Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Barkov is the man, he is him. Matthew Tkachuk was right, he is the best player in the world.
NHL players do like to say some pretty absurd nonsense in support of their teammates. Barkov is a stretch as a top 10 player in the league, let alone better than a generational superstar like McDavid.

Last edited:

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
NHL players do like to say some pretty absurd nonsense in support of their teammates. Barkov is a stretch as a top 10 player in the league, let alone better than a generational superstar like McDavid.
I don't think Barkov is a stretch for top 10 at all.

In vague order, grouped:
McDavid
MacKinnon
Kucherov
Makar
Matthews
Draisaitl
Q. Hughes
Barkov

I think these guys are all roughly in the same tier. I thought I might be able to separate them, but you cant separate Makar from the top 3, and you cant separate Makar from Q. Hughes, and you can't separate Matthews from the top 3 forwards, either. I think Barkov is at least roughly as good as Matthews if you count both sides of the puck. These are all Tier 1 elite players in the league that could outplay the other on any given night, and while I think we would all say that McDavid > Barkov, I can't really say that he's an entire tier above another top 5 C in the game who's also the Top 1 two-way C in the game.

Last edited:

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Bob is clearly the new front runner through Game 1. Lots of hockey left to play.
I think Barkov is still slightly ahead for Fla, unless Bobrovsky has more performances like game 1 in the finals.

The Conn Smythe is not just "The Finals trophy", and Barkov has been fantastic all playoffs long, neutralizing opposing star players and being ppg+. As good as Bobrovsky has been (he was godly yesterday), he wasn't the best goalie on the ice the last two series, Shesterkin and Swayman were.

I can see the argument for Bob, but he is not the clear front runner.

In the end, if Florida wins, that's all that matters to me. Give the Smythe to an Oiler for all I care at that point!

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I'll say it again, if McDavid manages to reach the 40 point threshold or come very close to it. I think he should win the Smythe, regardless of whether they win or lose.

he'll have accomplished something only done by Gretzky and Lemieux. As good as Florida's players have been, none of them are near that level.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I think Barkov is still slightly ahead for Fla, unless Bobrovsky has more performances like game 1 in the finals.

The Conn Smythe is not just "The Finals trophy", and Barkov has been fantastic all playoffs long, neutralizing opposing star players and being ppg+. As good as Bobrovsky has been (he was godly yesterday), he wasn't the best goalie on the ice the last two series, Shesterkin and Swayman were.

I can see the argument for Bob, but he is not the clear front runner.

In the end, if Florida wins, that's all that matters to me. Give the Smythe to an Oiler for all I care at that point!

That’s fair. Good post.

Reactions: sanscosm

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Barkov or Bob if Florida wins.
McDavid if it’s Edmonton.
Still lots of hockey to play and lots of twists and turns. The Finals is by far the most important series.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Bob gave up 21 goals in last years cup final against Vegas and he was very upset in his performance. He's on a mission now and is redeeming himself.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Bobkov….
1717951195271.png

On a side note this post caused me to look him up, dudes killing it in the KHL rn

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Thinking fondly of hockey boomer James Duthie who predicted McDavid to get 3 points every game on the way to Cup and Conn Smythe. Because that's what it will take for the Oilers to win the series.

Bobkov for Smythe. If the Oilers are kept off the scoreboard consistently, Barkov.
If the Oilers start getting looks but Bob goes Patrick Roy, it's him.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
RNH's breakaway was a result of poor coverage by Barkov. The only reason it's not being talked about (in relation to Barkov) is because Bob bailed him out by making a monster save. Had Marner (just an example) made the exact same mistake, it would be in the back of the net because they don't have a Bob-level goalie between the pipes.

I only mention this because many have mentioned Barkov as MVP after game 1, and I think he had an average game at best. And yes - I realise the Smythe isn't just a Finals MVP trophy. Barkob has been great overall, just not necesarily in game 1 IMO. Going into the finals, it was him or Bob, and Bob just scored a big lead IMO.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
RNH's breakaway was a result of poor coverage by Barkov. The only reason it's not being talked about (in relation to Barkov) is because Bob bailed him out by making a monster save. Had Marner (just an example) made the exact same mistake, it would be in the back of the net because they don't have a Bob-level goalie between the pipes.

I only mention this because many have mentioned Barkov as MVP after game 1, and I think he had an average game at best. And yes - I realise the Smythe isn't just a Finals MVP trophy. Barkob has been great overall, just not necesarily in game 1 IMO. Going into the finals, it was him or Bob, and Bob just scored a big lead IMO.
I agree, Barkov made couple huge mistakes. Outside of these mistakes, he broke plays and played pretty much perfect defensive game. Not a horrible defensive game, but far from his usual standard. I still would rate Bennett performance higher by decent margin, because he was like mad man out there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad