Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Chill guys. Bob and Barkov vere evenly best players on Game 1 & 2, Barkov in game 3, McDavid in games 4 & 5. It's even between McDavid and Barkov now, cup winner gets it.
It isn't cup finals MVP though. It's playoff MVP. After these last two games, I think everyone needs to admit that McDavid has to be the frontrunner, win or lose right now.

Reactions: More 2004

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
McDavid gets it unless Bobrovsky clinches the series with another game 1 style robbery.

Reactions: voxel

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
When McDavid broke the Gretzky assist record it really put him in the conversation, just as Bob getting shelled took him out of it. The Gretz record gives him too fun of a narrative.

This game should put McDavid as the favorite now. Even if the Oilers lose, McDavid's performance is the definition of an exception to the rule
He already broke Malkins record, I can't believe next game he will break Marios playoff points record. :mad:

Stupid Panthers!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Its McDavid no question.

Barkov and Bob lost it with these two games.

McDavid setting new playoff records...

For all the talk of the magic Barkov stuffing and eliminating McDavid...Blown wide open. Bob being pulled and giving up 4 tonight, they aren't winning it now.

Monster game from Tkachuk.

It’s between McDavid and Tkachuk for me.
This was Tkachuks first good game of the playoffs and you're ready to hand him a Smythe?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's going to be McDavid if it'd handed out in Edmonton on Friday. Throwing Oilers a bone.

Could still be Barkov or Bob if they have strong 2 games.

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
Bob has fallen off a cliff. WTF happened to him?
Yup... It was all Bobs until the last two games which completely destroyed his chance. His goals against average just dropped and skinner actually looks like the better goalie. Meanwhile McDavid has reached and could surpass the two best players that have ever played the game in their best runs while playing against better goalies.

Panthers are more of a win by team. Nobody really stands out now that Bob is human. I think you got to give it to McDavid regardless. How do you not reward one of the best performances of all time. The trophie would be a farce if you don't.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I don't think we should ignore the fact that as recent as two games ago McDavid was choking, Barkov was putting on a clinic and Bobrovsky was basically having his name chiseled into the Conn Smythe. Two excellent games by McDavid certainly puts him in the "wins the Conn Smythe if he loses" conversation. But to act like it would be a scandal if Bobrovsky wins it is wrong as well. The exact same people that think he should have nothing to do with the trophy anymore would have admitted he should win it after Game 3. Now, these were two excellent statement games by McDavid. Were they ever! And 42 points in the playoffs is just otherworldly, and there is a reason only Gretzky and Lemieux ever did it. But there was a guy named Gretzky who did NOT win the Smythe in a losing cause with 40 playoff points. Nor did he win it in a winning cause with 34 points either - in fact his opponent did. Nor did he win it with 38 points in a losing cause either. Do we really ignore Bobrovsky if he returns to his Game 1 or 2 form? That cherry on top and that "go out on top" mindset wouldn't propel him to the Smythe? I could see him taking it to be honest. I could also see McDavid taking it, in a win or a loss. All I will agree on with 10000% certainty is that McDavid takes the Smythe in a win. I would love to see anyone argue against that.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
How much is that gonna suck for McDavid if he wins it in a game 7 loss

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I don't think we should ignore the fact that as recent as two games ago McDavid was choking, Barkov was putting on a clinic and Bobrovsky was basically having his name chiseled into the Conn Smythe. Two excellent games by McDavid certainly puts him in the "wins the Conn Smythe if he loses" conversation. But to act like it would be a scandal if Bobrovsky wins it is wrong as well. The exact same people that think he should have nothing to do with the trophy anymore would have admitted he should win it after Game 3. Now, these were two excellent statement games by McDavid. Were they ever! And 42 points in the playoffs is just otherworldly, and there is a reason only Gretzky and Lemieux ever did it. But there was a guy named Gretzky who did NOT win the Smythe in a losing cause with 40 playoff points. Nor did he win it in a winning cause with 34 points either - in fact his opponent did. Nor did he win it with 38 points in a losing cause either. Do we really ignore Bobrovsky if he returns to his Game 1 or 2 form? That cherry on top and that "go out on top" mindset wouldn't propel him to the Smythe? I could see him taking it to be honest. I could also see McDavid taking it, in a win or a loss. All I will agree on with 10000% certainty is that McDavid takes the Smythe in a win. I would love to see anyone argue against that.
Its records he broke and company he is in with the playoff points. The Con Smythe is technically for the entire playoffs, not just the finals. You cannot argue anyone had a better playoffs than McDavid when the only people ahead of McDavid are Gretzky and Lemieux. undoubtedly, McDavid wins the Con Smythe on merit, win or lose. Each game the Oilers claw back and draw closer to game 7 shouldn't matter after he got those points and joined that company in the record books.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I think he locked the Conn Smythe win tonight.

That assist to Perry was unbelievable. Who the hell goes through 3 guys like that in the Stanley Cup Finals?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kerberos

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Its records he broke and company he is in with the playoff points. The Con Smythe is technically for the entire playoffs, not just the finals. You cannot argue anyone had a better playoffs than McDavid when the only people ahead of McDavid are Gretzky and Lemieux. undoubtedly, McDavid wins the Con Smythe on merit, win or lose. Each game the Oilers claw back and draw closer to game 7 shouldn't matter after he got those points and joined that company in the record books.

You might be right, that could be how the voters see it. I don't recall the look Reggie Leach had in a losing cause when he won it (the only non-goalie to win it in a losing cause) for the Flyers after they were swept. I recall the dejected look Giguere had when he won it in 2003. There were some Devils fans booing him. But I can't imagine just how unimportant it would be to win that thing in a losing cause immediately after losing the Cup. So if McDavid wins it in a losing cause he isn't going to be a happy camper.

What if Bob gets a shutout in Game 6? If people think that is crazy he literally had one in Game 1 and allowed one goal in Game 2.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Bob has gone completely ice cold at the absolute worst time ever. If Florida was running a 1A/1B goalie setup, I would be going with 1B goalie for Game 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad