Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

paragon

May 5, 2010
Bobrovsky rocking a .909 has zero business winning a Conn Smythe now. I know, in general, he has been good. He has been consistent too. But a .909 just doesn't get you a Conn Smythe and it shouldn't.
I don't think total save% should matter. Who cares is you lose by one goal or 7, it's still a loss. Goalies MVP status should be based on how good he is when he wins. In fact if Bobrovsky bounces back in game 5 and shuts Oilers down, it shows more resilience and mental toughness to do so after a stinker.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I don't think total save% should matter. Who cares is you lose by one goal or 7, it's still a loss. Goalies MVP status should be based on how good he is when he wins. In fact if Bobrovsky bounces back in game 5 and shuts Oilers down, it shows more resilience and mental toughness to do so after a stinker.
Numbers do matter. Especially when voting for awards. If he wins a Conn Smythe with below a .910 SV%, it will be one of the weakest Conn Smythe runs of all time, and one of the weakest of the modern era.

Reactions: psycat and wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bets have it as

(Return on your money)
Bob x1.95
Barkov x 2.10
McDavid x8.5

Right now if it was tied between Barkov& Bob basically would be a lot tougher to see it handed to Bob, Bobs case is completely build around finals and he was taken off in one of the games
I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case as historically the Conn Smythe goes to a player on the winning team but...
giving it to losing side is a bad joke, insulting pretty much everyone
Why would it be insulting?

It's not like they don't have a trophy for the winning team though right?

It's not an automatic that the most valuable or best player in the layoffs comes from the winning team and the case for McDavid is stronger than for anyone else this playoffs.

After all the Conn Smythe is based on a player's performance during the entire NHL postseason instead of just the championship game or series.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Slapshot Sultan

Oct 5, 2017
This is why the Conn Smythe is an overglorified trophy. McDavid has put up the best performance in the playoffs no question, but your whole team has to perform as well and win the cup to get the smythe.

For Floridas side, Barkov is the only correct answer if McDavid doesn't win.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I would say Barkov if Florida wins. I’ve gained so much respect for him on these playoffs. He plays a near perfect 200 foot game and is a well-spoken leader. Hard to hate the guy but I kinda hate him right now lol

Reactions: sanscosm

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
1 atrocious game by the entire pahters roster doesn't somehow give Barkov a leg up on Bob.

McDavid has been the best player in the playoffs. Whether it's enough to get him the Smythe on a losing team is the debatable part.

• Love
Reactions: Mike C

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
1 atrocious game by the entire pahters roster doesn't somehow give Barkov a leg up on Bob.

McDavid has been the best player in the playoffs. Whether it's enough to get him the Smythe on a losing team is the debatable part.
It's not debatable. When the Oilers lose he will have a 0% chance like every other loser has

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
IF Bob returns to a great save % the rest of the games, however many, I get what people are saying that one bad loss shouldn’t skew his chances just because it would make the overall numbers wonky. He was by far one of the biggest reasons they have the series lead. Everybody drops a stinker.

PuckLuckCup

Jun 15, 2024
I think for McDavid to win it in a losing cause, the Oilers will have to bring the series to Game 7 and lose at that point.

It would be difficult to give McDavid the Conn Smythe if the Oilers lose 4-1 in the Finals.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Would be fine with them giving it to McDavid regardless of result, don't think Bobrovsky's stats measure up and McDavid is on one of the best playoff runs ever. That said generally I wan't a winner to get it so then it would be Barkov, if Florida wins of course. If Oilers win it's a nobrainer obviously.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think for McDavid to win it in a losing cause, the Oilers will have to bring the series to Game 7 and lose at that point.

It would be difficult to give McDavid the Conn Smythe if the Oilers lose 4-1 in the Finals.
Why do people keep saying stuff like this?

The year Reggie Leach won it in a losing effort his team got swept by Montreal in 4 straight.

Sure Leach had 4 goals in those 4 games but still....

Ignatius

Connor McCaitlin Clark
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Barkov's overall impact is like that of Cale Makar in 2022. He is just so incredibly dynamic and exceptional in every way. Bob has been outstanding but Sasha's contribution to this playoff run has been irreplaceable.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
I'd still give it to one of the Panthers. If the Oilers push it to 6 or 7 and McDavid is into the 40s it might be hard to ignore in a losing effort

Reactions: sanscosm

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Why do people keep saying stuff like this?

The year Reggie Leach won it in a losing effort his team got swept by Montreal in 4 straight.

Sure Leach had 4 goals in those 4 games but still....

I personally don't think the gap is big enough to give it to a player on the losing team. I think he needs to be a key factor in game 5 and maybe 6 to make it hard to ignore at this point

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I personally don't think the gap is big enough to give it to a player on the losing team. I think he needs to be a key factor in game 5 and maybe 6 to make it hard to ignore at this point
Well if you don't think a gap of 19 points over Barkov or that a .909 save% then I don't know what to say?

I'll say it again the Conn smythe is for the entire playoffs and sure it goes to a player on the winning team basically all of the time but no one has had the gap McDavid has had on a lsoing team ever so his post season is the eception to the rule IMO.

That being said I do think some of the voters will be close minded about it and it has to come from the SC winning team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad