Speculation: Who will be the best players on waivers before the season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Maroody is way too slow for the NHL. He's like the Jason Allison of the AHL. Puts up decent numbers, but I personally don't see him ever cracking an NHL squad.

Benson has been among the top-scorers of the AHL for 3 years now but for some reason or another, he's never been able to make that jump to the Oilers. Shocking considering how poor our depth was last season. He's in a bit of a tough spot, because Tippett prefers his bottom-6 to penalty kill, whereas his skillset is more tailored for the top-6 where there isn't any room to play. The knock on him has always been his skating.

I kinda hope he makes the roster and bumps Turris off. But if he shits the best like he has every other training camp then he's likely waived.

Any team with worse forward depth than the Oilers might take him from waivers, but not many teams fit that.
Seattle maybe?

I sorta feel like if he's not an Oiler, he's Europe bound.
Benson also was hurt by COVID last year. Not that he had it, but in that he couldn't be called up for a day or two to fill in, which likely would have happened if it was a normal year. It was either leave him on the taxi squad, or send him to the minors to get game time, and they preferred him to have game time. That meant he was only going to be called up to take a spot permanently, like McLeod was. It's too bad, he's the kind of guy that has the tools to make an impact if given the chance. Like you said though, the biggest obstacle might be the coach. Benson is a playmaking left winger. With McDavid and Draisaitl, the Oilers don't need a playmaker in the top six, so it relegates Benson to bottom six icetime, and his skillset might not be the best suited for a Tippett bottom six, although I would love to see him reunited with McLeod. Benson - McLeod - Archibald could be an interesting line.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
These obscure players from my favorite team that you've never heard of, because they're actually scrubs, will probably get claimed.

Trust me, I'm an expert.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Metro
Columbus

Gabriel Carlsson, LHD
Mikko Lehtonen, LHD

Pittsburgh

Dom Simon, LW
Louis Domnigue, G
Sam Lafferty, F
Evan Rodrigues, F

Islanders

Leo Komarov, F
Richard Panik, F
Kieffer Bellows, F

Michael Dal Colle, F
Ross Johnston, F
Thomas Hickey, LHD
Sebastian Aho, LHD

Flyers
German Rubtsov, F
Sam Morin, D

Nate Thompson, F
Derick Brassard, F

Rangers

Jared Tinordi, D
Anthony Bitetto, D

Washington -
Matt irwin, LHD

New Jersey -
Scott Wedgewood, G

Carolina - no one of interest
Gabriel Carlson is an interesting one

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Cale Fleury would have been the guy, but he got picked by Seattle.

Habs pre-season waivers will be Dea, Dauphin, Vejdemo, Baddock, Pezzetta, Belzile, Belpedio, Ouellet and McNiven. One of those might stick at the start of the season since Byron is out so we would be at 13F/7D. Not much there to claim.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Seattle -
Dennis Cholowski, LHD
Morgan Geekie, F

Alex True, F
Will Borgen, RHD
Cale Fleury, RHD

Colin Twarynski, LW
Kole Lind, LW

Francis made a lot of questionable picks at the expansion draft, but I don't see Seattle waiving all those kids for the likes of Sheahan.

Putting Fleury on waivers when they drafted his brother just seems weird.

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
With Crosby and Malkin out to start the season for the Pens, while KK being plucked out of Montreal by Carolina, it seems like many teams could use some center depth from the waiver pool. Any decent center out there that might possibly hit the waivers?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Francis made a lot of questionable picks at the expansion draft, but I don't see Seattle waiving all those kids for the likes of Sheahan.

Putting Fleury on waivers when they drafted his brother just seems weird.
They signed Borgen to a contract that says he's in the top-8 for their team. Cholowski and Fleury would seem like obvious candidates to waive.

Up front Twarynski was picked to send down. Perhaps that leaves a final spot for Lind and Geekie to battle for once Gourde goes on IR. I think Geekie would win, but who knows.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They signed Borgen to a contract that says he's in the top-8 for their team. Cholowski and Fleury would seem like obvious candidates to waive.

Up front Twarynski was picked to send down. Perhaps that leaves a final spot for Lind and Geekie to battle for once Gourde goes on IR. I think Geekie would win, but who knows.

I agree on Geekie and I think waiving him could be a potential mistake. They should probably keep him on the roster and go with 9 dmen. Sheahan, Twarinsky & Blackwell are the most likely waiver candidates at F IMO.

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Montreal won’t have anyone off the top of my head, there is a situation though where one of Paquette, perreault, or byron may end up on waivers if Poehling surprises at main camp

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Koskinen is a good possibility. Holland does not want to run 3 goalies and Stalock would probably get plucked by another team. I could see ECHL for Kosko if Stalock shows anything at all in camp

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Julian Gauthier is most likely going to get waived due to the sheer number of wingers the rangers have. It’s unfortunate because he still has solid potential. He’s big and fast with pretty good hands, but Quinn hates him so he barely played.i still think he has potential to be a 15-20 goal guy. Whoever picks him up needs to give him a top 9 role with some talented players. He’s good a good shot, and last season when he played, was actually taking the puck to the net and creating chances. He Lead the AHL in goals not too long ago.
Even though he’s big and fast and looks like a body builder, he’s not a physical player. He’s not going to go around the ice hitting or anything like that, which drives people crazy because of how big and fast he is
The team that snags him should put him on a 3rd line looking to add offense. He’ll thrive in that roll with solid minutes

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Seattle has like 17 forwards and 11 defencemen that are waivers eligible.

I wonder how many, if any get claimed.

A few teams could get their players back if they wish.

That's some solid GM'ing there by Francis.

Way to hold firm on your trade demands leading up to the expansion draft and not make a single deal. Hope they lose a few guys to waivers.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Julian Gauthier is most likely going to get waived due to the sheer number of wingers the rangers have. It’s unfortunate because he still has solid potential. He’s big and fast with pretty good hands, but Quinn hates him so he barely played.i still think he has potential to be a 15-20 goal guy. Whoever picks him up needs to give him a top 9 role with some talented players. He’s good a good shot, and last season when he played, was actually taking the puck to the net and creating chances. He Lead the AHL in goals not too long ago.
Even though he’s big and fast and looks like a body builder, he’s not a physical player. He’s not going to go around the ice hitting or anything like that, which drives people crazy because of how big and fast he is
The team that snags him should put him on a 3rd line looking to add offense. He’ll thrive in that roll with solid minutes
This is an interesting one. He's the kind of guy that I would love my team to take a chance on, but I don't know if we have the room for another developing player either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad