Value of: Who Would Be Worth More in Trade, Benoit Pouliot or Nail Yakupov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Can't see Yakupov ever being ass effective as Pouliot.

Give me Pouliot every day and twice on Sunday.

Pouliot's contract is actually decent.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
If this is true then that is more than a little disturbing to me. I'd have been willing to give up a 2nd plus for Yak because the percentage chance that a 2nd pans out is probably less than the chance Yak improves. However, if this is true then I just stay away from him.

It's a shame, I was always routing for him, I thought he just needed some help getting some direction of what to do and how to play at the NHL level. If he's just clueless and runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off then there's no real hope for him. Just sad

You pretty much summed up how Oil fans feel about him in general.

Nice kid. absolutely clueless on how to play hockey when he doesn't out talent everyone.

Stauffer gives him a hard time for pretty much giving up after his injury last year. Apparently Yakupov refuses to work on the weak areas of his game.

That being said he wasn't the only Oiler that mailed the last 30 games of the season in.

GoldenTicket

Nov 14, 2006
In your bushes
Surprised at no love for Pouliot. I actually have no issues keeping him on the Oilers. He's a dependable middle 6 winger that earns about what he should for his point production.

Yak is a worthless bust who can't play hockey.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yak is a reclamation project - maybe a 2nd round pick, closer to a 3rd + low tier prospect in terms of return.

Pouliot Has more value.

Yak would be best utilized as a trade chip as part of a package rather than on his own.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This would be a fantastic deal had he ever actually scored 52 points in a season rather than his actual numbers which are a career high of 36 points/year. Even the one year he managed to play 80 games, he only scored 36 points.

Any time people start referring to a player by PPG rather than actual points scored, it's almost guaranteed that either the player has a pretty extensive injury history or they're using such a small sample size there's no way it can be reliably extrapolated to a full season.

Depends on what you mean by "extensive injury history". He has had a couple of injuries in Edmonton, but none that are recurring and certainly none that should affect his play going forward.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You pretty much summed up how Oil fans feel about him in general.

Nice kid. absolutely clueless on how to play hockey when he doesn't out talent everyone.

Stauffer gives him a hard time for pretty much giving up after his injury last year. Apparently Yakupov refuses to work on the weak areas of his game.

That being said he wasn't the only Oiler that mailed the last 30 games of the season in.

I don't necessarily agree with such harsh criticism of Yakupov, but I do agree that it is apparent that he will likely top out as a scorer on a 2nd line with a good playmaking center. At best.

I still for the life of me don't see why Dallas and Edmonton don't hook up on the Cody Eakin - Nail Yakupov deal that has been batted around here a bunch of times. Judging by how he has played with talented centers in the past, Yakupov would likely flourish beside Spezza on Dallas' second line, and we would get a good 2 way 3rd line center that Dallas doesn't have room for. Seems to make sense for both teams to me.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Pouliot is the better player and Yak reaching upside seems to be getting more and more unlikely as time goes by.

Both have bad contracts for different reasons. Yak for his high qualifying offer relative to what he brings and Pouliot for his term left on the deal. With the cap going where it is, Pouliot's contract is worse.

Without taking back cash, I think Pouliot would be impossible to trade. So for that reason, he probably has less value than Yak. If they were both on expiring contracts, I think Pouliot could fetch more than Yak at the trade deadline as a rental.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Depends on what you mean by "extensive injury history". He has had a couple of injuries in Edmonton, but none that are recurring and certainly none that should affect his play going forward.

I was referring to the fact that he's played more than 2/3 of the season 1 year out of the last 4. He has a career high of 36 points in a 10 year long career. The whole PPG game thing sounds good but in reality, expecting him to get more than that in year 11+ is more wishful thinking than anything.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Pouliot was abymisal with the habs. Like not even valuable just a big liability. I could not even fathom how a team would want him with his current cap hit.

As for Yakupov.. if he is worst than Pouliot then he is the biggest bust of the century.

I'd say right now Yak is worse than Pouliot
both had their numbers inflated when they played beside McDavid but Pouliot actually made something happen with his time there and produce like a middle 6 scoring winger; while Yakupov used the 4x increase in ppg beside McDavid to barely break 20 points.

Whether you actually take Pouliot over Yak depends on if you think you can fix Yakupov.

My trade value question for either of them right now is are they worth more than a expansion draft protection spot to any team in the league/ which teams are deep enough that they are already putting a better forward unprotected?

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Pouliot was abymisal with the habs. Like not even valuable just a big liability. I could not even fathom how a team would want him with his current cap hit.

As for Yakupov.. if he is worst than Pouliot then he is the biggest bust of the century.

He wasn't.

But he was disappointing because people were hoping he would become a star player.
He had his best stats per game with the Habs in 2010. And if I remember correctly, he then played with the one , the only, Scott Gomez.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
LOL. He'll shock people? Guy's been in the league a decade and played for 5 teams and his career year is 36 points, but now he is suddenly going to shock us with his sweet skillz? Cmon.

He played a good role with NYR. With the Oilers, he's been even better. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to play 82 games with them, but if he did, he would broken his career high. He had 19 goals in 58 games, and then 14 in 55 - He was on pace to break 20 goals. Not too shabby.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Yak is a reclamation project - maybe a 2nd round pick, closer to a 3rd + low tier prospect in terms of return.

Pouliot Has more value.

Yak would be best utilized as a trade chip as part of a package rather than on his own.

And here we go again.
Yakupov is not worth a late 2nd pick.
Brett Connolly went for 2 2nds.
Yakupovs value is mid to late first.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
And here we go again.
Yakupov is not worth a late 2nd pick.
Brett Connolly went for 2 2nds.
Yakupovs value is mid to late first.

Sorry, your reasoning doesn't hold water. You can't use a deal made March 2, 2015 and equate it to September of 2016. Different year. Yukupov is a bust at this stage. Busts don't land a mid first round pick. Pretty insane to think he has that value.

Getting back to the question ... Benoit Pouliott has way more value than Yukupov. It's not close to me. At some point, people have to stop saying he was a former first overall pick. At some point, people need to say he is a bust.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Sorry, your reasoning doesn't hold water. You can't use a deal made March 2, 2015 and equate it to September of 2016. Different year. Yukupov is a bust at this stage. Busts don't land a mid first round pick. Pretty insane to think he has that value.

Getting back to the question ... Benoit Pouliott has way more value than Yukupov. It's not close to me. At some point, people have to stop saying he was a former first overall pick. At some point, people need to say he is a bust.

People want to see him play for a real team first before they can say it. A damn mentor for once and a coach who will put some confidence in him and not stick him on the 3rd/4th line.

Edmonton is hoarding the **** outta him. :deadhorse

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Pouliot imo.

Yakupov is a project and would likely only garner interest from teams that can afford to work with him (in other words, teams that don't expect to be competitive).

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
pouliot is an above average 3rd liner being paid average 2nd liner money... his overpayment kills his trade value. decent player but bad contract

yakupov hasnt proven he will become a regular top 6 guy... but hes young and was a concensus first overall pick. so with 29 teams to choose from, at least 1 will believe they can steal him from edmonton and this will inflate his trade value

neither guy is worth much in a trade imho... but yakupov has a chance to surprise us and get more than expected because it only takes 1 team to gamble

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

reasoning was bang on... point is none of us speak for 29 gms

when connolly went for 2 seconds its because thats what one team said he was worth. it only takes one team. the other 28 teams might offer a 7th... but so long as 1 team offers more, than thats the value.

personally theres no chance in hell id pay 2 seconds for yakupov or connolly... but i dont speak for all 29 other gms

Mar 26, 2010
Neither player has much value. Both are busts... Yak is worse through.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Pouliot imo.

Yakupov is a project and would likely only garner interest from teams that can afford to work with him (in other words, teams that don't expect to be competitive).

I could see Vegas taking a ****, they'll have years to waste on him

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Wow, Pouliot has to be one of the most under appreciated players on this board.

The guy has injury problems but he's a very good player at 4M and every line he plays on seems to have success (McDavid with Ebs/Yak, RNH/Ebs, etc). He's one of the best complimentary players you can find at 4M.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Wow, Pouliot has to be one of the most under appreciated players on this board.

The guy has injury problems but he's a very good player at 4M and every line he plays on seems to have success (McDavid with Ebs/Yak, RNH/Ebs, etc). He's one of the best complimentary players you can find at 4M.

its probably a sad state of affairs that most guys like pouliot are getting 4 mill these days. oilers gave boyde gordan 3... boston gave kelly and peverly 3... bolland got 5. gaustad got his payout... lars eller..,

the list goes on and on and on and on... but one truth emerges as you see teams buying these guys out... desperately trying to trade them... the fan base making these guys public enemy number 1...

you simply cant pay 3rd line players 4 mill... even 3 mill is too much unless the guy is elite

pouliot is a very useful puck pocession winger with decent size who doesnt have hands of stone... he makes a very good effort to play defense.

but this doesnt make him worth 4 mill. as a player he would improve most teams third or 4th lines...but as a contract hes very difficult.

there might be some bottom feeder team that thinks he would improve their second line... like edmonton thought so when they overpaid him.

and in all honesty... he seams like edmontons second best lw still

edmonton should keep him and let him play with hopkins and eberle... that line has proven chemistry

they should let draisailt center a third line with no preasure with versteeg and maroon. the vets can protect him.

as for yakupov...time to give him one last chance... that means 20-25 games with mcdavid and lucic. ultimately they got the finnish kid waiting in the wings. if yakupov fails... he fails... but give him a chance

i wouldnt trade either pouliot or yakupov when their value is so low.. they are worth more to the oilers

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
its probably a sad state of affairs that most guys like pouliot are getting 4 mill these days. oilers gave boyde gordan 3... boston gave kelly and peverly 3... bolland got 5. gaustad got his payout... lars eller..,

the list goes on and on and on and on... but one truth emerges as you see teams buying these guys out... desperately trying to trade them... the fan base making these guys public enemy number 1...

you simply cant pay 3rd line players 4 mill... even 3 mill is too much unless the guy is elite

pouliot is a very useful puck pocession winger with decent size who doesnt have hands of stone... he makes a very good effort to play defense.

but this doesnt make him worth 4 mill. as a player he would improve most teams third or 4th lines...but as a contract hes very difficult.

there might be some bottom feeder team that thinks he would improve their second line... like edmonton thought so when they overpaid him.

and in all honesty... he seams like edmontons second best lw still

edmonton should keep him and let him play with hopkins and eberle... that line has proven chemistry

they should let draisailt center a third line with no preasure with versteeg and maroon. the vets can protect him.

as for yakupov...time to give him one last chance... that means 20-25 games with mcdavid and lucic. ultimately they got the finnish kid waiting in the wings. if yakupov fails... he fails... but give him a chance

i wouldnt trade either pouliot or yakupov when their value is so low.. they are worth more to the oilers

You just summarized it perfectly. Both are worth more to the Oilers.

Pouliot is reliable and can play well with RNH. Yak is on his last legs, put him up there with McDavid and Lucic, Yakupov's best skill is his shot. He's on a short leash though, literally final shot here. No time to wait.

Yak for a 3C like Berglund would work, but outside of that give him his last shot with a skilled centre. Put up or shut up time for Yak.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I could see Vegas taking a ****, they'll have years to waste on him

the problem for most young expansion teams is they have to be careful they dont bring in bad leadership. if yakupov gets special treatment other kids will take it the wrong way.

yakupov needs to go to a team with a superstrong lockerroom and a winning tradition. detroit back in the day when they had larinov and fetisov would have been ideal...

i suppose a team like chicago might be an option now? but hes a bit expensive for them...

maybe washington? they seam very russian friendly

i wouldnt suggest a team take him unless they feel they can give him a fresh start with a ton of support

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Pouliot is extremely underrated on this board. Would absolutely love to have him on the 2nd line with the AVS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad