has 20+ min/game and are of the physical/D zone usage narrative. Be fair and put the time in to get the right context.

Why not an avatar bet, so we can see you with a leafs av for a year? :laugh:

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Sure you can. Just like you can show much lesser thought of defensemen are much more effective than Chiarot. Cherry picking means nothing. A comprehensive look at how he tanks corsi for literally every partner he's had is much more telling.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why does Chiarot have more value than Savard had a year ago? Savard was better than Chiarot and was also a RHD.

If Chiarot could bring back a 1st, he would have been traded by now. 2 2nds for Chiarot is about as good of a return as Montreal can hope for, based on like a dozen comparable trades.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Not sure Chiarot gets a 1st rounder. I think most fans outside of Montreal feel the same so what about this price? Some will still choke on this but I bet this is the kind of return the Habs get for Chiarot in the end.

* Chiarot (50% retention)
for
* 2023 2nd
* 2024 2nd
* B+ prospect developing well drafted 1-3 years ago (similar to what the Habs got for Toffoli... Heineman)
* Possible cap dump that expires this season

I can see why the Habs would like that. I have zero interest in Ben at any cost.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Waiting for the next iteration of this thread which will involve trading Chiarot for two 3rd rounders. :sarcasm:

because he's a rental and because he's....Ben Chiarot, he's likely not going to get a king's ransom, but I don't expect him to be moved for a 4th either !

Reactions: Runner77

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I’d take 2 2nds. If there was a player on the board on draft day around 20-30, I’d package one of those seconds with ours this year to move up 10 spots and grab said player.
Something like 33-34th overall + late 2nd for 25ish overall.
At late second to move up 5-10 spots

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I can see why the Habs would like that. I have zero interest in Ben at any cost.
Again, we get it. Beeing a Leafs fan we understand that the thing you guys are thriving for are soft players who disappear come playoffs time. So we're cool!

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The reason habs went t the SCF last year was a mean defensive thatw as able to physically dominate their opponent and Price.

But again, we get it, Leafs would ratrher have 3 80+pts player and get kick out in the 1st round when slashing and cross checking becomes a thing
Lol. Nah it wasn’t. It was because Carey save da puck. Once Carey cooled off, so then did the habs.

Reactions: Shane Diesel

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Re- the Chariot would return a lot more than Dillion. Let's say Chariot is the better player so that does have value. Dillion came with term at a reasonable hit so that does have value to teams. Chariot is an expiring ufa. So I think a 2nd and a B prospect is very fair value. I also, think that's like 3 2nds B prospect = a 2nd.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Sure you can. Just like you can show much lesser thought of defensemen are much more effective than Chiarot. Cherry picking means nothing. A comprehensive look at how he tanks corsi for literally every partner he's had is much more telling.
Careful. You’ll get ignored for showing the data to back that up.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Again, we get it. Beeing a Leafs fan we understand that the thing you guys are thriving for are soft players who disappear come playoffs time. So we're cool!
Well I know this might be hard to understand, but you won by having an insane performance games 5-7 from price. You were thoroughly outplayed in 5/6 despite having the warm fuzzies that Chiarot crosschecked a bunch. Have you considered that he’s only cross checking and being tough to play against a lot because he’s always chasing the puck? It’s something to think about.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
because he's a rental and because he's....Ben Chiarot, he's likely not going to get a king's ransom, but I don't expect him to be moved for a 4th either !

You’re two threads ahead in 4th rounder territory. :sarcasm:

There is no level of return that will stand up to an advanced stats perspective. Chiarot will mostly have appeal with an old school GM who values his physical play in the playoffs last season.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I’d try to target LAs 1st . They seem to have solidified they playoff spot (not a sure thing, but they are in a good spot). They need help on LD, there’s familiarity with Bergevin.

Montreal would need to add but the reason why the LA 1st is appealing is because they are in same division as CGY. They both can’t win division and move deep in the playoffs so you’re guaranteeing that one of those picks would be closer to 20.

chiarot 50% retained for LA 1st round pick

Montreal needs to add a combination of following: (1 or 2 of the following)

- Kulak, Paquette, Perreault, Hoffman, a late 2nd this year if we can trade for one before, Drouin (no retention) , a 3rd, a B prospect

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You do realize you have to pay the Habs to take a cap dump AND retain on Chiarot right? That alone costs you a 2nd.

Chiarot's value is a lot higher than a late 2nd

Nah you can just lose chiarot for nothing in the off season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Sure but that applies to other players with his D zone/ice time as well.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You do realize you have to pay the Habs to take a cap dump AND retain on Chiarot right? That alone costs you a 2nd.

Chiarot's value is a lot higher than a late 2nd

Can the Habs trade him without taking back a cap dump and/or retaining? How many playoff teams have the cap space to add him without some sort of assistance to make the cap work and would give up a lot for him? To me, it sounds like temporary cap relief is the cost of doing business for the Habs, not a reason for an additional "service fee" that the buyer needs to pay full price for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad