Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
I root for McDavid every year out in the west, and he was a monster in these playoffs, but when it mattered absolutely most, he wasn't there. You just can't win the Conn Smythe if you didn't perform in the 2 biggest games of the season in my opinion.

Maybe the fact there was no clear frontrunner on Florida helped his cause.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
FLA deserved the Cup. McDavid deserved the Conn Smythe, which is given for the entire playoffs, one in which McDavid was in historic elite points production.

As for not coming out for the award it's not a great look, but if he did come out people would be on his case about only caring about individual awards and not team ones. Dude was probably devastated over the loss and was likely exhausted since his coach completely over played him in the third.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Bob got robbed.

Brick wall in four Cup Finals games after being a brick wall in the three previous series. McDavid did a great job racking up points against the Kings, though.
if there was a fight, Bob was my other choice. Played great in all series for the exception of 3 games in the final. Bob in the discussion for the Conn Smyth I agree... but the non sense on Barkov is insane.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
if there was a fight, Bob was my other choice. Played great in all series for the exception of 3 games in the final. Bob in the discussion for the Conn Smyth I agree... but the non sense on Barkov is insane.

Barkov was pretty incredible until he got elbowed in the face and concussed. Draisatl's only contribution in the finals.

Reactions: Voight and LGBlues

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Barkov was pretty incredible until he got elbowed in the face and concussed. Draisatl's only contribution in the finals.
not saying he is not a good player... responded to the Conn Smyth. 97 has 42 points, 11 in the final, + 12. At some point, put in correlation with Barkov 22 points and -1 is an evidence.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Eh, McDavid winning the Conn Smythe is truly a damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t situation.

His predictable detractors are going to hate, whatever he does. If he came out, there would be endless chirping and memes about how he only cares about individual hardware, and he couldn’t be bothered to be with his team after a crushing loss.

In reality, he stays in the back with his team, probably rallying them for next year, decides to keep the focus on Florida and their Cup celebration, and he’s deemed a sore loser, even though he was the first to go around and congratulate his opponents and the last to step off the ice after his teammates.

Just wish his detractors would admit they’re going to hate the guy regardless, instead of pretending to care about meeting their twisted requirements of what they think sportsmanship is.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Can’t understand why anyone would admire that baby in the first place. He had a chance this Final to silence all doubters, & choked in the biggest moment.
I'm sorry you have to be so insecure about a guy who has come to take away the crown from your favorite player, but McDavid didn't choke, he just got beat in the final game. This is what happened to Sid too in his first Stanley Cup Finals.

Keep in mind, McDavid has 11 points in this last series... That's a lot more than anybody else he was playing against.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
That's the best output in the Stanley Cup Final since the Flyers' Daniel Briere recorded 12 points in 2010. McDavid, 3-8-11, is just two assists and two points back of tying Gretzky for both categories in a single championship series. Gretzky had 10 assists and 13 points in 1988.[/B]

Yeah that would be impressive if we only watch point totals. He lost his matchup vs Barkov on 5 of 7 games. Doesn't matter if it's 10-0 or 1-0 win, it matters how many wins you can get. Mcdavid's 4 point game on a 8-1 win including points on goals 4-1, 5-1, 6-1 and 7-1 was definitely the best achievement ever. He was most important player on the ice on one game, game 5.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah that would be impressive if we only watch point totals. He lost his matchup vs Barkov on 5 of 7 games. Doesn't matter if it's 10-0 or 1-0 win, it matters how many wins you can get. Mcdavid's 4 point game on a 8-1 win including points on goals 4-1, 5-1, 6-1 and 7-1 was definitely the best achievement ever. He was most important player on the ice on one game, game 5.
It was not unimportant to stretch a 3-1 lead to a 5-1 lead early in the 2nd period. You're just doing revisionist history of an 8-1 game.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I'm sorry you have to be so insecure about a guy who has come to take away the crown from your favorite player, but McDavid didn't choke, he just got beat in the final game. This is what happened to Sid too in his first Stanley Cup Finals.

Keep in mind, McDavid has 11 points in this last series... That's a lot more than anybody else he was playing against.
Not insecure. Tired of the foolish proclamations. McGutless didn’t show tonight.

Tupu

Dec 20, 2012
Well canadian pretty posterguy won it, but cant finnish a true masterpiece I guess?

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Interesting divergent thoughts about McDavid not coming out to receive the Conn Smythe. In one way I can understand why. You just lost as a team and are mourning the loss as a team - would just be weird to say "one sec while I leave you guys to get my individual award".

That said, it probably put Bettman in an awkward position. Even McDavid's parents took out their phones expecting their son to come out to receive it. Maybe if the game was in Edmonton he may have. But I think it would have probably been good to maybe at least have a designate come out and receive it on his behalf, or at least let the league know he wasn't going to be coming out.

Reactions: Sentinel

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Let's put it this way does 97 wnningn MVP take a bit of the euphoria away from Cats fans? Answer is the biggest no in history.
I root for McDavid every year out in the west, and he was a monster in these playoffs, but when it mattered absolutely most, he wasn't there. You just can't win the Conn Smythe if you didn't perform in the 2 biggest games of the season in my opinion.

I agree but Conn Smythe = performance entire playoffs, technically.

Reactions: Bradely and pi314

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016

Why are people lumping in game 6? He was a plus player and the team won 5-1. He'd probably get criticized if he had gotten points on one of the ENG's yet it wouldn't have changed anything.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Eh, McDavid winning the Conn Smythe is truly a damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t situation.

His predictable detractors are going to hate, whatever he does. If he came out, there would be endless chirping and memes about how he only cares about individual hardware, and he couldn’t be bothered to be with his team after a crushing loss.

In reality, he stays in the back with his team, probably rallying them for next year, decides to keep the focus on Florida and their Cup celebration, and he’s deemed a sore loser, even though he was the first to go around and congratulate his opponents and the last to step off the ice after his teammates.

Just wish his detractors would admit they’re going to hate the guy regardless, instead of pretending to care about meeting their twisted requirements of what they think sportsmanship is.
I am a hater who will continue to hate.

This me:

1719288709105.png

• Haha
Reactions: pi314

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Not insecure. Tired of the foolish proclamations. McGutless didn’t show tonight.

Uh huh, I see you're not acknowledging any of the facts I brought up for you. :laugh:

McDavid will be back in the Finals soon enough to complete the job.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Why are people lumping in game 6? He was a plus player and the team won 5-1. He'd probably get criticized if he had gotten points on one of the ENG's yet it wouldn't have changed anything.
Because he didn't make an impact?

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
No, Florida was up 3-0 in the series and very obviously gave up in that game, arguably as soon as the 3rd goal.
And it wasn't just the points either. The depth players of Edmonton set the early tone over and over. When McDavid showed up, it was often after his teammates showed up first.

Interesting divergent thoughts about McDavid not coming out to receive the Conn Smythe. In one way I can understand why. You just lost as a team and are mourning the loss as a team - would just be weird to say "one sec while I leave you guys to get my individual award".
They all dream of winning that award. Please. We don't have to excuse the inexcusable. Just call the spade a spade. It was a disappointing moment that is emblematic of McDavid's off-ice persona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad