Value of: Who Would Be Worth More in Trade, Benoit Pouliot or Nail Yakupov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Pouliot was abymisal with the habs. Like not even valuable just a big liability. I could not even fathom how a team would want him with his current cap hit.

As for Yakupov.. if he is worst than Pouliot then he is the biggest bust of the century.

Which was half a decade ago. Player's games do change throughout their career.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
52 points for 4 million is good value, no one expected it to work out this well, and thought it was terrible at the time but there's nothing wrong with it now.

Except that he has never scored more than 36pts in a season. So 52pts for 4million would be a great value if he can actually achieve that.......but so far.....nope.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Pouliot was abymisal with the habs. Like not even valuable just a big liability. I could not even fathom how a team would want him with his current cap hit.

As for Yakupov.. if he is worst than Pouliot then he is the biggest bust of the century.

Pouliot wasn't very good in Minnesota either but ever since he joined Boston he has been a solid 3rd liner.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Pouliot wasn't very good in Minnesota either but ever since he joined Boston he has been a solid 3rd liner.

He's been better than that for the Oilers and was at least statistically better than that for the Rangers.

In his last three seasons, he's scored 48-58-106 in 193GP or the equivalent of a 0.25GPG, 0.55PPG player. Easily in the range of second liners in the league. It's not inflated by any one season since his range has been consistent since. He tilts the ice in terms of possession, is easily one of the better forecheckers in the West. He takes braindead offensive zone penalties, but that's part of who he is.

Oilers fans love to play amateur GM and they will bemoan cap hits even a marginally higher than they should be, but nobody is really complaining about Benoit Pouliot because he's kind of overperformed on expectations and feels close to fair value. He's probably the most underrated Oilers forward of the last two years and he's worked very well with multiple centers, including both McDavid and RNH.

As an Oiler fan, I would launch Yakupov in the sun before I sold off Pouliot for nothing.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He's been better than that for the Oilers and was at least statistically better than that for the Rangers.

In his last three seasons, he's scored 48-58-106 in 193GP or the equivalent of a 0.25GPG, 0.55PPG player. Easily in the range of second liners in the league. It's not inflated by any one season since his range has been consistent since. He tilts the ice in terms of possession, is easily one of the better forecheckers in the West. He takes braindead offensive zone penalties, but that's part of who he is.

Oilers fans love to play amateur GM and they will bemoan cap hits even a marginally higher than they should be, but nobody is really complaining about Benoit Pouliot because he's kind of overperformed on expectations and feels close to fair value. He's probably the most underrated Oilers forward of the last two years and he's worked very well with multiple centers, including both McDavid and RNH.

As an Oiler fan, I would launch Yakupov in the sun before I sold off Pouliot for nothing.

I agree. He needs to stay healthy but is way more valuable to the oilers than Yak. The Oulers need to unload Yak, he is not a good fit. Pouliot is a better all around player than Yak, and the type of player the Oilers need to hang onto. Yak is the opposite.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
A lot of teams, mine included, just want the better player. And that's Pouliot. A rebuilding club can give Yak another shot.

The only real risk with Pouliot's contract is his health, as he has been missing too many games. When he does play, his production is good for $4m.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah exactly not to mention there are probably quite a few who actually consider pouliot a cap dunk

Well thats some interesting speculation considering there was a lot of interest around the league in Pouliot when he was a UFA and he has only performed better since arriving in Edmonton. The only concern with him has been injury issues (broke his foot blocking a shot in 2014-15, separated his shoulder going into the boards awkwardly in 2015-16). If Pouliot is healthy and can play 70-75+ game then he is absolutely worth his 4M if not more and is not even close to a cap dump.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
Pouliot should not be traded. Perfect player for the Oilers. Works hard on the forcheck. Has decent speed. Can finish. Plays good with good players... can be a utility guy up and down the lineup. Disappeared at times and took the odd offensive zone bonehead penalty but I love what he brings for the most part.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Wow great scouting report from 6 years ago . Not like players improve or anything:help:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm still impressed how lingering the Yak potential will stay. In this comparison it's especially interesting how if only Yak was away from the crummy Edmonton scenario he'd be able to flourish. Though, Pouliot joining them has hit a stride in havings success and the whole, oh playing with those great other talents helps him out is what consistently Yak can't even get done.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I'm still impressed how lingering the Yak potential will stay. In this comparison it's especially interesting how if only Yak was away from the crummy Edmonton scenario he'd be able to flourish.

No, he's just bad.

He's a shooter with bad shot selection, he's a skater who doesn't attack on the rush or drive the net. Unless he has perfect chemistry with his centre, he's useless. He generates fewer scoring chances than the fourth line at any given time.

If he "flourishes" outside of Edmonton, it will be in a situation where he finds himself with the right centre. The second that arrangement changes, he'll disappear like usual.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
No, he's just bad.

He's a shooter with bad shot selection, he's a skater who doesn't attack on the rush or drive the net. Unless he has perfect chemistry with his centre, he's useless. He generates fewer scoring chances than the fourth line at any given time.

If he "flourishes" outside of Edmonton, it will be in a situation where he finds himself with the right centre. The second that arrangement changes, he'll disappear like usual.

In layman's terms ...hes an anchor...even the 1 center (not McDavid) hes played well with admitted he doesn't have a clue what Yak is doing...that was Derek Roy.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If Pouliot can stay healthy, he'll shock people. He's been a great 2nd liner for us, and worth every penny of his deal. He's found chemistry with pretty much every player he's played with, and been extremely versatile. He's even played center for us

NickLidstrom

Ottawa & Detroit fan
Dec 1, 2013
Umeå
If I was a team like Pittsburgh I would give up as much as a late first for Yakupov. I don't think many people would pay that much for Pouliot

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
The thing is that if Pouliot could actually stay healthy then he shouldn't be considered a 3rd liner. He absolutely has played at the level of a good 2nd liner and has produced as such since joining Edmonton. Its up to you whether you think 113 games is a large enough sample, but in my mind there is no question that a healthy Pouliot is a good 2nd liner if played with a skilled top 6 centre.

In an offense-only system few teams use. Many players can put up points with McDavid in Edmonton. I doubt it inflates his value after GMs have seen his play for years.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
Definitely Pouliot. Hardly an all-star but he's underrated around here.

Pouliot's contract makes him less desirable. Both players are very mediocre and the ceiling for Yakupov might be considered to be higher, even though he has basically busted. I still would give up more for Nail.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
If Pouliot can stay healthy, he'll shock people. He's been a great 2nd liner for us, and worth every penny of his deal. He's found chemistry with pretty much every player he's played with, and been extremely versatile. He's even played center for us

LOL. He'll shock people? Guy's been in the league a decade and played for 5 teams and his career year is 36 points, but now he is suddenly going to shock us with his sweet skillz? Cmon.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pouliot is more predictable , what you are going to get out of him.

Yak has still got that "could be a star in there somewhere" allure to him.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
In layman's terms ...hes an anchor...even the 1 center (not McDavid) hes played well with admitted he doesn't have a clue what Yak is doing...that was Derek Roy.

If this is true then that is more than a little disturbing to me. I'd have been willing to give up a 2nd plus for Yak because the percentage chance that a 2nd pans out is probably less than the chance Yak improves. However, if this is true then I just stay away from him.

It's a shame, I was always routing for him, I thought he just needed some help getting some direction of what to do and how to play at the NHL level. If he's just clueless and runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off then there's no real hope for him. Just sad

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
Pouliot because he's a good middle 6 winger that can slot anywhere in your lineup, while Yakupov doesn't do anything of note except try hard and be a first overall pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad